Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay "WhoJedi" Newnum: Tip-stealing sociopath, or victim of a cruel prank?

Load Metric
    You poor fucks in media must really be paid shit if you need to steal $700 with chopsticks and duct tape.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    You poor fucks in media must really be paid shit if you need to steal $700 with chopsticks and duct tape.
    That's the thing that is hard for me to wrap my head around with this story. I don't think Jay was getting paid a ton (none of us in the poker media are getting rich), but he seems to have been doing fairly well. He does a lot of work for poker players on Twitter (which I always envisioned as a good source of income for him) plus he had steady work at Foxwoods, WSOP, and Matt Savage tournaments. He took some really good pics and he was always willing to let just about anyone use them for free, with just a byline.

Granted, I've never met Jay (although we did make plans a couple of times to meet at Foxwoods which I had to break) and other than e-mail and DM stuff I've only talked to him on the phone once or twice, but this doesn't seem to fit with the guy I know. He was always helpful, responsive, and never asked for anything in return. This wasn't a Jasep character who was always running some get rich scheme and he never showed signs of being a degen or overly money driven. Just kind of a family guy trying to make it in the poker industry.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    I cannot envision how he could have executed the theft. Toke box is right next to dealers leg. Poker players are generally pretty alert to what is happening at the table.

Regardless, the story got me to reminiscing about tips.

Foxwoods pools dealer tips unlike Mohegan. Hate that but it's an endless discussion.

I used to grind poker all night after arriving late in evening. Early morning, say around 5am, I would reward myself with craps upstairs if I had done well.

I love craps after the boredom, stress, needling and head games of the poker table. Early morning offered a cheap game - $5 minimum and in later years sometimes $2.

The early morning crowd was a regular crew of hard core players. Great crew and the comradery was always a relief. Craps is fun as most players are generally rooting for the same outcome.

Point of my story

Often at 4-5am, four or five dealers would bring all the tips accrued the previous day to one of the empty craps tables nearby and dump them on the felt.. No security standing by!

The tips would fill the table to several inches in depth. Absolutely a spectacular multicolored site. The dealers would then set about assembling chip denominations.

There were often broke degens from the night hanging around the crap table looking for handouts and killing time for new ATM cycle or busses.

We used to challenge these guys to swan dive into the chips - how much would it take?

Can't believe I never took a picture of the crap table full of chips.

If you were a thief that shoulda been your target.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    He sold pieces of himself for the LAPC and Foxwoods about a year ago:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/18...ckage-1279463/

He claims to have cashed in the first one for $820 and then bricked the rest of them.

Is there any way people can verify he actually played the events he played?

This whole thing reminds me of Jasep on so many levels.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I cannot envision how he could have executed the theft. Toke box is right next to dealers leg. Poker players are generally pretty alert to what is happening at the table.
    These are tournament tokes which are off to the side in the tournament area at Foxwoods. totally different than regular dealer tokes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Confirmed by pokerfuse, who obtained the court documents:

http://pokerfuse.com/news/industry/p...larceny-10-01/

According to court documents obtained by pokerfuse, Newnum was subject to an on-site arrest on December 16, 2013 and had the case disposed of on December 24 by applying for Accelerated Pretrial Rehabilitation, a program in Connecticut that allows first time offenders accused of a crime to bypass a term of jail time in instances where the violation is not considered of a serious nature.
    His Twitter was indeed dark on December 16 and 17.

He announced that he was applying for a Pokerstars job on December 19, including the hashtag #HireWhoJedi.

A bunch of big name pros got on the #HireWhoJedi train:

Pretty ballsy.

Steal dealer tips, get caught, get arrested, get out of jail, hide the whole thing, rally the poker community to support you being hired for a new job.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I suck at video editing (but on the bright side, won't be stealing from tip jars any time soon), but try to enjoy anyway...

Poker Investigative Journalist
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Point of my story

Often at 4-5am, four or five dealers would bring all the tips accrued the previous day to one of the empty craps tables nearby and dump them on the felt.. No security standing by!
    Reminds me of the time Garry Gates walked away from the special floor-level PN-only media table at the WSOP in '09, pretty much right underneath the Doyle and Stuey banners on the north wall of the Amazon Room, and left something like $27,000 in Bellagio chips unattended, right on the front of the table. (Amazingly, I noticed them before some random player did, so Gates and G got them back.) I think that was the same year one of the Rio workers found a $10K chip under a rail when they were disassembling poker tables.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Billy the Local 2121 President is pissed.

To All Dealers & Assistant Supervisors,

Since the story broke that there was a theft of $700 of dealer tokes in the Poker Room some in the Poker community have doubted the legitimacy of this posting. I have received some very disturbing personal comments and attacks for going the social media route in dispensing this story. Everything pertaining to this incident, with the exception of his affiliation, is accurate and factual. Some in the poker world have asked me to take down the post because there is a lack of court documents to verify these accusations. I under no circumstance will do so because our Poker dealers have every right to factual information and information in general. When considering this post, I made sure that the information was correct and not fiction filled. Again, our members have every right to be informed of incidents and I assure you all, in the future I would do the same in order to protect and keep all members well informed.

I was elected to this position not to lie down and cater to anyone or any pressure placed upon me. I will never compromise the integrity of our members or union but I will fight for what is right and this overall issue is so wrong in many different ways.

President of UAW Local 2121

Billy

Comments

ftpjesus: Auto Workers Union getting pissed and bitchy whatelse is new. But then again why the UAW.. This would seem more like a Teamsters type Union situation.

Load Metric

To All Dealers & Assistant Supervisors,

Since the story broke that there was a theft of $700 of dealer tokes in the Poker Room some in the Poker community have doubted the legitimacy of this posting. I have received some very disturbing personal comments and attacks for going the social media route in dispensing this story. Everything pertaining to this incident, with the exception of his affiliation, is accurate and factual. Some in the poker world have asked me to take down the post because there is a lack of court documents to verify these accusations. I under no circumstance will do so because our Poker dealers have every right to factual information and information in general. When considering this post, I made sure that the information was correct and not fiction filled. Again, our members have every right to be informed of incidents and I assure you all, in the future I would do the same in order to protect and keep all members well informed.

I was elected to this position not to lie down and cater to anyone or any pressure placed upon me. I will never compromise the integrity of our members or union but I will fight for what is right and this overall issue is so wrong in many different ways.

President of UAW Local 2121

Billy

Jay obviously stole something, but between this --is this Union Boss really claiming he's coming under attack from poker media types?-- and the 2+2 crowd's faux outrage you'd think we were reliving Full Tilt Poker or something. The mentality that this is a big story is laughable, it's a story about a guy on the periphery of the poker community (I doubt 90% of the outraged people even knew he was before the thread) who allegedly stole money from a tip box at Foxwoods. Yet 2+2 wants to have the PCA suspended until further notice and every poker media member descend on the Ledyard police department and court for answers.

What could possibly be added to the story that isn't known at this point? Schadenfreude at its finest. Seems like the guy fucked up and he's definitely going to pay for it, at least professionally.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

Jay obviously stole something, but between this --is this Union Boss really claiming he's coming under attack from poker media types?-- and the 2+2 crowd's faux outrage you'd think we were reliving Full Tilt Poker or something. The mentality that this is a big story is laughable, it's a story about a guy on the periphery of the poker community (I doubt 90% of the outraged people even knew he was before the thread) who allegedly stole money from a tip box at Foxwoods. Yet 2+2 wants to have the PCA suspended until further notice and every poker media member descend on the Ledyard police department and court for answers.

What could possibly be added to the story that isn't known at this point? Schadenfreude at its finest. Seems like the guy fucked up and he's definitely going to pay for it, at least professionally.
    I don't know about the whack jobs who think the PCA should be suspended (what??), but I believe that this guy really is coming under attack from people who don't want him to say anything "until he has court documents" or whatever.

Probably friends of Jay's who are still in denial, and are still afraid that perhaps he is being wrongfully accused in some way.

I actually saw a few public posts on the Facebook page of that description.

I believe that guy really is under fire by some people who are angry at him for publicizing this, especially when it had not been made public despite almost 4 weeks passing since. (One question for Billly, though... why did he wait so long?)

He's 100% right that he should be posting about it if these are the facts, however.

It is completely legal and ethical to make such a report provided that the facts reported are correct.

Load Metric

I don't know about the whack jobs who think the PCA should be suspended (what??), but I believe that this guy really is coming under attack from people who don't want him to say anything "until he has court documents" or whatever.

Probably friends of Jay's who are still in denial, and are still afraid that perhaps he is being wrongfully accused in some way.

I actually saw a few public posts on the Facebook page of that description.

I believe that guy really is under fire by some people who are angry at him for publicizing this, especially when it had not been made public despite almost 4 weeks passing since. (One question for Billly, though... why did he wait so long?)

He's 100% right that he should be posting about it if these are the facts, however.

It is completely legal and ethical to make such a report provided that the facts reported are correct.
    The PCA thing was a joke in reference to 2+2 thinking every poker media member is on the conspiracy to sweep this under the rug, you know to protect are own, lol.

He was definitely right to out him. I think he waited because he thought people would find out, but when nobody did he was afraid the court ruling would get sealed after 20 days. Anyone attacking this guy is off their rocker.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Lots of fan boys over on 2+2 and people who don't want to believe something to be true unless their is a sufficient amount of evidence thrown in their face where they must see reality.

I haven't followed all of the thread but from what it appears Jay sure looks guilty of at least something and taking the silent treatment is a clear tell of this.

While $700 isn't much money it's still theft from dealers who rely on tip money as a big portion of their job so stealing from them is a very low life thing to do.

LOL @ Jay getting a job with Pokerstars. If you are determined guilty of stealing from the poker community even if you don't touch money again you shouldn't get opportunities for jobs like that when their are more honest people who deserve it then him.

Load Metric
    He probably decided to post this info because he found out that this clown was trying to drum up support, as evidenced by his tweets, to get another job in the poker community with Pokerstars as if nothing had happened. He's just making sure people know something did happen & to be leery of this guy.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Poker Investigative Journalist
    Load Metric
    I'm trying to catch up with the various threads on it right now, as I drove to the Twin Cities and played in a cribbage tournament over the weekend and have been largely off the intertubes for about three days.

There's an interesting dichotomy here between the apparent soft-peddling or ignoring of the story by a lot of outlets, and the fact that it's a smallish theft. I find it hard to crucify someone over $700, but as thefts go, this is a very despicable $700 example. Stealing someone else's tips is only a couple of ticks less obnoxious than stealing money out of a charity jar.

I'm beat tonight but I'll probably do something on 4Flush on this tomorrow.

Comments

Hockey Guy: cribbage tournament rep

Load Metric
    Paging SS. You must know this guy.

What are your thoughts on this?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

You can see my drunken knee-jerk reaction in the 2+2 thread.

Now sober, and with some time to reflect, I'm saddened by this news. I still don't know exactly what happened, but it doesn't look good.

Jay and I were roommates this summer at the WSOP. I guess I don't know him super well, but I like him a lot. Everyone who knows him does. He has a knack for endearing himself to people, always super friendly and happy to see you when you cross paths. He never asked for anything from me, but was always happy to give me stuff when I was out like smokes, beer and food. That summer was pretty rough on me, for a number of reasons, and he was always supportive when I was feeling like shit.

None of that is really pertinent here, I'm just explaining why I'm so disappointed if this is true, and that I probably won't be seeing him around anymore. Beyond that, I don't know anything more than you guys do. I texted him as soon as I saw the thread to alert him of it and never received a response.

Comments

Sanlmar: Ex roomie tip stealing during SS creative jag - lyrics are prolly already finished

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Now sober, and with some time to reflect, I'm saddened by this news. I still don't know exactly what happened, but it doesn't look good.

Jay and I were roommates this summer at the WSOP. I guess I don't know him super well, but I like him a lot. Everyone who knows him does. He has a knack for endearing himself to people, always super friendly and happy to see you when you cross paths. He never asked for anything from me, but was always happy to give me stuff when I was out like smokes, beer and food. That summer was pretty rough on me, for a number of reasons, and he was always supportive when I was feeling like shit.

None of that is really pertinent here, I'm just explaining why I'm so disappointed if this is true, and that I probably won't be seeing him around anymore. Beyond that, I don't know anything more than you guys do. I texted him as soon as I saw the thread to alert him of it and never received a response.
    I don't know Jay Newnum but stories like this are very common. What I mean by that is someone seems to be a stand up person who don't appear like they would ever steal in this manner when they offered beer, food,etc. on their own dime and then something happens where they in fact do just the opposite aka go from giver to taker sometimes in a thief like manner.

Perhaps Jay was financially stable enough in the time you stayed with him or so he thought as in he could get by each month but probably didn't have any money saved then all the sudden something happened whether it be a gambling issue or other various life expense issues where he needed money so this was his way of trying to get it. This probably wasn't his plan all along like Jasep for example but it's clear Jay fell into some financial hardship where instead of asking people to loan him money he took this route of robbing from dealers which is wrong on so many levels.

If things weren't as they seem you would think Jay would be defending himself whether it's over on 2+2 or twitter saying their is a misunderstanding but that don't appear to be the case. I also don't think the source that outed him would do that without hard evidence to back their claim.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

I don't know Jay Newnum but stories like this are very common. What I mean by that is someone seems to be a stand up person who don't appear like they would ever steal in this manner when they offered beer, food,etc. on their own dime and then something happens where they in fact do just the opposite aka go from giver to taker sometimes in a thief like manner.

Perhaps Jay was financially stable enough in the time you stayed with him or so he thought as in he could get by each month but probably didn't have any money saved then all the sudden something happened whether it be a gambling issue or other various life expense issues where he needed money so this was his way of trying to get it. This probably wasn't his plan all along like Jasep for example but it's clear Jay fell into some financial hardship where instead of asking people to loan him money he took this route of robbing from dealers which is wrong on so many levels.

If things weren't as they seem you would think Jay would be defending himself whether it's over on 2+2 or twitter saying their is a misunderstanding but that don't appear to be the case. I also don't think the source that outed him would do that without hard evidence to back their claim.
    Actually I would say that 95+% of people who seem to be a standup person are actually standup people. Unfortunately we don't hear to much about them, instead we hear about the people few individuals who go off the rails.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually I would say that 95+% of people who seem to be a standup person are actually standup people. Unfortunately we don't hear to much about them, instead we hear about the people few individuals who go off the rails.
    That's exactly true in society that we only hear about negative experiences and not all the positive ones whether it be with an individual, stay at a hotel, restaurant visit,etc... People love to vent their frustrations to get the word out there but not as many will share all the positive things that go on in their life.

Comments

Steve-O: philosophy rep

Thread Information