Thread: Greg Maddux left off HOF Ballot

Load Metric

Greg Maddux left off HOF Ballot

Heard on Mike n Mike this morning they are leaving him off the ballot as a snub to the steroid era. IMO its unlikely maddux was involved with PEDs. He was never known to throw heat even early in his career. His dominance was due to efficiency and outleveling his competition.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by varys View Post
    Heard on Mike n Mike this morning they are leaving him off the ballot as a snub to the steroid era. IMO its unlikely maddux was involved with PEDs. He was never known to throw heat even early in his career. His dominance was due to efficiency and outleveling his competition.
    I am pretty sure this is the guy who left Maddux off his ballot. https://twitter.com/kengurnick He won't vote for steroid era guys yet he voted for Jack Morris ONLY who did play in the steroid era.

I'm not implicating maddux for using steroids but just cause I guy isn't throwing heat doesn't mean he couldn't be on steroids or some form of PEDs. Clemens always threw heat and it is pretty convincing he was huge juicer and his velocity actually went down later in his career and he still dominated.

These writers are huge jokes especially a guy like Jon Heyman who is widely considered good at what he did. He said Mike Mussina won 270 games without the use of steroids through the steroid era. How the fuck does Jon Heyman know who was or wasn't using using steroids? He also put Frank Thomas as his #3 guy voted in this year behind maddux and glavine and gives him bonus points based on the fact that he has spoken out against PEDS. Again how the fuck does Jon Heyman know that Frank Thomas wasn't juicing his brains out?

Best guys of the era should get voted in period. Steroids shmeroids. There was no testing in place and the players played the games. The games happened and some guys dominated. If you did that you should get voted in but all these writers want to play god.

Personally I don't give a fuck who cheated or who didn't. Just put in the best players.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just shows the huge joke that is the baseball writer's association , there was cheating in every era of baseball period (greenies , peds , people took cocaine in the 20s and 30s lol , spit balls , scuffing up the ball , vaseline , sandpaper in back pocket) it is a never ending conversation . Put in the players that dominated and didn't violate the rules while they were playing !

Load Metric
    This is not true. He was left off ONE ballot. Hes in with frank Thomas and tom glavine
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Leaving Maddux off is completely retarded.

I think the point about Maddux and roids was that his skill set isn't really helped much by roids, so it's pretty clear that his success was not related to them (and he likely didn't take them).

He was not a power pitcher.

He did not need help healing from injury.

He did not see any sort of weird surge late in his career when he otherwise should have been in decline. Maddux's career pretty much followed exactly what you'd expect from a MLB pitcher. He came up early (age 20), had a terrible first full season, righted the ship the next season, and then was super-dominant from 1992-1998, ages 26-32. After that, he remained good (but not great) for five more seasons, and then was mediocre (ERA around 4) for his final 5 seasons, age 38-42.

If Maddux was doing roids, you would have seen him continuing to dominate well into his 30s (maybe 40s). The decline after age 32 was the natural affect of his body no longer able to fully execute what his mind wanted it to do -- pretty much exactly what happens to all professional athletes in their later careers.

Take a look at guys like Bonds or Clemens, who were having inexplicable dominant seasons after age 40. That wasn't Maddux.

Load Metric
    The BBWAA is just bent on manufacturing the controversy needed to write new copy. If you are not covering winter sports it's gotta be a little slow and difficult to pump out a column.

Love to see ex players brought into the voting mix. How does some journalism major who can type 40 WPM and studied Edward R. Murrow bring anything more credible than your average fantasy baseball bettor to the equation?

Hard to pay much attention to the noise.

College baseball players are called back early from Christmas break next week for first day of organized practice.

Baseball is not far away.

Fun to listen to the kids discuss the bonus money that was out there for some after their summer league (cape cod, necbl, etc) play. Baseball just has so much money to throw kids who honestly have no realistic shot beyond the minors.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-08-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Greg Maddux is one of the best pure location pitchers ever. Even for people who don't respect a guy throwing at the corners of the plate with accuracy his numbers themselves don't lie the guy belongs in the HOF along with Glavine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    This is not true. He was left off ONE ballot. Hes in with frank Thomas and tom glavine
    Yep. I jumped the gun here. My bad yall.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    actually he was left off 16 peoples ballots

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    HOF voters are worse than NFL ref's and and NFL rules

since when does a baseball writer, even retired ones not even following things get to morally judge these athletes and decide their future in the HOf..

jpokecity

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    what irks me is the veterans committee putting in lessor players. this reallly messes shit up and waters down the talent.

look up bill mazerowski...this fucker is in the HOF......lol

i could think of 100 2nd basemen not in the HOF that were better..

lou whitaker should be in the HOF based of maz's stats....come to think of it, alan trammel should be as well. he was a great hitter and a great glove at SS..where's his name?

it's all bs...and baseball should fucking die..

Comments

Deal: Ship the entire 84' Tiger team to the hof

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This nuthugging Boaton writer Sean Mcadam voted for Jeff Bagwell but not Piazza because he has heard "rumors" of PED use lol

They are all fucking clowns.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Frank Thomas is from my hometown (Columbus, Ga). Props to him for making it in. Dude has done a lot for his alma mater (Columbus High School). I remember watching him in High School. He was the kicker on the football team. Dude was huge. Went on to play for that school on the plains. Played football and baseball.

Comments

big dick: fuck thomas

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    actually he was left off 16 peoples ballots
    I can't ever see someone getting voted on all ballots. There are handful of voters who have personal agendas or are just borderline retarded to provide a rationale vote. 75% I think is still a good number to have to hit to weed out the wacko votes though. Biggio was a few votes short. I think he gets in next year.

Thread Information