Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android 4.3 OTA update issues

Load Metric

Android 4.3 OTA update issues

I have a Galaxsy S3 and the Over The Air update came through today.

DO NOT Update if you havent already. Lots of annoying bugs. WiFi will constantly go out every few seconds, battery drain and screens freezing up too.

:themoreyouknow

Banned
    Load Metric
    still running whatever came with the lg g2, i think it's 4.2.2?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post

DO NOT Update if you havent already. Lots of annoying bugs. WiFi will constantly go out every few seconds, battery drain and screens freezing up too.

this is apparently a common problem with samsung phones when updating android, a factory reset after updating usually fixes most of them, just backup whatever you dont want to lose.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've the S3 on Sprint and have been on the 4.3 update since before Christmas. So far no real issues for me but I've read several stories of people who have had them.

Load Metric

That's google's plan. Upgrade your phone to the nexus 5.

Load Metric
    So, I just dealt with THIS bullshit when I went to my Verizon store to try to fix it.

Obviously, they barely knew about any issues, even though its been an issue for a year.

Me: Im having trouble with the wifi connection since yesterday morning, when the OTA update came through to push 4.3

Them: Hmmm, not sure what happened. Lets look at your phone.

<pulls out her Mobile Hotspot, which was sitting right under her desk. Connects my phone to it...Manager walks over>

Looks like it is connecting fine <waits 30 seconds> HERE, LETS TRY TO DOWNLOAD AN APP. HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW ISIS MOBILE PAYMENTS WE ARE USING?

Me: <looking at it in indifference> Yeah, I know what it is.

Them: LETS SEE IF WE CAN DOWNLOAD THAT APP ONTO YOUR PHONE

Me: <oh, for fucks sake...dont tell me you are pulling this shit with your customers just to get them to sign up for this crap>

<he then downloads the app, and dicks around for a minute>

Them: OH, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU NEED A NEW SIM CARD WITH THE NFC THAT IS USED WITH THIS APP. GIVE ME A MINUTE AND I WILL GIVE YOU A NEW ONE...ITS NEW TECHNOLOGY <has those handy little fucking cards right next to him. Takes two minutes to put it in> YOU GET $10 IN FREE CREDIT FOR YOUR FIRST PURCHASE <yeah, and how much commission do you now get for putting this shit on my phone, prick?>

<me, sitting her shaking my head because he has yet to address my issue>

Them: YEAH, I HAVE HEARD OF A FEW PEOPLE HAVING ISSUES WITH THE WIFI. YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEM TO FIX THINGS AND DO AN UPDATE

<you could have told me that before you pimped your fucking ISIS app on me, you twat>

Them: You might need to get a new router.

Me: <I now want to kill this guy>

In the meantime, the update has my RAM spiking to almost 90%, my battery is draining around 1% every 4 minutes, the wifi disconnects every 7-10 seconds, so you cant use any apps like espn or sirius, and there is a lag when you wake the phone up to use it. Its crashed in the middle of two phone calls, and froze twice where I had to reset it.
    Last edited by DRK Star; 01-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Load Metric
    So, I just dealt with THIS bullshit when I went to my Verizon store to try to fix it.

Obviously, they barely knew about any issues, even though its been an issue for a year.

Me: Im having trouble with the wifi connection since yesterday morning, when the OTA update came through to push 4.3

Them: Hmmm, not sure what happened. Lets look at your phone.

<pulls out her Mobile Hotspot, which was sitting right under her desk. Connects my phone to it...Manager walks over>

Looks like it is connecting fine <waits 30 seconds> HERE, LETS TRY TO DOWNLOAD AN APP. HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW ISIS MOBILE PAYMENTS WE ARE USING?

Me: <looking at it in indifference> Yeah, I know what it is.

Them: LETS SEE IF WE CAN DOWNLOAD THAT APP ONTO YOUR PHONE

Me: <oh, for fucks sake...dont tell me you are pulling this shit with your customers just to get them to sign up for this crap>

<he then downloads the app, and dicks around for a minute>

Them: OH, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU NEED A NEW SIM CARD WITH THE NFC THAT IS USED WITH THIS APP. GIVE ME A MINUTE AND I WILL GIVE YOU A NEW ONE...ITS NEW TECHNOLOGY <has those handy little fucking cards right next to him. Takes two minutes to put it in> YOU GET $10 IN FREE CREDIT FOR YOUR FIRST PURCHASE <yeah, and how much commission do you now get for putting this shit on my phone, prick?>

<me, sitting her shaking my head because he has yet to address my issue>

Them: YEAH, I HAVE HEARD OF A FEW PEOPLE HAVING ISSUES WITH THE WIFI. YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEM TO FIX THINGS AND DO AN UPDATE

<you could have told me that before you pimped your fucking ISIS app on me, you twat>

Them: You might need to get a new router.

Me: <I now want to kill this guy>

In the meantime, the update has my RAM spiking to almost 90%, my battery is draining around 1% every 4 minutes, the wifi disconnects every 7-10 seconds, so you cant use any apps like espn or sirius, and there is a lag when you wake the phone up to use it. Its crashed in the middle of two phone calls, and froze twice where I had to reset it.
    Classic Samsung update.

Go into Settings and see what is using up all the battery.

Report back findings here and I can help you resolve your phone issues.

Load Metric
    Screen 32%
    Voice Calls 13%
    android system 12%
    android OS 9%
    Google play services 5%
    cell standby 3%
    device idle 3%
    Smooth Calendar 3%
    google search 2%

Went into watchdog
    smooth calendar is now using 12.8 cpu
    android system 3.2
    settings 2.0
    touchwiz home 0.5
    com.sec.android.nearby.mediaserver:serv 0.3
    phone 0.2

just went to task manager
    1.13GB/1.56GB is being used

when I clear the memory, it drops to 0.89

Active applications: 0

2 minutes later, ram is back up to 1.13 GB

In doing this for the last 5 minutes, the battery dropped 5%

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    this is apparently a common problem with samsung phones when updating android, a factory reset after updating usually fixes most of them, just backup whatever you dont want to lose.
    Did you do this yet? Super standard after any update.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Didnt want to do this after reading about other people thinking this would work, they tried it, it didnt work, and now they had to spend hours setting their phones back up where they had them and get all the old apps.

Load Metric
    The best thing to do is re-image and add back only the apps you use. phone apps contain bloatware that downloads additional crap and a periodic reimage is the way to go. And fuck the image they give you and all the tracking apps they force on you, root the phone and put something else on it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2235366

This may be a better guide as it does everything you really want:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1974114
    Last edited by Deal; 01-08-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

Didnt want to do this after reading about other people thinking this would work, they tried it, it didnt work, and now they had to spend hours setting their phones back up where they had them and get all the old apps.
    If it takes hours then they are doing it wrong.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Screen 32%
    Voice Calls 13%
    android system 12%
    android OS 9%
    Google play services 5%
    cell standby 3%
    device idle 3%
    Smooth Calendar 3%
    google search 2%

Went into watchdog
    smooth calendar is now using 12.8 cpu
    android system 3.2
    settings 2.0
    touchwiz home 0.5
    com.sec.android.nearby.mediaserver:serv 0.3
    phone 0.2

just went to task manager
    1.13GB/1.56GB is being used

when I clear the memory, it drops to 0.89

Active applications: 0

2 minutes later, ram is back up to 1.13 GB

In doing this for the last 5 minutes, the battery dropped 5%
    You have background applications with the RAM gain you are seeing

You need to figure out if it is an installed Application or something that went bad in the update.

Easiest way is to do a factory reset like LLL and then add your Apps back one at time to figure out which one is causing the problem.

Other option is to update all apps and then begin removing them one by one by deeming which is most likely to have caused the problem.

Anything that monitors battery, customizes settings, customizes lock screen that isn't a game/social media/productivity app would be the likely candidates.

Load Metric
    Follow up question

How old is the router you are connecting to and have you tried connecting any place else?

Load Metric
    thanks for input guys.

If you read this, you can see that nothing is working for people trying to fix their issues. I have also deleted apps that I have downloaded in the past week and it didnt fix anything.

https://community.verizonwireless.co...art=0&tstart=0

Load Metric
    Phone is STILL fucked up.

My battery drain has improved, but cant connect via WiFi with any consistency and blue tooth is a total crap shoot. Only works about 25% of the time.

phone now crashes when I use the camera (and it doesnt even save the photo).

lights still flash like a strobe when someone calls, phone freezes, lags horribly

they gave me a $30 credit for our bill (where three of us have Android 4.3). Eat Mason's shriveled sack, Verizon/Google/Samsung (since NONE of them want to take responsibility and blame each other for the issues). No updates or announcements from ANYONE, and the customer service people on the Verizon messageboards just keep posting the same copy/pasta bull shit answers that dont help anyone.

Silver
    Load Metric
    My S3 is barely a year old. Keep it in perfect condition. Barely download any apps, like seriously, I think Facebook and Pandora and Reddit are the only 3 I have, and that piece of shit has turned into a laggy bitch, just kind of how you describe DRK.

I swear, they make this shit fucking disposable so you have no other choice but to upgrade 2 years in to the latest and greatest. So over this bullshit, but it' not going anywhere anytime soon obv.

Load Metric
    Once they went from 4.1.2 to 4.3, millions of people's phones were essentially bricked.

Verizon blamed Google when I went to the store again last week. GS3 and 4, and the Notes are all performing like shit. Its now across several carriers.

There will be class action lawsuits o'plenty

Load Metric
    Phone is STILL fucked up.

My battery drain has improved, but cant connect via WiFi with any consistency and blue tooth is a total crap shoot. Only works about 25% of the time.

phone now crashes when I use the camera (and it doesnt even save the photo).
    Go into your setting then more then apps. find your camera app and clear data. also find your download manager or downloads and clear the dataon those as well. then force stop both of them.

lights still flash like a strobe when someone calls, phone freezes, lags horribly
    Go into setting the the more then accessibility scroll to the bottom and check then uncheck the flash when call comes in.

they gave me a $30 credit for our bill (where three of us have Android 4.3). Eat Mason's shriveled sack, Verizon/Google/Samsung (since NONE of them want to take responsibility and blame each other for the issues). No updates or announcements from ANYONE, and the customer service people on the Verizon messageboards just keep posting the same copy/pasta bull shit answers that dont help anyone.
    there has been nothing but problems with these updates. Samsung makes a good phone but when they update software they fuck it all up. I work for a small cellphone carrier and this last update has been a pain in the ass. these are the things i do to fix most of the problems. Also whatever you do DO NOT ROOT since the latest update has locked the phone and root will turn it into a paperweight

Load Metric
    I appreciate the tips, Realchaser, but trust me, Ive tried almost every tip people have given. Its a total clusterfuck. Your tip about the uncheck the box....people like me are all saying "its unchecked" to the Verizon reps. Its some weird glitch and no one can fix it.

remove sim card and batter - tried it
    reset the phone and it will fix - multiple people tried it, spent hours trying to load all their shit back on the phones, didnt work
    settings this/settings that - nothing works

I dont want to jailbreak it or mod it, but shit is getting tiresome. I cant stream apps that I fucking pay for!!

Thread Information