View Poll Results: Are you for or against the college football playoffs?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the new playoff format

9 40.91%
  • No, hate it, want the BCS back

1 4.55%
  • For it, but want more teams

12 54.55%

Thread: Are You For Or Against the College Football Playoffs?

Load Metric

Are You For Or Against the College Football Playoffs?

Before last nights game I actually saw some people speaking out in the media saying the new playoff system will be a huge fail, and that they've had it right all along with the BCS. Jimbo Fisher said this today...

When I was a child, I remember who won the Sugar Bowl, who won the Orange Bowl, who won the Cotton Bowl, who won the Rose Bowl. It was a big deal to go. We act like that's not a big deal now. That's one of the great things you have in college football. We're so involved in winning a championship that we're forgetting the tradition and history of doing things.

And how many times was the BCS ever wrong? How many times did they ever get it wrong at the end? We've still got the same problem. You're going to argue over who's four and five or who's two and three. What's the difference?

These guys don't get to go play in an NFL season. They don't get to go rehab all day. They got school. They got study halls. They got things to do. Those bodies at that age aren't developed like a man is.

If you start in December and finish in the middle of January, when does recruiting season go? You've got a lot of things that we'd better be careful in this playoff system before we go crazy on it.

I'm for it. Hey, playoffs -- if that's what you're going to do, we're going to line up and play them. But I just don't want to take the true history and tradition of those bowl games -- maybe you're 11-2, dadgum, that's a pretty good year. Now ... you act like somebody should get fired. It's a little bit ridiculous.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-playoff

Personally I never really liked the BCS Championship format, simply because it excluded teams that were worthy of winning it, and the split championship was really lame. I always felt the NCAA had the best sporting event in the country with March Madness, and that college football should take note of that and come up with some sort of playoffs, but I'm not sure I like only 4 teams. As Fisher pointed out this will still be based off of voting and teams still can be left out. I was hoping for 8 teams, but obv that's not happening.

Thoughts?

Comments

garrett: Decent thread, 1-4 should lay for it all!
    Last edited by vegas1369; 01-07-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was hoping or eight teams and any talk about them not being able to have that many due to an extra round of games is hogwash when they could easily play a game in mid December, another right before or right after the New Year, and then the Championship like a week later?

With that said, many years we might not have eight worthy teams but we may see three great ones and three others on the fence which would get in with an eight team playoff but now two will get snubbed in a four team so the system will always be flawed.

At least if one potentially deserving team appears to have been shut out of the Championship Game they likely will be involved in the four team playoff.

The positive is the potential to expand this in a few years to eight teams depending how it goes is always a possibility.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I was hoping or eight teams and any talk about them not being able to have that many due to an extra round of games is hogwash when they could easily play a game in mid December, another right before or right after the New Year, and then the Championship like a week later?

With that said, many years we might not have eight worthy teams but we may see three great ones and three others on the fence which would get in with an eight team playoff but now two will get snubbed in a four team so the system will always be flawed.

At least if one potentially deserving team appears to have been shut out of the Championship Game they likely will be involved in the four team playoff.

The positive is the potential to expand this in a few years to eight teams depending how it goes is always a possibility.
    That's just it to me. In an 8 team format no one can realistically bitch about being shut out. Of course the teams that are on the bubble would, but at that point the bottom 3 teams should just feel lucky to be able to play for a championship and fuck the rest. It really is impossible to please everyone though, there will always be teams/alum and their fans that will feel shut out. Hell, you even get that with March Madness and 64 teams.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post

That's just it to me. In an 8 team format no one can realistically bitch about being shut out. Of course the teams that are on the bubble would, but at that point the bottom 3 teams should just feel lucky to be able to play for a championship and fuck the rest. It really is impossible to please everyone though, there will always be teams/alum and their fans that will feel shut out. Hell, you even get that with March Madness and 64 teams.
    4 will lead to 8, 8 will lead to 16

Bcs better than old system pre bcs. Penn state went undefeated multiple times with no title because of voters etc. Pre bcs was fucking stupid.

At least with bcs usually an undefeated team doesnt get shut out usually. Auburn did about 10 years ago but other than that its better than the shitty old bowl system. Only reason fisher remembers who won was cause nothing else was on tv and he wasnt coaching 200 hrs a week

At least with 4 team playoff u should get major conf undefeated schools in. If you have one loss and dont get in and want to complain then fuck off, u had chance to run the table.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Really don't see a need for a playoff in college football. It's not as if the winner of the Super Bowl, World Series, NCAA basketball tourney is always the best team. It's all about match ups and can even just be fluky.

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: So this is the one idiot who voted no playoffs.

Load Metric
    I was hoping for 8 teams, but obv that's not happening.
    Why? I'm happy they finally went to 4 teams. If it goes fairly smoothly, and everyone who needs to make money makes money, I have to think it will expand to 8 in a few years. If these people are so concerned about young kids playing so many games in a season, maybe they should cut the early season beat down games against South West East Tennessee State. Only 4 teams would play more games than they do now.

I think a big weakness of the BCS was shown last year. Notre Dame got into the championship game just because they were undefeated and nobody else was (except Ohio State, which was another bunch of NCAA bullshit). A 4 team playoff involving Oregon and Florida would have been immensely more exciting than watching Notre Dame get the living shit beat out of them for 3 hours.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I guess my other big issue with the college football playoffs vs bowl games is this....how many students or fans are going to be able travel to either two or four games to watch their teams play. Obviously the way it is now people take an extended "vacation" and go watch their team play in a season ending bowl game. What student is going to say travel from Columbus to LA for a rose bowl semi and then be able to go to say Miami the following week for a championship game. I get it's a big money grab for everyone involved but it gets to the point where it takes away from what is the best part of college football

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lvpkr1009 View Post
    I guess my other big issue with the college football playoffs vs bowl games is this....how many students or fans are going to be able travel to either two or four games to watch their teams play. Obviously the way it is now people take an extended "vacation" and go watch their team play in a season ending bowl game. What student is going to say travel from Columbus to LA for a rose bowl semi and then be able to go to say Miami the following week for a championship game. I get it's a big money grab for everyone involved but it gets to the point where it takes away from what is the best part of college football
    The conferences don't give two shits about what's the best part of college football. They care about taking a huge payday from the slave labor of the athletes. (Remember it's the conferences; the NCAA has almost nothing to do with the FBS bowls or playoffs.)

I always like the bowls +1 idea, where the championship game participants are selected after the bowls.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Before last nights game I actually saw some people speaking out in the media saying the new playoff system will be a huge fail, and that they've had it right all along with the BCS. Jimbo Fisher said this today...

When I was a child, I remember who won the Sugar Bowl, who won the Orange Bowl, who won the Cotton Bowl, who won the Rose Bowl. It was a big deal to go. We act like that's not a big deal now. That's one of the great things you have in college football. We're so involved in winning a championship that we're forgetting the tradition and history of doing things.

And how many times was the BCS ever wrong? How many times did they ever get it wrong at the end? We've still got the same problem. You're going to argue over who's four and five or who's two and three. What's the difference?

These guys don't get to go play in an NFL season. They don't get to go rehab all day. They got school. They got study halls. They got things to do. Those bodies at that age aren't developed like a man is.

If you start in December and finish in the middle of January, when does recruiting season go? You've got a lot of things that we'd better be careful in this playoff system before we go crazy on it.

I'm for it. Hey, playoffs -- if that's what you're going to do, we're going to line up and play them. But I just don't want to take the true history and tradition of those bowl games -- maybe you're 11-2, dadgum, that's a pretty good year. Now ... you act like somebody should get fired. It's a little bit ridiculous.

Personally I never really liked the BCS Championship format, simply because it excluded teams that were worthy of winning it, and the split championship was really lame. I always felt the NCAA had the best sporting event in the country with March Madness, and that college football should take note of that and come up with some sort of playoffs, but I'm not sure I like only 4 teams. As Fisher pointed out this will still be based off of voting and teams still can be left out. I was hoping for 8 teams, but obv that's not happening.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the bolded just can't be proper grammar. I'm sure I make a lot of errors and maybe I'm even wrong here... but that looks like some pretty horrible hillbilly talk to me.

Comments

vegas1369: Dee Dee McCarron does not approve

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I can't imagine anyone being against playoffs except for maybe like two schools in powerhouse conferences each year that have a strong chance at going undefeated throughout the regular season.

Load Metric

Thoughts?
    The whole problem and why NCAA balked at the playoffs for so long was the whole I-A vs I-AA thing. The new playoff potentially brings it up again since both levels have playoffs and changing the names as they did to FBS and FCS is a non-starter now. They aren't going to wipe out FCS because the truth is as we've seen rarely can I-AA schools compete heads up with Div I (obviously App State is the biggest example of a major upset by a I-AA school but it also turned out Michigan sucked tailpipe that year as I recall overall to a team which had won 3 straight I-AA titles).. The question is with playoffs at both levels now do they go back to the old classification and trash the whole FBS and FCS titles.

On a side note I agree it should be 8 teams. Sure some teams are faux contenders each year but I do believe this year that the same team would've won it all had their been a playoff or not.. FSU was just a special team and they're going to be right back in it again with Winston returning and trying to do what Johnny Football couldn't and has been done in decades.. Back to Back Heisman's if anybody can do it he can if for no other reason he learned what not to do thanks to Manziel in the off season.

Load Metric

Agree on the whole extra game thing being Bullshit. When I was in HS to win the State Title you had to play 14 games its now 15 since they split classifications up and added a rnd of playoffs to get more teams in (even HS's are greedy fucks for gate revenue). If these guys go to the NFL its 16 regular season and potentially as many as 20 if you play in the Super Bowl.. I don't see it being a big deal, The Mega Confs have their championships now which amounted to one extra game, I guess the complaint would be adding the extra rnd might subsequently be unfair as teams would likely get in who didn't play in a conf title game and had extra rest..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

Bcs better than old system pre bcs. Penn state went undefeated multiple times with no title because of voters etc. Pre bcs was fucking stupid.

At least with bcs usually an undefeated team doesnt get shut out usually. Auburn did about 10 years ago but other than that its better than the shitty old bowl system. Only reason fisher remembers who won was cause nothing else was on tv and he wasnt coaching 200 hrs a week

At least with 4 team playoff u should get major conf undefeated schools in. If you have one loss and dont get in and want to complain then fuck off, u had chance to run the table.
    There will never be 16. I think 8 is the right number or even 6 with top 2 getting a bye. If you have 8 teams no one can complain. You can still lose 1 game and have a chance.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

There will never be 16. I think 8 is the right number or even 6 with top 2 getting a bye. If you have 8 teams no one can complain. You can still lose 1 game and have a chance.
    I agree 8 is enough but 16 means more money and thats all these clowns care about

Load Metric
    Are there still going to be all the other bowl games, and will the playoff games be bowl games as well?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Are there still going to be all the other bowl games, and will the playoff games be bowl games as well?
    The playoffs are going to be bowl games. I believe 2 of the next 3 years the semis will be played on New Years Eve and one of them on New Years day which has something to with the rose bowls.

Their will be other bowl games like usual and I don't think we will ever see that end even if they went to a larger scale playoff. Too much money involved for the networks/schools and everyone involved to get rid of them completely.

People complain that there are too many bowl games but what does it matter if they let every team have a bowl game. Viewers can either watch or not watch. It is also a good tool for recruiting

Thread Information