this course is normally $2050

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/cou...mputer-science

Load Metric
    Link is actually a lethal computer virus - computer AIDS

My computer is FUCKED

Comments

WillieMcFML: easy mark sfo

Load Metric
    i'm really only taking the class so i can understand some of the words tine uses

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Good call, I'm in.

Load Metric
    brb updating my resume

"Studied at Harvard"

Banned
    Load Metric
    hecka stacks overflowin'

Load Metric
    signed the fuck up, although i doubt its going to get as deep into coding as id prefer.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    signed the fuck up, although i doubt its going to get as deep into coding as id prefer.
    If you can do a hello world in 3+ languages you're ahead of this game.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    hecka stacks overflowin'

Comments

lewfather: :this

tony bagadonuts: lol god gif, it syncs perfectly to any song played at 120 bpm

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    If you can do a hello world in 3+ languages you're ahead of this game.
    yeah i was just hoping for a fairly solid ASM walk through.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Will this class teach me how to create skatzcoins? Cuz literally my only priority for 2014 is finding a get rich scheme that involves minimal (if any) work, tracksuits, and big titty ukranian whores.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    no amount of onlines courses will teach anyone to code. deadlines teach people to code.

Banned
    Load Metric
    You guys should see how shitty my scratch project is, it's a mouse chasing a cat. You have to use your mouse to stay away from the mouse, if the mouse catches you it's fucking game over for you.

I don't know if it's possible to include a time clock or a score for time spent avoiding the mouse, also I'm sure there is a way to raise the difficulty which would be nice. If the screen is big enough you could avoid this mouse like Jewdonk avoids a natural human relationship or just a simple interaction forever.

Load Metric
    Reg'd gl sirs.

Also signed up for Chinese history, Chinese architecture, and Economics with Calculus.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post
    Will this class teach me how to create skatzcoins? Cuz literally my only priority for 2014 is finding a get rich scheme that involves minimal (if any) work, tracksuits, and big titty ukranian whores.
    on point again, lol made my day thanks

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 359
Size:  5.2 KB
    Last edited by Yiddishdonk; 01-02-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: big titty ukranian whores

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    CS50x is Harvard College's introduction to the intellectual enterprises of computer science and the art of programming for majors and non-majors alike, with or without prior programming experience. An entry-level course taught by David J. Malan, CS50x teaches students how to think algorithmically and solve problems efficiently. Topics include abstraction, algorithms, data structures, encapsulation, resource management, security, software engineering, and web development. Languages include C, PHP, and JavaScript plus SQL, CSS, and HTML. Problem sets inspired by real-world domains of biology, cryptography, finance, forensics, and gaming.
    I realize this is Harvard, but this is an awful lot of stuff to cram into one course. Keep in mind that most of the above-mentioned topics are separate courses at most colleges.

I can't understand how they can call this "an entry-level course" unless it's only going to briefly touch on each of the subjects.

My suspicion is that the material will be dumbed down so much that even a 2004 Micon could understand it. Harvard shouldn't really be doing this with their courses. Pretty soon everyone will realise they can educate themselves for free.

Load Metric
    To run the course VM under VirtualBox:

Download VM

VirtualBox -> File -> Import Appliance

Select the "Settings" pulldown menu from the "vm" appliance once its imported.

Go to Network panel, disable the second interface. It ends up getting imported with the name " (single quotes) which obviously is a failure.

Save, boot VM. At this point its online.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    CS50x is Harvard College's introduction to the intellectual enterprises of computer science and the art of programming for majors and non-majors alike, with or without prior programming experience. An entry-level course taught by David J. Malan, CS50x teaches students how to think algorithmically and solve problems efficiently. Topics include abstraction, algorithms, data structures, encapsulation, resource management, security, software engineering, and web development. Languages include C, PHP, and JavaScript plus SQL, CSS, and HTML. Problem sets inspired by real-world domains of biology, cryptography, finance, forensics, and gaming.
    I realize this is Harvard, but this is an awful lot of stuff to cram into one course. Keep in mind that most of the above-mentioned topics are separate courses at most colleges.

I can't understand how they can call this "an entry-level course" unless it's only going to briefly touch on each of the subjects.
    I expect they are basically teaching OOP by way of scripting at this point. Time will tell. Fuck I hope they offer a python course tho...

Load Metric
    did you guys graduate yet?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnFanningsLimpDick View Post
    My suspicion is that the material will be dumbed down so much that even a 2004 Micon could understand it. Harvard shouldn't really be doing this with their courses. Pretty soon everyone will realise they can educate themselves for free.
    Not in the near term, for sure, and not long term either, IMO. MIT has been putting almost every undergrad course they offer online for like 10+ years now. Oxford, CalTech, Stanford, YAle, hundreds of the best schools do this shit. Harvard's program isn't groundbreaking, and it sure ain't putting a dent in their pocketbooks.

Thread Information