Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looks like amarillo slim is about to be donkdown

Bronze
    Load Metric

looks like amarillo slim is about to be donkdown

according to kev math tweet hes in hospice and not expected to make it through the night.....looks like all thats left of the old time road gamblers is crandle addington and doyle

Load Metric
    My feelings on this will be swayed greatly one way or another based on if he is truly guilty of the crimes he was accused of.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    My feelings on this will be swayed greatly one way or another based on if he is truly guilty of the crimes he was accused of.
    Honestly, the story he told regarding it was creepy enough, especially considering it was a family member. Hopefully it was just a case of an old man trying to be funny and failing miserably.

Slim was probably more responsible for keeping the WSOP and interest in poker going during the 70's and 80's than anything or anyone else. It truly is a shame that his legacy has been tarnished in this way --innocent or guilty, this is the type of allegation that just never goes away.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Amarillo Slim on death bed

http://www.gambling911.com/poker/bre...ed-041612.html

Breaking News: Poker Legend Amarillo Slim on Deathbed

One of the greatest poker icons ever, Amarillo Slim, was reportedly in a hospice late Monday evening, April 16, 2012, clinging to life.

Amarillo Slim, whose real name is Thomas Austin Preston, Jr., is 83 years old.

Below is one of Amarillo Slim's last interviews from the 2008 WSOP....

Preston won the main event at the 1972 World Series of Poker and was inducted into the Poker Hall of Fame in 1992.

Preston has four World Series of Poker bracelets with his most recent win in 1990.

In May 2003, Preston published his autobiography Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People, where he wrote of playing poker with the likes of Presidents Richard Nixon and Lyndon Johnson along with Larry Flynt. A film based on the book is reportedly in development and will star Nicholas Cage.

Amarillo Slim was the victim of three armed robberies during the last decade.

Banned
    Load Metric
    bout tree fiddy

Load Metric
    Robin Gibb v the paedo

Who you got?!

Banned
    Load Metric
    BATTLE OF THE AMARILLO SLIM THREADS, THE RACE IS ON, SLIM WILL DIE TONIGHT, WHICH THREAD WILL HAVE MORE POSTS?

LEGO!!1111

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some interesting shit from Slim's Wikipedia:

In August 2003, Preston was indicted in Randall County, Texas on charges of indecency with a 12-year-old child. The charges were reduced to misdemeanor assault in a plea bargain and on February 10, 2004, Preston pled "no contest" to the reduced charges, "to protect his family". Preston received a $4,000 fine, two years probation and was ordered to undergo counseling. In a 2009 interview, he stated that he was innocent of any wrongdoing, but chose to take the plea bargain in order to spare his family from a court trial.
    Gotta think his explanation was complete bullshit. If you are accused of molesting a child and are truly innocent, you would be an idiot to accept any kind of plea bargain, as that essentially brands you as guilty, and is much more harmful to your family than going to trial to defend yourself. Seriously... is there anyone here who wouldn't defend wrongful child molestation charges? Pretty sure he accepted the plea bargain because he was guilty, and got a slap on the wrist instead of spending the rest of his life in jail.

Early on the morning of October 4, 2006, Preston was the victim of an attempted armed robbery. The armed robber fired three bullets into Preston's car as he sped away. Preston was not injured.

On January 28, 2007, Preston was robbed at gunpoint while in his home.

On January 22, 2009, Preston was beaten and robbed near the intersection of Interstate 40 and Soncy Road while attempting to collect a gambling debt.
    Sounds like he was into a lot of shady crap, even around 80 years old. Nobody just randomly gets robbed this often.

In this article: http://amarillo.com/stories/012209/new_12362001.shtml

... he claims he was robbed five times between 2008 and 2009. WTF?

He claims he gave the assailant's info to the cops. Did anything ever come of this?

Preston's autobiography was the topic of a biopic movie reported to be under development. Nicolas Cage reportedly was to play Preston's character in the movie. According to a 2009 article at Poker Listings the "planned Hollywood movie about Slim's life" has been "dropped".
    Remember the reports that Chris Ferguson invested a bunch of Full Tilt's money in some Hollywood movie? I wonder if that was it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    Honestly, the story he told regarding it was creepy enough, especially considering it was a family member. Hopefully it was just a case of an old man trying to be funny and failing miserably.

Slim was probably more responsible for keeping the WSOP and interest in poker going during the 70's and 80's than anything or anyone else. It truly is a shame that his legacy has been tarnished in this way --innocent or guilty, this is the type of allegation that just never goes away.

CREEPY-Exactly, I really did not think he did it from the 1st article I read, but I saw him interviewed on it, but he was explaining what happened and it was like due to the circumstances he was in, (like 5 people in a truck cab or something)
    he had to put his hand on his 12 yr old granddaughter or niece's knee, (OK whatever) but then he said something like "I bet that felt good", it reminded me of Sandusky, it just didn't seem like he knew he was in the wrong.

And I also agree he is the oldest name in poker, I can remember his name far before Doyle, or Moneymaker, or Ivey.

Load Metric
    Old school WSOP

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBLES View Post
    Old school WSOP

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Gotta think his explanation was complete bullshit. If you are accused of molesting a child and are truly innocent, you would be an idiot to accept any kind of plea bargain, as that essentially brands you as guilty, and is much more harmful to your family than going to trial to defend yourself. Seriously... is there anyone here who wouldn't defend wrongful child molestation charges? Pretty sure he accepted the plea bargain because he was guilty, and got a slap on the wrist instead of spending the rest of his life in jail.

Early on the morning of October 4, 2006, Preston was the victim of an attempted armed robbery. The armed robber fired three bullets into Preston's car as he sped away. Preston was not injured.

On January 28, 2007, Preston was robbed at gunpoint while in his home.

On January 22, 2009, Preston was beaten and robbed near the intersection of Interstate 40 and Soncy Road while attempting to collect a gambling debt.
    Sounds like he was into a lot of shady crap, even around 80 years old. Nobody just randomly gets robbed this often.

He claims he gave the assailant's info to the cops. Did anything ever come of this?

Preston's autobiography was the topic of a biopic movie reported to be under development. Nicolas Cage reportedly was to play Preston's character in the movie. According to a 2009 article at Poker Listings the "planned Hollywood movie about Slim's life" has been "dropped".
    Remember the reports that Chris Ferguson invested a bunch of Full Tilt's money in some Hollywood movie? I wonder if that was it.
    The few guys I know who are older and spent good time in vegas over the years all spit on the ground at the mention of that mans name.

Don't be fooled into thinking poker players are good honest folk because they smile pretty like and are on tv. The majority of the old timers especially are the worst of the worst...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

The few guys I know who are older and spent good time in vegas over the years all spit on the ground at the mention of that mans name.

Don't be fooled into thinking poker players are good honest folk because they smile pretty like and are on tv. The majority of the old timers especially are the worst of the worst...
    Druff should get vwls as radio co-host and prank call the Hospice as Alvin Finkelstein the attorney for Slims Granddaughter who wants to say good bye to her grandpappy
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomasi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

Druff should get vwls as radio co-host and prank call the Hospice as Alvin Finkelstein the attorney for Slims Granddaughter who wants to say good bye to her grandpappy
    Never thought I'd see the day....but yeah, that would pretty damned hilarious.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastley View Post
    Robin Gibb v the paedo

Who you got?!
    both hanging in there still, it really is anyone's guess as to which will dd first

Load Metric
    Slim passed last night after midnight at a Texas Hospice.

Farewell, sweet prince.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Slim passed last night after midnight at a Texas Hospice.

Farewell, sweet prince.
    Tried to be fair with this article (which I started working on over a week ago). It's pretty long, but I think it's a pretty good read

http://pokernewsboy.com/poker-player...928-2012/11981
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Interesting article on Grantland today:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-amarillo-slim

I've always wondered how much of these old-timer stories have been embellished/fabricated. Makes you wonder how scummy guys like him, Doyle, Sailor Roberts etc. actually were to succeed in those times.

Thread Information