Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Deja Haseeb

Load Metric
    He might be a narcissist, but he could probably succeed again in coaching if he found the right niche. Not that his advice there was particularly insightful, but he's a good communicator and a smart guy.

I see someone like Bart Hanson, and he seems to be having a lot of success with his subscription site.

Bart's a good live mid stakes player, but I see him staying in Macao now for months at a time and opening restaurants in LA, and I imagine he must be doing really well with his site. I don't think he could sustain that life on successful mid stakes play. It's like $30 a month, and I know I like listening to him not so much because the analysis is so great, but he's a good communicator and makes you think about your decision making process. Much better than some more accomplished players who make videos using a bunch of 2+2 terminology and lack personality.

I could see Haseeb succeeding in that manner. People won't care about his past if he has something to offer. It's poker. I have to imagine he's a much better player than Bart given the levels he played. It seems the higher stakes have passed him by, and I don't know that he'll appeal to that hs community who don't trust him and who will think he's overpriced in the $200/hr range for mindset coaching. I think if he started a subscription site for like $19.99 a month and did a blend of poker analysis and discussed his approach to the game that he might succeed.

Load Metric
    Is it just me or does he look way older than 24? I would think he's 35 if I didn't know his age. Makes me wonder if he has issues with his lifestyle beyond the obvious ones.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Looks like the "retirement" is over.

Now he's making Youtube strategy videos.

lol at $200/hr (nice price point Haseeb) for this generic how to play JJ strat. It's 2014, everyone knows this now Haseeb. And he always sounds like he is talking with marbles in his mouth, that is distracting.

BCR making a case for Haseeb being worthy of anything, is like saying if Bernie Madoff was released he should be allowed to advise people on the stock market, because he is knowledgeable. People like this should of thought about that, before they went corrupt.

He should of thought about all of the reprecussions so long ago, he is hell bent on getting a largely sharp demographic, in online poker players to buy into his b.s again. That does not make sense, he doesn't offer anything that someone with no checkered past couldn't do the same, while charging less. The value in Haseeb wasnt necc. his ability to play, it was all the contacts he had in the High Stakes world, who are now presumably gone. Along with Haseebs value.

If he is only 24, he is obviously not dumb so he should be spending this effort carving out a successful career somewhere else. Or get staked, get back in the game, and start husling. Stop looking for the easy scammy, let me teach you for lots money what I know line. Of which most of it is nothing but theft, collusion, and mindtricks.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    How do we know Haseeb isn't still playing? He claims he's retired but he's certainly lied to the community several times in the past so not only would it not surprise me if he's still grinding but I kind of suspect that he still is.

We hear poker players (pros and recreational) say they are retiring all the time but how long does that usually last?

How many of these players never play again if they say they aren't going to?

Of the players that say they are retired but may play on special occasions how many of them are still "closet" playing more regularly then that?

Load Metric
    retiring to coach is something only a losing player would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Haseeb is not a losing player but he's a delusional clown who lacks morals. He was a winner even with all his personality issues.

When people seek coaching they should really look for someone who is intelligent, has good social skills, and who you can look up to as a respectful leader. This coach should have good organizational skills and treat the game with the integrity it deserves to be treated in. Having the ability to connect to a student in a way where they understand you isn't an easy thing it's just like teachers in school who know their shit but can't articulate it well.

Haseeb lacks almost all of these attributes. The only one I thought he might have had at one point was intelligence which this is back in like 2009 or close to that when I saw a few of his videos on Cardrunners before any of these scandals occurred but now with everything he continues to spew at the community he sounds extremely ignorant/delusional any time he opens his mouth.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Unless he suddenly got his mind right (as well as finding 500k to give away to the 'rents and charidee) he isn't playing poker in anger.. if at all.

When he tried to get back on the horse late 2010 thru 2011, he was getting his arse handed to him on a plate on a regular basis. He could no longer handle playing.

Which, I am aware, makes a delicious irony out of the mind coaching gig.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by UseHerName View Post
    Unless he suddenly got his mind right (as well as finding 500k to give away to the 'rents and charidee) he isn't playing poker in anger.. if at all.

When he tried to get back on the horse late 2010 thru 2011, he was getting his arse handed to him on a plate on a regular basis. He could no longer handle playing.

The game was a lot harder then and without any sort of angle to gain an edge, if not a gross one, he probably realized he wasn't much better than most others at breaking down a 52 card deck, divided by 4 suits, 13 per. He is obv. creative so he prob thought this made him visionary.

The irony in all of this is no one is/would or will stop Haseeb Quareshi from going out and winning WSOP bracelets or making a living from all this great ability he wants to sell. Being unliked is not a disqualifier necessarily for making a living in the poker world.

If he is so good, why not just use that ability when all else fails?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    The game was a lot harder then and without any sort of angle to gain an edge, if not a gross one, he probably realized he wasn't much better than most others at breaking down a 52 card deck, divided by 4 suits, 13 per. He is obv. creative so he prob thought this made him visionary.

The irony in all of this is no one is/would or will stop Haseeb Quareshi from going out and winning WSOP bracelets or making a living from all this great ability he wants to sell. Being unliked is not a disqualifier necessarily for making a living in the poker world.

If he is so good, why not just use that ability when all else fails?
    There is always someone going to come along who is better than you. It's the natural order of things in competitive situations.
    Blom knocked the wind out of his sails. Then there was Dan, Ashton, Doug etc. To stay up there, or up your game and beat 'em, when all about you are killing it requires all that good stuff like work, structure, dedication, commitment, grind. These are things that don't come naturally to Haseeb. If it's your job that puts a roof over your head and food on your table, your profession, then you need to kinda treat it like that.

I thought briefly about doing a stint as a professori (I'm completing my doctorate and I want a cape!) and what is it everyone tells me - 'those that can, do..those that can't, teach'.

Comments

garrett: A+
    Last edited by UseHerName; 01-20-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: comma

Load Metric

Those high stakes games are like crack. Once you have a little success up there, your ego won't let you drop down to the 20 stakes below those where you'd be a favorite, and which are still incredibly profitable.

There is no shame in not keeping up with those top 50 guys in poker. There is a ton of money below them to be made, yet once kids have been up there, they never seem to be able to play lower and care.

I think it's partly their age. They went straight from high school to immense money. It's not real money to them like someone who has a real work history. There are middle-aged guys like this in poker also, but not many that actually had real jobs at some point. The guys from the real world usually drop down because they know it still beats the hell out of working 9-5.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Those high stakes games are like crack. Once you have a little success up there, your ego won't let you drop down to the 20 stakes below those where you'd be a favorite, and which are still incredibly profitable.

There is no shame in not keeping up with those top 50 guys in poker. There is a ton of money below them to be made, yet once kids have been up there, they never seem to be able to play lower and care.

I think it's partly their age. They went straight from high school to immense money. It's not real money to them like someone who has a real work history. There are middle-aged guys like this in poker also, but not many that actually had real jobs at some point. The guys from the real world usually drop down because they know it still beats the hell out of working 9-5.
    In addition to this, I think the people who came from 9-5 never make it to these stakes, or have little to no desire to get there, they just don't see the point. Much better to make $100k with little worry than to have $500k swings where your edge is likely thinner than two armpit hairs.

I suppose if you never had to work 50 hours a week to make 50K a year you don't understand how awesome making $50-$100k a year playing cards is. Plus most these kids go from living with mommy and daddy and having zero bills, to having more money than they can spend, so they have no idea how to live on say a more reasonable $2k/month. Their monthly nut gets so big they can't pay it by playing mid-stakes games
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

In addition to this, I think the people who came from 9-5 never make it to these stakes, or have little to no desire to get there, they just don't see the point. Much better to make $100k with little worry than to have $500k swings where your edge is likely thinner than two armpit hairs.

I suppose if you never had to work 50 hours a week to make 50K a year you don't understand how awesome making $50-$100k a year playing cards is. Plus most these kids go from living with mommy and daddy and having zero bills, to having more money than they can spend, so they have no idea how to live on say a more reasonable $2k/month. Their monthly nut gets so big they can't pay it by playing mid-stakes games

Good point Steve and I can relate to this, had I started playing poker when I was 18 online (which wasn't around then) without much work in the 9-5 biz I would have been WAY more inclined to go for the home run and move up stakes.

I started playing for a living in 2009 at age 32 after 14 years of working on and off @ 9-5 jobs. When I started crushing heads up limit games from 3-6 to 10-20 I was happy to be making 1k-2k a week and was glad I wasn't going to have to punch a clock for the near future.

For the first year or so knowing the money was steady I never took shots in bigger games because I didn't want to get ruined. At the same time I know plenty who were in the same boat as me at the time and a lot of them took shots and while some made it for every one of them there are 10 who I have no clue what are doing right now

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

Good point Steve and I can relate to this, had I started playing poker when I was 18 online (which wasn't around then) without much work in the 9-5 biz I would have been WAY more inclined to go for the home run and move up stakes.

I started playing for a living in 2009 at age 32 after 14 years of working on and off @ 9-5 jobs. When I started crushing heads up limit games from 3-6 to 10-20 I was happy to be making 1k-2k a week and was glad I wasn't going to have to punch a clock for the near future.

For the first year or so knowing the money was steady I never took shots in bigger games because I didn't want to get ruined. At the same time I know plenty who were in the same boat as me at the time and a lot of them took shots and while some made it for every one of them there are 10 who I have no clue what are doing right now
    They're managing Cinnabons and shit

Bronze
    Load Metric
    He might be a narcissist, but he could probably succeed again in coaching if he found the right niche. Not that his advice there was particularly insightful, but he's a good communicator and a smart guy.

I see someone like Bart Hanson, and he seems to be having a lot of success with his subscription site.

Bart's a good live mid stakes player, but I see him staying in Macao now for months at a time and opening restaurants in LA, and I imagine he must be doing really well with his site. I don't think he could sustain that life on successful mid stakes play. It's like $30 a month, and I know I like listening to him not so much because the analysis is so great, but he's a good communicator and makes you think about your decision making process. Much better than some more accomplished players who make videos using a bunch of 2+2 terminology and lack personality.

I could see Haseeb succeeding in that manner. People won't care about his past if he has something to offer. It's poker. I have to imagine he's a much better player than Bart given the levels he played. It seems the higher stakes have passed him by, and I don't know that he'll appeal to that hs community who don't trust him and who will think he's overpriced in the $200/hr range for mindset coaching. I think if he started a subscription site for like $19.99 a month and did a blend of poker analysis and discussed his approach to the game that he might succeed.
    I think if you watched this video and had no idea who he was or his background it actually made some decent sense...not earth shattering information but it made sense at least. I'm not sure it's enough to make me pay for his advice but even if you dont agree with what someone says it's always worthwhile to watch

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Hi UHN

Guess it says a lot about an individual when the only person they got batting for their team is a histrionic hooker.

Read teh thread in 2+2 and the whole thing is super shady ~ can't blame you for thinking wtf.

If there was an out in the family you would take that first. If there wasn’t then you might speak to close friends but you wouldn’t lie about all the factors. Idk if he asked the hooker, but if he didn’t why not? She’s desperate to be all in his shit and his bff. And if you’ve got nothing to hide you wouldn’t go ape and spew shit and obviously derail.

But the main thing is you just don’t keep in contact with crazy bitter exs and you definitely don’t ask them for thousands of $$$ unless you (a) don’t care about fucking them over or (b) they’re really close.

fwiw, I had no horse in the hate DiH race but that cluster fuck and the way DiH behaved sheesh the guy is a fuckin asshole.

I got a question for you, are you rubicon1?

Comments

UseHerName:

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    S'up...

So the outstanding debt was 90k and the split he said was on offer was 10k he had saved, 10k from his dad, 10k from jungle, 20k from vivek...leaving 40k to find. For that 40k he had asked me and Jose.

I did question whether he had asked his mum and dad and he said they couldn't help because his dad's credit was shot and they didn't have any substantial savings set aside. Then I asked why jungle wasn't spotting him the full amount (as it's not like jungle can't afford it) and he said jungle only offered 10k and that he wasn't as flush as you would think. I didn't ask about the hooker at the time; however, since the debacle, he did say that he didn't ask her because she is broke and in debt but in any event he wasn't speaking to her during that time.

Well no.. you don't ask just anyone for a 40k loan. Well I wouldn't anyway. The slightly scary thing is that I almost did spot him the 40k :O
    I spoke to three of my good friends...a guy who has nothing to do with poker but is a smart cookie, a gal pal and a guy who is a poker player. They all said nooooooo. I took their comments on board but it was actually when he started bothering me for a decision, right at a time when I was working my arse off, that I said no. I do earn very well but I do earn it. I have a strong work ethic. I told him no and to get a job. :-/

You will hear no argument from me regarding your last comment.

And no, I'm not, but of course I know who is... poker dude just got protective. Had I been rubicon... when I was referenced in the thread as the lawyer (before I entered).. I would have just said yeah... it's not like Haseeb scares me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    S'up...

So the outstanding debt was 90k and the split he said was on offer was 10k he had saved, 10k from his dad, 10k from jungle, 20k from vivek...leaving 40k to find. For that 40k he had asked me and Jose.

I did question whether he had asked his mum and dad and he said they couldn't help because his dad's credit was shot and they didn't have any substantial savings set aside. Then I asked why jungle wasn't spotting him the full amount (as it's not like jungle can't afford it) and he said jungle only offered 10k and that he wasn't as flush as you would think. I didn't ask about the hooker at the time; however, since the debacle, he did say that he didn't ask her because she is broke and in debt but in any event he wasn't speaking to her during that time.

Well no.. you don't ask just anyone for a 40k loan. Well I wouldn't anyway. The slightly scary thing is that I almost did spot him the 40k :O
    I spoke to three of my good friends...a guy who has nothing to do with poker but is a smart cookie, a gal pal and a guy who is a poker player. They all said nooooooo. I took their comments on board but it was actually when he started bothering me for a decision, right at a time when I was working my arse off, that I said no. I do earn very well but I do earn it. I have a strong work ethic. I told him no and to get a job. :-/

You will hear no argument from me regarding your last comment.

And no, I'm not, but of course I know who is... poker dude just got protective. Had I been rubicon... when I was referenced in the thread as the lawyer (before I entered).. I would have just said yeah... it's not like Haseeb scares me.
    I am a little confused.

To whom did he owe that 90k?

What is the situation with the house he supposedly transferred to his parents? Did he have any equity in it?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Let me just caveat this with I'm going from what he has said... and the story has changed more than once...

It was my understanding that he owned (or had interest in) 3 houses, one of which he lives in with his brother (of course I’ve since found out there are 4 properties). I didn't know what if any equity he may have in those properties or what the finance details were.

The initial email said that he was in a bad money situation… his words… and 5 years ago the house he and his brother live in was purchased on a homeowners loan, partially owner financed, with a clause that the mortgage would be paid in 5 years (the five years expiring November 2013). He said, ‘I thought I would have enough money to pay it off, given that I don’t, he can come after the house’. The ‘he’ referred to is the person Haseeb purchased the house from.

Haseeb said that of the initial sum of $220k for the purchase of the house, there was something in the order of $90k outstanding. He said he had no choice than to ask the people close to him to help, that he was short about $80k and that he had got pledges totalling $40k but was still $40k short.

In a later email sent on 5th January 2014, after this debacle kicked off and where he was trying to explain himself he said that:

· There is a house purchased in one of his brothers name (some equity but not much)
    · A second house (the one reference above) which he lives in
    · A third house he said was purchased with his money but in his Dad’s name, but the market crashed and his Dad foreclosed (thus taking a hit to his Dad’s credit)
    · A fourth house purchased in Haseeb’s name on ‘a regular loan’ (fully paid off)

He said that after quitting poker he did not have a lot of liquid cash. He said he expected $90k from Jason Burt, $10-20k from Jose he never paid, and $10-20k from Vivek he never paid…oh and a payment of about $30k from Full Tilt (I’ve since found out red pros were told they’d get nothing).

Note… he told me when I first spoke to him about it in August 2013, that he had approached jungle who said he would lend him $10k but not the whole amount and that Vivek had pledged $20k. Transpired that Vivek hadn’t even been approached let alone pledged any money and Haseeb has admitted he lied to make him sound like a better prospect.

In that January email he said that after getting his ‘offer’ (yes, I lol’d at that) getting rejected by me and Jose he thought he wouldn’t be able to get the money together and so told jungle thanks, but no thanks.

He then told his Dad, who said he had an education fund he could liquidate, which he did. Haseeb then said in October he told his parents he was giving away all his money, liquidated a retirement fund (the only other asset he mentioned apart from the property), deeded house no.2 and 4. (as above) to his parents and gave away $75k to charidee.

And then, he said, ‘the NVG thread stuff happens’….
    Last edited by UseHerName; 01-24-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: meh

Load Metric
    Are you saying all the charity stuff was made up?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Are you saying all the charity stuff was made up?
    Not sure, but something is off.. too many 'eh?' moments and stuff that doesn't really make sense.

Thread Information