Thread: burger flippers going on strike lol

Load Metric

burger flippers going on strike lol

"Fast-food strikes planned for 100 cities

Candice Choi and Sam Hananel, AP 2:48 p.m. EST December 2, 2013

NEW YORK — Fast-food workers in about 100 cities will walk off the job this Thursday, organizers say, which would mark the largest effort yet in their push for higher pay.

The actions are intended to build on a campaign that began about a year ago to call attention to the difficulties of living on the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, or about $15,000 a year.

The protests are part of a movement by labor unions, Democrats and other worker advocacy groups to raise pay in low-wage sectors. Last month, President Obama said he would back a Senate measure to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10."

Protesters are calling for $15 an hour, although many see the figure as a rallying point rather than a near-term possibility"

brown bag it or call in your reservations Thursday imo

sadly most of them will be cut to part time due to Obamacare

Comments

LLL: Obamacare reference.

Corrigan: tight thread

ftpjesus: Whiny HS dropouts thread
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomasi View Post
    "Fast-food strikes planned for 100 cities

Candice Choi and Sam Hananel, AP 2:48 p.m. EST December 2, 2013

NEW YORK — Fast-food workers in about 100 cities will walk off the job this Thursday, organizers say, which would mark the largest effort yet in their push for higher pay.

The actions are intended to build on a campaign that began about a year ago to call attention to the difficulties of living on the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, or about $15,000 a year.

The protests are part of a movement by labor unions, Democrats and other worker advocacy groups to raise pay in low-wage sectors. Last month, President Obama said he would back a Senate measure to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10."

Protesters are calling for $15 an hour, although many see the figure as a rallying point rather than a near-term possibility"

brown bag it or call in your reservations Thursday imo

sadly most of them will be cut to part time due to Obamacare
    These asshats have a shitload of nerve. Many CNAs who are the primary care givers for the elderly in nursing homes and assisted living make barely over minimum wage on and work a shitload (no pun intended) harder then these asshats who flip burgers, and are so fucking illiterate they cant even fucking make change without the register telling them what to do. You don't see them threatening to go on strike like a bunch of self-entitled douchebags. You don't want to make minimum wage don't fucking drop out of HS and go get a fucking education with some useable skills otherwise shut the fuckup and make my Big Mac.

Comments

big dick: slow your roll jagoff

Load Metric
    Its a very complicated issue the way things work today. Problem is you say Fuck you and dont drop out of High School. OK I can understand that point of view and agree with it for the most part. The "problem" (again, complicated) is that all of these employees qualify for an EBT card from the government. So whats happening in reality is the owner can buy his labor that is subsidized by the government and turn a larger profit. If not for the EBT cards the workers would find another way to make a living and in turn the owner (at least in theory) would have to pay a higher wage. The premise of the article is right, nobody can live on $15K a year and in practice (considering the ~$6K in tax free EBT they get) the majority of full time workers at these places aren't and we are all playing for it.

I'd prefer to turn off the EBT cards and let the free market handle it, but we all know thats not happening right now.

Comments

LLL: Well reasoned post.

Load Metric
    Non-unionized workers have no right to strike. I imagine all employees that don't show up will be fired and easily replaced.

I was once part of an illegal strike. I was 15 and working in the corn. The fields were too wet for the harvester we worked on to enter so they told us to start working by foot. We said no. We were fired on the spot. Lucky for us after a lengthy deliberation the company decided they would indeed drive us back to the city. I was hired by the competition the next day... on a foot crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Efficiently-run fast food companies like In-n-Out already pay their workers way more than $7.25/hr (I think $11), but in reality many fast food places are franchises, which often fail to make a profit even at the current wages.

Also being ignored here is the fact that a lot of these workers are teenagers, and not depending upon their wage to live.

Comments

ftpjesus: true reality. Althought most of the FF resturants here in Phoenix I think are mostly staffed by Hispanics

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Efficiently-run fast food companies like In-n-Out already pay their workers way more than $7.25/hr (I think $11), but in reality many fast food places are franchises, which often fail to make a profit even at the current wages.

Also being ignored here is the fact that a lot of these workers are teenagers, and not depending upon their wage to live.
    Well $10 or $11 and hour is fine. But $15 an hour is absurd.

But most fast food franchises do make a profit. In bad times or good as people always eat. (ex-wife has worked for 'Jack in the Box' for 40 years.)

When you buy a drink at a fast food place for $1.50 they have less than 15 cents invested in the mix. Really almost all fast food places are gold mines.

But then the investment to get a franchise. In 1970 a McDonalds franchise cost $100,000 dollars. Prolly atleast 2 million or more today.

20 years ago my wife at the time could have gotten a Jack in the Box franchise. But to put up $300,000 at the time would have put me at real risk with a big mortage and my auto repair used car lot at the time. Way the marriage worked out better I guess as the lawyers would of added that to their greedy little plans.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Its a very complicated issue the way things work today. Problem is you say Fuck you and dont drop out of High School. OK I can understand that point of view and agree with it for the most part. The "problem" (again, complicated) is that all of these employees qualify for an EBT card from the government. So whats happening in reality is the owner can buy his labor that is subsidized by the government and turn a larger profit. If not for the EBT cards the workers would find another way to make a living and in turn the owner (at least in theory) would have to pay a higher wage. The premise of the article is right, nobody can live on $15K a year and in practice (considering the ~$6K in tax free EBT they get) the majority of full time workers at these places aren't and we are all playing for it.

I'd prefer to turn off the EBT cards and let the free market handle it, but we all know thats not happening right now.
    It wasn't an attack on the FF workers but point is plenty of people work a lot harder for barely more then these whiney fucks who flip burgers and cant make change without help (some have gone to change machines). Ive seen plenty of people who whine about low wages but don't want to work too many hours or make too much money or they lose their freebies from the government Medicaid, CHIP, TANF and the rest.. So I find it ironic the dirty truth is a lot DONT want to make more money. Although the bad side is they actually get punished for slowly getting ahead by the government, that's the part that breeds dependency more then anythingelse.

Load Metric
    the minimum wage in Bangladesh was just raised to $67 per MONTH

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...35351833424162
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Thread Information