Thread: Steam Machine announced at $500. Before you buy either new game console, check this out.

Load Metric

Steam Machine announced at $500. Before you buy either new game console, check this out.

The idea of getting a computer into the living room has been around for 20 years. Valve looks like they might finally pull it off.

If anyone hasn't heard of the Steam Machine, the idea is that any computer manufacturer can produce a gaming PC that is certified to run a Linux-based SteamOS and functions as a media center/gaming console. You can even build or upgrade one yourself.

The first one was announced today at $500. That is a very solid video card that can support next generation "4K" TVs (4096x2160 resolution).

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Fir...ble-60770.html

Strangely, I own an iBuyPower PC. It's got some goofy quirks, but it was actually cheaper than building the same computer myself from retail priced parts.

I'm not one of those Gabe Newell nut huggers. I was set on getting an XBox next year (I have a PS4), but with those specs at that price, I am seriously tempted to get one of these. We will see if they can get game publishers to compile games for Linux.

I recently learned that Gabe Newell was an early Microsoft employee who never really had to work again after he turned 30. That's crazy. He must have a retarded amount of money.

Comments

PLOL: Go back to dd

LLL: Gabe Newell Nuthuggers

BetCheckBet:

nunbeater: linux rep

Load Metric
    This is an interesting development.

I think more interesting is if XboxOne launches PC game support and sell a keyboard and mouse. Which is technically possible.

Load Metric
    I have noticed a lot of the hardcore gamers seem to be pissed that it will only run the Steam OS. I don't know enough about it hardware wise, but the steam platform and the games that have been developed on it are pretty good imo. That is purely from a playing standpoint as I have ZERO technical computer expertise.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Sounds good. I'm no computer guy but I always hear about Linux being the superior platform for just
    about everything. Is this true and can someone with limited IT skills not be overwhelmed by the Linux operating system?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shea View Post
    Sounds good. I'm no computer guy but I always hear about Linux being the superior platform for just
    about everything. Is this true and can someone with limited IT skills not be overwhelmed by the Linux operating system?
    No idea what the steam OS will look like, but any linux OS aimed for the desktop or regular use has the same general GUI and start menu system as almost every other OS in the world. See icon, click icon, go. If you are just generally web browsing or word processing or doing what most home computer users do, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

Load Metric
    Linux is as ready for mainstream usage in the desktop market as Android is in the phone market. The UI is as good as Windows and the underlying OS is miles ahead of Microsoft. Steam chooses to use Linux because it is the best platform to use. The open source nature of a heavily adopted and mature technology ensures it will be maintained to be both secure and efficient.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: linux is everywhere rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Linux is as ready for mainstream usage in the desktop market as Android is in the phone market. The UI is as good as Windows and the underlying OS is miles ahead of Microsoft. Steam chooses to use Linux because it is the best platform to use. The open source nature of a heavily adopted and mature technology ensures it will be maintained to be both secure and efficient.
    I ran Linux back in 1996-7. That was a pain in the ass.

The biggest problem Linux has in the gaming market is drivers. I don't know the exact details, but the reason that Valve is certifying specific hardware as "Steam Machines" is because they know there are solid Linux drivers available for that hardware.

Load Metric
    Their goal is that you would interact with this device very much like a gaming console. The Linux stuff would be completely hidden from you and you wouldn't need any technical knowledge of it. We will see how well they can execute that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    The idea of getting a computer into the living room has been around for 20 years. Valve looks like they might finally pull it off.

If anyone hasn't heard of the Steam Machine, the idea is that any computer manufacturer can produce a gaming PC that is certified to run a Linux-based SteamOS and functions as a media center/gaming console. You can even build or upgrade one yourself.

The first one was announced today at $500. That is a very solid video card that can support next generation "4K" TVs (4096x2160 resolution).

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Fir...ble-60770.html

Strangely, I own an iBuyPower PC. It's got some goofy quirks, but it was actually cheaper than building the same computer myself from retail priced parts.

I'm not one of those Gabe Newell nut huggers. I was set on getting an XBox next year (I have a PS4), but with those specs at that price, I am seriously tempted to get one of these. We will see if they can get game publishers to compile games for Linux.

I recently learned that Gabe Newell was an early Microsoft employee who never really had to work again after he turned 30. That's crazy. He must have a retarded amount of money.
    Thats a really big if imho.

If this doesnt catch on with the general public, I dont see many games supporting it. Just not worth the companies time to do this. Will be cool if it catches on though, please keep us updated.

Load Metric
    I agree that anyone buying PS4 or XBOXone is a fool at the current prices. Ibuypower is great company. Upgraded my 600$ 2 year old Ibuypower desktop with new power source and video card and now can run anything on high settings. Not sold on the steam console yet though. The fact that computers aren't shitty consoles is why most users like them so much. And this post is coming from a former Nintendo fanboy.

Also Linux games have absolutely exploded in the past year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokehead View Post
    Thats a really big if imho.

If this doesnt catch on with the general public, I dont see many games supporting it. Just not worth the companies time to do this. Will be cool if it catches on though, please keep us updated.
    Definitely a big if. I will not be buying one of these things on the first day.

It has not been worth game developers' time because of the small base of Linux gamers. Linux has a small base of gamers because the driver situation is bad. Valve is trying to address the driver problem. At least in the near term, Valve can just straight up bribe developers to release Linux ports.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Also Linux games have absolutely exploded in the past year.
    There has been an increase, but it's almost all coming from indie developers. Early adopters and the kind of people who know about and play indie games (see: big nerds like me). But they will need big budget "AAA" games if they want to compete in the same arena with Playstation and XBox.

The top 5 best selling Linux games on Steam this week are-

Left 4 Dead 2 (released in 2009)
    Don't Starve
    Rogue Legacy
    Prison Architect
    Game Dev Tycoon

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

Load Metric
    The more I follow the new steam console the more I come convinced that this will be one of the biggest disasters in modern gaming. A few months ago they released their prototype controller which was quickly shelved due to the horrible response.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/28/s...dev-reactions/

I mean really... what were they thinking?

Name:  steam-controller.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  19.0 KB

Its like the guys designing this thing have never played a video game...

Seems like even the initial supports of steams new system are now shying away. There just doesn't seem any good reason to go out and buy this. Steam even just announced they will allow uplay and origin on the console which should tell you their confidence in games at this point.

Load Metric
    Computer guys don't know how to make gaming controllers because real computer gamers use kb/mouse to own heads
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Thread Information