Thread: What Would Dan Druff Do? - Employee Vomit Edition

Banned
    Load Metric

What Would Dan Druff Do? - Employee Vomit Edition

Apologies if this is a bit tl;dr, but I value the opinions of Druff and this community when it comes to customer service disasters.

So my sister had a weird experience getting her oil changed and car washed. She sent the following letter to the owner, but never received a reply

To Whom it May Concern:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 I took my vehicle to the ****** Car Wash on ***** ********* Street around noon to have my oil changed. When the car was finished with its service, the employees of ***** put my vehicle through their complimentary car wash and delivered my car to me.

When I got back in my car I noticed an unusual smell but I ignored it. However, the next day the pungent smell could not be ignored and I went as far as to asking a coworker if they could also identify the smell in my car. My coworker obliged and climbed into my car and confirmed what I had been thinking---it smelled like vomit.

I called the ****** Car Wash and asked to speak to the General Manager. When I got a hold of Roy, I explained the situation to him. He began questioning me, Did I leave my car outside? Are there cats in my neighborhood? Did I have my carpets shampooed? I insisted that an animal had not died in my engine and that the smell was not there before my car had been serviced, and he replied that there was nothing he could do without seeing my car. I said I would bring my car in on my lunch break, again.

When I arrived at ****** this afternoon, I told the young woman at the front desk that I wanted to speak with Roy, and she said he was on the phone. I said I would wait outside. After waiting outside for ten minutes, I go back inside and Roy is speaking to one of his employees in his office. The young woman then goes into the office to tell Roy I am waiting, and he walks right by me but as I am making eye contact with him, he stops and says, "Are you the one with the Corolla?" I said Yes and he begins walking outside.

First, Roy opens the car door and sticks his head inside. He says he cannot smell anything. Then he asks for the keys and says he wants to drive the car around with the AC on. He does this, and when he gets out of the car he says that he can smell exhaust and he believes I have an exhaust leak. I tell Roy that I know what those fumes smell like, and I know those are there, but the smell I was referring to is not that one. He then has one of his employees get in the car, and asks him if he can smell anything. I begin to tell Roy that I had my coworker also get in the car and he said he could smell vomit too. Roy's response was, "I don't care about your coworker. Your coworker isn't here." At this point, I realized that Roy was more interested in disproving my claim then trying to understand what had happened.

I told Roy that I wanted a refund because I was going to have to take my car to a professional car wash to have the interior cleaned to extract the vomit smell. He then accused me of trying to get him to wash my car for free. I asked him, "Why would I want you to wash my car again when the last time you did it came back smelling like vomit?" Our conversation became increasingly argumentative as I tried to hold my ground because he would not accept for a moment that his business may have caused the smell in my car. He said that his employees did not vomit in my car. I told him I never said that (although, as my father pointed out, how does Roy know? Was he watching them?) but I did suggest that maybe dirty rags were used to wipe the interior. Roy then goes to another employee and gets rags from that employee, and brings them to me and says, "Look, *******, these are the rags we use." I told him that him showing me those rags did not prove anything, that all I knew for a fact was that my car did not smell the way it did before it was serviced at ******.

Then, Roy tells me, "I don't mean to be....but..your car is dirty." I replied, "Now you're just insulting me." He replied, "As I said, I don't mean to cause offense." No matter what Roy could have followed up with, the damage was done. I found the mere insinuation that my car was dirty incredibly insulting and hurtful. He mentioned there were stains on the floorboards and suggested that if "maybe I cleaned the stains out" the smell would go away. I reminded Roy, again, that the car did not smell that way before I brought it to ****** but he would not accept what I had to say.

Roy's demeanor and attitude towards me was profoundly more offensive than the smell of vomit in my car. Not for one moment did relent and give me the benefit of the doubt that perhaps what I was saying was true. Instead, he continually belittled and degraded me not just in front of his employees but in front of other customers.

Sincerely,

Feeling helpless and defeated, she suggested that I write a song about the ordeal. I don't think that would solve anything and probably wouldn't make for a very good video anyway. But I'm not sure what else to advise her to do about this. Aside from leaving a bad Yelp review, I'm not sure that she has any recourse.

Druff, has anyone ever vomited in your car? How would you handle someone like Roy?

*not giggling*

Comments

Hockey Guy: Is this the anniversary of this happening? I doubt it.

fluffer: you have 103 messages

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    First of all anyone that takes their car to a car wash to have thier oil changed is a complete idiot.

22 years owning an auto repair used car lot I've seen those places leave the oil out of the car after draining it and returning it to the customer. Well you get what you pay for I guess.

BTW if you ever really want to f#ck with someone wrap a piece of bacon under the drivers seat and around a spring. In a week the smell will be so bad they won't even be able to get into the car. Plus it'll take them months to find it.

Load Metric
    Tell your sister to grow a sack and stop being so damn sensitive. It sounds like her feelings were a little too hurt when the douche said her car was dirty. She's wasting too much time on a minor issue.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Tell your sister to grow a sack and stop being so damn sensitive. It sounds like her feelings were a little too hurt when the douche said her car was dirty. She's wasting too much time on a minor issue.
    Since there's so little money involved here, this is more or less what I would have told her, if not for the fact that they left a stench in the car. I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    sounds like your "sister" has been inhaling too much of those exhaust leaks.

there is absolutely nothing that is going to happen. sounds like your "sister" drives a shitty and smelly car and writing a bunch of letters is not going to fix that.

*giggling*
    Load Metric

Banned
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    I'm trying to figure out how a vomit smell would be left in her car to begin with, without someone actually vomiting in the car. It's not like they run the rags over the seats, just the dash, so how would a smell stick to that? Did she actually try to wipe the dash or do anything other than complain after she discovered this smell? Did they shampoo her rugs? I'm guessing no but that is the only way I see this happening. If they don't remove the water in those vacs that can get pretty disgusting rather quickly, and that would make sense here.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how a vomit smell would be left in her car to begin with, without someone actually vomiting in the car. It's not like they run the rags over the seats, just the dash, so how would a smell stick to that? Did she actually try to wipe the dash or do anything other than complain after she discovered this smell? Did they shampoo her rugs? I'm guessing no but that is the only way I see this happening. If they don't remove the water in those vacs that can get pretty disgusting rather quickly, and that would make sense here.
    Now that you mention it, something similar happened to me several years ago when I got my car shampooed. The smell was a bit vomit-like, but it wasn't too strong and went away after several days.

I've also noticed that those squeegee bins at gas stations often smell like rotten cheese, which is why I've never used them.

I agree that dirty water is probably the culprit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Now that you mention it, something similar happened to me several years ago when I got my car shampooed. The smell was a bit vomit-like, but it wasn't too strong and went away after several days.

I've also noticed that those squeegee bins at gas stations often smell like rotten cheese, which is why I've never used them.

I agree that dirty water is probably the culprit.
    Yeah, that has to be the culprit. That's weird that they would wet vac the carpets and seats though on a free wash. Usually it's just a wash and a dry vac job. Sometimes when you have rubber floor mats, or light carpet mats they take them out and spray them down. That definitely could be the case here as well.

I rented one of those carpet cleaners from Lowe's a few months back to wash some of my furniture. They leave it up to the customer to bring them back washed, which is pretty ridiculous considering most people are too lazy and don't give a fuck unless they will be charged extra, which Lowe's doesn't do. Anyway, when I opened up the reservoir it stunk just like vomit. Obviously it hadn't been cleaned out in a while, there was even that grey carpet like matter still inside. It took a lot of effort to clean it out and get rid of the smell. When I brought it back I pointed this out to them and they told me this wasn't uncommon, and comped my rental.
    Last edited by vegas1369; 11-26-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Before I can answer I just need a little bit more of the back story if you don't mind. Does your sister like anal?

Comments

vegas1369: Legit LOL.

Hockey Guy: Yeah, gotta give it to you on this one.

nunbeater: solid

Load Metric
    I have had this happen to me after leaving a full service car wash. It was probably dirty rags. I would have had it re-cleaned before leaving this business. I don't really feel sorry for her. The manager seemed like a dick but he did offer to wash it again and make it right.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykilla View Post
    I have had this happen to me after leaving a full service car wash. It was probably dirty rags. I would have had it re-cleaned before leaving this business. I don't really feel sorry for her. The manager seemed like a dick but he did offer to wash it again and make it right.
    No he didn't. He accused her of trying to get a free wash, but never offered one.

*giggling*
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Before I can answer I just need a little bit more of the back story if you don't mind. Does your sister like anal?
    i dont know, but somehow i imagine a young SS spying through the bathroom keyhole

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    First off, as I stated in another "What Would Druff Do" thread, your sister made a big mistake WRITING to the owner. You should never write a letter or e-mail regarding any customer service matter, unless you absolutely cannot reach the person by phone. This is for two big reasons:

1) Letters, especially long ones, are rarely read in full. They are skimmed.

2) People by nature like to avoid confrontation, but are much braver to say "no" when they can do so without having to face (or hear) the complainer directly. Often these letters just get ignored.

Furthermore, your sister made a mistake by referring to it as a "complimentary" car wash. It wasn't complimentary. It was included in service she paid for, which is a huge difference. When you say something was complimentary, and then complain about it, you look like an ingrate, even when you're in the right.

With that stuff said, here are my opinions about the actual situation:

- Your sister should clean her car and make sure the smell was not coming from the clutter in her car. (I assume that's what Roy meant by "dirty".) As Sonny pointed out, even a single piece of food can make a horrid smell, so it's possible the car wash was innocent.

- Roy was not out of line by mentioning that your sister's car was dirty, as a possible reason for the smell. That's relevant here. He even tried to avoid mentioning it for awhile, and he didn't say it in all that rude of a way. Your sister shouldn't have been insulted. It's not like he called her ugly or fat.

- I agree that it's more likely that the car wash caused the smell, due to dirty rags or whatever, as has already been suggested here.

- Roy clearly has poor customer service skills. It does seem he tried too hard to disprove your sister's allegations, and if all she wanted was a re-wash, he should have snap-authorized that. It costs them nearly nothing to do this, and is the right play to keep the customer happy. Car washes get complaints all the time regarding poor jobs being done, and the reputable ones will instantly agree to do it again (or re-clean things they got dirty that they don't normally wash.)

My suggestion:

Your sister should first clean up the clutter and make 100% sure that this wasn't her fault in the first place.

If indeed the car wash was likely at fault, she should go to Yelp and write a bad (1 star) review for them. She should NOT write the book of a story above, but rather write something short and readable like this:

Took my car to this place for a wash and oil change, and can't believe what happened!

After the car wash, I noticed an unusual smell. After a few days, it became unbearable, so I contacted the place to see if they could re-clean. I got a hold of the manager, Roy, who demanded to drive around my car in order to figure out the smell. When he couldn't figure it out, he blamed it on something being wrong with my car, and then said it was probably my fault for not keeping my car clean enough!

I never requested any money back! All I wanted was for them to re-wash my car because their wash made my interior smell like VOMIT, and their rude manager flatly refused.

I'm never going back.
    That should keep some prospective customers away, and your sister will get her pound of flesh.

Oh, make sure you use an established Yelp account for this. If you create one just for this review, it will get filtered.

Finally, you forgot to censor the name of the place in one spot. I just did it for you.

Comments

SrslySirius:

fluffer: '' Letters, especially long ones, are rarely read in full. They are skimmed.''

Load Metric
    The answer to the question posed without a doubt is that Druff would orchestrate a campaign to ensure some minimum wage employee would get fired and then start a thread about it on PFA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Thread Information