Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL*** MLB 2013 offseason/free agency thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yankees throwing around more money landing Japanese Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka at 7 years, $155 million. This guy went 24-0 with a 1.27 era last year and for his career in Japan was 99-35 with a 2.30 era.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eal/?cid=yahoo

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Yankees throwing around more money landing Japanese Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka at 7 years, $155 million. This guy went 24-0 with a 1.27 era last year and for his career in Japan was 99-35 with a 2.30 era.

And don't forget 20 mill to the Japanese team.

Stealing Arod's money to pay Masa.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

"I think he's a better pitcher than Darvish," says Japanese baseball writer Jim Allen. "He's the best pitcher that's been in Japan, not in terms of stuff -- there were other pitchers who were probably as good -- but in terms of athleticism, physical build, and mental makeup, there's never been such a complete package."

24-0.

Here's a theory:
    In Japan, when one team throws their ace pitcher, the other team will throw their back of the rotation guy against him conceding the probable loss. They don't go Ace versus Ace there.

Managers will often try and match up rotations. Sometimes it's a case of being aggressive, and matching up your no.1 with their no.1, your no.2 with their no.2 and so forth.

However, equally a team can benefit from getting rotations out of kilter, throw your no.5 at their no.1 (expecting him to get beaten), then your no.1 at their no.2, your no.2 at their no.3 and so forth.

Effectively by conceding one major mismatch you may get the advantage in the other two (or more) games of a series. Each game only counts as one win!

Yankees are tossing huge money into the pot on a draw. They don't have the nuts but it could hit.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-22-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    regardless of cost, the yanks have improved immensely.

a good hitting catcher capable of hitting 30 ding dongs as a yank..not to mention play great defense...no brainer considering how shitty MLB standard catchers are these day..

ellsbury could also be an MVP type player for the yanks..all he has to do is hit 20 ding dongs as well..you know the AVG, defense and SB's will be there.

beltran will also benefit from the short porch. 20/80/280 is well within reach for this vet.

and tanaka...the yanks needed a frontline SP him, and they got him.

these moves are some of the best ever by the yankee front office...i really want them to get k. morales, but he really has no place to play.....that guy can rake, and i would take him over cruz anyday

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post

a good hitting catcher capable of hitting 30 ding dongs as a yank..not to mention play great defense...no brainer considering how shitty MLB standard catchers are these day..

ellsbury could also be an MVP type player for the yanks..all he has to do is hit 20 ding dongs as well..you know the AVG, defense and SB's will be there.

beltran will also benefit from the short porch. 20/80/280 is well within reach for this vet.

these moves are some of the best ever by the yankee front office...i really want them to get k. morales, but he really has no place to play.....that guy can rake, and i would take him over cruz anyday
    Cashman has done a great job. Yankees are relevant again and will fill some empty seats and the sports pages.

Be interesting if they land Stephen Drew, the Red Sox shortstop last year, and park him at third - or maybe short if need be.

Load Metric
    Garza signs with Milwaukee. 4 years, 52M. Not the worst signing I've seen but the term is okay.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=441985
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

People all forget about someone who should have a big year Michael Pineda. He could end up being the top P for the Yankees. Still only 24.

Just a conspiracy theory but, maybe he did a Bartolo Colon. Take a trip home to the Dominican Republic to get some stem cells injected in the shoulder.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Garza signs with Milwaukee. 4 years, 52M. Not the worst signing I've seen but the term is okay.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=441985

My Brewer Blood perked a bit with this signing. It does give some stability to the rotation with Gallardo, Steady Lohse, and Garza as your top three. But, I agree not a wowsa signing. At least Melvin did something in this year's poor free agency pool, sigh.

Comments

ShadyJ: Brewers suck so who the fuck cares rep

Load Metric
    opening day, spring training

Reddick robbed Morse of 2 HR's
    this is an amazing catch.

https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/438801179661717504

http://instagram.com/p/k5SRqBMDN5/

Comments

BeerAndPoker: really good catch! +1

Load Metric
    This is a much better video, from the A's website.

Both these were hit by the Giants new LF Morse, might be a long season.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31389439/oak...40226_19199214

Load Metric
    If anyone is planning any roads trips to SF for games,

just had my season ticket draft
    these are my games, they will all be on stub hub starting at like $ 125 per seat
    they cost little under 100 a pair, so I have some wiggle room, (dodger games are more $$$ than padre games, obv)

I have Section 127 row 10, seats 11&12, this is a view from 127 row 11-20.
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/s...k/seats_3d.jsp EDIT:can't link to the exact seat, just the chart, use lower box section 127 row 11-20, as the 1-10 view looks like it is from the first row, and my seats are 10 back.

Fri, 4/11 Rockies 7:15p Jim
    Thu, 4/17 Dodgers 12:45p Jim
    Sun, 4/27 Indians 1:05p Jim
    Mon, 5/12 Braves 7:15p Jim
    Wed, 5/14 Braves 12:45p Jim
    Sat, 5/24 Twins 7:05p Jim
    Mon, 5/26 Cubs 1:05p Jim
    Wed, 5/28 Cubs 12:45p Jim
    Fri, 6/6 Mets 7:15p Jim
    Wed, 6/11 Nationals 7:15p Jim
    Thu, 6/12 Nationals 12:45p Jim
    Sat, 6/14 Rockies 1:05p Jim
    Fri, 6/27 Reds 7:15p Jim
    Wed, 7/2 Cardinals 7:15p Jim
    Thu, 7/3 Cardinals 12:45p Jim
    Thu, 7/10 Athletics 12:45p Jim
    Sun, 7/27 Dodgers 1:05p Jim
    Wed, 8/13 White Sox 12:45p Jim
    Fri, 9/12 Dodgers 7:15p Jim
    Sun, 9/14 Dodgers 1:05p Jim
    Last edited by JimmyG_415; 03-09-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    If anyone is planning any roads trips to SF for games,

just had my season ticket draft
    these are my games, they will all be on stub hub starting at like $ 125 per seat
    they cost little under 100 a pair, so I have some wiggle room, (dodger games are more $$$ than padre games, obv)

I have Section 127 row 10, seats 11&12, this is a view from 127 row 11-20.
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/s...k/seats_3d.jsp EDIT:can't link to the exact seat, just the chart, use lower box section 127 row 11-20, as the 1-10 view looks like it is from the first row, and my seats are 10 back.

Fri, 4/11 Rockies 7:15p Jim
    Thu, 4/17 Dodgers 12:45p Jim
    Sun, 4/27 Indians 1:05p Jim
    Mon, 5/12 Braves 7:15p Jim
    Wed, 5/14 Braves 12:45p Jim
    Sat, 5/24 Twins 7:05p Jim
    Mon, 5/26 Cubs 1:05p Jim
    Wed, 5/28 Cubs 12:45p Jim
    Fri, 6/6 Mets 7:15p Jim
    Wed, 6/11 Nationals 7:15p Jim
    Thu, 6/12 Nationals 12:45p Jim
    Sat, 6/14 Rockies 1:05p Jim
    Fri, 6/27 Reds 7:15p Jim
    Wed, 7/2 Cardinals 7:15p Jim
    Thu, 7/3 Cardinals 12:45p Jim
    Thu, 7/10 Athletics 12:45p Jim
    Sun, 7/27 Dodgers 1:05p Jim
    Wed, 8/13 White Sox 12:45p Jim
    Fri, 9/12 Dodgers 7:15p Jim
    Sun, 9/14 Dodgers 1:05p Jim
    Wy wife wants to go to Seattle in June for some ball games. I want to go to San Francisco. We'll see who wins.

Who am I kidding, if we go, we're almost certainly going to Seattle June 11th to 16th.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias confirmed Monday that he has stress fractures in both of his shins but said he "absolutely" expects to play at some point this season.

Claims he played with the fractures last year. Did not heal in off season. Did Tigers do anything to address this? Probably not.

Iglesias is a phenom & his supreme self confidence makes him a prima donna at times. Love that shit.

So sick that freaky ability is ruined by what will probably be a long drawn out injury.

Peralta getting suspended was part of the Tigers success last year. IMO. Tigers defense was below average.

Tigers will turn to Red Sox again. Sox are just so stacked with young talent. Best farm system in baseball. Started years ago with Dan Duquette.

Boston Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts is one of the best young players in baseball. He needs to plays everyday.

Stephen Drew & Scott Boras turned down the $14 million qualifying offer from the Sox. Boras has been fucking around for months. Can't believe no deal was struck with the Yankees. Boras is gonna want a multi year deal. Tigers should do the deal and trade Drew later. It's now or never for Tigers.

Drew is a plus plus defensive shortstop. He gets a knock about his offense. But...

Drew, 4 for 50 in the postseason heading into the clinching game 6 of the World Series. So Drew made a quick trip to the eye doctor. The result was contact lenses, and he finally started making contact.
    He hit three rockets in the Red Sox's 6-1 victory, went 2 for 4, including a home run.

Crazy story. Baseball players never change their routine. It's the fucking World Series. He's played his entire life in a particular way. and he changes his VISION. Unreal.

Be a cool gamble to see if Drew's vision at the plate is sustained. He may rake.

Hated the way his brother, JD Drew, approached the plate. Endlessly frustrated Boston fans. They are both so conservative. We will see.

Ball is in Tigers court. They have a weird front office. Never bagged the closer last year. Coulda had Papelbon. Fucked around and it cost them the playoffs IMO.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-18-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

People all forget about someone who should have a big year Michael Pineda. He could end up being the top P for the Yankees. Still only 24.

Just a conspiracy theory but, maybe he did a Bartolo Colon. Take a trip home to the Dominican Republic to get some stem cells injected in the shoulder.
    Yankees Red Sox on ESPN with Pineda P, ace of the rotation by years end. Good deep value in fantasy leagues also this year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias confirmed Monday that he has stress fractures in both of his shins but said he "absolutely" expects to play at some point this season.

Claims he played with the fractures last year. Did not heal in off season. Did Tigers do anything to address this? Probably not.

Iglesias is a phenom & his supreme self confidence makes him a prima donna at times. Love that shit.

So sick that freaky ability is ruined by what will probably be a long drawn out injury.

Peralta getting suspended was part of the Tigers success last year. IMO. Tigers defense was below average.

Tigers will turn to Red Sox again. Sox are just so stacked with young talent. Best farm system in baseball. Started years ago with Dan Duquette.

Boston Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts is one of the best young players in baseball. He needs to plays everyday.

Stephen Drew & Scott Boras turned down the $14 million qualifying offer from the Sox. Boras has been fucking around for months. Can't believe no deal was struck with the Yankees. Boras is gonna want a multi year deal. Tigers should do the deal and trade Drew later. It's now or never for Tigers.

Drew is a plus plus defensive shortstop. He gets a knock about his offense. But...

Drew, 4 for 50 in the postseason heading into the clinching game 6 of the World Series. So Drew made a quick trip to the eye doctor. The result was contact lenses, and he finally started making contact.
    He hit three rockets in the Red Sox's 6-1 victory, went 2 for 4, including a home run.

Crazy story. Baseball players never change their routine. It's the fucking World Series. He's played his entire life in a particular way. and he changes his VISION. Unreal.

Be a cool gamble to see if Drew's vision at the plate is sustained. He may rake.

Hated the way his brother, JD Drew, approached the plate. Endlessly frustrated Boston fans. They are both so conservative. We will see.

Ball is in Tigers court. They have a weird front office. Never bagged the closer last year. Coulda had Papelbon. Fucked around and it cost them the playoffs IMO.
    It's still the offseason, right?

I forgot to add Drew is a much needed left handed bat.

I am not sure but I think to get Drew Tigers have to give up first round draft choice too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    For those of you up all night, catch the Dodgers on the MLB Network in Sydney playing a REGULAR SEASON game against the Diamondbacks on Saturday night.

It will start at 1:00am (yes, AM) Pacific, on Friday night/Saturday morning.

If you can't stay up for that, they play again at 7pm PT on Saturday night.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    For those of you up all night, catch the Dodgers on the MLB Network in Sydney playing a REGULAR SEASON game against the Diamondbacks on Saturday night.

Are you going to keep Benjamin up that late for some father and son bonding?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I am willing to translate the play by play for you, Druff.

Load Metric
    Scott Boras owns the Tigers. Tigers front office is no match.

Boras represents Scherzer & Drew. Tigers need both.

Tigers: Scherzer rejects offer

Boras: Tigers rejected Scherzer's offer.

Scherzer's agent Scott Boras, in a phone conversation with ESPN.com on Sunday, countered the Tigers' statement by saying that Scherzer did not reject the offer but instead it was the team that turned it down.

Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said.

An industry source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that the Tigers' offer to Scherzer was for a slightly lower figure than the $25.7 million per year that Justin Verlander received in the extension he signed last spring, but still would have placed Scherzer among the top six highest-paid pitchers in baseball by average annual value of the deal.

That would mean the offer would have averaged at least $24 million a year. The only pitchers currently earning that much or more are the Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw ($30.7 million per year), Verlander, the Seattle Mariners' Felix Hernandez ($25 million per year), the Dodgers' Zack Greinke ($24.5 million per year), the New York Yankees' CC Sabathia ($24.4 million per year), and the Philadelphia Phillies' Cliff Lee ($24 million per year) and Cole Hamels ($24 million per year).

Obviously, a package deal is what has to happen. Sign Drew and you get cooperation with Boras for Scherzer. Fuck around and Scherzer is gone. My guess is the Tigers don't "get the deal done". They fucked around with the closer situation last year.

The Tigers, like the Dodgers, are a go for broke situation. Aging with no farm system.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-23-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Scherzer don't want this to be a distraction during the season so if they couldn't work out the contract prior then he said he would wait until after the year but prefers to remain a Tiger. Whether that changes or not at the end of the year who knows and if he don't have a great season like last year then perhaps he will wish he signed before the 2014 regular season started.

Thread Information