Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL*** MLB 2013 offseason/free agency thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    lol @ the new posting max of 20mil for jap players wanting to play in the usa.

mlb wants to cap it at that..and because the npb stands to lose 50mil or more might not even post tanaka.

mlb is fucking the fans here..small market teams have no chance regardless...and who the fuck cares about the luxury tax

if i was running the npb i would telll mlb to fuck off as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    if ellsbury can somehow hit 20hr's in yankee stadium, to go along w/ his 40/50 sb's and 300avg he becomes an MVP type player......just like trout.

if he hits 10hrs' w/ a 280/280avg..well...lol ..he just becomes a solid player borderline AS making 20mil annually...

thing is..gardner is a similar player, not as good mind you,,..but making far less, and the nyy will prolly run him out of town.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Astros acquire Dexter Fowler from Rockies for Jordan Lyles and Brandon Barnes.

What are the Rockies thinking? Lyles is said to have potential but got hit hard last year. Barnes is already 27 and not producing much.

Guess it's another cellar finish for the Rockies.
    Rockies & Astros are a powerful argument for the adoption of European Soccers practice of promotion & relegation.

In fact, whole tiers or divisions are sent down in some sports.... I'm thinking NL West.

Send those two wretched franchises down to Triple A and send up Nolan Ryan's Round Rock Express or the Paw Sox. The public loves an underdog.

Bring a little focus toward preserving the value of what is, for many teams, almost billion dollars of value.

Which has got me to thinking about how inexcusable the inept management of some major league teams is.

Tom Brady is slated for $8 million base salary in 2016.
    Red Sox sign 37 year old A.J. Pierzynski to a one year $8.25 millioncontract.

You want to talk about the financial resources available to baseball? It's beyond your imagination. But the General Managers running these financial empires are unable to do anything but chase the same aging ball players.

While I think the Dodgers GM is an imbecile, I offer the two young Cuban players as examples of how a little hard work on the front end yields a much more exciting product than the old business model (i.e. Becket, Crawford, etc.)

I am just ranting a bit. I apologize Druff. You were the last to post and my F'ing Bitcoin short is running away from me.

Load Metric
    Dodgers resign Brian Wilson for 1yr/$10 m, with a player option for $9m for the next year.

An under the radar trade that probably helps both teams with the Brewers sending Norchika Aoki to Royals for Will Smith. Alfonso Ribeiro might get thrown in as the PTBNL.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Even though it was talked about for a few days now I didn't think Robinson Cano would sign with the Seattle Mariners but now he has inked the 10 year $240 million dollar deal. The guy is 31 so the last two to three years on that contract might be a complete waste and more then that can be if the Mariners aren't going to open their wallets to several other players to build up their current dog shit team that will still be headed towards a 90 loss season next year.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Even though it was talked about for a few days now I didn't think Robinson Cano would sign with the Seattle Mariners but now he has inked the 10 year $240 million dollar deal. The guy is 31 so the last two to three years on that contract might be a complete waste and more then that can be if the Mariners aren't going to open their wallets to several other players to build up their current dog shit team that will still be headed towards a 90 loss season next year.
    It's a big splash and he is a great player, but it's too much money for too many years. I don't like the way baseball contracts are set up.

It's exciting, but I pretty much agree with B&P.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i remember when detroit overpaid for mag's. they had to overpay because no player wants to come to a shitty team....this was when detroit sucked and just before bonderman, verlander and some other young players came up and they started to get much better. needless to say, once they started winning and mag's was crushing the ball, you didn't hear much the crazy money they threw at him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    i remember when detroit overpaid for mag's. they had to overpay because no player wants to come to a shitty team....this was when detroit sucked and just before bonderman, verlander and some other young players came up and they started to get much better. needless to say, once they started winning and mag's was crushing the ball, you didn't hear much the crazy money they threw at him.
    They did overpay for Mags, however, overpaying then wasn't as costly as it is now. Everyone makes some terrible decisions and overpaying for Mags was nothing compared to when the Tigers traded like half their team away for Juan Gonzalez.

With that said the Mags contract wasn't ten years either which imo you don't give a guy whose 31.

Only time will tell with Cano but Seattle will have to start shelling out a bunch more money to improve that team that plays in a division with Oakland and Texas.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    It's a big splash and he is a great player, but it's too much money for too many years. I don't like the way baseball contracts are set up.

Wasn't he offered about that much in their initial offer to stay with the Yankees? Terrible contract for Seattle but at least the Yankees can afford these stupid deals from a financial standpoint.

Is this a change in philosophy for the Mariners? Even when they had good teams they never spent money recklessly like this. I could justify it if Cano was the missing piece but they're obviously a long way from competing for the division. In my mind this is worse than the Fielder signing in Detroit. At least a case could be made that he would/could help you win the WS.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Sure it will prob be a waste on the back end but would you rather go watch him or Kyle Seager every night? I'm impressed that the Mariners are opening there wallets here.

I think contracts are too high in Baseball. Especially when just about every mega deal has been a fail so far. Can't the owners use this as leverage against players now? Guess not cause there will always be another team willing to pay.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

Wasn't he offered about that much in their initial offer to stay with the Yankees? Terrible contract for Seattle but at least the Yankees can afford these stupid deals from a financial standpoint.

Is this a change in philosophy for the Mariners? Even when they had good teams they never spent money recklessly like this. I could justify it if Cano was the missing piece but they're obviously a long way from competing for the division. In my mind this is worse than the Fielder signing in Detroit. At least a case could be made that he would/could help you win the WS.
    Yankees offered him $70 million less.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

Sure it will prob be a waste on the back end but would you rather go watch him or Kyle Seager every night? I'm impressed that the Mariners are opening there wallets here.

I think contracts are too high in Baseball. Especially when just about every mega deal has been a fail so far. Can't the owners use this as leverage against players now? Guess not cause there will always be another team willing to pay.
    With an uncapped league, someone will always pay these guys a bit more than we think they "deserve". But, like you mentioned, Cano (barring injury) will be worth much more than what they are paying him for the first few years just with the uptick in attendance and merch sales.

Whats interesting with this signing is now Seattle has a glut of talent in the infield, so they now have a decent trade chip to try to improve the weak-hitting OF. Either Brad Miller or Nick Franklin could be a centerpiece in a deal to net a decent hitter if they want to go that route.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

Yankees offered him $70 million less.
    Yeah, it was for approx. the same average annual salary but for only 7 years. Gotta take the extra term I guess.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I was just thinking of the yankees lineup for next season, and I actually think that on paper (no injuries, arod actually playing and not suspended) it looks better than their original on paper lineup from last season....even with Cano gone.

Something like:

Ellsbury CF
    Jeter SS
    ARod 3B
    Texeira 1B
    Soriano DH
    McCann C
    Johnson 2B
    Ichiro RF
    Gardner LF

Thats a damn solid order with a good mix of power, speed, and OBP. Of course, it is a GIANT leap to assume all these guys will be healthy or, in ARod's case, even playing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Kuroda 1 year $16m Yankees

Granderson 4 years $60m Mets

Napoli 2 years $32m Red Sox

Dodgers also looking into trading Kemp.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Beltran to the Yanks, 3 years $45 m

That's a lot to spend on an aging player.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Brian Wilson is back on the Dodgers for another year, this time for $10 million.

A little expensive for a setup man who pitched just 2 months after a long injury, but he looked excellent last year, and I'm glad to see him back.

Comments

Hockey Guy: This was already posted 6 days ago :moonlanding

Load Metric
    Mets sign Bartolo Colon 2 year for 20M. WTF?

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=438761

PED's work motherfuckers. Why wouldn't you do them?

Comments

Sanlmar: Misplaced props rep
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Mets sign Bartolo Colon 2 year for 20M. WTF?

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=438761

PED's work motherfuckers. Why wouldn't you do them?
    *** THE OFFICIAL MENS COLOGNE THREAD ***

That some over priced stink.

Load Metric
    Ned Colletti - Dodgers - on MLB Network sounds like a used car salesman trying to assuage concern about Kemp's health.

Guy's an imbecile

Thread Information