Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL*** MLB 2013 offseason/free agency thread

Load Metric

***OFFICIAL*** MLB 2013 offseason/free agency thread

might as well make an appropriate thread for the discussion in the tiger/sox thread.

Vargas signs with KC today. KC obviously figured they'd be priced out on Santana and will try another reclamation project from the Angels. Probably won't work quite as well, as Vargas at his best is a soft tosser/ #3-4 type starter. I'm surprised my Twins didn't push hard for him, as they love guys who throw fastballs topping out around 86 MPH. Heh

Ruiz back with the Phillies, not a real big surprise there.

I still think Cano stays with the Yanks, but he is definitely the big domino that has to fall before the other big names start signing.

Load Metric
    I also thought the Giants signing Hudson (2/$23m) was a great move for them that kinda slipped under the radar. Health a big issue for him, as he has only hit 30 starts twice in the last 6 years, but when he's on he a solid frontline starter, and the giants are bringing him in in essence to be a #4 guy, assuming Cain and Lincecum have their heads on straight this coming year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Whose available and/or where they've signed:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents

I expect lots of trading deals as well with a few big ones that have already happened.

Load Metric
    Thread wouldn't be complete without mentioning the blockbuster deal the Phil's have with Marlon Byrd.

Championship!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Whose available and/or where they've signed:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents

I expect lots of trading deals as well with a few big ones that have already happened.
    Another deal today that is the same as the DET-TEX one, but with lesser players. Freese and Salas to angels for Bourjos and a prospect. STL clearing up a spot for Wong in the lineup, LAA needed a 3B, another winning trade on paper for both teams.

Still have the Dodgers OF situation waiting for a trade to happen. Oakland also has a pretty deep rotation now, and might deal one for some infield help.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    stupid ownership in pittsburgh. a team that's in contention won't even give burnett 14 mil one year deal...they prolly won't even offer 12.

bunch of idiots...a low risk move they can flip if they don't contend

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    8mil gets the mets chris young.

i don't know if this is good or bad. it's good in the sense that the mets can now bench one of the the non english speaking bad news bears mexican OF's they trot out there.

it's bad in the sense of they're playing 8 mil for a fourth OF type and starting him...guy looks like a very old version of mike cameron.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the past couple days:

Brian McCann signs with the Yankees for 5 years, $85 million.

Jhonny Peralta signs with the Cardinals. The deal is 4 years, $53 million.

Dodgers are near signing Dan Haren to a one year, $10 million deal with an option for 2015.

IMO, the Yankees overpaid for McCann.

Load Metric
    In the past couple days:

Dodgers are near signing Dan Haren to a one year, $10 million deal with an option for 2015.

Just goes to show you there are no REAL repurcussions from using PED's.

All these contracts are insane IMO.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    In the past couple days:

Dombrowski declined to offer him a $14.1 million one-year qualifying offer at the close of the 2013 season, a decision that, in hindsight, might’ve been a bit of a misstep. Had he declined it — and given the money he’s poised to get, he probably would’ve — the Tigers would now be in line to collect a prime draft pick. Still, Dombrowski said it wasn’t a tough decision.

“No, it was not,” he said. “We did not anticipate the contract amount. If we had, we would have offered it (the qualifying offer).”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2lfxkr8JH

I think D.D. fucked up. Assuming Miggy goes back to 1st and Castellanos plays 3rd. I'm not sure he is ready to be an everyday player. Got a feeling he is gonna struggle. Remember when all we heard about was Sizemore and how we were set at 2nd for the next decade? Hope the kid lives up to the hype.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Agree that the Yanks overpaid for McCann. He hasn't hit over .270 since 2009, and he has hit under .250 over his last 900 plate appearances.

I don't like giving Dan Haren $10 million, but at least it's only for 1 year. He was very unimpressive last year, seemingly alternating some good outings with some horrendous ones. He is 33, and his last two seasons have seen a combined ERA of around 4.50. Ugh.

Also LOL @ signing Peralta for 4 years, $53 million after the PED suspension. Which one do you think you'll get? The 2012 Peralta who hit .239, or the 2013 version who hit .303 while on PEDs? Oh, and his defense sucks, too. At least Hanley Ramirez makes up for his defense with a big bat.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Also LOL @ signing Peralta for 4 years, $53 million after the PED suspension. Which one do you think you'll get? The 2012 Peralta who hit .239, or the 2013 version who hit .303 while on PEDs? Oh, and his defense sucks, too.
    PEDs sort of had the reverse effect on Peralta. He took them in spring training 2012 which is the year he hit for shit but was off of them last year and hit way better. Many of the guys on PEDs get greedy swinging for the fences every time that it crushes their batting average. These hitters strike out more becoming the homerun or nothing type of hitter.

Peralta's defense does indeed suck. I wouldn't have given him that kind of contract either but I do see his bat helping the Cardinals out.

Load Metric
    Agree that the Yanks overpaid for McCann. He hasn't hit over .270 since 2009, and he has hit under .250 over his last 900 plate appearances.

I don't like giving Dan Haren $10 million, but at least it's only for 1 year. He was very unimpressive last year, seemingly alternating some good outings with some horrendous ones. He is 33, and his last two seasons have seen a combined ERA of around 4.50. Ugh.

Also LOL @ signing Peralta for 4 years, $53 million after the PED suspension. Which one do you think you'll get? The 2012 Peralta who hit .239, or the 2013 version who hit .303 while on PEDs? Oh, and his defense sucks, too. At least Hanley Ramirez makes up for his defense with a big bat.
    I think the McCann deal is fine. If you believe in stats like WAR, the general economic figure being used right now is that a "win" is basically worth around $6 million on average.

McCann last year: 402 PA 2.2 WAR

Yankees catchers: Stewart 340 PA 0.2 WAR
    Romine 148 PA -0.7 WAR

Cervelli technically put up a 0.8 WAR in his 17 games before getting hurt, but it was a bit of an anomaly offensively, as he slugged .500 in those at bats compared to a career .367 slugging avg. Even adding that in, Mcann (in a season limited by injuries himself) would have been worth about 2 wins more than what the yankees put behind the plate last year. Roughly worth $12 million to them.

Position scarcity also plays a big role there, as it does for Peralta as well. With Mauer getting ready to move to being primarily a 1B, Mccann is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best hitting catcher in the game right now, and is generally considered to be at least league average as a defender/game caller.

Load Metric
    The economics of baseball have really changed. The cat is out of the bag that Big Big contracts just aren't worth it. The red sox just clawed their way to a WS win with a bunch of 2-3-4 year 13-16M per contracts. More importantly what they dont have is a Pujols or a A-Rod disaster to deal with.

I think Cano will have a hard time landing a $200M deal and any talk of a $300M 10 year deal is just fucking dumb.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I think the McCann deal is fine. If you believe in stats like WAR, the general economic figure being used right now is that a "win" is basically worth around $6 million on average.

McCann last year: 402 PA 2.2 WAR

Yankees catchers: Stewart 340 PA 0.2 WAR
    Romine 148 PA -0.7 WAR

Cervelli technically put up a 0.8 WAR in his 17 games before getting hurt, but it was a bit of an anomaly offensively, as he slugged .500 in those at bats compared to a career .367 slugging avg. Even adding that in, Mcann (in a season limited by injuries himself) would have been worth about 2 wins more than what the yankees put behind the plate last year. Roughly worth $12 million to them.

Position scarcity also plays a big role there, as it does for Peralta as well. With Mauer getting ready to move to being primarily a 1B, Mccann is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best hitting catcher in the game right now, and is generally considered to be at least league average as a defender/game caller.
    It's not an awful contract. It's "a lot" of money, but its not an albatross if he blows a knee out.

Load Metric
    Fister apparently just traded to the Nats. No word yet on the return.

I am happy with the Twins signing of Nolasco and Hughes. In a vacuum, you could say they are overpaid, but with the worst starters in the league last year, the Twins almost had to get a couple hard throwers. I expected them to go cheap again and wind up with older, pitch to contact soft-tossers like Arroyo or Maholm. I'm glad they're taking a risk on Nolasco and hughes instead.

Load Metric
    wow, apparently the return for Fister is:

Lombardozzi (2B, weak hitting utility type player)
    Koln (young lefty reliever, looked ok last year in 1/2 season debut
    Ray (LHP prospect, basically the centerpiece of the deal)

Very odd trade for Detroit. I suppose they feel fine with Smyly hopping back into the rotation, or perhaps they're targeting another pitcher as well to bring in. Nats big 4 in the rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, and Fister now might be the best in baseball at this moment, depending on what else Detroit and the Dodgers do.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Trading Fister seems odd but they are looking at it long term I guess since he was eligible for $6 million in salary arbitration and that Detroit is looking for some lefty arms but I'd of rather got one decent player then a bunch of garbage which for a deep team like Detroit has I bet like just one of these guys makes the opening day roster.

Now that they got rid of Fister I bet they intend to sign Scherzer 100% and keep Porcello as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tampa Bay acquired Ryan Hanigan and Heath Bell.

Way to make a big splash in the offseason, guys.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...ree-team-trade

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Astros acquire Dexter Fowler from Rockies for Jordan Lyles and Brandon Barnes.

What are the Rockies thinking? Lyles is said to have potential but got hit hard last year. Barnes is already 27 and not producing much.

Guess it's another cellar finish for the Rockies.

Thread Information