I tried to Google this without any luck. Like pretty much all businesses these days, i think this one is trying to fuck me.

So I got a diamond in a setting. I want to move diamond to new setting. Found the setting I want w it will take approx 3 weeks to move the stone from the old setting to the new one. Sounds like a long time but whatever.

I got quoted for the whole thing which is about what I figured it out it would cost. However, they then are trying to charge me 500 for an "insurance fee." The explanation I got is that if they are handling a stone they need to be insured in case something happens to the stone, like they lose it or scratch it. So now I am annoyed. Had they simply added 500 to the price of the whole thing I probably would have not questioned it, as the price would still be in line with what I was thinking about paying for this. But now with this insurance shit (which just seems like a way for someone to up their commission) I dont trust them at all. I mean a fucking company that handles diamonds as their sole business has to have insurance already right?

Just curious if anyone has come across this and if there is any truth to the above.

This is why i buy nearly everything online these days. Brick and mortar stores have become so desperate that they try to fuck their customers whenever they get a chance.