Thread: Best credit card for gas rakeback

Platinum
    Load Metric

Best credit card for gas rakeback

In my line of work I am spending almost a $1000 a month on gas, plus my SO spends a ton as well. I need to find a credit card that gives points or money BACK to take advantage of these gas prices and how much I am spending every month.

I am open to anything as far as if I have to stick to one station if it is worth it, I have pretty much everything right around me.

Give me some options if you know of a good deal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have a Chase Business Card account it gets me 3% back all the time on gas purchases. I know their are better rewards out there through but many are only if you use that brand of gas station card at one of their locations so overall the card I have does the job for me giving me at least 1-4% back on whatever else.

If you have several locations around you of some gas stations and have no problem using their card then that is an option BUT if they are regularly priced higher then some other locations then it defeats the purpose of getting their card. My advice is to scout out prices from places close and when you got a sample size whether they are tag or lag on their pricing then you can make an informative decision.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I have a Chase Business Card account it gets me 3% back all the time on gas purchases. I know their are better rewards out there through but many are only if you use that brand of gas station card at one of their locations so overall the card I have does the job for me giving me at least 1-4% back on whatever else.

If you have several locations around you of some gas stations and have no problem using their card then that is an option BUT if they are regularly priced higher then some other locations then it defeats the purpose of getting their card. My advice is to scout out prices from places close and when you got a sample size whether they are tag or lag on their pricing then you can make an informative decision.
    Yeah I literally have 5 within a mile radius of my house all within 5 cents of each other all the time. I haven't really done any research it just dawned on me how much I was spending and knew there were cards out there that gave you points or cashback. I already have a regular Chase card (and their cashback is awesome on purchases, just claimed $500 worth) how can I(or can I) get a business one? I own my own company and all the gas goes in work trucks.

Load Metric
    BoA has a 'keep the change' program

i use to fill-up $10.01 every time i got gas for the ~10% rakeback

now ten bucks barely gets me out of the red so i usually get $15-$20 a time so my rakeback deal isn't quite as good anymore

for someone spending 1k/month, it is not worth your time to properly druff anywhere close to the optimal amount though

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

now ten bucks barely gets me out of the red so i usually get $15-$20 a time so my rakeback deal isn't quite as good anymore

for someone spending 1k/month, it is not worth your time to properly druff anywhere close to the optimal amount though
    Couldn't you just do several consecutive fills of $10.01 to fill your tank? I know it's a pain in the ass, but wouldn't this accompllish what you're trying to do?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh, and LOL @ jd from donkdown apparently birding this site and sending NaturalBornHustler a PM about buying gas cards.

Then someone on DD came out and said the guy is a scammer.

This dude is some old Golden Tee buddy of Micon's. Not surprising that he ended up being shady.

I also enjoyed about 2 years ago when he made some lame weight-related insult about my ex-girlfriend, not realizing that I knew he weighed about 400+ himself. He napped it out for several months from both the thread and the site when I pointed this out.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

Couldn't you just do several consecutive fills of $10.01 to fill your tank? I know it's a pain in the ass, but wouldn't this accompllish what you're trying to do?
    i think there is a monthly limit, i've never tried to take it to the limit like someone from the tribe would

i know when i log in to my online banking, it says i've accumulated over 1k w/ the program so i've done pretty good

if you don't believe me just ask sonatine, he's seen it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Yeah I literally have 5 within a mile radius of my house all within 5 cents of each other all the time. I haven't really done any research it just dawned on me how much I was spending and knew there were cards out there that gave you points or cashback. I already have a regular Chase card (and their cashback is awesome on purchases, just claimed $500 worth) how can I(or can I) get a business one? I own my own company and all the gas goes in work trucks.
    Not really sure you probably can find out by googling chase business cards since they have a few. I don't even own a business but have done several businesses online such as ebay drop shipping and stuff like that where I have credit that is near the best anyone can get. The chase card I got they grandfathered me into some older rewards plan they changed slightly but many of them are still good when it comes to rewards.

Load Metric
    TBH, (and this will fuel the Pikachar is a Redneck propaganda)

I use a Visa Cabela's card for like 80-90% of all my purchases (to include gas).

The Perks:
    1% Back on all purchases
    5% Back on all purchases in Cabela's
    Bonuses on online retailers (changes from day-to-day, or so it seems)

So rake back pays for all my fishing, duck hunting, and deer hunting needs every year. I don't think I've paid for fishing tackle for 5 years, and duck decoys/non-toxic ammo for 3 years. So yeah pretty epic run for me since I'm doing everything I like for free on the weekends I'm not grinding.

Load Metric

The best way I can see would be to get a CC like above that gets a percentage in cash back & combine it with a program directly from a retailer like ESSO Extra Rewards. You get to double up by getting the cash back & accumulate points that are worth something anyway. If you are spending that much on fuel & other things @ the gas station, I think these points would actually amount to quite a bit.

I'm from Canada & don't even know if they have the ESSO program where you live but I know here they run promotions throughout the year for double & triple points @ certain times & they really add up during these times. All of this is assuming any station running this kind of program is both fairly convenient, widely available, & competively priced in the first place.

Also, as I'm sure you are aware, these cashback cards usually have a higher interest rate so carrying a balance would obviously be a bad idea & defeat the purpose.

Good luck & let us know what you decide on. It may end up being educational for all.

As a sidenote, I know some people who own their own business & have CC that earn points for travel. They use this card to buy absolutely everything they ever need whether it's personal or for their restaurant. They then make sure the balance is paid off every month & voila, they close the restaurant for a few months during the winter & travel wherever they want using the points they accumulate. It's almost like putting money away for vacations in a way you won't spend it. Pretty sweet deal & is something I considered doing myself.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 04-14-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

The best way I can see would be to get a CC like above that gets a percentage in cash back & combine it with a program directly from a retailer like ESSO Extra Rewards. You get to double up by getting the cash back & accumulate points that are worth something anyway. If you are spending that much on fuel & other things @ the gas station, I think these points would actually amount to quite a bit.

I'm from Canada & don't even know if they have the ESSO program where you live but I know here they run promotions throughout the year for double & triple points @ certain times & they really add up during these times. All of this is assuming any station running this kind of program is both fairly convenient, widely available, & competively priced in the first place.

Also, as I'm sure you are aware, these cashback cards usually have a higher interest rate so carrying a balance would obviously be a bad idea & defeat the purpose.

Good luck & let us know what you decide on. It may end up being educational for all.

As a sidenote, I know some people who own their own business & have CC that earn points for travel. They use this card to buy absolutely everything they ever need whether it's personal or for their restaurant. They then make sure the balance is paid off every month & voila, they close the restaurant for a few months during the winter & travel wherever they want using the points they accumulate. It's almost like putting money away for vacations in a way you won't spend it. Pretty sweet deal & is something I considered doing myself.
    As far as the interest goes that really depends on his credit I have a solid rate on mine but I pay it off every month which most businesses really should do if possible that the interest rate is irrelevant to me.

The cards that earn nice rewards for travel are good too if you are doing that regularly but for me I rather just get the cash back.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

As far as the interest goes that really depends on his credit I have a solid rate on mine but I pay it off every month which most businesses really should do if possible that the interest rate is irrelevant to me.

The cards that earn nice rewards for travel are good too if you are doing that regularly but for me I rather just get the cash back.
    Obv I would be paying off the bill every month so interest rate is irrelevant.

And I have no idea what the fuck ESSO is, must be a Canada thing eh.

Thread Information