Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locksmith Bait and Switch - WWPFAD?

Banned
    Load Metric

Locksmith Bait and Switch - WWPFAD?

I probably have no recourse here, but tell me what you guys think.

I locked my keys in my car today. I had no tools available to attempt to unlock it myself. I was pretty far from the city, and Google Maps showed only one locksmith within reasonable distance. I called them up to request help, and asked how much it would cost. I was told $20 fee for driving someone out, and probably $30 to unlock the car unless it's a high security vehicle, which would cost more.

No problem, I figured. I drive a '07 Corolla. This has happened a few times before, and it's a simple matter of inserting an inflatable wedge into the door and releasing the lock with a flexible rod. Takes 30 seconds.

When the guy shows up, he tells me that my car is a medium-security vehicle, which carries a charge of $130. But because he's such a nice guy, he'll go ahead and waive the driving fee and sales tax. I immediately recognize that I'm being scammed, but I don't seem to have any choice. I'm 40 miles from home and stuck out in the cold.

As expected, he does the wedge/rod thing and unlocks it in 30 seconds. I grudgingly pay with a credit card and go on my way.

This may not be important, but I think the company might be a shell of a larger chain. The supposed name of the locksmith place was "[city] locksmith". The name of the road I was stuck on was "[city] road", yet the guy on the phone needed me to spell the name of the road for him.

Anyway, I briefly considered doing a chargeback, but I don't think I can really justify that since I voluntarily gave my card and signed a receipt. I could call the place back and raise hell, but I don't know what good that would do me. Am I just fucked here?

Comments

fluffer: *giggling*

Ryback_feed_me_more: Not having AAA fail rep

Load Metric
    If you signed you're probably screwed. Get AAA.

Load Metric
    http://www.bbb.org/blog/2011/08/lock...-five-minutes/

comment section has interesting info

Banned
    Load Metric
    http://consumerist.com/2008/10/30/i-...ocksmith-scam/

I start to think things might be weird when I get two calls from two different people to confirm the address, my name, etc. The “locksmith” shows up over an hour later, in an unmarked car, with no uniform. I show him my car and he decides that my 2005 ford focus is VERY hard to break into, and that the labor charge is gonna go up to $125, for a total of $177 after tax. About $19 does not = $125.
    My guy showed up in an unmarked minivan, and this is consistent with the supposedly local company not being familiar with the street I was on.

Looks like an alarmingly common scam. The woman quoted above decided to file a chargeback. I wonder if she was successful.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    If you signed you're probably screwed. Get AAA.
    AAA is the nuts.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes, charge it back. You may or may not be successful. I would refer to it as a scam during chargeback (not a bait and switch), and support it with website addresses that explain this scam (or printouts if it isn't too long).

In the future, never never never pay under these circumstances. Call his bluff and say you will only pay what you were quoted. If he refuses and leaves, you will be able to find plenty of other locksmiths to do it, even in a relatively remote area. If not a locksmith, many tow truck places also offer this service. More likely than not, he will realize he is fucked and back down, doing it for the agreed upon price. Otherwise he leaves empty handed.

Also make sure to write a terrible yelp review of this place, warning people. I would call them first and threaten to do this if they don't refund the difference, and then go through with it if they refuse. Even if they agree, write the review anyway once you actually get the money.

Load Metric
    Next time you have that situation, make sure to write on the invoice the amount you wanted to pay.

I would have wrote $50 or Maximum $50+tax on the receipt so it clearly shows how much you wanted to pay.

Either way I would at least attempt to get it back, mention that you were quoted $50 and ended up paying $130.

And at the very least if you're not going to go through with it let Alvin F call them up.

Load Metric
    I've probably did this, or had a friend or gf do this 5 or 6 times in my life back before the ability to remote open, and I always just called information and asked for a non-emergency local police number. You call, and just tell dispatcher," I'm stuck, and if you have a patrol car that has a minute, I would appreciate it." They've always came and did it within 15 minutes. I wouldn't do this in some major city, but it always worked everywhere else when it was just the slide in the window deal. One time one couldn't get it, and didn't want the liability of damaging vehicle, and I had to call locksmith, but worth a try if you don't have AAA.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I've probably did this, or had a friend or gf do this 5 or 6 times in my life back before the ability to remote open, and I always just called information and asked for a non-emergency local police number. You call, and just tell dispatcher," I'm stuck, and if you have a patrol car that has a minute, I would appreciate it." They've always came and did it within 15 minutes. I wouldn't do this in some major city, but it always worked everywhere else when it was just the slide in the window deal. One time one couldn't get it, and didn't want the liability of damaging vehicle, and I had to call locksmith, but worth a try if you don't have AAA.
    nowadays cops won't help unless there is a child trapped in the car, at least in my area

Comments

Ryback_feed_me_more: Most places a child locked in car gets 911 with a Fire Engine or other apparatus

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    nowadays cops won't help unless there is a child trapped in the car, at least in my area

Figures, it's been awhile. I'd still try it. It's the south, I'd hope to get some genteel local sheriff.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I'm 40 miles from home and stuck out in the cold.
    I stopped reading because I was rolling aroung the control room floor laughing & hit my head. After I recovered I checked the outside thermometer &, sure enough, it still read -25C.

Cold????? Go fuck yourself Thomas.

Comments

SrslySirius: no u

simpdog: he doesn't know what cold is

nunbeater: NO U FAGGOT ASS THOMAS

Ryback_feed_me_more: Anybody from the South thinks 40 is cold. True Cold Rep for HG (Worn shorts and Tshirt in 40s before haha)
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

*giggling*
    Load Metric

Anyway, I briefly considered doing a chargeback, but I don't think I can really justify that since I voluntarily gave my card and signed a receipt. I could call the place back and raise hell, but I don't know what good that would do me. Am I just fucked here?
    just warn them about what you did to a certain ''snake in the grass''#noonefuckswithmeok

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I stopped reading because I was rolling aroung the control room floor laughing & hit my head. After I recovered I checked the outside thermometer &, sure enough, it still read -25C.

Is it that fucking cold where you live? Where in Canada do you live again?

Comments

Ryback_feed_me_more: hes up near NWT I think rep. Balmy Day in Yellowknife is 50s-60s in Summer

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

This came up again recently with some obnoxious guys from New York that I know. I'm not sure why they find it so shocking that people acclimated to temperate climates, such as those in the southern United States, find freezing temperatures uncomfortable.

That's cool that you guys are used to colder weather, and we're all super impressed that you're wearing shorts and t-shirts in the sleet. Really, we are. But there really isn't any need to constantly be a snob about it. Nobody gives a shit. I'm still going to wear my sweater (like everyone else here) and accurately observe that it's literally fucking freezing out there, which I don't find as pleasant as you apparently do.

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: Thomas=God SFO tell em how it is kid

Hockey Guy: Calm down nerd. My comment was for comedic purposes.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I reversed the charge on that scumbag locksmith, btw.

Comments

nunbeater: now you're gonna fuck with a man's livelihood? You fucking faggot

Load Metric
    they did do a bait and switch on you, so they deserve to get screwed but fyi
    locksmiths were charging $125-150 for a road call 20 years ago and

--------------------------------- THOMAS ---------- HOCKEY GUY -------

Comments

Hockey Guy: Fuck that. I'd have 2 beer in front of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Is it that fucking cold where you live? Where in Canada do you live again?
    We had a few nights where it got down to -27C already but when I wrote that it was only -10C & is now 0C today.

I guess that makes me a dirty, stinking, motherfucking, liar & I apologize to Thomas for hurting his feelings with my deception.

I live in northern Alberta BTW.

Comments

simpdog: SS is too sensitive these days

BetCheckBet: legit horrible winter rep
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Next time try not to look like such a fucking rube that people see you and snap-decide that you are the type of sucker that would pay an extra hundred dollars. That's what the fuck PFAWD

niggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good.

Can you explain what was involved? Did you have to send any evidence/statements to the credit card company? Each bank is different with this.

Thread Information