Thread: NYC restaurant recommendations

Load Metric

NYC restaurant recommendations

Not looking for 5 star joints but unique places that are just good.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Not looking for 5 star joints but unique places that are just good.
    I recommend Virgil's BBQ. Pretty legit and not too pricy. There is also an awesome Swedish restaurant with the best Swedish meatballs that I have had in my life. Let me verify the name of the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Try McDonald's you faggot.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    Try McDonald's you faggot.
    You're so 2000 and late.

Load Metric
    THere's a bar in Manhattan that is absolutely amazing, Called McSorrley's. They sit you at a round table. They ask you dark or light ( they only serve two kinds of beers). Then they bring you two of them. They are the cheapest beer basically you can get in manhattan. Then they come around, and bring you two more. If you don't want to drink them, they kick you out too make room for someone else. You sit at these round tables with other people, and socialize with complete strangers. It's amazing, when I was in NYC I met some hilarious characters there. Everyone is boisterous and drunk and loud. If that's your kind of scene, it's a great time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDMcCobb View Post
    THere's a bar in Manhattan that is absolutely amazing, Called McSorrley's. They sit you at a round table. They ask you dark or light ( they only serve two kinds of beers). Then they bring you two of them. They are the cheapest beer basically you can get in manhattan. Then they come around, and bring you two more. If you don't want to drink them, they kick you out too make room for someone else. You sit at these round tables with other people, and socialize with complete strangers. It's amazing, when I was in NYC I met some hilarious characters there. Everyone is boisterous and drunk and loud. If that's your kind of scene, it's a great time.
    Sounds interesting but I hate people. I tend to hate strangers less than people I know but I still hate them.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Shopsin's is an obvious choice. Know the rules before you go!

Shopsins is not without its rules. What happens if you break one of the rules? You’re told to get the fuck out, that’s what. If Shopsin feels gracious, he might tell you instead that the restaurant is closed. (Even if it’s noon and there are people eating, if he says it’s closed, then it’s closed.)

Here are a few of the rules:

No cell phone use
    One meal per person minimum (everyone’s got to eat)
    No smoking
    Limit four people per group

I love number one. Public cell phone use has gotten totally out of hand, is obnoxious (is it obnoxious of me to point that out, I wonder?), and I wish people would stop. It’s just bad manners. If anyone wanted to hear you talk, they’d speak to you. Plus, food is meant to be enjoyed. You can’t very well do that when you’re distracted by a phone call that, in all likelihood, can be postponed until after you’ve eaten your meal. The most detailed and enforced rule is the last. The menu goes into great detail about the “Party of Five”:

“Party of Five: You could put a chair at the end or push the tables together, but don’t bother. This banged-up little restaurant where you would expect no rules at all has a firm policy against seating parties of five. And you know you are a party of five. It doesn’t matter if one of you offers to leave or if you say you could split into a party of three and a party of two or if the five of you come back tomorrow in Richard Nixon masks and try to pretend that you don’t know each other. It won’t work: You’re a party of five, even if you’re a beloved regular.”

See? No nonsense. And if you try to get around the rule, Shopsin and his staff will remember you and may not let you back in even if you come in the next day as a party of one. Other rules include no substitutions, no ordering vegan, and no arguing with the staff: the customer is not always right.

A former rule that is not enforced so much anymore was that you couldn’t order what your neighbor was eating. None of this, “Oh, I’ll have what he’s having.” No. You have a mind and a 900-item menu in front of you. Pick something else.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    Shopsin's is an obvious choice. Know the rules before you go!

Shopsins is not without its rules. What happens if you break one of the rules? You’re told to get the fuck out, that’s what. If Shopsin feels gracious, he might tell you instead that the restaurant is closed. (Even if it’s noon and there are people eating, if he says it’s closed, then it’s closed.)

Here are a few of the rules:

No cell phone use
    One meal per person minimum (everyone’s got to eat)
    No smoking
    Limit four people per group

I love number one. Public cell phone use has gotten totally out of hand, is obnoxious (is it obnoxious of me to point that out, I wonder?), and I wish people would stop. It’s just bad manners. If anyone wanted to hear you talk, they’d speak to you. Plus, food is meant to be enjoyed. You can’t very well do that when you’re distracted by a phone call that, in all likelihood, can be postponed until after you’ve eaten your meal. The most detailed and enforced rule is the last. The menu goes into great detail about the “Party of Five”:

“Party of Five: You could put a chair at the end or push the tables together, but don’t bother. This banged-up little restaurant where you would expect no rules at all has a firm policy against seating parties of five. And you know you are a party of five. It doesn’t matter if one of you offers to leave or if you say you could split into a party of three and a party of two or if the five of you come back tomorrow in Richard Nixon masks and try to pretend that you don’t know each other. It won’t work: You’re a party of five, even if you’re a beloved regular.”

See? No nonsense. And if you try to get around the rule, Shopsin and his staff will remember you and may not let you back in even if you come in the next day as a party of one. Other rules include no substitutions, no ordering vegan, and no arguing with the staff: the customer is not always right.

A former rule that is not enforced so much anymore was that you couldn’t order what your neighbor was eating. None of this, “Oh, I’ll have what he’s having.” No. You have a mind and a 900-item menu in front of you. Pick something else.
    This place sounds perfect.

Load Metric
    No smoking lol. Really? Hard to imagine.

Load Metric
    I intend to sup at Les Halles in the near future. Its where Anthony Bourdaine got his start. Ive seen some interesting pieces about it and I like where the owners head is at.

There are certainly better restaurants and a lot of people kinda shit on Les Halles because.. well.. its where Anthony Bourdaine got started.. but above and beyond that it looks like a place I want to get good meal at.

Load Metric
    Unique, like exceptional food, serive and atmosphere, budget-be-damned? Per Se, Masa, Daniel, Le Bernardin

Unique, like funky asian out-of-this-world? Any of the Momofuku restaurants.

Unique, like Old-Style New York? McSorley's Ale house (corned beef and lots o beer), the Oyster Bar at Grand Central, or Peter Luger's Steak (Williamsburg Brooklyn, right across the bridge)

Unique, like an interesting lunch spot? Anything in the Chelsea Market (the entire block between 15th and 16th streets, between 9th and 10th Avenues), Little Owl (Greenwich Village)

Unique, like a cool view? River Cafe (watertaxi to brooklyn), Rock Center Grill (better in winter when ice skating rink is open)

Gimmie a better idea of what you mean by unique... and I'll try to come up with something that fits.

Load Metric
    Unique Sandwich experiences? Katz's deli on Houston St., 'wichcraft (Tom Colicchio's joints)

... or of course, you can try to find a Subway that will give you tomatoes ON THE SIDE.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    I intend to sup at Les Halles in the near future. Its where Anthony Bourdaine got his start. Ive seen some interesting pieces about it and I like where the owners head is at.

There are certainly better restaurants and a lot of people kinda shit on Les Halles because.. well.. its where Anthony Bourdaine got started.. but above and beyond that it looks like a place I want to get good meal at.

had one of the best dinners i ever had there, couple years ago. im going to nyc next week and im going back.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    Unique Sandwich experiences? Katz's deli on Houston St., 'wichcraft (Tom Colicchio's joints)

... or of course, you can try to find a Subway that will give you tomatoes ON THE SIDE.
    katz overpriced and overrated

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by drufdajewgod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post

katz overpriced and overrated
    i went to balthazar and les halles, but les halles was better

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Well... if I could put you in a time machine I'd suggest the Windows of the World breakfast buffet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Well... if I could put you in a time machine I'd suggest the Windows of the World breakfast buffet.

You're so 2000 and late.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post

Thread Information