Thread: I guess there are still honest/stupid people in this world

Load Metric

I guess there are still honest/stupid people in this world

A rabbi returns $98K he found in a $150 desk he bought on Craigslist.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/98-00...224406514.html

Wish i knew how to start a poll to see how many here would return it.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    How does one forget to take out $98k in a desk they are selling for $150?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Maybe it was a massive L-shaped desk with lots of drawers. It's easy to lose stuff in those things.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I think ultimately it depends on who you got the desk from, but at the end of the day I'd return the money.

I'm not certain that would have been the case 15 years ago, especially if I felt the money might not be missed, but I'd like to think I would have done the right thing.

Now after watching the actual video, I'd snap return and not give it a 2nd thought. Easy decision because it's the right decision.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    It said in the video that when the money couldn't be found in the desk she assumed she misplaced it somewhere else in the house. Seriously, that's what was said.

This kinda reminds me of a story of my own.

My wife lost her wedding ring when she took it off & placed it in the car like she always did when we played ball. We looked everywhere in the car for the ring stopping just short of tearing it apart. We came to the conclusion that she must have somehow dropped it outside the car & even went back to where we parked & looked all over for it to no avail. A few years later I bought her an exact replacement for christmas & I totally forgot about it.

In 2007 & 17 years after losing the ring, my car, that I only used to drive back & forth to the airport, finally konked out & was stranded at the airport parking lot. I got home but we went back to the city a few days later to empty it & get it out of the parking lot that belonged to my employer. We decided to donate it to the kidney foundation who tow the car & give you a $500(?) tax receipt as a donation & they strip it down for parts. As we're waiting for the tow truck out of the blue my wife said we should tear the car apart & look for this ring & I laughed & said okay. I had a bunch of tools in the car & was basically the reason I went to the city & proceeded to take the middle counsel apart & WTF, I found the ring in an unaccessible area way under the carpet between the seats.

Moral of the story, if you think something might be there always look for it BEFORE you get rid of it especially if it's worth $98K. That ring was only worth about $700 & I had replaced it but my wife told me she never forgot about it & knew it was in that car & thought about tearing that car apart & finding it on a daily basis.

Comments

big dick: cool story dude
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

It said in the video that when the money couldn't be found in the desk she assumed she misplaced it somewhere else in the house. Seriously, that's what was said.

My wife lost her wedding ring when she took it off & placed it in the car like she always did when we played ball. We looked everywhere in the car for the ring stopping just short of tearing it apart. We came to the conclusion that she must have somehow dropped it outside the car & even went back to where we parked & looked all over for it to no avail. A few years later I bought her an exact replacement for christmas & I totally forgot about it.

In 2007 & 17 years after losing the ring, my car, that I only used to drive back & forth to the airport, finally konked out & was stranded at the airport parking lot. I got home but we went back to the city a few days later to empty it & get it out of the parking lot that belonged to my employer. We decided to donate it to the kidney foundation who tow the car & give you a $500(?) tax receipt as a donation & they strip it down for parts. As we're waiting for the tow truck out of the blue my wife said we should tear the car apart & look for this ring & I laughed & said okay. I had a bunch of tools in the car & was basically the reason I went to the city & proceeded to take the middle counsel apart & WTF, I found the ring in an unaccessible area way under the carpet between the seats.
    I watched the video now but still to forget where you misplaced your live savings $98k is really hard to compare with taking a ring off and losing it because it's so small though it sucks your wife lost hers btw but then you had a good story at the end.

When you physically have to put a bag of $98k cash into a desk unless your some super rich person or drug dealer type who is hiding cash everywhere in their home to avoid paying taxes it just seems like something you wouldn't forget where you put it at.
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 11-11-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: fixing a bad typo

Banned
    Load Metric
    like they teach you in one L...

caveat emptor pal.

Load Metric
    How good did that lady run where her desk with $98k gets sold to a rabbi of all people?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokehead View Post
    How good did that lady run where her desk with $98k gets sold to a rabbi of all people?
    Not many people would give it back and she didn't even realize her money was gone until he calls her saying he found the money.

From seeing the video I'd probably give it back and for a rabbi it's definitely the thing to do but otherwise it's a tough spot.

Part of me wants to compare this to a heads up sit n go where the other guy is sitting out and it becomes a question of whether to take their chips or not? In this example for me it's take their chips because if you were the one sitting out whether it's computer issues, internet, or whatever else your opponent would do that to you almost always so if roles are reversed how many people are giving back $98k to you that you completely forgot to remove from a desk for whatever reason it might be prior to selling it?

Load Metric

Moral of the story, if you think something might be there always look for it BEFORE you get rid of it especially if it's worth $98K. That ring was only worth about $700 & I had replaced it but my wife told me she never forgot about it & knew it was in that car & thought about tearing that car apart & finding it on a daily basis.
    ...my car, that I only used to drive back & forth to the airport

Hockey Guy keeping a Mike Erhmantraut style "go bag" in the trunk at the airport.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  12.2 KB

Comments

Hockey Guy: It was a 1987 Ford POS. I needed tools just in case.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-12-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Load Metric

I watched the video now but still to forget where you misplaced your live savings $98k is really hard to compare with taking a ring off and losing it because it's so small though it sucks your wife lost hers btw but then you had a good story at the end.

When you physically have to put a bag of $98k cash into a desk unless your some super rich person or drug dealer type who is hiding cash everywhere in their home to avoid paying taxes it just seems like something you wouldn't forget where you put it at.

If you know one of those filing type desks, it is a spot only people really familiar with the desks are. It is a really weird spot that basically goes behind a really cheap and thin wall type partition is inside those drawers. I can see how some innocent lady could do that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Weiss would have donated the 98k to Haiti

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

There is no way I would have returned it, and I would not have donated it. I would've put a down payment on a house in my new town I am living in.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

There is no way I would have returned it, and I would not have donated it. I would've put a down payment on a house in my new town I am living in.

Great line gaucho.

If this was 5 years ago, I would have rented out 3 houses and probably grown hundreds of pounds of weed and still lived in Michigan. Sometimes a lot of money is bad for you

Thread Information