Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to surreptitiously record a conversation between 2 people outside talking?

Platinum
    Load Metric

Is it legal to surreptitiously record a conversation between 2 people outside talking?

I have a huge neighbor problem. He hates my dog (for the sole reason he is a pit, nothing else), and has now vowed to make my life as "miserable as possible" by calling the county for random stupid "code violations" on my house and the outside. He has stolen things out of my yard, and done just about everything possible to be a huge pain in the ass since the day I set foot on the property.

After 9 months of biting my tongue, I told him how much of a pussy he was right in front of his wife today, and we had a nice little exchange where I basically called out his manhood, told him he was a little bitch etc etc. (the look on his face when I asked him if he had been a pussy his whole life, or just since I moved in right with the wife next to him = PRICELESS) I thought he was going to lose it LOL.

Anyway I want to get him on tape with incriminating shit, because as much as I would like to beat the life out of him I can't if I want to continue living here. I have no doubt if it ever comes to it he will lie about anything just to force me to move, which isn't happening. I want to have evidence on this motherfucker.

Now I know you need 2 party consent for PHONE conversations, but what if I was say holding my cell in my hand and it was recording audio but no video as I was talking to him one day without him knowing?

I don't want to break the law in any way, because like the little cunt he is he will run right to the police and have me arrested.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: surreptitiously

fluffer: using a thesaurus rep

Load Metric
    Funny how all your nieghbors/coworkers seem to dislike you/get in fights with you/steal your stuff

I'm sure it's all 100% on their end though.

Comments

big dick: not listening to bullshit rep
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Funny how all your nieghbors/coworkers seem to dislike you/get in fights with you/steal your stuff

I'm 100% sure you are a bigger pussy than he is, and that everyone here hates you.

Off yourself and give your parents an early Christmas present fag.

Now back to the topic at hand.....

Comments

Rollo Tomasi: :this

Ryback_feed_me_more: Bad ass rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Now I know you need 2 party consent for PHONE conversations, but what if I was say holding my cell in my hand and it was recording audio but no video as I was talking to him one day without him knowing?
    Sounds about right. I mean how did you know your phone was taping.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post

Sounds about right. I mean how did you know your phone was taping.
    Exactly, but if I have to use in in a court of law will I be able to is the real question.

Everything I do has to be above board.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Generally, you are allowed to record conversations taking place in public. If you can have this conversation out on the street where it is public property, then you are probably safe recording him and using it in court.

Many states do reqiure all parties' consent when recording in private, such as inside someone's home.

The general reasoning behind these laws involves the belief that one can expect privacy in their home, but cannot expect the same privacy if out in public.

Here is a good resource to figure out the laws in your state: http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-record...te-state-guide

Gold
    Load Metric
    I have a huge neighbor problem. He hates my dog (for the sole reason he is a pit, nothing else), and has now vowed to make my life as "miserable as possible" by calling the county for random stupid "code violations" on my house and the outside. He has stolen things out of my yard, and done just about everything possible to be a huge pain in the ass since the day I set foot on the property.

After 9 months of biting my tongue, I told him how much of a pussy he was right in front of his wife today, and we had a nice little exchange where I basically called out his manhood, told him he was a little bitch etc etc. (the look on his face when I asked him if he had been a pussy his whole life, or just since I moved in right with the wife next to him = PRICELESS) I thought he was going to lose it LOL.

Anyway I want to get him on tape with incriminating shit, because as much as I would like to beat the life out of him I can't if I want to continue living here. I have no doubt if it ever comes to it he will lie about anything just to force me to move, which isn't happening. I want to have evidence on this motherfucker.

I don't want to break the law in any way, because like the little cunt he is he will run right to the police and have me arrested.
    I was debating posting about my customer service experience with direct tv for the past week but i won't and take solace in the fact that you are having issues with your neighbor, which is a million times more aggravating.

Iirc you have a few people on your list of "people who need a beating". What gives ?
    Last edited by unchainedghost; 11-07-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I didn't need to quote that

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Generally, you are allowed to record conversations taking place in public. If you can have this conversation out on the street where it is public property, then you are probably safe recording him and using it in court.

Many states do reqiure all parties' consent when recording in private, such as inside someone's home.

The general reasoning behind these laws involves the belief that one can expect privacy in their home, but cannot expect the same privacy if out in public.

Here is a good resource to figure out the laws in your state: http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-record...te-state-guide
    What if he is on his property, and I am on mine and we are talking to each other?

Is that considered in public?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post

I'm 100% sure you are a bigger pussy than he is, and that everyone here hates you.

Off yourself and give your parents an early Christmas present fag.

Now back to the topic at hand.....

Yeah let's get back to taping your neighbors conversations and being a e-hardass

tie yourself to an L-shaped office desk and jump off a bridge, meathead

Comments

Ryback_feed_me_more: continuing to troll unecessarily in attempt to make yourself the focal point of the thread rep
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

What if he is on his property, and I am on mine and we are talking to each other?

If you're both outdoors, it's probably fine.

The "private conversations" category generally applies to being somewhere that nobody from the public would be able to listen in, such as inside of a house.

There is no way you would be charged or prosecuted for doing this, btw. It's only a matter of whether it would be admissible in court.

If you were in court and said you recorded this "while talking to him outside", I bet the judge would allow it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookygook View Post

I was debating posting about my customer service experience with direct tv for the past week but i won't and take solace in the fact that you are having issues with your neighbor, which is a million times more aggravating.

Iirc you have a few people on your list of "people who need a beating". What gives ?
    Only 2 people on the list right now, the guy who stole my phone and the neighbor. Pretty short IMO.

This guy is a grade A faggot, the second he saw my dog he flipped out on me and the lady I bought the house from who was showing me around.

Some good might come out of this though, as I am telling the lady I am buying from I am backing out of the deal if she doesn't pay for a tall privacyfence to be put up. I am scared what I might do if I have to look at this asshole everyday, our driveways are literally side by side (4 feet separating) and the situation is unavoidable at this point.

I promised my mother I wouldn't hurt him, she is in the hospital dealing with a bunch of shit and I can't be getting locked up anymore. But if it comes down to me having to move and uproot everything, I will pay someone to do it. But over my dead body will that prick get me to leave.

Comments

4Dragons: good fences = good neighbors. Get him to pay for half.

Ryback_feed_me_more: Maryland is full of douchebags rep.

JUSTIFIEDhomicide: keep calling people fags. it's still 1990

Platinum
    Load Metric

If you're both outdoors, it's probably fine.

The "private conversations" category generally applies to being somewhere that nobody from the public would be able to listen in, such as inside of a house.

There is no way you would be charged or prosecuted for doing this, btw. It's only a matter of whether it would be admissible in court.

If you were in court and said you recorded this "while talking to him outside", I bet the judge would allow it.
    Awesome, thanks Druff.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    This guy is a grade A faggot, the second he saw my dog he flipped out on me and the lady I bought the house from who was showing me around.
    Did this happen during the initial walkthrough or after you were in contract?

Load Metric
    Seems like a big waste of time unless you are pretty sure that he's into some dirt. If he's a pussy, it's doubtful that he is into anything illegal.

You could try fucking his wife, perhaps part of her was turned on when you emasculated him. Abandon every possible neighborly courtesy, etc.

Seems like you need to live up to your namesake; a 'natural born hustler' would be crafty enough to fix this, promises to your mother or not.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    Did this happen during the initial walkthrough or after you were in contract?
    First day I saw the place I didn't have the dog with me IIRC (other people were living there at the time). Day I moved in the dog was milling around as was the lady, not bothering a soul. Dude saw the dog and it was like a switch flipped. The lady and I walked in the house and both looked at each other and said..what was that all about?? This guy had been nothing but nice to people that lived there before(and was nice to me when I saw him in passing the first time), no problems or anything.

We have a lease with option to buy I can exercise at anytime after 12 months, fixed sale price agreed upon already, I moved in Jan 1 of this year. I was planning on doing that on Jan 1 2014, but unless this situation is resolved that isn't happening. I literally haven't said one word to the guy in the past 10 months outside of yesterday, despite him doing everything he could to bitch and complain about things like the newspaper being at the end of my driveway that I didn't pick up. I kept my mouth shut and just ignored him, but just couldn't do it anymore.

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Which state is this inevitable shooting or at least a stabbing pointless feud escalating in? If you lemme know I can answer your question.

Also, on a serious note, be careful and keep an eye on your dog. Passive aggressive dog haters like your neighbor are notorious dog poisoners. Seen this shit happen before, especially after the dog hater gets emasculated by the dog owner. I'm gonna go ahead and jump ahead and assume if your neighbor poisons your dog you're gonna shoot or stab your neighbor. Best thing might be to try to find a way to bring the hostilities down a notch.

Btw does the neighbor have young kids and/or is the neighbor a cat owner?

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Good to see you're sticking around for more than just a cameo

vegas1369: Was gonna say the same... Pet poisoning is more common than most people realize. Beware of the pet poisoners.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Speaking of Pit Bulls there is a kid who lives about 5 doors up who has a pit bull. I have 2 maltese and I walk by there every day and he is working. He leaves the dog in front of his front window all day which is literally hugging the walk way and every time I walk by the pitbull barks like crazy and tries to jump through the window scratching clawing and banging.

Should he not leave the blinds closed? I think he feels he is being nice letting it look out the window but it is having the opposite effect as I see it going crazy and hear it barking all day.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    First day I saw the place I didn't have the dog with me IIRC (other people were living there at the time). Day I moved in the dog was milling around as was the lady, not bothering a soul. Dude saw the dog and it was like a switch flipped. The lady and I walked in the house and both looked at each other and said..what was that all about?? This guy had been nothing but nice to people that lived there before(and was nice to me when I saw him in passing the first time), no problems or anything.

We have a lease with option to buy I can exercise at anytime after 12 months, fixed sale price agreed upon already, I moved in Jan 1 of this year. I was planning on doing that on Jan 1 2014, but unless this situation is resolved that isn't happening. I literally haven't said one word to the guy in the past 10 months outside of yesterday, despite him doing everything he could to bitch and complain about things like the newspaper being at the end of my driveway that I didn't pick up. I kept my mouth shut and just ignored him, but just couldn't do it anymore.
    Tough to find this kind of lease-option deal on house that works for you.

There has to be more to this than just a guy losing the plot because you have a pit. Does the dog bark, act aggressively in any way, kept indoors, fenced backyard, unleashed in the driveway?? Why do you think it's simply the breed, has he told you? Does he have young children, anyone in his family been attacked by a dog? Etc and so on.

It's weird that a guy with a seemingly good track record goes sideways like this for no good reason, but I've had crazy neighbors before and nothing would surprise me.

If the guy owns and doesn't rent then it's probably best to find another place. Doesn't seem like there is any chance of finding common ground, especially since you punked him in front of his wife. More details on that exchange would be appreciated, what specifically prompted the outburst?

Great fences make great neighbors, but with your driveways right next to each other that's not going to work.

Forget trying to get him on tape, escalating the situation with a crazy guy who lives next door to you can only end badly. Put the dude in the rear view IMO.

Gold
    Load Metric
    ^^^

As a dog lover , I fucking hate pit bulls

I don't care if the owner says their dog is harmless, or what the fucking story is.

9/10 times the dog and owners suck. Same with Weimaraners and their owners. It's not just pitbulls.

I wouldn't want to live next to one, but that doesn't matter , your neighbor sounds like a huge pussy.

If you purchase the house buy a pit bull treadmill for your critter, put it in your front yard facing your neighbors house / driveway and let your dog start its crossfit training regiment.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Tough to find this kind of lease-option deal on house that works for you.

There has to be more to this than just a guy losing the plot because you have a pit. Does the dog bark, act aggressively in any way, kept indoors, fenced backyard, unleashed in the driveway?? Why do you think it's simply the breed, has he told you? Does he have young children, anyone in his family been attacked by a dog? Etc and so on.

It's weird that a guy with a seemingly good track record goes sideways like this for no good reason, but I've had crazy neighbors before and nothing would surprise me.

If the guy owns and doesn't rent then it's probably best to find another place. Doesn't seem like there is any chance of finding common ground, especially since you punked him in front of his wife. More details on that exchange would be appreciated, what specifically prompted the outburst?

Great fences make great neighbors, but with your driveways right next to each other that's not going to work.

Forget trying to get him on tape, escalating the situation with a crazy guy who lives next door to you can only end badly. Put the dude in the rear view IMO.
    What does "the dog was milling around" mean? If it means your dog wasn't restrained somehow than this is most likely the problem. I'd have an issue with this myself although I'd make it crystal clear to you what the issue was the first day.

Like tonyb has alluded to, I don't think you've told the whole story.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information