Thread: *Official WD-40 Appreciation Thread*

Load Metric

***Official WD-40 Appreciation Thread***

Obviously not as important as many other "Official" threads so I'll only give it 1 asterisks. I have changed this.

What is the main ingredient of WD-40 ?
    Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40 is?

WD-40 . Who knew; I had a neighbor who bought a new pickup . I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason) . I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news . He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do . . . . probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open . Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off . It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck . I'm impressed!

WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40' . The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts . WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company . Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound . . They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40 . The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts .

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you . . . When you read the 'shower door' part, try it . It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door . If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass . It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top . . . Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been . You'll be amazed .

WD-40 uses:
    1 .. Protects silver from tarnishing .
    2 . Removes road tar and grime from cars .
    3 . Cleans and lubricates guitar strings .
    4 . Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery ...
    5 .. . Keeps flies off cows .
    6 . Restores and cleans chalkboards .
    7 .. Removes lipstick stains .
    8 . . Loosens stubborn zippers ..
    9 .. Untangles jewelry chains .
    10 . Removes stains from stainless steel sinks .
    11 . Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill .
    12 . Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing ..
    13 . Removes tomato stains from clothing .
    14 ... Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots .
    15 . Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors .
    16 . Keeps scissors working smoothly . .
    17 .. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes .
    18 . It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring . It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off .. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks .
    19 . Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    20 . Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide .
    21 . Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers . . ..
    22 . . Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises ..
    23 . Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open . .
    24 . Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close ..
    25 .. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers .
    26 . Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles ..
    27 . Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
    28 .. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling .
    29 . Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly .
    30 . Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools .
    31 .. Removes splattered grease on stove .
    32 . Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging .
    33 . Lubricates prosthetic limbs ..
    34 . Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell) .
    35 . Removes all traces of duct tape .
    36 . Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain ..
    37 . Florida ’s favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers . '
    38 . The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements .
    39 . WD-40 attracts fish . Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time . Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose . Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states .
    40 . Use it for fire ant bites . . It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch .
    41 . WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls . Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag .
    42 . Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, satur ate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash . Presto! The lipstick is gone!
    43 . If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start

BTW.. The basic ingredient of WD-40 is FISH OIL ....

If it can't be fixed with a combination of WD-40 or duct tape, call in a professional. Just kidding...but just barely.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 04-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    [B]WD-40 uses:
    From "anywhere" if you know what i mean? That doesnt seem safe!
    It just seems like this should have come before the lipstick stain suggestion?
    All by itself? If i have a tangled jewelry chain in a pile on my desk, I can just spray the pile and it miraculously is no longer tangled?
    Not exactly sure why, but I LOL'ed at this one
    If it can't be fixed with a combination of WD-40 & duct tape, call in a professional. Just kidding...but just barely.
    If you fix something with Duct tape and WD-40 wouldnt the Duct tape just disappear?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    [B]WD-40 uses:
    From "anywhere" if you know what i mean? That doesnt seem safe!
    It just seems like this should have come before the lipstick stain suggestion?
    All by itself? If i have a tangled jewelry chain in a pile on my desk, I can just spray the pile and it miraculously is no longer tangled?
    Not exactly sure why, but I LOL'ed at this one
    If it can't be fixed with a combination of WD-40 & duct tape, call in a professional. Just kidding...but just barely.
    If you fix something with Duct tape and WD-40 wouldnt the Duct tape just disappear?
    I also laughed at some of these & was why I posted it.

You are correct I have changed the above bolded portion to or for clarification.

As an aside, I bolded the portion about it's claim that it attract fish for a reason.

Years ago when I did a lot of fishing with some close friends & we would mess with each other because we obviously would drink a lot & place wagers on a lot of things including first fish, most fish, biggest fish, & of course next fish. If someone wasn't paying close enough attention or was actually passed out, someone(usually me)would sabotage their efforts by dipping their lure in gasoline or some other underhanded trick. This would guarantee they would never get a bite for the rest of the day. I also used WD-40 for this purpose(WD-40 is a staple for any fishing boat)thinking it did the same thing as gasoline. It wasn't until today when I came across this that I realized I was actually helping them. Who knew.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 04-13-2012 at 07:29 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Name:  flowchart-500x372.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  23.0 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    Name:  flowchart-500x372.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  23.0 KB
    Thanks hut. I was looking for this exact picture to put in the OP but couldn't find it.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've never knew WD-40 was such an outstanding product. Well thought out post, and very informative. Definitely deserves the "Official" title.

Thank you.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    I've never knew WD-40 was such an outstanding product. Well thought out post, and very informative. Definitely deserves the "Official" title.

Thank you.
    Just to clear up any misconception: I didn't write this but C&P'ed it from an email I received from someone. I'm sure he didn't write it either & can probably be found somewhere on the internet.

I just thought there were some interesting uses for WD-40 that I'd never heard of before & the fact that it's made from fish oil. Apparently this is a myth.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 04-14-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Been awhile since I've used WD-40.
    I do like WD-50 though!
    http://www.wd-50.com/
    (also includes fish oil, most probably)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    Been awhile since I've used WD-40.
    I do like WD-50 though!
    http://www.wd-50.com/
    (also includes fish oil, most probably)
    That place looks so god to me. Every time I see Wylie on some celebrity chef thing, the space shit he makes is amazing.

Load Metric
    back on topic, I use wd40 to clean all my tools, It's really magical.

Load Metric
    True story...

When we did our road trip to Florida for the WSOPc we rented a vehicle... on the way home at about 1am in North Carolina a work truck in front of us lost a paint can and it bounced off the road and then directly onto our windshield, white paint covered the front of the silver vehicle and a huge part of the windshield. We got off the next exit which was like 10 minutes away and pulled into one of those coin car washes at the truck stop area... we scrubbed for 20 minutes and nothing came off, we were pretty much convinced it was gonna cost us a shitload of money.

We went into the store attached to the truck stop to look for goof off or something and some trucker was like "wd 40 fixes everything) we bought two cans, sprayed it on the paint and it just wiped right off... the car was spotless again in 30 minutes

wd40 is tits

Load Metric
    43 . If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start

Anyone have more details on this?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Benjamin's door was making all kinds of noise and waking him to whenever I tried to leave the room.

WD-40 took care of that and now I can sneak out like a secret agent man.

Thanks WD-40!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    wd40 is tits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Thanks WD-40!
    With these 2 ringing endorsments for their love of WD-40 from 2 respected posters I've taken the liberty of changing it to a "3* Official" thread.

I can now only hope that the official judge of all that is official, SrslySirius will agree with this change & validate this thread & make it Official.

OOPs I see I cannot just change it myself. I'm not sure if I need SrslySirius's blessing first or if I have to ask Druff to change it.

These Official thread sure are serious business. I'll have to refrain from starting them in the future since I'm actually pretty lazy & this is a lot more work than I'm used to.
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 04-13-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Ask for an upgrade to "3* Official" status
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Thanks WD-40!
    With these 2 ringing endorsments for their love of WD-40 from 2 respected posters I've taken the liberty of changing it to a "3* Official" thread.
    Funny... While the thread title above is changed, the title on the list of threads page, as well as the title on the "menu" above, is still the old single-star version. I wonder if this is enough to make it official. I fear it might not be.

Load Metric

Funny... While the thread title above is changed, the title on the list of threads page, as well as the title on the "menu" above, is still the old single-star version. I wonder if this is enough to make it official. I fear it might not be.
    No it's official alright-officially awesome! Wd-40 saved my ass when I rebuilt my engine as most of my head bolts were rusted tight, years and years of pressure practically melted them together- AND THEY STOOD NO MATCH FOR WD-40 (and a nights worth of sitting). Just spray the magical goodness on the threads and walk away, like magic the next morning the bolts and nuts worked themselves off with little effort.

Love me some Wd-40

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

No it's official alright-officially awesome! Wd-40 saved my ass when I rebuilt my engine as most of my head bolts were rusted tight, years and years of pressure practically melted them together- AND THEY STOOD NO MATCH FOR WD-40 (and a nights worth of sitting). Just spray the magical goodness on the threads and walk away, like magic the next morning the bolts and nuts worked themselves off with little effort.

Love me some Wd-40
    Not exactly the endorsement I was looking for.

I'm pretty sure this may even hurt the chances of this thread being elevated to "3* Official" status. Sirius, please don't hold this against me.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sorry folks, it appears that the 50+-year-old formulation of WD-40 remains a secret today. Any information that you may encounter alleging the disclosure of the “secret sauce” is inaccurate.

One thing we must do is correct any misinformation that may be harmful to either our consumers or our good name. Specifically, the listing of incorrect and poorly defined ingredients and safety information.

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
    Fact:
    While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
    Stoddard Solvent

Myth: WD-40 contains Stoddard Solvent.
    Fact:
    Over the past few decades, the name Stoddard Solvent was synonymous with all mineral spirits. Today, the mineral spirits found in products like ours are more refined and processed (see hydrogenation, hydrotreating and distillation techniques) providing mixtures with varying boiling points, cleaning ability, and chemical composition.

The catchall phrase “Stoddard Solvent” is no longer adequate to tell the proper story. WD-40 does indeed have 50% mineral spirits, but they are refined and purified for specific characteristics needed to meet today’s performance, regulatory, and safety requirements.
    Health and Safety

Information derived from our Material Safety Data Sheet and referred to for the general use of our product can be misleading. MSDS information is for the workplace and not primarily intended for the general consumer. For the general consumer, the product label provides the key safety and usage information.
    WD-40 and Bike Chains

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.
    Fact:
    While WD-40 Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40 Multi-Use Product before riding. For long-term lubrication, a specialized bicycle lubricant may be used.
    WD-40’s Original Founder

Myth: Ken East is WD-40’s original founder.
    Fact:
    While Ken East is often referred to as one of WD-40’s original founders, he used to say, “Heck, I ain’t that old.” Ken was the facility manager at WD-40 Company’s San Diego headquarters and was affectionately known as “The Brewmaster.” He mixed up batches of our secret sauce for over 15 years and was often heard to proudly proclaim, “I absolutely LOVE my job!” Ken happily retired in 2009.

As mentioned in our corporate and brand history, Norm Larsen, founder of Rocket Chemical Company, is considered the original founder of WD-40. Read the real story behind WD-40.
    What a Fish story!

Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
    Fact:
    Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.
    “WD-40 Cures Arthritis!” No Way.

Myth: WD-40 cures arthritis.
    Fact:
    This popular headline, appearing at least once a year in the tabloids, is completely FALSE. WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40 for medical purposes, and knows no reason why WD-40 would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40 contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material.

Fun Facts About WD-40

A bus driver in Asia used WD-40 to remove a python, which had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus.
    Police officers used WD-40 to remove a naked burglar trapped in an air conditioning vent.
    Crayola® Stain Removal Tips recommends using WD-40 to remove (regular) crayon marks from a variety of surfaces.
    The WD-40 Book, featuring many user testimonials and the wacky humor of Jim & Tim, The Duct Tape GuysTM, was published in 1997. The familiar blue and yellow can has been featured in other books ranging from The Big Damn Book of Sheer Manliness (General Publishing 1997) and Polish Your Furniture With Pantyhose (Hyperion 1995) to WD-40 for the Soul: A Guide To Mending Everything
    Leslie Nielsen portrayed agent Dick Steele (a.k.a., Agent WD-40) in the 1996 movie Spy Hard.
    WD-40 has a Fan Club with more than 100,000 members. Join today and share your stories, get free, fun downloads, check out the eNewsletter, receive the eTip of the week, and much more...
    WD-40 has its own social network, the Money-Saving Tool community, where members can submit stories, photos and videos about ways to save money.
    As The Duct Tape Guys say, “You only need two tools in life, Duct Tape® and WD-40. If it’s not stuck and it’s supposed to be, Duct Tape it. If it’s stuck and it’s not supposed to be, WD-40 it.”

So, keep using your WD-40. You can find a list of over 2,000 uses from our loyal users here. If you find a new use, please let us know. And, if you really need the secret formula, you can find it…...written on a single notepad……locked in a vault…...somewhere in California……if you can get in.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have heard from people who suffer from arthritis who have sworn it works on their joint pain. Now this guy happened to be an old fuck, but he said he and a number of his

friends spray it on the afflicted joint and reap the benefits.

Thread Information