Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Problem - Need Help

Load Metric

Computer Problem - Need Help

I usually am pretty good with this shit which makes me think I may be shit out of luck. I have had this laptop for like a year and it came partitioned. This is what the disks currently look like:

Name:  screen.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  23.8 KB

My laptop computer specs are this:

Name:  specs1.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  41.1 KB

I always save shit to the desktop and just install stuff to the C drive. When it gets too much I just transfer all the files to an external drive. This is how I have operated with every computer since Windows has had a desktop and it works the best for me. The problem is this partitioning of the C drive. All programs by default want to install/save to C drive (as i want them to) but it appears these Nazis at at Asus force you to have a smaller C drive. My C drive is only 65 gigs which windows takes up half of. I find myself always running out of room and then have to spend time tracking down what is taking up the space and move it to D or E.

AM i just fucked or is there anyway to expand the C partition. This is tilting the shit out of me.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    I am pretty sure you cannot do it within windows, but there are plenty of partition manager programs out there to do it. GParted is old as dirt, and should still be solid.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Follow the directions or whatever, burn it to disk or USB, and boot your computer with it. May take a while to run and do its shit, but whatever. Should work. Lets you resize, delete, move & create partitions.

(edit: after seeing the disk layout pic below, gparted ain't gonna cut it. I should ask more questions before giving out useless.dangerous computer advice.)

Also, as far as tracking down what's taking up all that room on your drives, this program is pretty awesome. http://windirstat.info/ Run it on a drive, and it will show you statistically and with color-coded blocks sized proportionally to the files on your drives. Makes it VERY easy to see where huge files are hiding.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: windirstat is a must have
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 10-31-2013 at 09:19 AM.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    65GB for a C drive in this day and age is faggot.

Rather than a sticking plaster solution your best bet is to do the job properly which will take some time:

Have a good tidy of up and delete any shit you don't need any more off all the drives.
    Get an 1TB+ size external HDD (USB).
    Use a tool like Acronis True Image to back up the D and E drives in their entirety to the external drive
    Once your happy the files are all backed up, remove the D and E drives (computer management / disk management / delete volume)
    Then in disk management again, extend the C volume. If it is greyed out, you may need to delete the BDEDrive partition first using the instructions here: http://aikitsupport.com/bde-drive-removal/
    Staying in disk management, recreate your D and E volumes to your chosen size (choose quick format).
    Back in Acronis TI, restore your partitions back to the D and E volumes. ATI allows you to restore to smaller partition providing there is still enough space on the drive for all the data.

If you can live with a sticking plaster solution, identify stuff you don't use much on the C drive and use the built-in windows compression to free up some space. Right click the folder / properties / advanced / compress contents to save disk space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    You can download and burn a standard Linux disto and it will include gparted or partedmagic. I use ubuntu because it has a graphical user interface and you don't need to read any instructions. Just download, burn, boot from CD, and your spider senses will tell you what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Just a word of warning on using any partitioning software - no matter how clever the software you cannot extend a partition unless there is unallocated disk space immediately adjacent to the partition you are looking to extend.

That's why you've got to delete the other partitions to get the result you are looking for. Painful but true.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: advice not to be ignored rep
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    are you guys sure his C drive isn't SSD?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    cmoney can you go to computer management / disk management and post a screenshot so we know what we're dealing with here.
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    cmoney can you go to computer management / disk management and post a screenshot so we know what we're dealing with here.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Expanding the C drive partition as is doesnt seem to be an option. I have tried that for like 2 hours with no success. I wish it was as that would be a simple solution. Belly Buster your idea of move everything to external and expanding it that way unfortunately sounds like the only viable option.

Here is a screen of my disks:

Name:  disks.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  122.6 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I am pretty sure you cannot do it within windows, but there are plenty of partition manager programs out there to do it. GParted is old as dirt, and should still be solid.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Follow the directions or whatever, burn it to disk or USB, and boot your computer with it. May take a while to run and do its shit, but whatever. Should work. Lets you resize, delete, move & create partitions.

Also, as far as tracking down what's taking up all that room on your drives, this program is pretty awesome. http://windirstat.info/ Run it on a drive, and it will show you statistically and with color-coded blocks sized proportionally to the files on your drives. Makes it VERY easy to see where huge files are hiding.

This is very cool. thank you

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have an Asus Laptop with nearly the same other specs as yours but it has the 1TB hard drive that was installed on one partition for the C drive and I put another 750GB in the secondary hard drive spot it has.

That is weird setup the way your C drive is only 65GB. I'm not sure why they have it setup that way because it's completely uncommon and retarded.

Gold
    Load Metric
    paging 408mike

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I have an Asus Laptop with nearly the same other specs as yours but it has the 1TB hard drive that was installed on one partition for the C drive and I put another 750GB in the secondary hard drive spot it has.

That is weird setup the way your C drive is only 65GB. I'm not sure why they have it setup that way because it's completely uncommon and retarded.
    It almost seems like they book-ended it with small recovery partitions just to make the C drive un-moveable. Totally didn't expect to see that when I gave my original answer.

Load Metric
    That partition structure looks a total abortion.

I guess you have a 256GB SSD which is a why they have done it this way. I also assume the E drive is an external drive.

Anyway the recovery partitions are only needed if you want to do a factory reset. TBH if you ever need to do this you might as well just go and buy a new laptop (as you lose all the stuff on the HDD).

I would revise the plan to:

Get a 2TB external HDD.
    Backup the entire disk 0 as is using Acronis True Image. At least then you can restore it all back if there's a problem.
    Use Acronis True Image to back up the D drive to the external drive
    Once your happy the files are all backed up, remove all the volumes to right of the C drive (computer management / disk management / delete volume) including the D drive
    Then in disk management again, extend the C volume.
    Staying in disk management, recreate your D volume to your chosen size (choose quick format).
    Back in Acronis TI, restore your partition back to the D volume. ATI allows you to restore to smaller partition providing there is still enough space on the drive for all the data.
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

Load Metric

It almost seems like they book-ended it with small recovery partitions just to make the C drive un-moveable. Totally didn't expect to see that when I gave my original answer.
    This 65 gig shit makes no sense. I figured it was either SSD for fast booting or it was a recovery drive that you're not supposed to be writing shit to.

Load Metric

I think I figured out why my setup is so fucking dumb... BeerandPoker's post made me start thinking since he has similar computer... The laptop I got was the last one and the "floor model." I bet those fuckers did this so that it could be easily restored if something went wrong.

Am I fucked or should Belly Busters solution work?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

I think I figured out why my setup is so fucking dumb... BeerandPoker's post made me start thinking since he has similar computer... The laptop I got was the last one and the "floor model." I bet those fuckers did this so that it could be easily restored if something went wrong.

Am I fucked or should Belly Busters solution work?
    That definitely sounds like something they would do if it's a floor model.

I believe you can do what Belly Buster suggests and I've done something similar in the past with a "Disk Image" type program. The worst part of the whole process is it does take a little time.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    use mini tool - partition wizard to enlarge partition

http://partitionwizard.com/partition...FWZBQgodQiIAUA

and/or

use clonezilla to image your hard drive

http://clonezilla.org/

take old hard drive out and replace with a larger drive

and then restore the image to the new drive which you will then have to make the partition larger using partition software above as it will restore to the larger drive exactly the way it was previously

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    That partition structure looks a total abortion.

I guess you have a 256GB SSD which is a why they have done it this way. I also assume the E drive is an external drive.

Anyway the recovery partitions are only needed if you want to do a factory reset. TBH if you ever need to do this you might as well just go and buy a new laptop (as you lose all the stuff on the HDD).

I would revise the plan to:

Get a 2TB external HDD.
    Backup the entire disk 0 as is using Acronis True Image. At least then you can restore it all back if there's a problem.
    Use Acronis True Image to back up the D drive to the external drive
    Once your happy the files are all backed up, remove all the volumes to right of the C drive (computer management / disk management / delete volume) including the D drive
    Then in disk management again, extend the C volume.
    Staying in disk management, recreate your D volume to your chosen size (choose quick format).
    Back in Acronis TI, restore your partition back to the D volume. ATI allows you to restore to smaller partition providing there is still enough space on the drive for all the data.
    btw E is not an external

Load Metric
    1. clone current drives to backup external.

2. get wormhole to produce a pick this weekend

3. buy new top of the line model (not floor model)

4. burn current pc in sacrifice to wormhole

Comments

Crowe Diddly: solid plan rep

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Good Idea To End October Rep

Load Metric
    1. clone current drives to backup external.

2. get wormhole to produce a pick this weekend

3. buy new top of the line model (not floor model)

4. burn current pc in sacrifice to wormhole
    solid, small price to pay

Thread Information