Thread: Who plays on VPN from the U.S?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Who plays on VPN from the U.S?

This subject is forbidden on the popular poker forums, curious what this community thinks about it and if anyone is participating..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

LOL at the parts I've circled or underlined. Go back to your "popular poker forums".

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

LOL at the parts I've circled or underlined. Go back to your "popular poker forums".
    I'm not sure what is "LOL" here, I am asking to discuss (in general obv) playing from US. There is not forum (that I have found) that openly discusses the challenges we face playing from the U.S - if this topic is taboo on this board let a MOD please close/delete the thread..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by johnysprinkles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

I'm not sure what is "LOL" here, I am asking to discuss (in general obv) playing from US. There is not forum (that I have found) that openly discusses the challenges we face playing from the U.S - if this topic is taboo on this board let a MOD please close/delete the thread..

Yes it happens via Teamveiwer but you need to really know and trust the guy on the Canadian side of the boarder. Not even worth it anymore minus cut plus playing hud circle jerkin games on Pokerstars.

U.S just needs to tax this shit already and get the show on the road. Takes so much trust to do this successfully.

Easier to just play for bitcoins. Sketchy but easy...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by johnysprinkles View Post

Why do you think that is nobody discusses it anywhere? It's just comical you create a new account on a site called "Poker Fraud Alert" and your first post is asking something that is a slippery slope.

Anyways, you got an answer to your question.

Load Metric
    The quest for ways to make turning a profit playing online poker even less likely, begins at PFA.

As if it isn't hard enough to survive the online players who have never been better than today.

Squeeze out a long term profit despite the lousy or non existent rake back deals these days.

Your bankroll has to survive endless temptation and tilt. The hardest part.

Let's filter all,this through a VPN that is just another form of rake. Compound being at risk for poor response & down times with a very real chance your bankroll gets seized. The sites you want to play are not clueless to folks looking for the end around.

The goal is to remove all obstacles to success.
    The VPN may sound tempting and the notion hard to give up. If as a player you do not fully embrace the notion that you are always looking to remove risk & improve EV in any way possible - you will over the long haul just end up like 90% of all losing poker players. That I guarantee you.

Just fire up Youtube and choose any of those old TV shows like HSP and ask where are they today.

Choose your spots wisely grasshopper. This ain't one of them.

Unless you just gotta get your gamble on with the prepubescent kids from Belarus. Maybe you just think poker is fun.

I write all this cause I have pursued the VPN idea. I am always battling the temptation to make things more difficult for myself - which is code for "spew". You gotta be ruthless about picking the right spots. You are gonna be amazed at all the great ways out there to fuck up your roll.

I write this as a reminder to my own bad self.

If you care to run the gauntlet, johnnysprinkles, I suggest you stick around PFA.

Comments

johnysprinkles:

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Some good responses here. My story is this: After black friday moving out of the country was not a possibility, my two sons were in middle school and had lost their mother (my wife) only 8 months earlier and had a school they liked and some very close friends and family that I was not going to move them away from.. I gave the Live poker 7-10 hour days thing a good try but being too far from a good mid-stakes game just makes it impossible.
    I started playing on Merge when they still were offering headsup games (my specialty) My GF at this time was from Eastern Europe and still owned a condo and had banking setup so when we started on Merge we signed up with her details so that we could use MoneyBookers and hoped that this would increase WD time and added level of safety. Things were fine other than the stakes that I could get action at were very limited but still this was better than playing live. When ROW players started to wait 2+ weeks for a WD I figured this was a bad sign and got out. Having some experience with this I decided to give using a VPN a try and playing on some sites other than PokerStars, I started with Ipoker in Jan 2012 and have been playing online since then.. I will not discuss too many personal details for obvious reasons. I have been very curious how many Americans were in similar situations and have been able to circumvent the system..

Load Metric
    There are some online resources for what can loosely be called " home games". I have used meetup.com, as an example. Lol, sounds like a dating site for degens. I guess it is come to think of it.

The stakes are usually never more than $2/5. When it's $5/10 it's usually choice cause this is way out of the regs comfort zone.

As you know, you gotta watch the rake. I have walked away from some stupid rake.

More than anything it's an exercise in networking too. Youll meet a guy who knows a guy who has another game.

Just be kinda smart about transporting your roll to and from these things. Google earth & maps. Have a plan. Drive by the place and watch. I actually paid a buddy to wait outside to handoff part of my roll midway through a good session, during cigarette break.

Maybe that's just a Boston thing.

You can always talk people into almost anything including "heads up".

Is Americas Cardroom/Black Chip such a bad way to go? Again, rare $5/10 action. Fistfull of regs here, that's it. 2/4 & 3/6 is okay. Avoid regs dropping down.

Cash outs via debit card is great.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 10-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Years ago I played pretty regularly in small clubs in the area, action was good but stakes were pretty small, hardly ever a mid-stakes game would run. Also you have added issues to worry about - being robbed, or being raided.. This is not the atmosphere that appeals to me these days. Home games are even worse - you have no idea what you are walking into, rigged games, sore losers, another possibility of being robber.. no thanks!

Load Metric
    Interesting topic. The only things that I'm willing to say is that I use a free VPN service and have been able to play without intervention on 888, William Hill, 32Red, Full Tilt and Redbet Ongame. I was caught by Redbet Boss and have no access to my account there. It's hard to say how long this will last as I have been playing on these sites for about 6 months. The games are clearly softer than on Merge. There are a couple of ways to deal with the funding and withdrawal issues.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I am curious how you got "caught" if you are aware and able to elaborate? The use of a VPN service is not on its own against TOS as many ROW players use VPN's for other reasons all together. I assume P2P transfers were high on your account? you were not able to WD to MB/Neteller and could not prove residence?

Load Metric
    On RedbetBoss, my VPN kept failing on one day and I kept getting disconnected from the site while I was playing. The next time I logged on they said that I was playing from the U.S. and they were denying access to my account (paraphrase). With regard to money issues, it would be useful to have friends or family in other countries but that is not the only way to deal with these issues.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    The simple solution to this is that you set your programs (Pokersite) to not run without VPN, when my VPN fails I am disconnected from the sites. and yes, without friends/family that you trust I don't see how it can work playing on vpn..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    Interesting topic. The only things that I'm willing to say is that I use a free VPN service and have been able to play without intervention on 888, William Hill, 32Red, Full Tilt and Redbet Ongame. I was caught by Redbet Boss and have no access to my account there. It's hard to say how long this will last as I have been playing on these sites for about 6 months. The games are clearly softer than on Merge. There are a couple of ways to deal with the funding and withdrawal issues.
    riiight...

Thread Information