Thread: CMONEY INVESTMENT ADVICE OF THE WEEK - BUY COMIC BOOKS AND FUN STUFF

Load Metric

CMONEY INVESTMENT ADVICE OF THE WEEK - BUY COMIC BOOKS AND FUN STUFF

I did an inventory this week and my comic books stash has gone up around 100k in the last few years. It includes high grades of first Spider Man appearance, X Men 1, Hulk 1 , Fantastic Four 1 and ton of others as well as original comic art. I am actually not a really big comic book fan but I see it as a good investment.

Every month i take 10-20 percent of what I make and buy random things like comic books, base ball cards, jewelery, land, art. I stay clear ofstocks for the most part, as I dont like anything that isnt a tangible asset. I do have a lot of amazon, apple, yahoo stock as well as a few others but mostly stick to stocks i personally see value in.

The point in posting this is make people aware that there is a lot of money in fun stuff as investments versus the typical stocks and boring stuff like that. Investing in stuff doesn't need to be a situation where you feel you are giving up fun for the future.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Comic and comic art rep
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Name:  simpsons-kid-robot-toys-2.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  31.6 KB

Load Metric
    buy "assault" rifles for maximum roi

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

I actually have the duff beer one

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

yeah

i know obv

Load Metric

yeah

i know obv

obv

Load Metric
    I gotta hunch furries are gonna be a hot collectible soon.

Bronze
    Load Metric

The point in posting this is make people aware that there is a lot of money in fun stuff as investments versus the typical stocks and boring stuff like that. Investing in stuff doesn't need to be a situation where you feel you are giving up fun for the future.
    Is this about Bitcoins or are you into Amway?

Hell, just having disposable income is the nuts and of course
    using only disposable income is the key.

Load Metric
    ???Comic Books???

i thought they have been dead as an investment for a couple of decades...

where are you getting your appraisal information from, and what method of selling them are you using? a fast sale to a middle man dealer will usually get you only 25 to 30 percent of the top appraisal values i believe--exit strategy is always the problem for getting money out of collectables

i have a load of 1966-1969 marvel comics (i bought em at the local store) so i have a sincere interest in your ideas rather than the typical knee-jerk NWP/DD/PFA shitcanning of fresh thinking
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    My Beanie Baby Jerry Garcia doll has plummeted. Gonna sell it for scrap stuffing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

It is a stupid article and misleading

"After college he landed a tech job in Silicon Valley but held on to all 1,200 of his comics, including several hundred early issues of Marvel’s X-Men, which his research suggested had grown in value every year. The comics sat in a storage unit, boarded and bagged, for close to two decades. When Smith found himself unemployed and in need of money to support his wife and two daughters, he decided the time was right to cash in on his investment."

Of course his comics are worthless if they were all from the last 20-30 years. It is the same thing for baseball cards. After 1983 or so they made way too many of both comics and baseball cards. The fact that they had been sitting in his garage for two decades probably means he bought most of them when he was a kid which is further proof he just bought the stuff they made way too many of.

He cites early Xmen as a big deal to have. There is the Xmen that came out in the early 90s and then the one that was in the 60s. Early Xmen from the 60s can go for 10k+ depending on condition. You can see them being bought on a weekly basis on ebay. The one that came out in in the 90s is essentially worthless.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

It is a stupid article and misleading

"After college he landed a tech job in Silicon Valley but held on to all 1,200 of his comics, including several hundred early issues of Marvel’s X-Men, which his research suggested had grown in value every year. The comics sat in a storage unit, boarded and bagged, for close to two decades. When Smith found himself unemployed and in need of money to support his wife and two daughters, he decided the time was right to cash in on his investment."

Of course his comics are worthless if they were all from the last 20-30 years. Most stuff in the 60s and 70s is worthless too. It is the same thing for baseball cards. After 1970 or so they made way too many of both comics and baseball cards. The fact that they had been sitting in his garage for two decades probably means he bought most of them when he was a kid which is further proof he just bought the stuff they made way too many of.

He cites early Xmen as a big deal to have. There is the Xmen that came out in the early 90s and then the one that was in the 60s. Xmen from the 60s can go for 10k+ depending on condition but that is rare. Most of the ones from the 60s are worthless. The one that came out in in the 90s is essentially worthless.

On the other end of the spectrum, almost any comic book store owner can supply eye-opening tales of depreciation. Walter Durajlija, an adviser for Overstreet and owner of Big B Comics in Hamilton, Ont., sold a copy of Uncanny X-Men No. 94 in 2010 for a record $26,500. Last year, that same comic sold in his store for only $12,000. “[My] last two sales [of X-Men No. 94] were $9,501 in February of 2013 and $8,089 three short days later,” he says. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. “Incredible Hulk No. 181 was getting $20,000; they now trade for $8,000.

This is also retarded and the people just got ripped off . For example, I have a Incredible Hulk 181 in high grade and it was 600 bucks.

Like any investment it is what and when you buy. I go for the stuff in the 1940s mostly. I have only been at the 1940s stuff the last 4-5 months because I feel some of the stuff has hit a bottom.

Could it be a fail? for sure. But that is why you have like 10 things going at once and go for a 70 percent success rate.
    Last edited by cmoney; 11-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    ???Comic Books???

where are you getting your appraisal information from, and what method of selling them are you using? a fast sale to a middle man dealer will usually get you only 25 to 30 percent of the top appraisal values i believe--exit strategy is always the problem for getting money out of collectables

i have a load of 1966-1969 marvel comics (i bought em at the local store) so i have a sincere interest in your ideas rather than the typical knee-jerk NWP/DD/PFA shitcanning of fresh thinking

Sorry to say but they are most likely worthless. You may have a shot if they are a high grade but even then not going to be anything to get excited about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    ???Comic Books???

True comic books have lost some value, depending on what they are and there condition.
    Original art on the other hand especially certain artist Kirby, ditko, steranko, bucema. Can sell depending on the piece for crazy dollars. I have close to 3000 comics mostly marvel and readers, but a fairly large amount of golden age comics and value of these are quite high again depending on the book and artist, wood, frazzetta.
    As c$ says its about fun too

For Halloween I gave all the kids a Spider-Man comic with a candy.

Comments

1marley1: .
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 11-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I did an inventory this week and my comic books stash has gone up around 100k in the last few years. It includes high grades of first Spider Man appearance, X Men 1, Hulk 1 , Fantastic Four 1 and ton of others as well as original comic art. I am actually not a really big comic book fan but I see it as a good investment.

Every month i take 10-20 percent of what I make and buy random things like comic books, base ball cards, jewelery, land, art. I stay clear of stocks for the most part, as I dont like anything that isnt a tangible asset. I do have a lot of amazon, apple, yahoo stock as well as a few others but mostly stick to stocks i personally see value in.

HOF

CMoney = GOD

Thread Information