View Poll Results: Which court date turned out better for me when trying to get a $560 "seatbelt warrant" red

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1999 Norwalk

10 47.62%
  • 2007 West Los Angeles

8 38.10%
  • They were about the same

3 14.29%
  • Don't know or care

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jew Make the Call: Seatbelt Tickets Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Jew Make the Call: Seatbelt Tickets Edition

I am going to describe two nearly identical situations from my life in 1999 and 2007. You will vote on which one you think turned out better for me.

In both situations, I received a "seatbelt ticket". California has a law where you are not allowed to drive without a seatbelt. I was very unlucky both times -- once in 1999, once in 2007 -- as I was driving just a few blocks and didn't bother to put on my seatbelt, and was pulled over. I usually do wear my seatbelt, which is why both of these were really irritating. Anyway, a seatbelt ticket does not affect your driving record. It typically runs from $20-$25.

Unfortunately, in BOTH cases, I did not receive a "courtesy notice" from Los Angeles County. You cannot pay the ticket on the spot. You need to wait for this notice, telling you how much you owe and where/how to pay. I did not receive the notice either time, and both times I forgot about the ticket. It is technically my responsibility to keep track of this, so each became a "DID NOT APPEAR" violation when I failed to pay on time. This is technically a bench warrant for your arrest, but in reality they rarely (if ever) arrest someone in a situation like this. However, the fine rockets up from your original $20-$25 to something outrageous like $560, and you need to see a judge to get it reduced. Apparently these courtesy notices are notoriously unreliable in Los Angeles County, and I suspect this is not unintentional.

In 1999, my ticket was in Norwalk, a crime-ridden city near Los Angeles.

In 2007, my ticket was near LAX, and fell under the huge West Los Angeles court jurisdiction.

Both cities are part of Los Angeles County.

1999 Norwalk Situation

Even though this was a traffic matter, it was assigned to the criminal court system, since technically it involved a warrant. I arrived to find that I was one of just three people in court that day. One was a young man who stole a car, was pleading guilty, and was ready to serve his sentence. The other was some kind of gang-related case. Needless to say, my case was the only "minor" one of the three.

After sentencing the car thief, the middle-aged female judge moved onto my case.

"Okay, bailiff, please take the defendant to be processed to begin his sentence immediately. Next we have Mr. Witteles... umm... something about a seatbelt here? Can you please explain?"

================================================== ========================================

2007 West LA Situation

This couldn't be more different than the above. This whole process was obnoxious. First I had to come all the way down there to schedule my hearing (with Norwalk I was able to do it over the phone), and then I had to come back and wait a long time for the hearing to start.

Rather than sharing my court date with a few career criminals and a judge unfamiliar with the seatbelt ticket warrant, I was in a large room full of mostly middle-class looking people.

When the elderly, cantankerous judge sat down, he announced, "I know why all of you are here. You had some itty-bitty little violation, somehow forgot to pay the fine, and now it's a big, scary, expensive warrant. But I have good news for everyone here. I'm sure you all have great reasons for not paying the fine on time. So all you need to do is come up and give me a reason you didn't pay. It can be any reason. Tell me the dog ate your courtesy notice, I don't care. As long as it's a reason, I will take that big, scary, expensive warrant, dismiss it, and turn it into a severely reduced fine."

After waiting through about an hour's worth of people coming up (I'd say about 20 total), he finally called my name.

"Mr. Witteles, what is your reason for not paying your seatbelt ticket?"

================================================== =====================================

In both cases above, I told the true and accurate reason it all happened, which was actually the same for both of them.

How do you think each of these turned out?

I am not asking you to guess or rely upon your amazing psychic abilities.

If you think about it, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which one turned out better, or if they both broke out about the same.

Please vote and post your reasoning.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    each became a "DID NOT APPEAR" violation when I failed to pay on time. This is technically a bench warrant for your arrest, but in reality they rarely (if ever) arrest someone in a situation like this.
    Really? I've been arrested twice for bench warrants. Guess I'm unlucky too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    each became a "DID NOT APPEAR" violation when I failed to pay on time. This is technically a bench warrant for your arrest, but in reality they rarely (if ever) arrest someone in a situation like this.
    Maybe the Texas police are hard-asses.

Police in Los Angeles typically ignore bench warrants if they are for stupid shit like a seatbelt ticket.

If the bench warrant is for something a little more serious (such as shoplifting and then failing to appear in court), they will definitely arrest you.

Load Metric
    The first one turned out better because it was in the poorer part of town & the fine was less because they wanted you to pay something. The 2nd judge thought you were rich & could pay it so didn't reduce it much or at all.

What do I win?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Banned
    Load Metric

Police in Los Angeles typically ignore bench warrants if they are for stupid shit like a seatbelt ticket.

If the bench warrant is for something a little more serious (such as shoplifting and then failing to appear in court), they will definitely arrest you.
    Mine were for minor in possession of tobacco (ticketed at 17, arrested at 19, lol) and no proof of car insurance.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Mine were for minor in possession of tobacco (ticketed at 17, arrested at 19, lol) and no proof of car insurance.
    The tobacco one would probably happen in California, too.

The second one is marginal. They are pretty sensitive about the insurance thing in most places, so I can see why they arrested you when you didn't appear in court for it.

Interestingly, I had contact with police (other traffic stops) in BOTH cases above, they found the bench warrant, told me about it, and said something like, "I have the option to arrest you here, but I won't."

Load Metric
    2007 West LA Situation

This couldn't be more different than the above. This whole process was obnoxious.
    Uhh, I'm gonna guess this one was worse...
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Not sure if I want to go with the obv or the non obv because the obv seems so obv that it almost seems obv I should go with the non obv.

Meh... I'm just gonna go with the obv.

Load Metric
    norwalk they laughed you out of the court and you didn't even have to pay the fine at all.

west la you had to pay the full $560

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    2007 West LA Situation

This couldn't be more different than the above. This whole process was obnoxious.
    Uhh, I'm gonna guess this one was worse...
    Worse experience for sure, but that's all I was referring to. I wasn't talking about the final result. I was talking about all the crap they put me through just to get to the same point.

Anyway, I will reveal the answer soon.

Load Metric
    My answer is both and my reasoning for coming up with that answer is because most traffic judges are extreme assholes. I have only been cited 3 times and went to court to fight them each time. The funny thing is the citations were issued in 3 different counties (Orange, LA and Ventura)

My first citation was in Cerritos from a red light traffic camera in 2001. My argument was that the yellow light seemed extremely short. The judge proceeded that I was guilty and that I was wasting his time.

Second one was a speeding ticket in Ventura in which I was going with the flow off traffic at 75 mph. Both the CHP and the judge were arrogant assholes in the whole matter.

Third one was another speeding ticket given out by the Irvine Police Department which is comical because the citing officer recommended to fight the ticket so I did and lost.. Also to add that scheduling the court date was a hassle as well.

Load Metric

The tobacco one would probably happen in California, too.

The second one is marginal. They are pretty sensitive about the insurance thing in most places, so I can see why they arrested you when you didn't appear in court for it.

Interestingly, I had contact with police (other traffic stops) in BOTH cases above, they found the bench warrant, told me about it, and said something like, "I have the option to arrest you here, but I won't."
    Jesus fucking christ are you serious? I have literally never heard that, if the cop had the option to arrest me over some stupid fucking bench warrant for something they fucking arrested me. I'm talking traffic tickets, the whole shebang. What the fuck

Load Metric
    I once got a seatbelt ticket in Isla Vista from an IV foot patrol cop on a bike.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Unless you tried some verbal jew jitsu with 2007 judge, that should have ended better for you as he essentially told you the deal up front.

I voted for Norwalk being worse. If it's option 3 then I'm calling bullshit on the whole deal.

Not a bad thread though.

Gold
    Load Metric
    It typically runs from $20-$25
    "The minimum ticket cost of an adult seat belt violation in California is $142 and up, and a minimum of $445 for not properly restraining a child under 16. If the parent is not in the car, the driver gets the ticket." I just got one for $161 last month.

Load Metric
    It's obvious that the 2007 situation he received the beat down on.

What happened was Druff told the truth.

Had he lied to judge and came up with any BS reason he would have gotten off with the minimum but since he didn't he got owned by the judge.

Load Metric

On a similar note I got snagged for selling tobacco underage to a hired teen for the Alcohol Law Enforcement idiots. Got it tossed it court though because the kid wasnt allowed to lie about his age and he did making it automatically entrapment under NC Law.

Load Metric
    druff wouldnt make this post if the old judge promising to reduce the fines got him the better deal, so I think the old dude fucked him over and he did better in norwalk. if not i think the whole thread is pointless and druff likes to think he always has a point.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    2007 judge pissed that you lied about not receiving the notice when he knows you did. That was probably the only excuse he didn't want to hear and the only excuse that would get the book thrown at you. For some reason you keep up this lie to this day on this forum as well. Weird.

Load Metric
    My read is the 1999 judge couldn't care less about your case, and just had you pay the $20 or whatever. The 2007 is a "moneymaker court" for the county, maybe your fine was reduced, but not by much I am assuming.

Thread Information