Thread: What about BJ tournaments?

Load Metric

What about BJ tournaments?

I keep getting invited, but I hate the ones where there are 20+ tables and the top 40, or whatever, make it.
    I only like the ones where the top 2 from each table advance, but if not online those seem hard to find.
    I liked the UB ones for a while.

Any tips or advice for these?

When I'm 3B, I like to bet the minimum and then take the bust card, or whatever the 3B is NOT supposed to do.
    Doubt it is + EV, but it sure tilts the F out of people.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    I keep getting invited, but I hate the ones where there are 20+ tables and the top 40, or whatever, make it.
    I only like the ones where the top 2 from each table advance, but if not online those seem hard to find.
    I liked the UB ones for a while.

Any tips or advice for these?

When I'm 3B, I like to bet the minimum and then take the bust card, or whatever the 3B is NOT supposed to do.
    Doubt it is + EV, but it sure tilts the F out of people.
    There is actually some real strategy to these, and it's all about bet sizing.

If you want a really easy, catch-all strategy, do the following:

Always bet the minimum, until someone gets far enough ahead to where you need to bet to catch them, and then bet big until you catch up.

The general theory here is that between the house edge in blackjack and the risk of ruin with non-reloadable tournament chips, most people will go bust or finish with a lot fewer chips than where they started. Therefore, you just bet as little as possible and let them hang themselves, and only modify that if someone is running hot.

Also keep in mind that this really only works against blackjack tournament donks, and not against people who have a clue with strategy in these things. The good news is that you will usually be playing with 100% donks at your table.

Thread Information