Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA fighter attempts to cut weight, ends up severing mortal coil

Load Metric

MMA fighter attempts to cut weight, ends up severing mortal coil

http://www.businessinsider.com/leand...=Sept2013-ltst

A Brazilian MMA fighter died on Thursday while trying to make weight for his upcoming fight in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
    The 26-year old Leandro "Feijao" Souza passed out moments before the official weigh-ins for the Shooto 43 fight card, according to MMAfighting.com

MMA fighters are often known for cutting weight by shedding water right before fights through dehydration tactics.

After the fight they refuel themselves back to their normal weight, which can be 10, 20, or even 30 pounds above the fight weight limit.

Souza fought at the flyweight division, which is the smallest weight division in MMA. The required weight limit is 125 pounds. Authorities have not confirmed the cause of his death yet but his trainer Andre Santos told mmafighting.com that his death is linked to the weight cut:

"We don’t have much information yet but we do know that is related to his weight cut...His sister called me saying that he had passed out so I went to the hospital, but he was already dead when I got there".

According to Santos, Souza was attempting to take the fight on short notice and needed to lose 33 pounds in one week. Not only that, he still had 11 pounds to lose in the last 24 hours right before the weigh-ins. Souza was two pounds short of the weight limit when they found him dead inside a sauna.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/leand...#ixzz2gAE3yk7E

Comments

shortbuspoker: +1 for thread title. I had to google the term mortal coil. Learning is half the battle.

BCR:
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    Kid is obviously a bish, Jake Lamotta cut over 10,000 lbs like a hundred years ago.

Name:  lamotta-jake-33.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  70.4 KB

Banned
    Load Metric
    THAT'S RIGHT SKATZ, RAGING BULL FLASH BLACKS

Name:  JakeLaMotta_with_DeNiro.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  47.1 KB

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    THAT'S RIGHT SKATZ, RAGING BULL FLASH BLACKS

Name:  JakeLaMotta_with_DeNiro.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  47.1 KB
    OH WHAT'S THAT GARE? YOU FORGOT WHO DIRECTED?

Name:  martin-scorsese2.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  78.6 KB

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Kid is obviously a bish, Jake Lamotta cut over 10,000 lbs like a hundred years ago.

Name:  lamotta-jake-33.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  70.4 KB

Banned
    Load Metric
    Odds who ate more gelato?

Gare

Tine

Lamotta

Name:  Gelato.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  86.3 KB

never forget

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Strong

sonatine: NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILED US

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not really a surprise but will be interesting if they can they pin point it to just the weight cut itself?

Most of the time people have other health issues even some they might not know about so the cut itself may not be the only thing that killed them.

Comments

sonatine: gif

Load Metric
    Back when I was on my high school wrestling team I used to do this dumb shit a lot to make weight. My normal weight was 145, but one time the kid below me on my team at 136 got sick and couldn't make a match so the coach had me drop down and had the JV kid at 145 take my spot. I don't remember why he didn't just have the JV kid at 136 step up, but for whatever reason he didn't. Anyway, it killed me to get down to 136. I remember hardly eating for a few days, only drinking water, and jogging in place in the sauna at my local JCC. Turns out the kid I had to go up against was the state champ at 136. He pinned me in 14 seconds. It was not a shining moment in my high school wrestling career.

It's funny the shit our so called know it all coaches had us do back in the day. I suspect nowadays a lot of them would be locked up for some of the crazy shit they had us do and how they reacted when one of us would go down.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I had a few wrestling friends in HS and lunch was always the same at school, they would just sit there watching us eat and suffer.

My younger brother was a not so great wrestler but he was decently over weight going in to it, I was off to college. We were both freshmen respectably and when I came home for the first time it was like meeting a new person. He dropped a ton of weight and was barely shorter than me.

I was actually kind of happy for him because I come from a family of decent athletes and he never really had it up til this point. My parents stuck him in basically every sport like they did with the rest of us but he was always the goon and it actually grew his confidence up, I remember when I came home that first time he started talking shit to me like he could take me. I know that sounds like a come at me bro thing to say but I guess you had to be there to get the full scale of how fail my brother was at sports during this time.

Comments

Deal: sloppy drunk rep

bukowski72: HS and your mom's cocklunch interesting

Load Metric
    I had a few wrestling friends in HS and lunch was always the same at school, they would just sit there watching us eat and suffer.

My younger brother was a not so great wrestler but he was decently over weight going in to it, I was off to college. We were both freshmen respectably and when I came home for the first time it was like meeting a new person. He dropped a ton of weight and was barely shorter than me.

I was actually kind of happy for him because I come from a family of decent athletes and he never really had it up til this point. My parents stuck him in basically every sport like they did with the rest of us but he was always the goon and it actually grew his confidence up, I remember when I came home that first time he started talking shit to me like he could take me. I know that sounds like a come at me bro thing to say but I guess you had to be there to get the full scale of how fail my brother was at sports during this time.
    Thank you for wasting 15 secs of my life I'll never get back

Load Metric
    In other MMA news, Yushin Okami has been cut from the UFC eben though he's 3-1 in his last four:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/97...i-18-fight-run

Also, Lyoto Machida is replacing an injured Michael Bisping(eye) against Mark Munoz on the card in Manchester, England & will make his middleweight debut:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/97...ain-event-bout
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    In other MMA news, Yushin Okami has been cut from the UFC eben though he's 3-1 in his last four:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/97...i-18-fight-run

Also, Lyoto Machida is replacing an injured Michael Bisping(eye) against Mark Munoz on the card in Manchester, England & will make his middleweight debut:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/97...ain-event-bout

yeah, weird fucking day in mma news.

the okami thing straight pissed me off until someone broke down to me a really interesting dynamic. okami has fought 18 times in the ufc (and because of this has a pretty steep price tag) and he has absolutely no draw and is no longer a candidate even for gatekeeper. point being; im morally outraged at his being cut but from a business perspective its not just sound, its predictable.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Yup, totally agree. It's Fitch all over again.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    is it true that Gare was rushed to Emerg' this evening as a result of weight cutting for the big pie eating contest at the church youth group tomorrow?

Comments

lewfather: not entirely true, kid went to the clinic but he will be fine. thanks for your support though.

Load Metric

not to argue for arguments sake or anything but i consider okami an exponentially more exciting fighter than fitch.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    okami an exponentially more exciting fighter than fitch.
    great story

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Back when I was on my high school wrestling team I used to do this dumb shit a lot to make weight. My normal weight was 145, but one time the kid below me on my team at 136 got sick and couldn't make a match so the coach had me drop down and had the JV kid at 145 take my spot. I don't remember why he didn't just have the JV kid at 136 step up, but for whatever reason he didn't. Anyway, it killed me to get down to 136. I remember hardly eating for a few days, only drinking water, and jogging in place in the sauna at my local JCC. Turns out the kid I had to go up against was the state champ at 136. He pinned me in 14 seconds. It was not a shining moment in my high school wrestling career.

It's funny the shit our so called know it all coaches had us do back in the day. I suspect nowadays a lot of them would be locked up for some of the crazy shit they had us do and how they reacted when one of us would go down.
    Yup, I remember kids running around with plastic bags and other shit in heated rooms to cut weight.

Also when we suffered concussions in football they would throw us right back in. I remember a drill we did called the nutcracker drill. Guys would line up 30 yds apart. One with a ball and the other a tackler and we would just have to go full steam and hit the guy. Guys would get up not knowing where they were and the coaches would just stick them back in line for their next turn.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

Yup, I remember kids running around with plastic bags and other shit in heated rooms to cut weight.

Also when we suffered concussions in football they would throw us right back in. I remember a drill we did called the nutcracker drill. Guys would line up 30 yds apart. One with a ball and the other a tackler and we would just have to go full steam and hit the guy. Guys would get up not knowing where they were and the coaches would just stick them back in line for their next turn.
    ronnie lott approved

Load Metric

yeah, weird fucking day in mma news.

the okami thing straight pissed me off until someone broke down to me a really interesting dynamic. okami has fought 18 times in the ufc (and because of this has a pretty steep price tag) and he has absolutely no draw and is no longer a candidate even for gatekeeper. point being; im morally outraged at his being cut but from a business perspective its not just sound, its predictable.
    Do they do this sort of thing in boxing too? What a slippery slope towards WWE type entertainment. You can no longer just win fights you have to be able to sell t-shirts too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric

not to argue for arguments sake or anything but i consider okami an exponentially more exciting fighter than fitch.
    Wasn't talking about their fighting style, just that they were both cut for supposed financial reasons even though they had a pretty decent record as of late.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

Known as the Oklahoma Drill, or a thousand other names, and there is no amount of traumatic brain injury that could ever make it anything other than the greatest drill one ever has the good fortune to participate in.

Even now, on the first autumn day where the temperature drops and the wind has a bit of bite, what I wouldn't give to line up in that circle again and damage my frontal lobe even further when the coach points at me.

Fighters and wrestlers dropping dead from electrolyte imbalances is a time honored tradition. Making guys weigh-in immediately before a match has always been the obvious fix, as no one would do it, lest they have to grapple or fight in such a weakened state that the drop in class would never make it worth it, but it will never happen.

I prefer severing one's mortal coil to the common parlance of shedding, and I think it even preferable to the bard's shuffle.

Thread Information