Thread: Offers of thought on this one needed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Offers of thought on this one needed.

Several months ago I left the United States to make a new home and get married. Making my flights arrangements a month in advance. Now when I was about to board the plane I was told it was full and that I wouldn't be able to get on.

Well f#ck that bullsh#t as I left and went to customer relations to solve my problem. Well I was told I'd have to wait and board the next day and that was it. Well f#ck that bullsh#t and I demanded a room and food.

Well they said sorry. Well f#ck that bullsh#t and I demanded to see the terminal manager or who was ever in charge of the place and sat down and parked my #ss right in front of the stand.

Well low and behold within sereval minutes this woman showed up and was so nice. She gave me a fantastic room and 3 free meals, but that was not all and the reason I'm writing this.

She cuts me a check for $1300 dollars. Bewildered I didn't ask why but grabbed the check and headed for the bank to deposit it. And it was good.

The next day I caught my flight and now am living out of the United States and very happily married.

But why did they give me $1300 dollars? Anyone have any idea? Sure would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Sonny

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    Several months ago I left the United States to make a new home and get married. Making my flights arrangements a month in advance. Now when I was about to board the plane I was told it was full and that I wouldn't be able to get on.

Well f#ck that bullsh#t as I left and went to customer relations to solve my problem. Well I was told I'd have to wait and board the next day and that was it. Well f#ck that bullsh#t and I demanded a room and food.

Well they said sorry. Well f#ck that bullsh#t and I demanded to see the terminal manager or who was ever in charge of the place and sat down and parked my #ss right in front of the stand.

Well low and behold within sereval minutes this woman showed up and was so nice. She gave me a fantastic room and 3 free meals, but that was not all and the reason I'm writing this.

She cuts me a check for $1300 dollars. Bewildered I didn't ask why but grabbed the check and headed for the bank to deposit it. And it was good.

The next day I caught my flight and now am living out of the United States and very happily married.

But why did they give me $1300 dollars? Anyone have any idea? Sure would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Sonny
    What airline?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    United.

Load Metric
    Without being too nosey, how much is the $1300 in relation to what you paid for your ticket? It may just be that there was a supervisor there that believes in really good service. I suppose it's also possible that they double sold your ticket to someone else for substantially more and the $1300 was a part of the price difference that they were willing to give up to keep you happy(well as happy as can be given the one day delay).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ticket cost $320.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Sonny

Congrats on getting married, and I think I can explain what happened.

When you are ticketed by a US airline, they have to seat you by law. There is no such thing as "The flight's full, sir, your ticket is not valid anymore."

Then how did it happen?

Airlines sometimes engage in a (legal) practice called "overbooking", where they actually sell more seats than the plane has, assuming that a certain percentage of people will cancel.

They have computers to predict, from historical data, how many people will cancel, and usually get it pretty close. They also oversell fewer than the expected cancellations. So if this flight is expected to have 10 cancellations, maybe they'll oversell 6 tickets (I'm just making this number up -- I don't know the actual formula).

They especially like to target certain destinations with a high cancellation rate.

Anyway, sometimes real life does not go as computers predict, which leaves the airline in bad shape when everyone shows up. They simply don't have enough seats.

However, they can't simply turn you away. They are required to rectify the situation.

They can do this one of two ways:

1) Book you on an equivalent airline that leaves right around the same time. (They can't make you wait any unreasonable length of time to be rebooked, though. For example, they can't tell you to take a flight on a different airline three hours later, even if they pay for and arrange anything.)

2) Ask other passengers to voluntarily get off the plane, to make room for you. They get these passengers to do so with offers of cash, airline credit, and other perks. Usually they will announce, "We are offering $500 (or whatever), 2 meals, and a hotel room to any passenger who wishes to give up their seat and fly tomorrow instead." If no one takes the offer, they keep upping the amount of money until someone does. There will always be someone who jumps at this rather quickly, making it highly unlikely they will have to raise the offer much higher.

So what happened in your case?

First off, you were initially dealing with idiots. Either that, or they thought YOU were an idiot, and would simply back down and accept the circumstance without any sort of compensation. Or perhaps both.

Anyway, the last person you dealt with probably realized that they were violating US law and could not turn you away as a ticketed passenger. While they probably could have gotten someone to get off the plane for less than $1300, I'm guessing that the woman cut you the maximum amount they were willing to offer without some kind of further oversight, in order to both simplify the process and give you a little something extra for your trouble. This prevented them from having to go on the plane and get someone to volunteer, saving them time and effort. They also might have had a harder time getting someone off for cheap, as it was an international flight to a destination where few probably travel alone (thus making it harder for one person to agree to step off and wait until tomorrow).

In short, they did what they were required to do, but the woman was obviously nice and did you a favor by giving you what was likely as much as she could have.

You did very well here. If I were flying somewhere myself, I would love to have $1300 and a hotel room to wait until tomorrow, unless I had to be somewhere urgently.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Sonny

Congrats on getting married, and I think I can explain what happened.

When you are ticketed by a US airline, they have to seat you by law. There is no such thing as "The flight's full, sir, your ticket is not valid anymore."

Then how did it happen?

Airlines sometimes engage in a (legal) practice called "overbooking", where they actually sell more seats than the plane has, assuming that a certain percentage of people will cancel.

They have computers to predict, from historical data, how many people will cancel, and usually get it pretty close. They also oversell fewer than the expected cancellations. So if this flight is expected to have 10 cancellations, maybe they'll oversell 6 tickets (I'm just making this number up -- I don't know the actual formula).

They especially like to target certain destinations with a high cancellation rate.

Anyway, sometimes real life does not go as computers predict, which leaves the airline in bad shape when everyone shows up. They simply don't have enough seats.

However, they can't simply turn you away. They are required to rectify the situation.

They can do this one of two ways:

1) Book you on an equivalent airline that leaves right around the same time. (They can't make you wait any unreasonable length of time to be rebooked, though. For example, they can't tell you to take a flight on a different airline three hours later, even if they pay for and arrange anything.)

2) Ask other passengers to voluntarily get off the plane, to make room for you. They get these passengers to do so with offers of cash, airline credit, and other perks. Usually they will announce, "We are offering $500 (or whatever), 2 meals, and a hotel room to any passenger who wishes to give up their seat and fly tomorrow instead." If no one takes the offer, they keep upping the amount of money until someone does. There will always be someone who jumps at this rather quickly, making it highly unlikely they will have to raise the offer much higher.

So what happened in your case?

First off, you were initially dealing with idiots. Either that, or they thought YOU were an idiot, and would simply back down and accept the circumstance without any sort of compensation. Or perhaps both.

Anyway, the last person you dealt with probably realized that they were violating US law and could not turn you away as a ticketed passenger. While they probably could have gotten someone to get off the plane for less than $1300, I'm guessing that the woman cut you the maximum amount they were willing to offer without some kind of further oversight, in order to both simplify the process and give you a little something extra for your trouble. This prevented them from having to go on the plane and get someone to volunteer, saving them time and effort. They also might have had a harder time getting someone off for cheap, as it was an international flight to a destination where few probably travel alone (thus making it harder for one person to agree to step off and wait until tomorrow).

In short, they did what they were required to do, but the woman was obviously nice and did you a favor by giving you what was likely as much as she could have.

You did very well here. If I were flying somewhere myself, I would love to have $1300 and a hotel room to wait until tomorrow, unless I had to be somewhere urgently.
    Sounds about right there Captain. And I guess the squeaky wheel does get the grease. Now if I can only figure how to get this to happen everytime I travel I'll unretire.

Load Metric
    This process Todd speaks of is "Taking a bump".

I was blessed with taking alot of trips to Florida during Ma. school break growing up. My dad who used to work for Pan Am on the first day available would lock in 3 seats for the Sunday night nonstop flight back to Boston, but would always tell the teacher I'd miss school on Monday. And like clockwork every stinking year My grandparents would drop us off at the airport and say "see you in about an hour". And again... like clockwork... my dad would check us in and ask if they "were looking for any volunteers". And every year we would get a flight the next AM and 3 free round trip tickets for anywhere in the 48 states. and every year we woul head back to my grandparents and get something to eat and I'd spend my last night in the pool.

I think my dad paid about a grand for 3 tickets sometime around 1982 and we flew back and forth to Florida on the same ticket/bump through 1990.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    This process Todd speaks of is "Taking a bump".

I was blessed with taking alot of trips to Florida during Ma. school break growing up. My dad who used to work for Pan Am on the first day available would lock in 3 seats for the Sunday night nonstop flight back to Boston, but would always tell the teacher I'd miss school on Monday. And like clockwork every stinking year My grandparents would drop us off at the airport and say "see you in about an hour". And again... like clockwork... my dad would check us in and ask if they "were looking for any volunteers". And every year we would get a flight the next AM and 3 free round trip tickets for anywhere in the 48 states. and every year we woul head back to my grandparents and get something to eat and I'd spend my last night in the pool.

I think my dad paid about a grand for 3 tickets sometime around 1982 and we flew back and forth to Florida on the same ticket/bump through 1990.
    Later that day, Daly's father sent young Daly on a pickpocketing mission with two other boys.

Oliver Twist

Load Metric

Sonny
    Where did you flee to? What country and why?

Load Metric
    The possibilities are as follows, in no particular order:

1. China
    2. Philippines
    3. Vietnam
    4. Thailand

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post

1. China
    2. Philippines
    3. Vietnam
    4. Thailand
    Vietnam very trendy destination.

$320 won't get you very far. Canada or Mexico. Thought I detected retirement. Someplace warm.

He now has $1300 looking for a home. import export ?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

1. China
    2. Philippines
    3. Vietnam
    4. Thailand
    None of those countries and can't say what country I live in now. Reason being my ex-wife haunts me 10 years after our divorce. But life is good and believe it or not safer here than in the United States.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

1. China
    2. Philippines
    3. Vietnam
    4. Thailand

$320 won't get you very far. Canada or Mexico. Thought I detected retirement. Someplace warm.

Yeah forgot about the 320 price. The furthest that could get you is canada or mexico.

Load Metric
    I would go with Costa Rica here. He could buy a wife for $320 there.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Yeah forgot about the 320 price. The furthest that could get you is canada or mexico.
    Reasonable thought. But with a good deal a person can travel further than that.

Load Metric

1. China
    2. Philippines
    3. Vietnam
    4. Thailand
    None of those countries and can't say what country I live in now. Reason being my ex-wife haunts me 10 years after our divorce. But life is good and believe it or not safer here than in the United States.
    You're leaving the country just so she won't get a piece of $1300? Little extreme but you gotta draw the f@cking line. I respect that.

Load Metric

Reasonable thought. But with a good deal a person can travel further than that.

You're a terrible liar.

Thread Information