Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: documentaries

Load Metric
    Ted Williams doc on Netflix was really good

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    The Legend of Cocaine Island, a Netflix doc, is entertaining.

If from the UK or Ireland:

I watched this when it first hit Netflix

Overall a pretty good watch

I really expected some bland "what if" scenarios that don't produce anything real.

I didn't want any spoilers, so I avoided Google searching about this beforehand.

If you haven't watched it yet, just watch it without looking for spoilers.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    dont know if this is the right place for it, but didn't know where to put it...

im a fan of vice's long formed stories/documentaries whatever you wanna call 'em...just finished watching this one while seeing red and green ping across the screen...if you are a financial guy/gal I think you'll enjoy this one...

Comments

Sanlmar:

Load Metric
    Sounds good GBCP. There was a lot of nonsense that went down and I’m sure Vice will have some fun with that.

Name:  23EAFB55-8CA4-41EB-88F5-3BF058151733.jpeg
Views: 826
Size:  30.2 KB

Curt Russell’s father, Bing Russell, bought a minor league team in Seattle. Really good tale. An independent league team of scrubs from open tryout kicks the shit out of the MLB affiliate minor league teams.

Story is told by Curt Russell who played on the team. Didn’t know he was an athlete.

Bing Russell was an actor too. He was most famous for Bonanza. Never knew that. Guy was pretty interesting. Loved baseball and produced a lot of training videos with his teenage kid, Curt Russell, demonstrating the moves. For me, this is tons of rich trivia.

Cool take.

Comments

MumblesBadly: *Kurt

Platinum
    Load Metric
    @san...it was pretty 'just the facts' piece...got a little vicey at the end (youll see what I mean)…

even though Paulson is a goldman guy I left this piece liking him...his most brilliant move was making every single bank take government money so that the market couldn't figure out who was close to fucked and who wasn't...these guys playing these $100K poker tourneys think they know how to play poker...fuck that...that was the greatest boss move in the biggest and most consequential poker game in the world...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    @san...it was pretty 'just the facts' piece...got a little vicey at the end (youll see what I mean)…

even though Paulson is a goldman guy I left this piece liking him...his most brilliant move was making every single bank take government money so that the market couldn't figure out who was close to fucked and who wasn't...these guys playing these $100K poker tourneys think they know how to play poker...fuck that...that was the greatest boss move in the biggest and most consequential poker game in the world...
    My favorite living author, Michael Lewis, did the Big Short. I was in love with the guy from the jump with Liars Poker.

Lewis used the following as the opening scene from Liars Poker. Poker was the essential metaphor for trading.
    One hand, one million dollars, no tears." So said John Gutfreund, chairman of Salomon Brothers, to bond trader heavyweight John Merriwether. The challenge to Merriwether was clear: One hand meant one game of Liar's Poker, one million dollars meant one million dollars and no tears meant that the loser could not complain about the loss.
    I have a fascination with the Housing Crisis prolly similar to others’ fascination with the JFK Assassination. It’s effect on my generation is as important as 9/11. To date: both the Tea Party, the populist movement and Trump can be credited.

While we are on politics.... the McCain story is how I will forever remember him. McCain’s legacy was fittingly destroyed by this documentary. He suspends his campaign and calls the meeting at the White House. I never heard that W.H. story. He was revealed to be significantly over his head and unfit to be President during such a tumultuous time. What a clown.

I’m no fan of Bush 43 but he came across as positively likable. A feat I could not have previously imagined. Candid, self effacing and even funny. He acknowledged he was not equipped to respond but he and Cheney nailed it with the Dream Team. Appointing those 3 saved democracy - wink.

The absence of the Vice narrator made this un Vice-like. Getting Sorkin (Too Big to Fail) and then in turn all the central characters and letting them speak was what made this work.

I dismissed this Vice story initially - you caught me at an impressionable moment GBCP. Loved it. Will watch again at some point.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    i loved the bush part of it...

paraphrasing...'wait you want to use government money to bail out these banks? fuck 'em let 'em drown'...loved that part of it...true capitalist speaking...sad that it had to be done in order to basically save civilization as we know it...he trusted his guy (Paulson)...gotta do that when you are over your head on things...takes more as a leader to do that than to think you know everything...

liars poker, brilliant book...

Load Metric
    Fun 30 for 30 that just premiered.

The Good, The Bad, The Hungry,

The rivalry between Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi.

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Enjoyed It Rep

Silver
    Load Metric
    https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/10365079

Timely as Clint Eastwood breaks the picket line in Georgia to film the Ballad of Richard Jewell.

He lived in my neighborhood - I remember the media frenzy, camped out around his apartment complex.

The ESPN piece is touching.

20+ years later and the world is filled with dumbasses that still watch and believe what the news tells them. It's unbelievable.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    My favorite living author, Michael Lewis, did the Big Short. I was in love with the guy from the jump with Liars Poker.

Lewis used the following as the opening scene from Liars Poker. Poker was the essential metaphor for trading.
    One hand, one million dollars, no tears." So said John Gutfreund, chairman of Salomon Brothers, to bond trader heavyweight John Merriwether. The challenge to Merriwether was clear: One hand meant one game of Liar's Poker, one million dollars meant one million dollars and no tears meant that the loser could not complain about the loss.
    I have a fascination with the Housing Crisis prolly similar to others’ fascination with the JFK Assassination. It’s effect on my generation is as important as 9/11. To date: both the Tea Party, the populist movement and Trump can be credited.

While we are on politics.... the McCain story is how I will forever remember him. McCain’s legacy was fittingly destroyed by this documentary. He suspends his campaign and calls the meeting at the White House. I never heard that W.H. story. He was revealed to be significantly over his head and unfit to be President during such a tumultuous time. What a clown.

I’m no fan of Bush 43 but he came across as positively likable. A feat I could not have previously imagined. Candid, self effacing and even funny. He acknowledged he was not equipped to respond but he and Cheney nailed it with the Dream Team. Appointing those 3 saved democracy - wink.

The absence of the Vice narrator made this un Vice-like. Getting Sorkin (Too Big to Fail) and then in turn all the central characters and letting them speak was what made this work.

I dismissed this Vice story initially - you caught me at an impressionable moment GBCP. Loved it. Will watch again at some point.
    off topic. i've meant to ask you for a long time. the next time wall street goes for the huge payday, what will be left smoking and where will the money come from? Daly, jump in also.

Load Metric
    Diego Maradona (HBO doc) was well worth the hype, loved it. 1980’s Naples looked WILD. ,Same director as the equally great Amy doc.

Going to check out his first doc, Senna, soon w/o nothing a thing about the subject.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: diego Maradona rep
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Started watching as a break from the cricket, without any expectations of anything other than a basic short travelogue thing, was surprised to find it hit right in the feels. There’s a bit near the end with a fake yak that matches Wagner’s Liebestod.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/t...91227/2022287/
    Last edited by Wiganer; 12-27-2019 at 06:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    IMAGINE having to take a break from watching cricket the most electrifying sport in the world

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    IMAGINE having to take a break from watching cricket the most electrifying sport in the world
    Yeah, I need to move on to some bigger highs, baseball maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post

No joke I had to take a break myself, between that, snooker and darts I almost got hypersomethingexcitment disorder.

Did I ment I also have bad teeth, like bland food, afternoon tea and god save the queen.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Michael, the last rock star(Hutchence)

On youtube, ten seconds in you know this is the nuts.

And I heard there doing a movie, ala Queen/Freddie

but this is the real McCoy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Time to get serious. Don't know how we never crossed paths but Apollo 11 is a good as it gets

The subject matter obviously is unbeatable. It boggles the mind to relive it.

But this doc is unique in that there is not a word of narration.

Everything was taken from original sources.

The words of Kennedy come at the end.

There is no time in history that Americans should be more

proud of.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The Mole: Undercover in North Korea

Name:  250px-The_Mole-_Undercover_in_North_Korea.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  17.8 KB

Its basically about a chef who spent 10 years undercover infiltrating NK's shady arms dealing.

I just downloaded this and will be watching it tonight - looks pretty good. It appears it just came out a few days ago.

There are 2 one hour episodes (im not sure yet if there will be more or not)

It is not available to stream in the US (unless you obv use a vpn), but there is a torrent available with plenty of seeders.

I also have a mega link:

Here is a straming link if you are in the UK:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...eries-1-part-1

Load Metric

Load Metric
    This documentary "The Donut King" was fascinating:

It's about a Cambodian refugee who built an empire of donut shops in California and started a trend of Cambodian-owned donut businesses.

There's a good mix of history on Cambodia and the rag-to-riches story of this guy Ted Ngoy. There's also some Vegas and degen gambling content (ruh roh!).

When you're done watching the movie, read Ted Ngoy's wikipedia page which fills in some of the stuff they glossed over in the documentary (they definitely sanitize his life story quite a bit).

I learned a lot about the donut culture in California. You guys love your donuts. How accurate is it that all these donut shops are owned by Cambodians? Is it normal for commuters to eat donuts every morning on the way to work? Tim Horton's dominates the market in Canada but we mostly go there for coffee and other food items.

Thread Information