Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: documentaries

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Just saw "Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond" on Netflix. Excellent. And peels back a bit of the crazy onion that is Jim Carrey.

My review is in the Netflix thread. It was eh.
    Can somebody who isn’t an outcast of this forum tell me if this is worthwhile or not?
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

My review is in the Netflix thread. It was eh.
    Can somebody who isn’t an outcast of this forum tell me if this is worthwhile or not?
    It is an actor at the peak of simultaneously seeing thru all the fame bullshit as well as believing his own bullshit. Insightful in a lot of ways, ridiculous in just as many. Worth watching, even if you kill it half way thru.

Comments

PLOL: Ty

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    It is an actor at the peak of simultaneously seeing thru all the fame bullshit as well as believing his own bullshit. Insightful in a lot of ways, ridiculous in just as many. Worth watching, even if you kill it half way thru.
    I said somebody who isn’t an outcast

Comments

Crowe Diddly: yikes.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    9/10 Watched the first hour, it's good.

9/10 Every American should watch this.

That really puts it in perspective.
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 12-20-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Load Metric
    Normally I turn to Krypt in these matters but I need a review from someone who was alive in Shandling’s prime.

I suffer enough disappointment and I’m on the ragged edge. I just can’t risk going into this blind.

It does look really good.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Normally I turn to Krypt in these matters but I need a review from someone who was alive in Shandling’s prime.

I suffer enough disappointment and I’m on the ragged edge. I just can’t risk going into this blind.

although I can guarantee you point blank that this is god, it will likely also be fairly depressing.

but just the footage of The Larry Sanders Show makes this mandatory viewing, like point blank.

Comments

hongkonger: co-sign
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

although I can guarantee you point blank that this is god, it will likely also be fairly depressing.

but just the footage of The Larry Sanders Show makes this mandatory viewing, like point blank.
    You gonna watch?

Depressing is not a deal killer.

I know nothing about Shandling as a person. I don’t even know if he is donkdown. Truthfully, depressing piques my interest. Dull and stupid - that’s what I fear.

I will take your guarantee & offer a quick review.

Was he ever on Cavett? Ha

Load Metric
    exactly no chance i dont watch this because im a garry shandling completist, as long as The Larry Sanders Show is involved.

its depressing likely because he actually had a very difficult career. his greatest, funniest, most brilliant accomplishment, The Larry Sanders Show, was based on two dynamics; showbiz is fucking terrible and the types of people who become stars are fucking terrible. these werent pulled out of a hat.

there was a lot of pain in his life and he died much too soon.

again, ill be watching it.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Zen Diaries was a 10

4½ hours about a Jewish self obsessed neurotic - and we aren’t talking about Druff’s radio show.

It was 2 episodes and the 4½ hours length stunned me. Even Tyde’s biography couldn’t fill 4½ hours. Nevertheless, I was completely gripped from beginning to end.

Life got in the way of being a Shandling completist myself. Seeing that there is a thread that bound all his work together was fascinating.

My girlfriend moved in with another guy, so I dumped her, because that’s where I draw the line
    Surprised me that he lived on a steady diet of dick jokes. Khalwat would appreciate

The insights into the 70’s/80’s comedy farm system was a huge bonus.

Tortured, neurotic, lonely. Using comedy to gain self understanding.

The stories about turning down the Tonight Show after a lifetime of obsessing about even just appearing there was unbelievable. More than anything it proved the devotion and unwillingness to compromise his art. Leno as much as said he was more willing to grind it out. God mode stuff

His relationship with his agent/manager was fascinating too.

Shandling was an asshole too. His good friend and protege, Judd Apatow, who did this doc was not always kind and was honest about Shandling’s faults. Shandling wasn’t Weinstein but he was definitely a product of his times in entertainment and treated women badly. That was noteworthy

I am terrible at reviews. I just know what I like and I loved this.

Sonatine, I was trying to drum up a conversation yesterday with my daughter about the FaceBook thing. I was interested to hear the Amazon tech guy’s response. She immediately deferred, as if bored by it all, and derailed the conversation by saying that the Google & Amazon guys are into the book “Snow Crash”.

I was a few drinks into the night and didn’t quite follow her pitch. In the clarity of this morning, I took a quick look. The most interesting thing I saw was it was written in 1992. Something prescient there seems to resonate with them now. Hell, most of them weren’t even born then so I am intrigued.

What gives?

Comments

BetCheckBet:

Crowe Diddly: Kevin Nealon's eulogy during final credits were a perfect ending
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-02-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Load Metric
    Snow Crash is awful but it gets a huge pass because its legitimately visionary.

It's just about exploiting undefined access/conduits being created by a tech revolution. In the book it turns into a way to essentially 'crash' peoples minds remotely, like bricking them. It's very poorly written but otherwise eye opening.

A lot of people with poor taste in literature consider it transcendent.

Comments

Sanlmar: I genuflect in your direction.

Load Metric
    ^^^

This folks is how you write a review. I legit laughed out loud.

The date still stuns me. Snow Crash - the static of a broken television set is something she has never seen.

Sometimes you gotta plow through something just to connect with the current culture. God help me, there is this thing Roseanne to deal with now.

You are freerolling recommendations here and I’m in. Definitely gonna steal the book cause it just seems technically appropriate.

Load Metric
    thats such a funny revelation honestly, a whole generation has never seen snow on a tv screen. so true.

Load Metric
    thats such a funny revelation honestly, a whole generation has never seen snow on a tv screen. so true.

Comments

big dick: feel like rubbing on out for old times sake

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Bringing Back Memories Rep

MumblesBadly: One of my favorites...

Load Metric
    I don't mean to upset tine but I enjoyed Snow Crash as fiction. Privatization of security, extreme gated communities, exploration of Fedland, skate tech, Aleutian warrior, living in a storage locker, rat things, Mr. Lee and Enki somehow woven into a two day read. When a character downloads software into a new cycle and then software with the exact same name is released into the real world ~ 15 years later.

Comments

Sanlmar: Feeling more comfortable with how I will spend my time
    “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”
    Stephen Hawking

Load Metric

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Richard Turner, national treasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=JV2OIAJkUuE

Load Metric
    Drove by this place earlier today. Very spooky....

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    the hope was always the blue screen where it was dark blue background and the chick was lighter blue...never knew when it would go back to the scrambled bullshit so you had to tug one out in like 5 seconds before the scramble came back...

kids these days can just go to google and find chicks doing all sorts of weird shit in under 2 seconds...

Load Metric

Comments

Crowe Diddly: reptilian shape-shifting rep

Load Metric
    You fat turds need to watch the Magic Pill.

Thread Information