Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insider news regarding legal online poker in non-Nevada states

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Insider news regarding legal online poker in non-Nevada states

California: Indian tribes are split whether or not they want legal online poker. However, even if this happens, they and the state are generally in agreement that they do not want to share player pools with other states. The reasoning for this is California's large player pool due to its large (and poker-loving) population, so they don't want to revenue-share with smaller states. So don't expect to play wsop.com in California any time soon.

New Jersey: There is a "universal launch date" set for all New Jersey rooms, so none get a first-to-market edge on the others. That date is November 23. It is unknown how many rooms will launch in NJ on November 23, but none will launch before that. It is likely that cooperation with Nevada will follow, sometime in 2014.

Load Metric
    I wish they would hurry up already, We know that online poker will be legal in almost every state one day, I don't know how much more i can take of the 400+ pound dealers at palm beach putting out 7 hands per 1/2 hour

Comments

ThreeBet: lol
    -Allergic to the struggle

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    California: Indian tribes are split whether or not they want legal online poker. However, even if this happens, they and the state are generally in agreement that they do not want to share player pools with other states. The reasoning for this is California's large player pool due to its large (and poker-loving) population, so they don't want to revenue-share with smaller states. So don't expect to play wsop.com in California any time soon.

New Jersey: There is a "universal launch date" set for all New Jersey rooms, so none get a first-to-market edge on the others. That date is November 23. It is unknown how many rooms will launch in NJ on November 23, but none will launch before that. It is likely that cooperation with Nevada will follow, sometime in 2014.

I'll be there on November 23 & will do a trip report.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    More California online poker info, from the same person:

The pro-online-poker advocates in California want to control the nation's online poker, and reject Nevada's attempt to become the leader. California not only will refuse to join Nevada's attempt at building an interstate network, but rather want to attempt to create their own network where they are the leaders.

To put this in context of the original online poker model, Nevada wants to be the "network" and other states to be the "skins", with Nevada also operating the flagship skin on their own network. California is in conflict, because they also want to be the network and make everyone else the skins.

Nevada thinks it has the clout to be the network because they have the most experience regulating gambling, and California thinks they have the clout because they have the largest population in the US.

Nevada does have an advantage in that they are already up and running, while California's gambling interests cannot decide if they want online poker at all, and it may be awhile until a decision is reached.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    More California online poker info, from the same person:

The pro-online-poker advocates in California want to control the nation's online poker, and reject Nevada's attempt to become the leader. California not only will refuse to join Nevada's attempt at building an interstate network, but rather want to attempt to create their own network where they are the leaders.

To put this in context of the original online poker model, Nevada wants to be the "network" and other states to be the "skins", with Nevada also operating the flagship skin on their own network. California is in conflict, because they also want to be the network and make everyone else the skins.

Nevada thinks it has the clout to be the network because they have the most experience regulating gambling, and California thinks they have the clout because they have the largest population in the US.

Nevada does have an advantage in that they are already up and running, while California's gambling interests cannot decide if they want online poker at all, and it may be awhile until a decision is reached.
    I don't blame California for their position. I heard a stat that when Stars and FTP were operating in the U.S. 50 % of the U.S. players were from California. But they have a LONG LONG way to go here. As you mentioned nevada is up and running and it is only a matter of time before states start hopping in

Platinum
    Load Metric
    As a non-American its my understanding the California economy is in the toilet. Sounds very niggardly to be making demands to run things when they cant get anything else right and already behind the 8-ball.

Comments

shortbuspoker: -1 misuse of word rep

4BET: Agree, The state is bust and don't know how to run anything
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryland View Post

I'll be there on November 23 & will do a trip report.
    Bad idea. The November 23rd date has been known for a long time, but it's not set in stone. NJ has been running behind schedule with approving things (no site or entity has been approved yet). Most people believe the November 23rd date will be pushed back. Probably not for a super long time, but December/January is more likely. Hopefully they'll have something up and running before the Super Bowl (which will be in NJ). They also are working on improved geo-location services since, unlike NV, so many people live right near the border and they don't want to exclude them from play. They also want people from NYC to be able to cross the border and be able to play in Hoboken/Jersey City/Edgewater/etc.

But if some sort of NJCOOP is held, I'll probably fly to Hoboken to play and then sight-see in NYC.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post
    As a non-American its my understanding the California economy is in the toilet. Sounds very niggardly to be making demands to run things when they cant get anything else right and already behind the 8-ball.
    In GTA 5 maybe, read actual news.
    California is back in business.

Load Metric
    I don't understand how Cali doesn't profit from a rev share program where you get the taxation based on geo-location or ID by residency. If they are getting 50% of the signups, the State would get that portion of it, like State sales tax. How fucking retarded are these people?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post
    re: California in toilet--the state government ran a $850million budget surplus this year, and the governor, Jerry Brown, is trying to hold the money in reserve rather than spend it...so there isn't pressure right now to look for new sources of funding to pay down debt; not a factor helpful to online poker.

The increase came from income tax increases on the wealthy, sales tax increase on everyone, individual gain income gain triggered by federal capital gains tax increases along with spending cuts from reduced services. The budget surplus is the first in more than decade for California. In this second go-round as governor Jerry Brown has run true to his prior track record as a social liberal but a fiscal conservative.

Druff, in 2010 you were all gloom with the prospect of Brown getting elected and predicted a tax & spend regime by Brown & the democrats; its turning out to be tax and save...its time for you to eat a Crow sandwich, and your extra tomatoes will not government funded.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    The increase came from income tax increases on the wealthy, sales tax increase on everyone, individual gain income gain triggered by federal capital gains tax increases along with spending cuts from reduced services.
    So they taxed the hell out of people and created a surplus, so what? Should they be applauded for taxing the hell out of people and just not spending. Any state could probably fix their budget problems if they taxed as high as California. Taxing people to death is not a positive. I'd rather being holding on to my money rather than the state holding it in the budget surplus they created by taking more of what is mine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post
    The increase came from income tax increases on the wealthy, sales tax increase on everyone, individual gain income gain triggered by federal capital gains tax increases along with spending cuts from reduced services.
    So they taxed the hell out of people and created a surplus, so what? Should they be applauded for taxing the hell out of people and just not spending. Any state could probably fix their budget problems if they taxed as high as California. Taxing people to death is not a positive. I'd rather being holding on to my money rather than the state holding it in the budget surplus they created by taking more of what is mine.
    California's unemployment rate was 12.3% when Jerry Brown took office. It's 8.6% today.

It's weird how economic predictions made by Conservatives are pretty much always wrong.

Under "anti-business" Obama, the DJIA has gone from 7400 to 15300.

Comments

manowar: moron

ftpjesus: DOW is up because value of US DOLLAR is less. In order to keep the scales balanced the true valuations based on "dollars" must necessarily be increased to offset the falling dollar. Econ 101.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post

California's unemployment rate was 12.3% when Jerry Brown took office. It's 8.6% today.

It's weird how economic predictions made by Conservatives are pretty much always wrong.

What does that have anything to do with what I said?

I love how the politician doesn't matter if unemployment is going up or the stock market crashed, but when the numbers gone down in unemployment and the market goes up we credit the politicians that we support.

Also, I'd like to point out that the DJIA was going to increase no matter what. If it didn't we would have all been in serious trouble.

I don't have the time or energy to get into an argument with you about this. You are the worst of all people on this forum no matter whether they are liberal or conservative.

Comments

ftpjesus: [plain]Unemployment also drops when people give the fuck up and take freebies from the government the assholes quit counting ya when you aint collecting an Unemployement check. Reality is True Unemployed and Underemployed have risen due to Obamacare[

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    F#ck California. Those idiots from my former great state can't even wipe their #ss right. WTF makes them think they can run poker right.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    F#ck California. Those idiots from my former great state can't even wipe their #ss right. WTF makes them think they can run poker right.
    They'd probably start taxing the winners and giving subsidies to the losers.

Comments

son of lockman:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    They'd probably start taxing the winners and giving subsidies to the losers.
    LOL

Load Metric
    FTPJesus-
    DOW is up because value of US DOLLAR is less. In order to keep the scales balanced the true valuations based on "dollars" must necessarily be increased to offset the falling dollar. Econ 101.
    The current USD exchange rate with the Euro and Yen are almost exactly where they were in early 2009. What the fuck are you talking about?

Load Metric
    So they taxed the hell out of people and created a surplus, so what? Should they be applauded for taxing the hell out of people and just not spending.
    No, Jerry Brown should be appaulded for breaking the cycle of ever increasing government spending and tax increases...he did this while paying down the debt run up by previous administrations--the raising taxes was needed because of the mess left for him to fix...but by holding onto the surplus, California does not have to cave to promoters with dubious promises of economic benefits from their self serving "development projects" (offshore oil wells, taking away beachfront, forrests or farmland to real estate development, or even allowing out of state management of online gaming.)

The other point I wanted to make concerned Druff's commentary on Brown's 2010 election...Druff's words were not based on knowledge of Brown's record but more likely the propaganda of another rich white middle aged over-confident conservative that has a radio show (Rush Limbaugh)
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 09-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Do you see what happens each time the fed says they are going to taper off QE? Stock market heads right down the crapper...so the fed then says, "just kidding" and back up it goes, I hope to be smart enough to be in all cash when the bill comes due

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post

Altough I believe Jerry Brown is an honest man and once made a fantistic proposal for a national sales tax California's problems are staggering.

In 2015 the sh#t hits the fan. That's when between 2015 and 2030 California is commited to start paying $900 billion in pensions. And just where is this money going to come from in one of the most heavily taxed states in the nation? One reason why I moved out of the country among others.

Thread Information