Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast Food Workers striking and claiming they are worth $15 an hour

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Fast Food Workers striking and claiming they are worth $15 an hour

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100996783

Video on that page claims they want $15 an hour which is asinine and if they actually got paid that then the increase in cost of overly priced food would be dropped down to the consumer.

Don't get me wrong minimum wage is a big joke but still huge lolz at these workers thinking are worth $15 an hour.

Just imagining fast food workers actually getting paid this much would mean all jobs under $15 will be striking/protesting and then everything we purchase will go up throwing the economy more out of wack for those with much better jobs.

Fast food strike gets super-sized over wages
    Published: Thursday, 29 Aug 2013 | 12:56 PM ET
    By: Jeff Cox | Senior Writer

The battle to boost the minimum wage escalated Thursday when thousands of workers at fast-food restaurants in 50 U.S. cities walked off the job to demand a "decent" wage.

From San Diego to New York, workers stopped flipping burgers, frying fries, and slathering on secret sauce in what organizers called the largest strikes against the nation's fast food companies ever.

"You're trying to go up and you're just going down," said protester Shantel Walker, 31, of Brooklyn, who makes $7.25 working at a Papa John's in Manhattan. "All of us are in the same financial crunch. We're trying to take care of our families and our livelihood."

The strikes mark the latest salvo in a nearly year-long battle to get not only higher wages but also an opportunity to unionize without facing retaliation from their employers. The workers' ire, too, is at the very heart of a politicized debate to raise the country's minimum wage that eventually may be decided in Washington.

Labor Secretary Thomas Perez told The Associated Press that the worker strikes were a sign of the need to raise the minimum wage. "For all too many people working minimum wage jobs, the rungs on the ladder of opportunity are feeling further and further apart," Perez said.

At the core of the workers' demands with the $200 billion fast food industry is salary starting at $15 an hour from the current $7.25 an hour minimum wage and the $8.94 median wage for front-end workers.

Workers mobilized in cities from Alameda, Calif., to West Haven, Conn. and across the nation, including several demonstrations in New York City. To date, strikes have been held in one city or the other, or in regions, but nothing like Thursday's national push involving hundreds of restaurants.

About 200 workers marched through the midtown Manhattan McDonald's on Thursday morning, and more gathered downtown in the Financial District. As the streets became more crowded with protesters beating drums and blowing loud whistles, police struggled to keep traffic moving.

The strike comes as more and more fast food workers making minimum wage are not teenagers, but adults trying to support families, particularly since the Great Recession. Only 16 percent of fast food industry jobs now go to teens, down from 25 percent a decade ago. More than 42 percent of restaurant and fast-food employees over the age of 25 have at least some college education, including 753,000 with a bachelor's degree or higher, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Janul Dixon, 35, came out on Thursday to offer his support to the workers. He used to work at Wendy's for a low wage, but has since found work as an exterminator. "They need to allow people to make enough to support their family," he said. "In New York everything is going up but wages are not."

The National Restaurant Association has countered that only about 5 percent of fast-food workers earn the minimum wage. Other defenders of the industry note that increased wage costs will be passed onto consumers.

"The restaurant industry provides opportunity to over 13 million Americans with jobs that meet critical needs within our economy. We welcome a national discussion on wages, but it should be based on facts," said Scott DeFife, the association's executive vice president of policy and government affairs. "The restaurant industry is the nation's second largest private sector employer and our industry is an industry of opportunity."

(Read more: Minimum wage hike: Just what the economy ordered?)
    Fast food workers strike nationwide
    Thousands of restaurant employees are staging a walkout today, calling for a major increase in the minimum wage, reports CNBC's Jackie DeAngelis.

"Nine out of ten salaried restaurant workers, including owners and managers, started as hourly workers. The fact is, only 5 percent of restaurant employees earn the minimum wage, and those that do are predominantly working part-time and half are teenagers," DeFife added. "Restaurant jobs teach valuable skills and a strong work ethic that are useful for workers throughout their professional careers."

McDonald's, which has 34,000 restaurants across the globe., was quick to defend its salaries. "McDonald's aims to offer competitive pay and benefits to our employees. We provide training and professional development for all of those who wish to take advantage of those opportunities," the company said in a statement. "Our history is full of examples of individuals who worked their first job with McDonald's and went on to successful careers both within and outside of McDonald's." The chain posted $5.5 billion in profits last year on revenues of $27.5 billion.

Thursday's strike was expected to be "the largest attempt at worker organizing in this industry ever" due to support from the Service Workers International Union, and grassroots efforts from community groups, local politicians and the clergy, said Tsedeye Gebreselassie, an attorney at the National Employment Law Project.

"The workers are responding to total failure on behalf of the federal government to raise the minimum wage to keep up with inflation and the cost of living," Gebreselassie said.

Organizers stressed the importance of the strike spreading to Southern states.

"The South has always been the model for low wage employment, from slavery to the Jim Crow laws, to the present," said Dorian Warren, an assistant professor of political science at Columbia University who has published work on labor organizing and inequality. "It's also the most anti-union part of the country, so the fact that workers feel empowered enough to take collective action is enormous."

Strikers complain that while revenue is up about 13 percent at fast-food restaurants as of August, it's not being passed on to the workers.

All the media attention paid to the strikers Thursday will surely re-ignite the minimum wage debate, in which opponents say higher employment costs will mean fewer jobs and higher prices for customers. In The Wall Street Journal on Thursday, the conservative Employment Policies Institute ran a full-page ad with a picture of a robot making pancakes, warning that higher wages would mean "fewer entry-level jobs and more automated alternatives."

"You can either raise prices and lose customers, or (automate) those jobs," said Michael Saltsman, EPI's research director. "The idea that restaurants are rolling in the money is not representative of the situation franchisees face."

—By CNBC's Jeff Cox. Follow him @JeffCoxCNBCcom on Twitter. Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

Strikers complain that while revenue is up about 13 percent at fast-food restaurants as of August, it's not being passed on to the workers.

What a bunch of fucking idiots. Fast food is a special animal versus regular retail type establishments due to the majority of the restaurants being franchised. I'm not saying that franchisees do not make coin, but the amount that they have to kick up to the parent company has to put them on narrow margins.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post

What a bunch of fucking idiots. Fast food is a special animal versus regular retail type establishments due to the majority of the restaurants being franchised. I'm not saying that franchisees do not make coin, but the amount that they have to kick up to the parent company has to put them on narrow margins.

lol plus isnt minimum wage at like 7-8 bucks? So they want DOUBLE what they are making now for flipping burgers?

I get that minimum wage is shit which is why you do it in High School or as a college job and not past that point. I worked at trader joes in College and Safeway as a bag boy when I was 15. The idea is to gets work experience to move up the ladder. If you cant move up the ladder from flipping burgers then you really should just noose and save society the burden that will come if you pro create with your shitty genes.

Comments

Pooh: Tru dat

Platinum
    Load Metric

a little off topic...

I looked at the franchise shit...besides being beholden to the parent company's whims and shit, they charge your ass an arm and a leg to be in the system...so to have to double the wages of your employees, you are gonna be fucked sideways...

I think to even be considered for a dunkin donuts franchise you have to have upwards of 500K of net worth and it might even be upwards of 750K...just remember it was a shitton of money...

Load Metric
    Franchisees definitely get fucked from time to time. I delivered for Dominos for a while when I was in college and one of the corporate people came down one day and told our owner that he had to buy around $40K in new front signage from them or they would revoke his franchise. One thing I can say though is that the food cost in pizza places is actually quite low.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

a little off topic...

I looked at the franchise shit...besides being beholden to the parent company's whims and shit, they charge your ass an arm and a leg to be in the system...so to have to double the wages of your employees, you are gonna be fucked sideways...

I think to even be considered for a dunkin donuts franchise you have to have upwards of 500K of net worth and it might even be upwards of 750K...just remember it was a shitton of money...
    yep, and places like McD's you need 1 million. FYI it has to be cash that isn't borrowed.

Load Metric
    Lol I know people with college degrees who aren't making $15 an hour. My buddy told me he just applied for a job that required a degree and the pay was like $13 an hour. This could be classified as "niggas do dumb things".

Comments

vegas1369: True dat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Franchisees definitely get fucked from time to time. I delivered for Dominos for a while when I was in college and one of the corporate people came down one day and told our owner that he had to buy around $40K in new front signage from them or they would revoke his franchise. One thing I can say though is that the food cost in pizza places is actually quite low.
    sounds about right...I heard of DQ franchises that made it mandatory that their franchisees upgrade their establishments to include orange julius as part of their operation...think it cost like 75K for that upgrade...that's a shitton of blizzards...

that MCD shit is crazy...definitely right, cant borrow it...I do remember that when I was looking at DD and DQ...I mean at the end of the day it ends up being like owning a house because of all the capital you have to plunk in for upgrades you put into it...

theres gotta be money in it, but sounds like a pain in the balls to have to deal with the shit that is outside of your business and really outside of your control...

Load Metric
    As Judge Smeals said, "the world needs ditch diggers too" If everyone moved up the ladder and was a great worker there would be nobody left to do menial jobs. I have no issue with people who are 40 and work a register at McDonalds or bag groceries; they're better for society than people who do nothing at all. I've always felt that if you are willing to work 40 hours/week you should be able to live on it. $15/hour is ridiculous, but if they are simply "starting high" than it's a great strategy.

Minimum wage is way too low and my feeling on it is that it's tied directly to subsidies; considering most people can do nothing and collect double this amount through subsidies and govt programs. I saw recently that in MA you can get $23/hour doing nothing if you take advantage of everything offered. So what we have now is the taxpayers subsidizing layabouts and minimum wage earners with our tax dollars. Make the companies pay them more so we don't have to give them $200/month in food stamps. It's no different than the way the restaurant industry subsidizes waiter pay through the customers. One way or another you pay for it, just like the "phony" price of gas at the pump.

I'd like to see govt subsidies cut back to where a person never receives more than $300/week (tax free) and I'd like to see minimum wage bumped to the $10-$12 range depending on the state (So the fed govt could make it $10, and then certain states could enact their own minimum wage at $12). that would give every able bodied person a real reason to go out and get a job
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Franchises are typically money pits.

A small percentage of them work out well and make bank.

Some scratch out an existence and break even or make a little money.

Most fail, and are then sold to some other sucker.

Franchisees are stuck with some really big up-front costs (known as "build out costs"). You could say that all restaurants are stuck with these, but that's not true. If you buy "Joe's burger shop", you can change the name and keep the same layout and equipment. That doesn't work with franchises. You need to build it specifically to the corporation's requirements, usually imitating the look of other locations, and as already mentioned, also need expensive outdoor signage that is also up to their standards.

Then, after these 6-figure build-out costs, you are also stuck paying high monthly costs for advertising and other required franchisee fees.

So after all that, you STILL need to get enough business to make a profit while buying the food/drink (again, from the corporation) and paying employees.

This is all very tough. Unless your store is constantly busy, you will either lose money or make money so slowly that it will take 20 years to break even on the build-out costs.

I actually looked into opening a Five Guys franchise in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles (before one eventually opened up there later). Decided against it. As popular as Five Guys can be, it looked like it had a bigger potential for failure than to make a lot of money for me.

Franchises also suck for the consumer, as well. This is because each individual restaurant owner only cares about his immediate profits, and doesn't give a shit about the overall brand. This leads to higher prices than corporate stores, poor customer service, and nickel-and-diming such as charging you for sauce or extra ketchup. Some even refuse to give the customer more than 2 napkins. So basically the customer goes to what he thinks is a trusted brand, and he gets a substandard experience because the franchise owner is pinching pennies and/or is an asshole.

My "tomatoes on the side" debacle at Subway, where a franchise owner told me that I could have a tomato on my sandwich but could not have that same tomato left on the side, was a great example of this. This particular owner was paranoid that people were collecting "topping vegetables" and using them as makeshift salads, so he took it to an extreme and banned anything being on the side, even if it normally comes on the sandwich.

Basically I try to steer clear of franchises when I can, because they are usually terrible.

Load Metric
    As soon as they did this by me the first thing I thought was be careful for what you ask for. If they started paying Mcds employees $15 hr then they would all be replaced by people with better educations and work history.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    not saying everybody with 7 figures in the bank has good business sense, but you would figure if you had that much net worth you wouldn't feel the need to go through all the franchise bullshit to scrape together a slim profit margin...

whats the point of owning a business if you have almost no control over it...im sure C$ would say that...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Franchisees are stuck with some really big up-front costs (known as "build out costs"). You could say that all restaurants are stuck with these, but that's not true. If you buy "Joe's burger shop", you can change the name and keep the same layout and equipment. That doesn't work with franchises. You need to build it specifically to the corporation's requirements, usually imitating the look of other locations, and as already mentioned, also need expensive outdoor signage that is also up to their standards.

Then, after these 6-figure build-out costs, you are also stuck paying high monthly costs for advertising and other required franchisee fees.

So after all that, you STILL need to get enough business to make a profit while buying the food/drink (again, from the corporation) and paying employees.

This is all very tough. Unless your store is constantly busy, you will either lose money or make money so slowly that it will take 20 years to break even on the build-out costs.

I actually looked into opening a Five Guys franchise in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles (before one eventually opened up there later). Decided against it. As popular as Five Guys can be, it looked like it had a bigger potential for failure than to make a lot of money for me.

Franchises also suck for the consumer, as well. This is because each individual restaurant owner only cares about his immediate profits, and doesn't give a shit about the overall brand. This leads to higher prices than corporate stores, poor customer service, and nickel-and-diming such as charging you for sauce or extra ketchup. Some even refuse to give the customer more than 2 napkins. So basically the customer goes to what he thinks is a trusted brand, and he gets a substandard experience because the franchise owner is pinching pennies and/or is an asshole.

My "tomatoes on the side" debacle at Subway, where a franchise owner told me that I could have a tomato on my sandwich but could not have that same tomato left on the side, was a great example of this. This particular owner was paranoid that people were collecting "topping vegetables" and using them as makeshift salads, so he took it to an extreme and banned anything being on the side, even if it normally comes on the sandwich.

Basically I try to steer clear of franchises when I can, because they are usually terrible.
    Honestly, you don't see many fast food franchises go out of business unless the location is just terrible. I've seen one Mcd's goes out of business in my life (directly across from ESPN in Bristol, Ct) and most Burger Kings where I live now are DD. I can't see Subway being very lucrative and I know most pizza places profit margins are 18-24%. 10K a week is pretty good so making $1800-2400 per week before any business loans is not very good imo, given the stress associated with owning the business, mostly having your employees walk demanding more money like this article.

Mcd's generally earn 100-150k per year with a working owner. That's terrible considering they require 1M liquid assets just to consider you as an owner. I have a customer who owned several of these and made mad bank but he did things his way instead of what Mcd's wanted him to do. They frown upon this but really can't do a whole lot. When I say he did things his way I mean things like keeping more registers open and shit like that. Mcd's wanted him to have like 2 open and this guy had bus loads of people coming in and had like 5 registers going at all times. He was big on customer service and it paid off for him.

I have another customer who bought into Five Guys. They make you buy an entire territory with a guarantee to open either 4 or 5 stores I forget. Build out costs are deep six figures per store but this guy was doing over 20k a week per location. He opened up the required stores and then sold the entire portfolio and made good money doing it. The stress was too much he said.

Basically, if you are going to buy into a franchise make it a Mcd's or Duncan Donuts. You get what you pay for. That's why anybody can own a sub shop...they aren't going to make you any money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

Honestly, you don't see many fast food franchises go out of business unless the location is just terrible. I've seen one Mcd's goes out of business in my life (directly across from ESPN in Bristol, Ct) and most Burger Kings where I live now are DD. I can't see Subway being very lucrative and I know most pizza places profit margins are 18-24%. 10K a week is pretty good so making $1800-2400 per week before any business loans is not very good imo, given the stress associated with owning the business, mostly having your employees walk demanding more money like this article.

Mcd's generally earn 100-150k per year with a working owner. That's terrible considering they require 1M liquid assets just to consider you as an owner. I have a customer who owned several of these and made mad bank but he did things his way instead of what Mcd's wanted him to do. They frown upon this but really can't do a whole lot. When I say he did things his way I mean things like keeping more registers open and shit like that. Mcd's wanted him to have like 2 open and this guy had bus loads of people coming in and had like 5 registers going at all times. He was big on customer service and it paid off for him.

I have another customer who bought into Five Guys. They make you buy an entire territory with a guarantee to open either 4 or 5 stores I forget. Build out costs are deep six figures per store but this guy was doing over 20k a week per location. He opened up the required stores and then sold the entire portfolio and made good money doing it. The stress was too much he said.

Basically, if you are going to buy into a franchise make it a Mcd's or Duncan Donuts. You get what you pay for. That's why anybody can own a sub shop...they aren't going to make you any money.
    In my younger years I worked on the "opening crew" for D'Angelos, which basically means I travelled to new franchise stores and helped them launch. Buying one of these things probably takes 10 years off of your life, as every owner was either A) Paranoid about the smallest margins or B) working 90 hours per week. Of the 20 or so franchise stores I can recall, I only remember one happy owner
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A lot of the franchises you don't see close might be selling to other owners. As a customer, you are unlikely to recognize this occurring unless you go there all the time and see a different owner around.

It is true that being a "working owner" is a way to cut costs and make it more likely you'll see profit (as you don't have a manager to pay), but I can imagine this is very stressful and shitty. All of the franchise owners I encounter are either assholes or just look very stressed even if they aren't assholes.

Load Metric
    A lot of the franchises you don't see close might be selling to other owners. As a customer, you are unlikely to recognize this occurring unless you go there all the time and see a different owner around.

It is true that being a "working owner" is a way to cut costs and make it more likely you'll see profit (as you don't have a manager to pay), but I can imagine this is very stressful and shitty. All of the franchise owners I encounter are either assholes or just look very stressed even if they aren't assholes.
    Don't get me wrong. There is no chance I want any part of owner a franchise. A McDonald's would be the only one I'd consider and it would be an established one. I used to deliver pizzas and I saw what the stress could do first hand. I own my own small business with zero employees and the stress gets to me some days. I can't even imagine having to deal with employees on top of that.

Load Metric
    I think a self storage business would be nice to own.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

Don't get me wrong. There is no chance I want any part of owner a franchise. A McDonald's would be the only one I'd consider and it would be an established one. I used to deliver pizzas and I saw what the stress could do first hand. I own my own small business with zero employees and the stress gets to me some days. I can't even imagine having to deal with employees on top of that.
    McDonald's franchises are licenses to print money. I know a guy who has like 5 of them, starting with one and just reinvesting all the money he made. Fucker is filthy rich now.

He works his ass off though, I would never do that shit.

Load Metric
    Owning a Tim Horton's in Canada is like owning a tree that grows golden geese & these golden geese have diarrhea & shit cash.

I imagine it would be stressful though trying to staff them.

Comments

Indyrick: I need a Golden Goose....
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

McDonald's franchises are licenses to print money. I know a guy who has like 5 of them, starting with one and just reinvesting all the money he made. Fucker is filthy rich now.

He works his ass off though, I would never do that shit.
    I can see this is you can afford multiple locations. Then all you need are good management teams for each location and you would essentially be acting as a DM/Owner. This would be much less of a headache than being an Owner/Operator at a single location putting in 60+ hours a week.

Thread Information