hai guys, is this true?

Comments

anonamoose: kevin spacey rep

Banned
    Load Metric
    Yes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Interesting points brought up by Spacey.

I agree with some of them.

His argument about shows "not needing a pilot" to be picked up by the network is mostly fallacious and impractical. It sounds great in theory to talk about "saving $400 million" by not having TV pilots produced that aren't picked up, but he's not providing a reasonable alternative to the pilot procedure. What is he expecting? That networks just pick up programs based upon a few scripts and a general description of the direction of the show? Scripts are only half of the picture. You need to see the way a show actually plays out in front of you before you can judge it. I understand his point that pilots rarely represent the best a show has to offer, and in most cases the show needs to mature before it finds itself. However, who is going to pay for this? Networks can't just buy every show presented to them, and hope for the best. Spacey was lucky that Netflix was interested in picking up his show without a pilot because big names were behind the program. If Kevin Spacey was a nobody, his show wouldn't have been picked up by Netflix, either. So basically he's advocating that famous people like him get a free pass to have shows picked up sight unseen, while those without notoriety will struggle more. I don't like that.

He also discussed TV "binging" -- referring to people being able to watch an entire season at once, and abandoning the once-per-week-episode model. I have mixed feelings on this. I agree that TV schedules have become ridiculous lately, often to the peril of quality new shows. Sometimes a good show suffers badly from a hiatus or schedule change, which kills it after one season. I have been frustrated when seeing many decent-rated shows fail to get renewed primarily because a 2-month hiatus was taken (usually something like December-February), and then everyone forgets about it and it has half the audience when it returns. I also hate when good shows suffer because they are pitted against top-rated programs on other networks. Spacey has a point in that networks playing too many scheduling games will ultimately be shooting themselves in the foot. However, I am not sure I can get behind the concept of providing entire seasons to the public at once. There area few reasons for this. First, it hurts from a commercial standpoint. Few advertisers are going to want to buy spots on all 23 episodes of a program, knowing that many people will see these 23 episodes in a period of 1-2 weeks. Second, it becomes easier for the public to forget a show if they "binged" on it for 2 weeks, and then are stuck waiting another 50 weeks until they see it again. I have found this even occurs with me during the "summer hiatus" that network shows take. When I give up on a show, it tends to be between seasons. At some point during the summer (when I'm not watching), I lose interest, and then I don't bother watching it again when it comes back in the fall. This will occur much more often when someone has almost a year to forget about a show -- even one they liked.

I do think networks should be better about providing people with PAST episodes they want to see. I find this to be such a pain in the ass, and often am forced to illegally download episodes I missed of a series that I otherwise legitimately watch on network TV. If I don't, there will be major holes in my understanding of the plots in subsequent episodes. Other people won't bother downloading the missed episodes, but will instead simply go away. Some networks provide viewers with the ability to watch online, but often this is cumbersome, difficult, slow, buggy, or peppered with terrible commercials.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    One of my favorite gay dudes in Hollywood.

Load Metric
    The 'binging' argument is interesting.

It works in favor of Spacey because House of Cards sucks just a little bit. I would have definitely stopped watching it after 2-3 episodes if it only came once a week but I stuck with it because I could rip through it quickly. Lost is another show that I enjoyed when I had 2.5 seasons built up to watch; once I caught up, I immediately lost interest in the show, still finishing it but not remembering it fondly (at all).

I think some of the best shows work best once a week: Game of Thrones, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men to name a few.

Breaking Bad might be the best show ever to binge on, I wish I had watched it like this.

Thread Information