Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this Micon's old friend? (Justin Wade Smith)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neveragain39 View Post
    Fed public defender refuses Hilo man's scam case.

The case was refused by the Fed public defender due to budget cuts.
    So now a private attorney shall be appointed by a judge.

Justin is facing at 20 years in Jail. which is not enough, imo.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...mans-scam-case
    Budget problems are the reason a public defender cant take on the case. So instead, the judge gets a private attorney (who is most likely way more expensive and competent) to represent him at the tax payers expense.

That makes a lot of sense...

yeah, bitch. magnets!

Banned
    Load Metric
    It's official, Todd Eddins, Honolulu based Attorney at Law, is appointed to defend Bryan's friend Justin Wade Smith.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sect...hout-bail.html

Interesting to note, Todd Eddins just put up a YouTube Channel only 6 days ago for self promotion.
    And it's not the first case where he will defend a meth user -see his youtube uploads for more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzw...obR83z3HBjf5uQ

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If the prosecutor does his/her homework, this will be a tough case to defend.

Even though a lot of the testimony will be based upon victims' claims without a paper trail, it will be hard for any jury to believe that Justin is innocent, when 30+ different people without association with one another come forward and tell the same story.

It's like the old drunk-guy-at-the-bar story.

If one person tells you that you were drunk last night, it's possible they were mistaken, especially if you didn't feel drunk.

If the entire bar tells you that you were drunk, then you were drunk no matter how you think you felt.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Even though a lot of the testimony will be based upon victims' claims without a paper trail, it will be hard for any jury to believe that Justin is innocent, when 30+ different people without association with one another come forward and tell the same story.

It's like the old drunk-guy-at-the-bar story.

If one person tells you that you were drunk last night, it's possible they were mistaken, especially if you didn't feel drunk.

If the entire bar tells you that you were drunk, then you were drunk no matter how you think you felt.
    What the fuck are you talking about Old drunk guy at the bar story? Druff go drink a big gulp!! Druff don't talk about drinking when you have no clue wtf you are talking about. Druff get drunk before radio tonight so you have an excuse why the show sucks. Druff take my call tonight I feel like making peoples ears bleed>>>
    Last edited by badguy23; 09-10-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Load Metric
    It's official, Todd Eddins, Honolulu based Attorney at Law, is appointed to defend Bryan's friend Justin Wade Smith.

Interesting to note, Todd Eddins just put up a YouTube Channel only 6 days ago for self promotion.
    And it's not the first case where he will defend a meth user -see his youtube uploads for more.

blames it on meth addiction.

Plea bargain for minimal jail time + drug counseling?

Case closed unfortunately

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Fortunately for Mr. Smith, the jurors would not be asked whether they BELIEVE he is INNOCENT, but rather whether, based on the evidence presented, the jury finds him guilty (of whatever he is charged with) beyond a reasonable doubt.

It may seem like a nitpick but it's really not. The burden is on the prosecutor and "not guilty" ≠ "innocent".

That said, hopefully the prosecutor has done his/her homework, and there is actually enough evidence to convict without having to rely on a bar full of drunkards.

Load Metric
    I'm betting no trail and that he off's himself instead..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

aka The Falcone Plea.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Fed public defender refuses Hilo man's scam case.

The case was refused by the Fed public defender due to budget cuts.
    So now a private attorney shall be appointed by a judge.

Justin is facing at 20 years in Jail. which is not enough, imo.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...mans-scam-case
    Budget problems are the reason a public defender cant take on the case. So instead, the judge gets a private attorney (who is most likely way more expensive and competent) to represent him at the tax payers expense.

That makes a lot of sense...

Load Metric
    In the comment section of one of the JWS articles a poster asks rhetorically about his moms Carolyn Chase. The poster alludes to Carolyn being an accomplice of her son and that she should be charged as well.

Anyone remember her involvement in micons case? I seem to recall she couched for her son's tales,.but I don't trust my memory.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post
    In the comment section of one of the JWS articles a poster asks rhetorically about his moms Carolyn Chase. The poster alludes to Carolyn being an accomplice of her son and that she should be charged as well.

Anyone remember her involvement in micons case? I seem to recall she couched for her son's tales,.but I don't trust my memory.
    I believe she was some sort of accomplice.

She called Justin while he was over at Micon's one time (and I was there), and pretended to have concern that Micon was taking advantage of Justin (LOL).

After it became clear what Justin was doing, it was hard to believe that his mom was showing any genuine concern, especially because she would have known that Justin was broke and didn't have anything for Micon to steal.

He also talked about his mom constantly, which I don't think he would have done if she would have been contacted and not backed the story.

She refused to talk to us when we attempted to call her in subsequent years.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post

There is most definitely a paper trail. I saved every shred of documentation from my dealings with JWS and submitted them to the FBI including a signed, witnessed letter in which JWS claimed to be a contractor working for the Drug Enforcement Agency and was using private money to fund drug buys. The private money, obv, was coming from those he scammed, including me. I fully expect attorneys from both sides to depose me and possibly subpoena me to testify as well -- which I will happily do for the prosecution.

In any case, I am convinced JWS' mother was complicit with his scamming activities. There is not currently a case against her and the Federal Attorney does not appear to be building one unfortunately.

Comments

Belly Buster: The return of bizmanager rep

Load Metric

If it was a state case, probably. But once the Feds bother building a case, they typically want to put someone away for an extended period.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post

If it was a state case, probably. But once the Feds bother building a case, they typically want to put someone away for an extended period.
    Yeah how'd that work out for the assholes from FTP?? Don't see anybody from management doing anything remotely extended.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    If he pleads out he will get around 5 years. If he goes to trial and loses he will get 15-20 years. This is based on other cases with similar pay back schemes. It is not a pyramid scheme, which are treated more harshly, this is just a petty grifter.

And I believe you have to serve 85% of your sentence if you are convicted of a federal crime. It's not like the state where they can cut your sentence in half for good behavior.

Basically he can get out of prison in his late 30s, or early 50s if he rolls the dice and loses. My guess is he pleads.
    Last edited by bottomset_69; 09-14-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Court date set for this Thursday Dec 19th.

cliffs:

"Motion for Withdrawal of Not Guilty Plea and to Plead Anew"

Means he's got a plea deal worked out to reduce sentence, obv.

http://www.hid.uscourts.gov/misc/7DayCalendar.html

Comments

DRK Star: being on top of shit, rep

Banned
    Load Metric
    Justin will be off to jail in 2014 for operating his "advance fee" scheme.

http://www.khon2.com/news/hilo-man-a...-dollar-scheme

Prosecutors say a Hilo man spent several years collecting more than $1 million dollars in a wire fraud scheme and promising to pay people back. But never did. Now he faces more than 40 years in prison.

Justin Wade Smith, 32, pled guilty in federal court to two counts of wire fraud, and one tax charge, stemming from his operation of an "advance fee" scheme.

U.S. Attorney Florence Nakakuni said Smith made false statements to get other people's money. In court proceedings, Smith admitted asking people to "advance" money to him, and promising to repay the amounts with substantial interest once he obtained money from the family trust or law enforcement agency. In court, Smith admitted that he was not an heir to a large trust, or a law enforcement contractor, and that he used the money received from others to support his own lifestyle.

According to the court documents, Smith ran his scheme from 2006 through 2012 in Hawaii and elsewhere, and obtained more than $1 million in cash, Western Union or Moneygram wire transfers, and the "loading" of a prepaid debit card belonging to Smith.

During court proceedings, Smith also pled guilty to willfully failing to file a tax return for the calendar year 2012.

Smith will be sentenced on March 31, 2014 by United States District Judge J. Michael Seabright, and will face maximum penalties of 20 years of imprisonment on each of the wire fraud counts, and up to one year of imprisonment on the failure to file tax return charge.

Smith will also be ordered to pay restitution to the victims of his wire fraud scheme, and to pay up to $185,386 in back taxes, plus interest and penalties to the Internal Revenue Service.

Comments

BeerAndPoker: Thanks for the updates rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love then when they try to make a broke ass whose going to prison pay restitution like how the in the hell is Justin Smith going to do that?

Anyways, it's good he got what was coming to him but people he scammed are still out money and now he becomes a drain on the jail system.

Comments

DRK Star: Micon gave him $10,000 in bitcoins?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    If he pleads out he will get around 5 years. If he goes to trial and loses he will get 15-20 years. This is based on other cases with similar pay back schemes. It is not a pyramid scheme, which are treated more harshly, this is just a petty grifter.

And I believe you have to serve 85% of your sentence if you are convicted of a federal crime. It's not like the state where they can cut your sentence in half for good behavior.

Basically he can get out of prison in his late 30s, or early 50s if he rolls the dice and loses. My guess is he pleads.
    Just as I predicted. You heard it here first:

http://bigislandnow.com/2014/03/11/f...ths-in-prison/

Comments

rum dick: nailed it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Just as I predicted. You heard it here first:

http://bigislandnow.com/2014/03/11/f...ths-in-prison/
    good call

Thread Information