Thread: Banned users beware

Load Metric

Banned users beware

Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    would also mean druff would get in trouble for times he has done this himself

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pretty hard to enforce and they'll have to build a million new prison cells.

Load Metric
    Also bad news for US players playing on foreign poker sites.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    This isn't saying that it's illegal to change your IP to access a site. It's just saying that the lawsuit by Craigslist can move forward. The law has not changed.

I'm actually on Craigslist's side on this one. Some scumbag was using bots to scrape content from their site and offering it on their own site. Craigslist told them to stop, and banned their bots' IPs, and they kept circumventing it. This is a content theft issue, not an issue regarding one's ability to read a site that wants them blocked.

As someone who runs a website where the public can provide content (i.e. the forum), I am very much FOR criminalizing IP blocking circumvention for purposes of pahticipiating, but NOT for purposes of reading.

That is, if I ban and IP ban you here, and then you use another IP to make a phony account to continue posting here, that should be a criminal offense considered the equivalent of online trespassing. This is because you are changing the content of my website (i.e. posting on it) after being told that your contributions are not welcome. I am not saying that it should be illegal for banned users to come back under another name (I've been guilty of that myself on 2+2), but that a user who has been explicitly banned, IP banned, and told never to come back, should be guilty of a criminal offense if he continues to circumvent the ban and keeps posting on the site.

I do NOT think it should be illegal for anyone to read, watch, or listen to content on the internet that is otherwise available to the general public. For example, if I IP ban you here, and you change your IP simply to lurk and continue reading what I post here, that should not be illegal. This is because you are not changing the content of my site, and because you are not accessing a subscription-only area for free. You are accessing free-to-the-public content and not interfering with it, and that should not be illegal.

It should definitely always be illegal to change your IP in order to scrape content to provide on your site for profit, after the site you're scraping it from has told you to stop.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    Pretty hard to enforce and they'll have to build a million new prison cells.
    Not that hard to enforce. Many victims themselves will be able to provide to authorites enough evidence of their own gathering to secure an indictment.

Not sure what the 1M prison cells are for, though. Fuck sending people to jail for trolling. They should just be killd.

Bestow italics rep below...

Thread Information