Thread: Faraz Jaka insists in article that high-maintenance poker lifestyle is not sustainable

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Faraz Jaka insists in article that high-maintenance poker lifestyle is not sustainable

This is all stuff that has been acknowledged by many for years, and echoes what I've said myself on my various radio shows, but it's still an interesting read:

http://igaming.org/poker/interview/f...r-lifestyle-1/

http://igaming.org/poker/interview/f...ptions-part-2/

Basically he's saying that you will go broke unless you live a frugal lifestyle while on the road playing poker, and that the media is shoving the "baller poker player" down everyone's throats, not showing the reality that most of those "ballers" go broke quickly.

The problem is the quality which makes many tournament players good (unpredictability / willingness to risk money) usually bleeds into their lifestyle.

It is extremely tough to be aggressive and seemingly not care about money at the poker table, and then live your life as a cheapskate who counts every dollar.

Not only can the big scores warp your mind, but even the buyin sizes can screw with your head. If you regularly play $10k or $25k events, it is hard to take any expenditure of $50, $100, or even $1000 seriously. So that's where the players go crazy with the room service, the expensive hotel rooms, the first class flights, the expensive clothes, the club bottle service, etc. You just picture each of these (individually) as less than 10% of a single buyin, and you can easily dismiss them in your head, not realizing how quickly it all adds up.

The bottom line is that you either have a respect for money, or you don't.

A strong respect for money will hurt your poker game a little bit, but will help you hold onto whatever you win.

A lacking respect for money will lead to you being broke very quickly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

^^^^ = ugly hat, ugly shirt, and cover up the chest hair imo but he gives some solid advice.

Load Metric
    You can't sustain stuff like this?

Load Metric
    I'd give a +rep to Druff but my quota of 2 is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    If Paki's aided their Muslim brother Palestinians and stopped their hidden business relationships with Israel would this thread have been created?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    I'd give a +rep to Druff but my quota of 2 is gone.
    No shit, way to Jew us on the rep points. It's like I see a post that sucks, I want to point out how much it sucks without actually replying, and

Load Metric
    I didn't read the article so maybe it was discussed in there but age plays a huge factor in spending money. I know when I was in my early 20's I wanted anything and everything. If I actually had money then things could have gotten ugly for me. Now that I'm in my late 30's and actually have money there's nothing that I really want so I put it all in Vanguard. I think a nice house is more important than a watch, 5 star hotel or baller cars at this point in my life.

Comments

Hockey Guy: True story

NaturalBornHustler: REAL talk

Load Metric
    I've always wondered why he is constantly tweeting about staying in hostels. Money saving or not there is no way I'm staying in a dorm type situation with foreigners in az foreign country if I can afford otherwise.

Load Metric
    Not sure why Druff wanted to quote this. Anyone who understands regression towards the mean understands that consistent million dollar years in tourney poker is impossible. I mean this is basic stuff that people accepted 10 years ago...

The real problem with tournament poker is lack of sponsorship money going to pros.

The reckless spending is more so a function of age. Give any 20 something a huge amount of money all of a sudden and you can expect the same results. Respect for money can only come largely through experience.

Comments

Poke*her*face: SFTRUE
    Last edited by BetCheckBet; 08-20-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Not sure why Druff wanted to quote this. Anyone who understands regression towards the mean understands that consistent million dollar years in tourney poker is impossible. I mean this is basic stuff that people accepted 10 years ago...

The real problem with tournament poker is lack of sponsorship money going to pros.

The reckless spending is more so a function of age. Give any 20 something a huge amount of money all of a sudden and you can expect the same results. Respect for money can only come largely through experience.
    I agree that it more has to do with age rather than aggressive poker style = aggressive lifestyle. Look at all the pro athletes that go broke and any young person who comes into a lot of money quickly. It's a recipe for disaster unless they have smart people around them that they can trust with financial decision making.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    If Paki's aided their Muslim brother Palestinians and stopped their hidden business relationships with Israel would this thread have been created?
    the Paki's are poor, what about the rich Saudi's and the gulf states drenched in oil money

the answer is simple: the muslims want to perpetuate the conflict

Paki's gonna Pak

addendum: it's not worth wasting a rep on your post
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Which one is he?

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomasi View Post
    the Paki's are poor, what about the rich Saudi's and the gulf states drenched in oil money

Paki's gonna Pak

Name:  WillyWonka.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  216.3 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomasi View Post

Paki's gonna Pak

Name:  WillyWonka.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  216.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Which one is he?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    How about the dramatization of poker itself?, about the life?.

Know that I've played poker for this long my naivete about poker has worn off. I still remember reading durrr's bio a while back and reading how he started off playing $5 sit n goes lol. I'm just saying a lot of romanticism about the poker life can make some people chase something that they are never gonna achieve.

Thread Information