Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Psycho tries to intentionally hit me and other drivers on I-15, CA Highway Patrol fails to get him despite 66 minutes & four 911 calls

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Psycho tries to intentionally hit me and other drivers on I-15, CA Highway Patrol fails to get him despite 66 minutes & four 911 calls

August 10, 2013, 7:38pm: I was driving on the I-15 north, headed toward Las Vegas. I was about 70 miles from the Nevada border. A small, older white car was in the left lane (there are two lanes on the 15 at this point), and was parallel with a slow-moving truck in the right lane. The speed limit is 70, and both the car and the truck were going about 60. At first I found myself annoyed by this. They were effectively creating a "blockade", not allowing anyone to pass, and traveling 10 mph below the speed limit. Usually when this happens, the car eventually speeds up and moves out of the way, or at the very least slows down and gets behind the truck. This didn't happen. The car maintained the same speed. I flashed my brights at the car, thinking perhaps the driver was unaware he was holding up traffic (perhaps talking on his phone). Nothing. The car ignored me.

7:42pm: After almost 5 minutes of this, I wondered what to do. I was considering flashing my brights again, but I was starting to worry that this was intentional, and that I might piss off some psycho on the road. I decided to throw caution to the wind, and flashed my brights at him again.

7:44pm: The car finally seemed to get the picture and sped up ahead of the truck, creating an open space for me to pass him on the right. For a moment, I hesitated, wondering if this was a setup. What if the guy was waiting for me to get parallel so he can shoot me? I decided that this was far fetched and unlikely. My plan was simply to floor it when I got to his right, get ahead of him, and speed up to ditch him. I caught up to the car, and started to move to the right to pass him. As I got close, he intentionally jerked his car to the right, attempting to hit me! And when I say hit me, I don't just mean tap my car to scare me. This person was trying to move to the right directly into my car, and literally run me off the road. I couldn't believe this. I felt like I was living a 1975 episode of "The Rockford Files". Did someone really just try to intentionally hit my car at 70mph? Did this really just happen? I decided that I didn't want to get anywhere near this psycho, and backed off. In an attempt to get a "second shot" at me, or perhaps just to fuck with me more, this driver slowed down below 60 mph, hoping I would catch up to him again.

7:46pm: A minivan, whose driver was clearly unaware of what had happened a few minutes ago, approached from behind. Both my car and the psycho's car were traveling very slowly. I was in the right lane, the psycho was on the left. The minivan went around me first, and then tried to go around the psycho on the right. The psycho then did the exact same thing to the minivan, again jerking his car abruptly to the right to force him off the road. The minivan reacted quickly and jerked to the right, as well. The minivan indeed was run off the road, and the psycho was now occupying the right lane by himself. Fortunately there was a usable shoulder, and the minivan floored it and got past the psycho, despite several more attempts on the part of the psycho to still hit him. Now I really couldn't believe what I was seeing. In my 25+ years of driving, I had never seen anything like this.

7:47pm I called 911. I reported what was happening. I could not describe the make and model of the car, as it was far enough ahead now to where I couldn't see such detail, and I only remembered the license plate starting with "4", which is fairly uncommon nowadays in California. I described the color and general description of the vehicle, as well as the "4" license plate. At their request, I gave them the call box number I was passing. They told me that they would inform an officer and would get en route immediately.

8:00pm No officer showed up. I knew that, being out in a remote area of the desert, it would be impossible for an officer to show up quickly, but this was still a highly traveled route (I-15 from LA to Vegas), and the psycho was still traveling very slowly (making it easy for an officer to catch up from either direction). I was also witnessing continued aggressive behavior from this psycho, who was weaving all over the road, intentionally pulling up in front of trucks and hitting the brakes, and intentionally swerving into the lanes of other drivers. I called 911 again, and asked when an officer could get to us. They couldn't tell me, but just that one was en route. I again provided my position. I explained again the urgency of the situation. If this person was not stopped, there was a decent chance they would hit and kill someone. I suggested that we were approaching the small town of Baker, and that an officer from that town could wait, look for my car, and pull over the guy ahead of me. They told me that they would "try" but might not be able to get it done. An excuse was provided that there was a "shift change" going on. Baker is very tiny, and any officer there could easily get into position within 5 minutes, or at least get on the road and catch up if they missed us. About 5 minutes later, we reached Baker. Nothing.

8:20pm Still nothing. Now the psycho was turning his sights back onto me, slowing down to as little as 45 mph, trying to get me parallel with him. I slowed down, too. No way I was going to get to this guy's side. I called 911 again and informed them of what was going on. The idiot dispatcher said, "Sir, you can't drive 45 mph on this highway. That's against the law. If he's going that slow, you're going to have to pass him." This dispatcher was aware of what had happened prior with the person trying to run me and others off the road. This might be the worst advice ever. I told the dispatcher that I would much rather break a traffic law than get on this psycho's right. I refused to speed up and pass him. We then turned to the subject of why no officer had shown up for 33 minutes. This wasn't simply a report of a reckless or drunk driver. This was someone who was seriously trying to maim or kill people by intentionally running them off the road at 70 mph. I told them once again that this was extremely serious, and that someone might die or seriously get hurt if this person wasn't taken off the road. I was put on hold, and then told that they would position an officer further down I-15. I was told to look for an officer parked on the side of the road, and then flash my hazards when I passed him. Once the officer saw this, he would pull over the car ahead of me matching the description I gave. I was happy to hear that this plan was in place, and anxiously waited for the sight of the CHP officer.

8:38pm After what seemed like an eternity, I finally saw what I had been looking for since this whole nightmare started. A CHP officer was sitting on the side of the road at the small mining town of Mtn Pass, about 12 miles from the state line. I slowed down, flashed my hazards, and waited for the officer to nail this guy. Even if the officer didn't witness the offenses, given the serious nature of the accusation, they were planning to detain him anyway on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, including performing drug and alcohol testing, which he likely would have failed. For the first time in my life, the flashing lights of a police officer behind me would be a welcome sight.

Except it didn't happen. Nothing. The officer stayed on the side of the road. I thought maybe he was just speeding up from a stopped position and was just catching up. After two minutes, he was nowhere in sight. Are you kidding me?!

8:40pm I reported this amazing lapse to 911. I said that we were getting close to the state line, and this psycho was about to get away. "Don't worry," the dispatcher told me, "You still have 10 miles until the border. We'll get him."

8:53pm I crossed into Nevada. About 3 miles before the border, the guy sped up and got way ahead of me. By the time I got to the border, he was long gone. I continued into Vegas, facepalming the rest of the way.

I called the CHP from Vegas and complained about this. They looked into it, and I spoke to a sergeant today. Here was what I was told:

- Due to the shift change at that time, there was no CHP officer in Baker, as usual. He had to leave from the headquarters in Barstow, and catch up. It was too far for him to catch up at that point, given our position.

- I asked why the normal police (not CHP) in Baker weren't called in to handle this, given the severity of the situation. I was told that only one police officer works out of Baker, and that "getting him ready, into his car, and onto the road would have taken too long", an assertion I reject given that they had a lot of time to get this done (and because the psycho was traveling slowly). I was also told that communication between the CHP and the Baker police "has to be done through dispatch" and would have taken a long time. What?!

- The officer waiting at Mtn Pass didn't know my position because of a "radio communications failure". He was expecting me to be there "a little bit later" so therefore wasn't watching closely for my hazards. You know, because watching for an extra 15 minutes for a car driving by with his hazards on is so difficult.

- The sergeant agreed that the instruction from the dispatcher to "not drive 45 mph" and instead try to pass this psycho was incorrect, and that I did the correct thing by refusing.

All in all, epic fail on the part of the CHP.

Even allowing for the shift change issues, they could have easily coordinated with the police in Baker to nail this guy (and didn't), instead choosing to try to catch up from 60 miles back. Then they position a guy in Mtn Pass who is daydreaming and somehow misses the signal I was told to give him -- all in a window of about 20 minutes where he had to watch intently. (It would be more understandable if he had to watch for this signal for 5 hours or something.)

Bottom line: If you want to commit deadly acts of road rage, the stretch to do so is between Barstow, CA and the Nevada state line.

Banned
    Load Metric
    This would be a great opening scene of a suspense thriller movie.

Next would be an introspective montage of your wretched past.
    ...with Cheryl Crowe's "leaving las vegas" as the sound track.

You would be played by Nicolas Cage.

Gold
    Load Metric

Cool

Druff you lead the life of an adventure Jew pretty well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Reminds me of this movie, which was Steven Spielberg's first:

Load Metric
    I am quite impressed by your vast knowledge of police workings and how they can communicate between derpartments.

Load Metric
    This is why I drive to Vegas in the morning. On the road by 8, hit Barstow about 9-9:15, Baker at 10:15-10:30ish and arrive at the strip usually at 11:30-12 usually hitting zero or very little traffic.

However during my last spur the moment trip in March I ran into a group of rice-rockets hogging up both lanes in Victorville. I saw about 3 cars doing something really stupid. The guys sitting in the passenger seat would stick half of their body out of the car to take pictures of their friends in other cars.

At first I was tilted but thought better. Their cars outnumbered mine 10 against one and I did not like those odds so I just cruised along I-15 going between 60-65 MPH. I wanted to make it to Vegas quickly but wanted to make it there in one piece. Luckily for me that group got off the I-15 at Barstow.

Comments

4BET: ,

Load Metric
    I surely hope you didn't have BW in the car.

Load Metric
    Watch and learn. Then the next time you're on a deserted highway you can pit the son of a bitch and get away scot free.

Load Metric
    Had a guy on the PA turnpike that was obviously fucked up on something. He literally swerved about 20 feet off the road into the grass and back onto the road at one point. Called the highway patrol and they said they'd pick him up. Was behind him for like 30 minutes, because there was no way in hell I was passing that dude, before I got to my exit and nothing.

However, if you want to drive 5 mph over the speed limit they'll be sure to mail you a helicopter issued speeding ticket. Driving drunk is ok as long as you don't speed...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    Had a guy on the PA turnpike that was obviously fucked up on something. He literally swerved about 20 feet off the road into the grass and back onto the road at one point. Called the highway patrol and they said they'd pick him up. Was behind him for like 30 minutes, because there was no way in hell I was passing that dude, before I got to my exit and nothing.

However, if you want to drive 5 mph over the speed limit they'll be sure to mail you a helicopter issued speeding ticket. Driving drunk is ok as long as you don't speed...
    Back in the late 90s I was running Fire/Rescue in Rural Southern VA and of course everybody had a dept issued radio. Our radios also had the channels for local PD to 'crosstalk' if we needed to.. Some drunk fuck was on Hwy 29 and I was following back one night between Lynchburg and Danville obviously drunk off his ass. Town cop was sitting on north side and he and I set the drunk fuck up for one hell of a fall. The town cop was literally standing in the middle of the road with his car blocking and his gun drawn as I was behind the dude coming into town.. I think the dude shit his pants.. He blew a .24

Load Metric
    How is it Druff can remember the phone number of someone that cranked called him in 1998 yet can't get the license plate of a guy he is following for an hour while on the phone with 911?

Comments

FrenchJew: very strange

Gordman: HOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    This is just another reason why I think I will invest the 100 bucks into getting a dash video camera. They are super popular in the Europe but for some reason have never caught on here.

1. Potentially gives you great proof you are not at fault in a accident.
    2. Records POS police in case they do something wrong.
    3. Records criminals such as what happened to Druff for prosecution.

Load Metric
    Pretty much why I don't drive to Vegas. Nothing but drunks and tweakers on the road.

Load Metric
    No $$$ in picking that guy up = CHP couldn't care less. They might still happily give you the driving to slow ticket though....

Load Metric
    cut loose with some of your Jew Gold

Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 08-12-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    For those of you wanting to experience Druff's nightmare, definitely worth watching.

Load Metric

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Rule 1 Get position on the maniac
    Rule 2 Fight aggression with aggression
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    This is just another reason why I think I will invest the 100 bucks into getting a dash video camera. They are super popular in the Europe but for some reason have never caught on here.

1. Potentially gives you great proof you are not at fault in a accident.
    2. Records POS police in case they do something wrong.
    3. Records criminals such as what happened to Druff for prosecution.

Right after this occurred, I was thinking, "Fuck, why didn't I have a dash cam?"

If I got this guy's license plate recorded on the camera, along with what he did, I could have filed a criminal complaint and gotten him arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon. (This was the charge they were going to hold him on, had they pulled him over, but it may not have stuck because it was my word against his.)

I think I'm going to get one.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just drove the other way on the 15 today.

Of course there were a million cops writing people tickets on that same stretch of road.

Thread Information