Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video game docs: King of Kong & Ecstasy of Order

Load Metric

video game docs: King of Kong & Ecstasy of Order

I'm sure most of you have heard of, or seen, the classic arcade game documentary King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters, about Billy Mitchell, Donkey Kong, the Twin Galaxies arcade, and some other shit. Very fun flick to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kin...ul_of_Quarters

Came across another similar doc the other night, probably off twitter or something. It's only a few years old, but I'd never heard of it before, and today I saw it mentioned on BoingBoing, so it must be getting some sort of push. Maybe a dvd release. 90 minutes, a fun watch.

http://watch.ecstasyoforder.com/

Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters

Tetris. We’ve all played it, rotating the pieces (“tetrominoes”) and dropping them in the perfect place, or despairing as we discover a piece won’t fit. You may have even joked about “mastering” the game during a stint of unemployment, or as a child, before you could afford any other Game Boy cartridges. But what about the people who’ve truly mastered Tetris? Where are the Kasparovs and Fischers, the great champions who’ve dedicated their minds to solving its deepest puzzles?

One man made it his mission to find them. In an effort to legitimize Tetris as a pro sport, Tetris super-fan Robin Mihara summoned the greatest Tetris players from around the country to compete in Los Angeles at the 2010 Classic Tetris World Championship. Among them are the only players known to have reached the unthinkable perfect ‘max-out’ score on classic Nintendo Tetris: Jonas Neubauer and Harry Hong. Add in the top players for most lines, Ben Mullen and Jesse Kelkar, as well as newcomer Dana Wilcox and modern-day Tetris Grandmaster Alex Kerr, and a storm of Tetris greatness is brewing.

Even these Tetris luminaries gape at the mention of 1990 Nintendo World Champion and Tetris legend Thor Aackerlund. The rumors of Thor’s return to competition, his claims to have reached the impossible level 30, and whispers of his ‘vibrating thumbs’ cast a shadow over the proceedings and leave all to wonder if he will emerge from the past to reclaim his title, or if his storied achievements will remain unverified.

Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters chronicles over two decades of jaw-dropping video game wizardry. Get an up-close look at the masters as they reveal their secrets, recount their decades-long obsession with the game, compete against each other to set new world records, and enter the transcendental state required to reach the highest levels known as the “Ecstasy of Order.”

Load Metric
    I remember watching King of Kong back in the day & I'm pretty sure when Billy Mitchell agreed to do it he didn't know he'd be portrayed as a world-class douchebag.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    One of my roommates in college was a tetris master. It was insane, I've never seen someone so good. He would sit in his room, smoke weed, and record himself playing tetris trying to break the world record. He showed me a video of him getting the 3rd highest score in the world but he didn't want to submit it because he wanted the highest score or nothing.

Load Metric
    Bump.

Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong records alleged to be all frauds, removed from some record books, and Twin Galaxies are investigating!!

The tl;dr is his records all appear to be from games run on an emulator rather than on PCB machines (printed circuit boards).

http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php?topic=2055.0

Billy Mitchell responds: "Who, me? an emuwhatnow?"

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/23...ng-allegations

Comments

SchoenfeldsJawMuscles:

BetCheckBet: been following for awhile and was surprised no one had yet posted this

DirtyErnie: thanks for this

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Bump.

Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong records alleged to be all frauds, removed from some record books, and Twin Galaxies are investigating!!

The tl;dr is his records all appear to be from games run on an emulator rather than on PCB machines (printed circuit boards).

http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php?topic=2055.0

Billy Mitchell responds: "Who, me? an emuwhatnow?"

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/23...ng-allegations

I posted this in the little-read Hacker's Delight forum here, but I'm not surprised people missed it.

I am actually shocked that people in the classic gaming community didn't question Billy for all of these years.

LOL at claiming to have taken direct video from a 1981 Donkey Kong machine, and people generally accepting that happened.

Load Metric
    it was pretty much just a formality, but the records are all gone now.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_de...ords-removed/4

"Based on the complete body of evidence presented in this official dispute thread, Twin Galaxies administrative staff has unanimously decided to remove all of Billy Mitchell’s’ scores as well as ban him from participating in our competitive leaderboards.

We have notified Guinness World Records of our decision."

Load Metric
    Brad Stevens Celtics coach

I liked this trivia

Stevens revealed that "Ms. Pac-Man," of all things, is a staple of his game-day rituals. He said his wife, ... bought him an old 'pizza parlor machine' a few years ago, and he has been hooked ever since.

'I play 'Ms. Pac-Man' for 10 to 15 games as a break between video,' Stevens said. 'And then I go on my jog, and go about my daily routine, but I make sure to get my 'Ms. Pac-Man' game in at home every single day. 10-15 minutes (of video games) isn't that bad, tell your parents you're good.'
    Stevens claims he’s never been beat on his own machine

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: I ran into Brad Stevens at a grocery store when he was famous for being Butler coach, nice guy

Load Metric
    Billy Mitchell isn't pleased, and his lawyers are demanding everyone take everything back and re-instate the records or else.

Here's the letter from the lawyers demanding retractions and whatnot.

View on scribd here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/425988501/  

Here's their evidence package, a scant 156 pages that start with Billy getting an award surrounded by smiling Japanese girls. As one would expect.

View on scribd here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/425988045/  

got all the docs from here: https://old.reddit.com/r/speedrun/co...ction_against/

Comments

duped_samaritan: [scribd][/scribd] rep

Load Metric
    For what it’s worth “funspot” the “game museum” (the games we play for taxes) in New Hampshire is a place I can get lost in for hours. That’s the location for king of Kong. My family does a day there every summer.

Load Metric
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Mitchell showed up and broken or approached the record on machines in public multiple times?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnP View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Mitchell showed up and broken or approached the record on machines in public multiple times?
    I don't think so. The evidence I saw against him was pretty damning. It really does seem like he achieved the record on a MAME emulation of Donkey Kong, which of course can be hacked or modified. I don't believe he's ever duplicated those records on a verified legitimate machine.

Load Metric
    This guy makes Phil Hellmuth seem normal.

It's like Hellmuth + Sklansky + Cheater
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 09-15-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I don't think so. The evidence I saw against him was pretty damning. It really does seem like he achieved the record on a MAME emulation of Donkey Kong, which of course can be hacked or modified. I don't believe he's ever duplicated those records on a verified legitimate machine.
    He hasn't the dude is proven cheater / fraud ... he was essentially replaying each level over and over til he had a the perfect score then putting them all together ...

Load Metric
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14vV...YdFLiEh72/view (scribd wouldn't let me upload it. cool trick with the scribd tags though)

The first response from twin gaming (starting on page two) makes me think Billy Mitchell has a 0.0% chance of winning if this were to go to court. He had all the chances in the world to defend himself during the 8 month investigation and he didn't have shit to say. I suppose there's a chance Guiness just gives in to avoid the headache though.

I think he was starting to feel like he wasn't relevant anymore and this is all just a stunt to change that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I remember this stuff from years ago (assuming he didn't somehow fake this with all the extra measures back in 2007). There was definitely another thing where he randomly showed up at an arcade, drew a big crowd and unofficially posted one of the highest scores ever. I saw while looking for this that he recently lived stream reaching some of the old scores on Twitch too.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1565744/donk...s-to-prove-it/

Mitchell's achievement, verified live by a senior referee from the classic gaming record-keeping group Twin Galaxies, comes just four months after rival gamer Steve Wiebe claimed the crown.

Mitchell took extraordinary steps to prevent doubt about his new run. He achieved the score on a "Donkey Kong" board he bought off eBay. The board looked clean to him, but he sent it to Nintendo of America headquarters in Redmond, Washington, requesting someone there authenticate it. An engineer from the company, which made "Donkey Kong," e-mailed him and said the board checked out. The board was sent to Mitchell, who kept it in the Nintendo packaging. Then, at the Mortgage Brokers convention, Mitchell had the board removed from the packaging and placed into a "Donkey Kong" cabinet only when a security guard, a notary public and a manager from a nearby GameStop were watching. This process was filmed.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Anyone try his buffalo wing sauce?

Load Metric
    Yes, he has since matched some of his high scores legitimately in the ensuing years but they do cover that in the link if you'd bother to read it.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Yes, he has since matched some of his high scores legitimately in the ensuing years but they do cover that in the link if you'd bother to read it.
    The link I posted above was from when he held the world record from 2007-2010 after going through all of those extra measures. Years ago when this came out i read about this stuff extensively. He doesn't have to cheat is what I'm getting at, which makes this all really bizarre, and he's definitely intelligent enough to realize he'd be caught.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    So...no on the wing sauce?

Load Metric
    Don't be surprised if another documentary gets made.

Thread Information