Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Manziel??? Say it ain't so!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Johnny Manziel??? Say it ain't so!

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ing-autographs

Reports are claiming he profited from signing hundreds of autographs in January.

Load Metric

if true he must be retarded

Banned
    Load Metric
    Good for him, and fuck the NCAA. Must be nice to rake in $800 million per year off free labor.

Comments

gut: yes

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Good for him, and fuck the NCAA. Must be nice to rake in $800 million per year off free labor.

And all he is getting is free tuition for playing a game. As someone who will be paying off student loans for nearly as long as I'll be paying off my mortgage I think Johnny Douchebag is getting "paid" plenty.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fail View Post

And all he is getting is free tuition for playing a game. As someone who will be paying off student loans for nearly as long as I'll be paying off my mortgage I think Johnny Douchebag is getting "paid" plenty.
    Players like Manziel provide way more value than the cost of tuition. Sure, most Americans would be thrilled to earn $300k/year. That doesn't mean it's fair to pay LeBron James that salary.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    cant wait to lay the wood on Alabama against them...

by time that game comes around more shit is going to be swirling around johnny football and id guarantee that saban is gearing up for that game...he's gonna want to fucking roll it up on gig 'em...

Load Metric

I agree. It's not like the players don't know what they're getting in to ahead of time anyways. If a chick walks into a men's prison and spreads her ass cheeks she should expect to get fucked and so should college athletes in the short term. My only argument is that they should get a cut of their jerseys sold after they graduate or leave the school.

Comments

gut: horrible

Load Metric

Players like Manziel provide way more value than the cost of tuition. Sure, most Americans would be thrilled to earn $300k/year. That doesn't mean it's fair to pay LeBron James that salary.

If they are good enough to make that kind of money they'll wind up getting a whole lot more than what they're worth at the next level.

As for how much value they provide, that is debatable. Very few schools make a profit off of their football teams. I think the last study I saw was from the 2010 season where only 20, or so, football programs made a profit.

Comments

gut: also horrible, and wrong

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post

if true he must be retarded
    Ohio State lost a HOF coach and a year suspension plus all kind of other penalties over the same stupid shit

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Their payday comes with their free tuition makes a career later on in life and if they are good enough to play at the next level then they get their millions then all from the opportunity a university gave them to play college football.

Many of these guys don't complete school so they take advantage of a scholarship to play sports for a year or two taking some classes that won't do anything for them later on in life if they don't come back to school. This takes a random scholarship away from someone else but at the same time these players do help fill the seats where the universities make tons of money.

I really can't feel for someone who takes money since it's a against the rules but I do think a weekly salary to cover some life expenses should be considered for athletes. Many of these kids can barely afford to take a girl out to eat or whatever.

This is one of them things that for every person that gets caught hundreds get away with accepting money on some level imo even if it's the guy at a local restaurant saying "You meal is on us tonight" which would be against the rules.

Banned
    Load Metric

If they are good enough to make that kind of money they'll wind up getting a whole lot more than what they're worth at the next level.

As for how much value they provide, that is debatable. Very few schools make a profit off of their football teams. I think the last study I saw was from the 2010 season where only 20, or so, football programs made a profit.
    According to this, the teams average expenditures are far lower than revenues. They're mostly profitable, especially the teams getting to bowl games.

I can't agree with the logic that it's okay to exploit people simply because they're willing to endure it, or that future earnings justify it. Try applying that reasoning to other situations and see how you feel about it morally.

Let the market determine what Manziel and others deserve to be paid.

Load Metric

According to this, the teams average expenditures are far lower than revenues. They're mostly profitable, especially the teams getting to bowl games.

I can't agree with the logic that it's okay to exploit people simply because they're willing to endure it, or that future earnings justify it. Try applying that reasoning to other situations and see how you feel about it morally.

The market wouldn't determine it, though. Big names schools would and they would overpay the top recruits.

Paying players would be the end of college football as we know it and would turn then big name schools into a minor league system like baseball has. Teams like Alabama, Texas, and Notre Dame would be able to pay a whole lot more for 4 and 5 star recruits than other schools like Oregon State, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia, etc. would be. It would be the end of parody and would lead to football programs across the nation shutting down.

So for every Johnny Football that you give millions to because he is "worth it" you'd wind up taking away hundred of other scholarships from players at smaller schools who wind up shutting their football programs down because they can't afford more than a scholarship.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If Manziel did this then it just signifies he doesn't care about playing college football or is just a flat out idiot

1. His family is rumored to have a lot of money so he doesn't need cash

2. Most Heisman winners make a lot of money doing bullshit speeches for companies and bullshit like this after they get out of school

Load Metric

But the problem is the profitable football team pays for the in-the-red Water Polo, Women's Softball, and Lacrosse teams too. Without the football and basketball profits most colleges would have to do away with 90% of their sports teams, including things like baseball.

He gets a lot more than just tuition too (which is a massive nut when you consider the interest they don't have to pay as well), food, housing, gets to work out in a state of the art gym, free health insurance, transportation, and so on. Basically, being a scholarship athlete is like living with an Italian mother.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    If Manziel did this then it just signifies he doesn't care about playing college football or is just a flat out idiot

2. Most Heisman winners make a lot of money doing bullshit speeches for companies and bullshit like this after they get out of school
    How long would it be before he'd be eligible to play pro if he theoretically gets the boot? I can't remember how long the dumbfuck from OSU had to wait since he left before his junior year.

Banned
    Load Metric

The market wouldn't determine it, though. Big names schools would and they would overpay the top recruits.

Paying players would be the end of college football as we know it and would turn then big name schools into a minor league system like baseball has. Teams like Alabama, Texas, and Notre Dame would be able to pay a whole lot more for 4 and 5 star recruits than other schools like Oregon State, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia, etc. would be. It would be the end of parody and would lead to football programs across the nation shutting down.

So for every Johnny Football that you give millions to because he is "worth it" you'd wind up taking away hundred of other scholarships from players at smaller schools who wind up shutting their football programs down because they can't afford more than a scholarship.
    Do you know what a market is? Serious question.

I'm not sure I agree that schools would shut down their football programs or that parity would regress. The best athletes are already going to the big schools anyway. The small schools would continue recruiting the scraps like they always have, and pay the lowest. Probably about the price of tuition, like they're already doing.

But even if you're right, this argument isn't much different from a slave owner complaining about how the cotton industry will suffer with abolition.

Load Metric
    I dont know about all of this.... what I do know is I really liked Bama -6.5 -120 before this news.

If Johnny Football gets suspended that bet is going to be sold fucking gold.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

How long would it be before he'd be eligible to play pro if he theoretically gets the boot? I can't remember how long the dumbfuck from OSU had to wait since he left before his junior year.
    3 years after they graduate high school
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric

I'm not sure I agree that schools would shut down their football programs or that parity would regress. The best athletes are already going to the big schools anyway. The small schools would continue recruiting the scraps like they always have, and pay the lowest. Probably about the price of tuition, like they're already doing.

But even if you're right, this argument isn't much different from a slave owner complaining about how the cotton industry will suffer with abolition.

Once you compare slavery to college athletics... it's not worth debating the subject any more.

The kids who are worth more than scholarships are going to get their money anyways. Even the ones that get injured or fizzle out in the NFL are going to be set for life with high paying, cushy jobs as long as they never miss a company flag football tournament.

Banned
    Load Metric

Once you compare slavery to college athletics... it's not worth debating the subject any more.

The kids who are worth more than scholarships are going to get their money anyways. Even the ones that get injured or fizzle out in the NFL are going to be set for life with high paying, cushy jobs as long as they never miss a company flag football tournament.
    I'm comparing the logic, not the situation. The point is that you don't seem to care about doing what's fair or right. You just care about the result.

Thread Information