Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping on a carry out order??

Bronze
    Load Metric
    RE: SteveO Tipping CVS Cashiers:

Man, that if off the radar for me. Tipping store clerks for aisle direction is flat out weird. I get where you are coming from technically, but your move could have been construed as predatory, in that you might be propositioning random cashier for further conversation.

I would advise against anyone tipping store cashiers 40% market value for items. My opinion.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post

Man, that if off the radar for me. Tipping store clerks for aisle direction is flat out weird. I get where you are coming from technically, but your move could have been construed as predatory, in that you might be propositioning random cashier for further conversation.

I would advise against anyone tipping store cashiers 40% market value for items. My opinion.
    By the look on his face I was more concerned he would follow me around from now on.

Comments

bukowski72: CVS teaches employees to say hi for loss pervention Watch CNBC
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

By the look on his face I was more concerned he would follow me around from now on.
    Beyond pay grade. Carry on

Comments

simpdog: your pay grade is likely similar to an illegal mexican cleaning bathrooms. Not a plumber.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

I might be wrong in your opinion, but I'm right in that that is why this happened.

If you ever had a job where your lively hood was based on tips, I think you'd have a different opinion.
    & I don't get why you write it like it is a simple fact that I'm wrong and you are right. That is your opinion on how things should be.
    Ask 100 people who work for tips if they can possibly be insulted by the size of a tip.
    I didn't say that waitstaff can't be insulted by the size of tips.

I agree that, if you're having a $100 sit-down meal, leaving a $5 tip is more insulting than leaving no tip.

However, I don't understand why people get "insulted" in spots where people are giving small, non-customary tips that are often otherwise zero from the average person.

I'm talking about tips on takeout, tips in addition to the 18% forced tip for big parties, tips above a mandatory "service charge", and tips to poker dealers when gratuities have already been subtracted from the prizepool.

In those cases, you shouldn't be insulted with any amount, because it's something extra.
    I see where you are coming from, it must be a human nature thing because it is a real emotion. (on this Brees topic, that other stuff I agree is BS)

1/2 the coins I flicked back, I knew the guy was trying to be nice, I always thought of it like, they want to be nice, I'm not let them go home thinking we were happy w/ the tip he left and he did his good deed for the day. I'd be like "look if you want to be nice, this is the minimum, and if that is too much then ............................." I taught tipping 101.
    IMO, Don't go to place where you are supposed to tip, not tip(or tip the minimum), and wonder why people are rude to you. Just stay home, or get take out.

I'm not changing my opinion, $ 3 is an insult for a $ 75 tab. Minimum $ 6.
    I'd take it, thank him for it, (maybe roll my eyes), but next time he came, I would NOT go out of my way to make sure he got a good deal, in fact.....................(what china was saying before, don't insult people in charge of your food.)
    Last edited by JimmyG_415; 08-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Load Metric
    Tipping when you are not supposed to is a sign of being a generally good guy to others. I would have probably left a $5 spot in this Brees example. $3 is marginal, but not unacceptable.

I usually tip when others mostly do not. For instance, I always leave $1-3 in a hotel room for a maid. If I only have a $1 bill I leave that, if I have $3, I leave that. But I would not leave a $5. Someone is cleaning up after you and your business, I can't think of a worse job, but if I can treat them to a soda, it makes me feel a little better. Most fuckers treat maids like shit and trash the room, not me. I always pick up as best I can; not make the bed or anything like that, but I am not tossing garbage on the floor either.

I also tip the guy parking my car when I Valet. Most fuckers only tip the guy picking up the car. Not me, I tip them both, each are doing the same amount of work.

I NEVER tip anyone on a street corner begging. But if a guy is playing a musical instrument with a bucket out, I will toss him a couple bucks for trying to earn a living.

I always tip 30-40% in a crappy diner for breakfast. I see some stooge leaving a $1 for a $5 breakfast. I generally will just leave a $10 spot on my $5.95 tab and call it even for his cheapness.

I also over tip cab drivers if they engage me for a conversation. On a $15 fare, I will just hand him a $20, whereas most people with ask for change.
    I leave $5 per night for housekeeping (I was under the impression this was standard?) and I also tip both valets. AND I agree with you 100% on breakfast bills, they are so cheap I always leave way over 20%.

For me there are two types of people that deserve a tip:

#1: People in a tipping industry, who I tip industry standard unless they really screw something up or are assholes
    #2:Someone goes out of their way to help you when they don't have to. It's very rare but when I do tip someone who is not in a tipping industry, I overtip them

An example of Type #2 was when I was in CVS looking for those assorted chocolates (for my nana) and couldn't find them anywhere. Cashier sees me going up the aisle again and says "are you looking for something?" I explain and he actually goes and finds them for me; doesn't just direct me to them. They were like $14 something and I gave him a $20 and said thank you.
    I'm for sure on this line. My grandma, when we went to the local Italian place, the place would literally stand still while they figured out who got her table this time.
    Everyone was taken care of, the host, the busboy, then the 20 % tip for the waiter/waitress.

But I saw what it got you, best table, they would add our favorite appetizers, bring out a plate of the new dish they are selling, and all the desert you wanted. None of that was added to the bill. I'd get 10 cherries in my cokes (which was never empty), huge portions, everyone coming over to say hi.
    It turned dinner into an experience. Most of those people aren't still there, but as late as 10 years ago they'd still talk about her and ask how my mom is doing.

Now, I have never tipped a guy at CVS.
    Steve-o must have looked like Snoop buying that nail gun in "the wire", and leaving the $ 100 tip. (at the 2:00 mark)

Gold
    Load Metric
    Tipping cvs employees is nuts. I might tip the pharmacist next time I fill my script to see what happens though.

I am going to reiterate the fact that all you tight asses that don't tip suck and I feel bad for you. Tip well and tip often. Holding on to your Jew gold like druff does will shorten your life span with incidents of tomato-less sandwiches, shitting in big box stores with no toilet paper, and hidden charges put on your folio.

Just give a buck or two for menial shit and it will come back to you.

Load Metric
    What is the accepted tip for fast food purchases? Many of the places I go for lunch now have a tip option when paying with interac including large chains like KFC.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    What is the accepted tip for fast food purchases? Many of the places I go for lunch now have a tip option when paying with interac including large chains like KFC.

I was listening to the Mitch Albom radio show here locally and a caller made a great point regarding what you just said. She said that wait staff at restaurants don't make minimum wage and need the tips in order to even make that, much less anything more. So tipping a fast food worker who is making 2x what a waitress does is deplorable, at least to the wait staff community at large. She also commented that wait staff are charged with packing up orders and sometimes lose tables doing that other work, so she said it was appropriate to tip around 10%, because even she acknowledged that she isn't going through the menu or topping off your cuppa joe every 5 minutes. She honestly flipped me on my previous comment, and also made me hate Barristas with tip jars that are already making $7 an hour.

Bronze
    Load Metric

I'd get 10 cherries in my cokes
    Going to assume this is a level.

Load Metric
    The hell with tipping fast food, unless it's a place like Sonic that has carhops. I had eaten at Sonic for years and then dated a carhop while I was in college and found out that they work for tips. I tip extra if they have skates on because I feel like the ones walking are lazy bitches.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Grunching. Having waited tables for 7 years I usually always tip and always at least 20%. Besides having been in the industry a while I always tip 20% on carry out orders because of how the bartenders or servers tip out. At the last place I worked, which was quite some years ago, servers tipped out 3% of there total sales to the busser, 1.5% to food runners, and 1% to the bar. If they rang up a carry out order and didn't get tipped they didn't just get fucked out of making no money but they still have to tip out on total sales so it costs them money to ring it up. Now normally this isn't gonna break you just like 1 guy stiffing you on a tip is almost always gonna be made up by someone who is gonna tip over 20% but it doesn't mean that shit doesn't suck. Therefore I always just tip 20% on carry out unless it's pizza.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

I was listening to the Mitch Albom radio show here locally and a caller made a great point regarding what you just said. She said that wait staff at restaurants don't make minimum wage and need the tips in order to even make that, much less anything more. So tipping a fast food worker who is making 2x what a waitress does is deplorable, at least to the wait staff community at large. She also commented that wait staff are charged with packing up orders and sometimes lose tables doing that other work, so she said it was appropriate to tip around 10%, because even she acknowledged that she isn't going through the menu or topping off your cuppa joe every 5 minutes. She honestly flipped me on my previous comment, and also made me hate Barristas with tip jars that are already making $7 an hour.
    That's very misleading.

Yes, it's true that many waiters/waitresses technically make less than minimum wage, but that is immaterial.

What matters is how much the person makes in an average week.

Let's take the Bellagio blackjack dealer example from the height of the Vegas economy. It was common for them to make $100k per year.

Guess how much their official hourly rate was? Minimum wage.

So when someone says, "Tip me, I make minimum wage", they can be telling the truth, and still pulling down 6-figures after tips.

Now, I'm not saying most waitresses make anywhere near that amount of money. They don't.

However, waitstaff at high-end restaurants make good money, while the waitstaff at cheap diners tend to make very little.

If you are feeling especially generous and want to help out someone struggling to make minimum wage, give the big tip next time you eat at a struggling diner in a small town. Those are the employees who really need it.

Even waitresses at mid-range chain restaurants make far more than minimum wage when it's all said and done, regardless of what their listed hourly pay is.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, if you go too crazy with tipping in non-standard situations, you are going to be giving away a lot of money, and you still won't be scratching the surface regarding tipping hardworking employees that serve you every day.

Do you shop at Amazon? Most likely you do. Guess who packs and ships your order? A low-paid employee. Do you tip them? You couldn't if you tried, as you don't even have contact with them.

When you stop in a public bathroom and take a dump, do you make sure to track down the janitor and tip him? You don't? Here's some news for you: He's not paid well, and he has a very unpleasant job.

When you walk into a small store and purchase something, do you tip the cashier? Probably not. Guess what? That person is making very little money, as well.

Do you have a gardener? He probably makes decent money, but his assistants are paid very little. Do you tip them? I bet you don't.

What about the guy behind the counter at the gas station? Do you tip him? Unlikely. Does he make much money? Nope, unless he is the guy who owns the place.

I could go on with countless examples.

Unfortunately, this country has arbitrarily selected certain professions where it's customary to tip service employees, and others where it is not.

In many cases, tipping began for a different purpose than it eventually became. For example. do you know why blackjack dealers get tipped? People today assume it's because they make minimum wage, and that's the way to make sure they can make a living. But that's not how it started. Blackjack dealers were originally tipped by superstitious gamblers who felt it would bring them "luck", and it eventually evolved into something expected. Now if you don't tip while playing blackjack, you look like a cheap asshole.

I go along with the societal standards for tipping, but at the same time, I don't feel that every single employee I encounter needs to be tipped for simply doing his job.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    The hell with tipping fast food, unless it's a place like Sonic that has carhops. I had eaten at Sonic for years and then dated a carhop while I was in college and found out that they work for tips. I tip extra if they have skates on because I feel like the ones walking are lazy bitches.

That is kind of my feeling as well. I would tilt me to no end if I tipped the drive thru guy and I was missing part of my order. I obviously check since its 50-50 shot something is missing.

I see many posts of people saying you have to tip people because they make shit wage, not because they gave great service. Where I live (Calgary) they pay mcdonalds employees 12-15/ hour and restaurant waitresses make at least this much before tips. It is still expected that you tip 20% or more even with mediocre service. I have no problems tipping for decent service just hate the sense of tip entitlement.

Load Metric
    Going to assume this is a level.
    ???? Whatever, seems like kind of a gay innuendo to me (that is the proper use of the word GAY, this forum is in the dark ages when it comes to that word BTW)

I was 6-12 years old, and they'd bring a separate glass of maraschino cherries for the kid's drinks, that is the end of that story.

OK, so obv, on this forum I'm a big tipper, (nothing compared to Steve-O), but I've NEVER said to myself, oh this person makes so little money, I should help out.
    I start at 20 %, if they exceed expected service level, I'll go to 25-30, and if they are rude as low as 10 %. It is all in the attitude, but never have I based a tip on how much they make.
    Take out or coffee, same system only start at 10 %.

I'll agree w/Druff in that society selected a few spots to tip, that maybe we shouldn't, but that is life.
    If you don't want to tip, then just don't do it, but don't expect people at those jobs, to be happy w/you either. That janitor (or all the other professions he named) who doesn't get a tip, he made a choice not to be a BJ dealer or a waiter. (most of the time, anyway)

Bottom line, If you are going to tip $ 3 on 74, just F'in keep it. Yes I see your point, the guy should be happy that he has $ 3 that he didn't have before, but he won't be.

I don't get the guy who tips for for sit down, but stiffs take out, what exactly do you tip for, because someone brought the food to your table?
    Same time went into cooking it, taking your (special) order, ringing it up, preparing it, then all the cleaning.
    Tip take out, about 1/2 of what you tip sit down service.

I've had this discussion w/people (who don't agree w/me) but I tip more for future service. Places I frequent, places I want to be known, or places I know I'll be back. Not good for staff of tourist places, but life isn't fair.

Load Metric
    Don't know why everyone thinks I'm a big tipper, this was/is a very, very, rare occurrence (I've probably tipped a cashier or similar type employee less than 10 times in my entire life, so we are talking like once every 2 years if we start at age 17) and they have to do something that warrants getting tipped, like coming from behind the counter and finding the item, not directing me to it. I remember a time at the grocery store where I asked a kid where the Pastene Pepperoncini's were and he said something along the lines of, "they're back in Aisle 2 (I was at the opposite end of the store near the checkout lines) if you want to get in line I'll go get them and bring them up front." I gave him $5. Another time the cashier told me that the rotisserie chicken I got came with a free 2-liter of soda, I said don't worry about it, and the bagboy said he'd go get it for me. I gave him $5 when he came back.

In my mind, the $5 I toss this person is going to do a fuck of a lot more for their overall work experience and their opinion of work than all the thank you's in the world, as it shows them that going above and beyond does matter. You go above and beyond for me and I let you know it's appreciated, I don't care if you're a waiter, a valet, or a CVS clerk.

Load Metric
    A lot of times it's against store policy for these people to accept tips and they could get fired. For instance, I know at Publix (Florida supermarket) if you try to tip the person who carries your groceries to your car, they have to decline tips even though they get offered somewhat frequently.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    A lot of times it's against store policy for these people to accept tips and they could get fired. For instance, I know at Publix (Florida supermarket) if you try to tip the person who carries your groceries to your car, they have to decline tips even though they get offered somewhat frequently.
    I live in Massachusetts, we do things differently. If somebody said we can't accept tips, I'd put it back in my pocket and thank them for their help. Nobody has ever said this to me, although I am aware certain places have these kinds of policies

Also, we settled the PFO Fantasy Draft payouts, you can go to the thread to see who to pay

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    I bagged at a family owned grocery store when I was in high school and they had a sticker on the front door asking customers not to tip. If the owners saw you take a tip they would give you one warning and then fire you the next time. This was back in like 94 when we made like $4.15 an hour for minimum wage too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I start at 20 %, if they exceed expected service level, I'll go to 25-30, and if they are rude as low as 10 %. It is all in the attitude, but never have I based a tip on how much they make.
    If they are rude, why give 10%? I don't understand this. I can understand giving a 10% tip to a server who is surly/unfriendly, but if he/she is downright rude, why give them a penny? If a server (or any other employee) is rude or confrontational with me, not only do I give zero tip, I also ask for the manager and report them.

In the '90s, my then-girlfriend and I were dining out with another couple, and the waitress was overtly rude and nasty to me regarding a mistake that occurred on the bill. Everyone at the table agreed she acted highly inappropriately, and the other couple was just as appalled by her behavior as we were.

When it came time to leave, I told them that I wasn't going to leave a tip for our part of the meal. The male half of the couple said, "Oh... well, I always tip at least 15% no matter what, so I guess I have to tip 30%, because if you don't leave any tip for your half, then it will look like a 7% tip."

I asked him why he was tipping her at all after the way she behaved.

"Oh, she was really rude and disrepectful, I totally agree. I just feel it's immoral not to leave at least 15% tip no matter what."

I told him that he had the right to tip what he wanted, but to please respect MY decision not to tip, and not "make up" for my lack of tip out of his own pocket. Otherwise, I told him, it was taking away my ability to show her that she lost my tip through her behavior.

He stood there flustered, kind of understanding where I was coming from, but also annoyed that if he didn't make up for my non-tip, it would look like he only left 7.5%. He reluctantly said, "Ok, fine, I just won't tip at all", and we walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG
    Places I frequent, places I want to be known, or places I know I'll be back. Not good for staff of tourist places, but life isn't fair.
    I agree that it's sometimes important to give a tip when you otherwise wouldn't (or give a larger one) because you'll be back and remembered.

Thread Information