Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping on a carry out order??

Platinum
    Load Metric

Tipping on a carry out order??

Ok so a few days ago, this story was posted on how Drew Brees was a cheapskate after he only tipped $3 on a $74 order. Honestly I agreed at the time.

http://www.terezowens.com/drew-brees...chincy-tipper/

Cheap guy right?

Not so fast, he said it was a carry out order yesterday!

On Mike and Mike this morning, Colin Cowherd was on and they brought it up. Colin thought it was absolutely nuts that he even left any tip on a carry out order, to which the Mike's responded in utter shock and amazement that he said that. He was criticized for the next 5 minutes straight about being "cheap" and what not. Wait...what??

My main question is who the fuck tips on a carry out order (obv Mike and Mike)?? Is this a rich person thing or what? As Colin appropriately said..."what am I tipping the girl for......ringing up my food??"

I can tell you this, the "common folk" like myself have never even thought about tipping on a fucking carry out order. Honestly when I heard the Mike's berate Cowherd for this stance earlier I thought I was in the Twilight Zone.

I know this issue is near and dear to Druff's heart so just thought I would see what the "protocol" is on a carry out order. I thought tipping was for good service, you know like when you SAT DOWN in the place to eat and you actually had someone SERVING you.

Oh and one more thing, I hope the cunt that sent that picture in works at a restaurant for the rest of her life mopping floors and ringing up people for $2 an hour. Slut.

Load Metric
    If I'm a regular I will leave a tip (usually a few singles) to insure long-term success at said restaurant, especially if it's a mom and pop place where they have a tip jar and it gets shared.

That being said, in any normal situation, tipping the person ringing up the order is pointless. they likely had no other impact on your order and will pocket the money while the cooks get shit. It would be like tipping the hostess at Applebees for showing you to your table.

My rule of thumb is that I tip anyone who has legitimate access to my food where they could fuck with it if they wanted to. Waitress, delivery driver, etc. Not the person picking up your carryout ticket and grabbing the pizza box/already packaged Chinese food
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Darren Rovell heard it too and seems to agree, has a twitter poll going on the issue.

Overwhelmingly people are like hell no I don't tip on a carry out order, nor should I.

Load Metric
    I tip if they go have to put my order together generally. I don't tip if I pick up a pizza. I tip if I have take out for 3 or 4 people, and they have to go gather the stuff and put it together. I have a tendency to tip more if I have arrived right at the time they gave me or before. For instance, if they say it will be ready in 20 minutes, and I show up a tad less than that, I will tip the person who has to go put it all together. If I come after 30 minutes, and it's not bagged and put together, I'm more inclined to be irritated and not tip. I tip pretty much every bartender even on a bottled beer, and they generally do less than the person bagging up multiple orders and then ringing it up. In short, I tip depending on effort exerted. If stuff is ready to go and it's simply a matter of ringing it up, it' s not a tip, or a buck maybe if I'm in a good mood and I go there often.

Load Metric
    Unless it's a place where I know the person at the counter preps my food, I don't tip on carry outs. It may just be me, but I don't like the thought of giving a cashier the tip for something where the kitchen staff did 100% of the work. That said, I do know from work experience, that if you order take out from Red Lobster that the bartenders put the entire order together so I would tip at a place like that.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    Unless it's a place where I know the person at the counter preps my food, I don't tip on carry outs. It may just be me, but I don't like the thought of giving a cashier the tip for something where the kitchen staff did 100% of the work. That said, I do know from work experience, that if you order take out from Red Lobster that the bartenders put the entire order together so I would tip at a place like that.
    Exactly.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Take out from sit down restaurants I leave 5% or so. Pizza places I usually leave a buck. Somebody is getting tipped from me if its a place I go with any regularity.

I'm not big on karma but I feel like I'm doing some good to overcompensate for all the cheap Jews in the world.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This has always been a debatable subject. The thing is when you order food from a restaurant the cook is the one who packages it up into Styrofoam or plastic type containers for you which is a few extra seconds of their time while the server just runs the food out to you.

The waitress or waiter has much less work when all they have to do is take the order and bring it out when it's done for you to go home. Their is no cleaning of a table/booth, checking up on you multiple times for drink refills or if you need anything,etc... Sometimes you call your order in and drive to pick it up so the person on the phone is taking it and many times they are on an hourly rate depending on the restaurant.

Why should the server get much money on this deal for minimal work when it's the preparers in the kitchen that have one added step but maybe not if they are part of the dish cleaning crew too since they have less dishes to clean from me taking the food home?

I gave a girl $1 on car side service at Applebees years ago which I rarely go to in the first place and she gave me a dirty look like I was cheap. Well I didn't create car side service and would be happy to walk my ass in to pay for the meal yet they don't want you to do that so what a standard tip should be for this sort of thing is debatable. A $1 might seem cheap but the meal was only $7 or $8.

As for a pizza place if I pick it up that means no tip since I could be trying to save a couple bucks by not having it delivered. All those people do is ring t up and send me on my way.

When I eat at a place I'm always tipping closer to 20% and sometimes a few percent more depending on the service. Their have been a few times where the service was so bad that I barely tipped. Some people say if it's that bad to complain to management or to not leave anything at all but leaving a penny is a bigger statement to me that the person was shit. I haven't done that before but I've been close to it and know people who have just left a shiny 1 cent.

The key is to tip fair but if you overly tip for everything in life and aren't necessarily ballin then your burning money.

Load Metric
    I may throw a few bucks down if I pick up from my local pizzeria, only because I've been going there forever and am friendly with everyone.

I almost would never do it otherwise. If it's an 'order at the counter' place, I will leave something on the table for the busboy but never add anything at the counter.

Bottomset, do you add a 20 spot whenever you carry out those $27 lobsters from Red Lobster?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Whether you are dining in or getting it to go, the employees are still getting screwed by their boss and getting paid minimum wage or less.

Not your problem or worry, but if you can afford it, throw a buck or two if they take care of you with decent service. The universe will thank you.

Load Metric
    The problem here is the size of the tip.
    You either tip or you don't tip.

If he stiffed them, I doubt anyone would say anything.

But, leaving $ 3 for a 75 order???? It is an insult. 4 % tip.

I was a BJ dealer, and if someone tipped .50 or .25 (and hadn't tipped all night) I flicked that coin back at them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Someone like Drew Brees has more money so for that reason he probably should throw a few more bucks in.

Tipping is always a subject where what % is considered acceptable and for what circumstances?

I have a few poker dealer friends that complain to me a lot saying they ship a guy a $3k pot and he throws them $1? At least throw give me a red $5 chip every now and then. The thing is just because the pots are bigger at higher stakes the dealers are still doing the same amount of work BUT then you can argue that someone is winning big so they should tip a bit more.

I've heard many pros regularly say they tip a flat $1 regardless because it can be tough to beat the rake and variance that goes in poker if you over tip but as long as they are tipping then it's fine. Dealers still make their money but if I know the person or win some big pots I'm more inclined to give a couple bucks for some hands but whenever I see an over tipping player I just shrug my head because I know they are going to be a loser.

For example I've seen guys tip $5 on some weak $40 pots several times a night at in a $1/2 NL game. You simply can't tip that much otherwise your screwing yourself over time because it's way too big of a percent of the pot and all the hands you lose that you commit money to over the night will make this come back to bite you in the ass.

I remember one time this heavy tipper kept throwing red birds on all pots to the dealer throughout the night. He probably gave him I'd say $75-100 easily and then lost this massive pot to a bad beat on the river. The man yelled at the dealer claiming how much he was tipping and wondered how the dealer could screw him that badly? The funny part about it is the guy was being serious.

Load Metric
    Only tip on carry outs if you're trying to fuck the girl who's handing you your food. No exceptions.

Load Metric
    I absolutely 100% will never ever tip on a carry out. I tip extremely well 20% regardless and sometimes up to 50% if the service was really good, but I will never ever tip on a carry out.

What service was provided to me? Nothing. They didn't have to check if my food was ok, give me refills, be nice in general. All they have to do is put the food on the counter and take my money. There's no reason to tip on carry out, I think the thought of it is absurd.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    I absolutely 100% will never ever tip on a carry out. I tip extremely well 20% regardless and sometimes up to 50% if the service was really good, but I will never ever tip on a carry out.

What service was provided to me? Nothing. They didn't have to check if my food was ok, give me refills, be nice in general. All they have to do is put the food on the counter and take my money. There's no reason to tip on carry out, I think the thought of it is absurd.
    That's idiotic..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

That's idiotic..
    Not as idiotic as tipping carry out. When you tip that big people remember you, and shit gets done.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't think I've ever tipped 50% in my life.

Even if it's a chick with a nice rack and great ass that I'm flirting with I'm never leaving her 50% because then her expectations will be too high if she remembers me down the road. Lets say I got a date out of it I wouldn't want to come off as a sucker who she might feel she can take advantage of financially because I tipped her too generously.

Load Metric
    I always tip something on take out orders. Of course I live in a small town & frequent these places.

I can see the arguement for not tipping if it's at a place where they have a seperate person running the cashier but that's not the way it is in my hometown. The person i pick up the food from inevitably answered the phone & took my order, packaged it, made sure everything was there & got it to me in a timely fashion. IMO that person deserves something because they are also waiting tables in the restaurant & it's taking time away from that to also run take outs & she's usually the only girl there.

I see nothing wrong with what Drew Brees left for a tip. I would have rounded it up to $80 if it was in my town but see nothing wrong with $3 if it's paid to a seperate cashier because you can't be sure that it gets to the right people or you don't frequent the place.

Just my opinion.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I don't think I've ever tipped 50% in my life.

Even if it's a chick with a nice rack and great ass that I'm flirting with I'm never leaving her 50% because then her expectations will be too high if she remembers me down the road. Lets say I got a date out of it I wouldn't want to come off as a sucker who she might feel she can take advantage of financially because I tipped her too generously.
    It has nothing to do with appearance. Most hot waitresses usually get the bare minimum 20% just because half the time they're the worst.

50% is pretty rare. I'll leave 50% if I go in and get something small and sit down for a while and the bill is like 10 bucks there's no reason not to leave 5. They put in as much effort as they would have had to if you spent 40. Other circumstances include when we're going dutch and I know the people I'm with are awful tippers, so I often times raise my tip to try to offset their shitty tips. I've maybe once or twice left 50% on bigger items simply because the waiter/waitress went extremely above and beyond.

I'd say on average my tip is about 25%. I try to leave at least 5 bucks regardless of what my bill is unless it's at like a bar or something.

Load Metric

Someone cooking your food is not a service provided to you? What people also tend to forget when making a togo order from a sit down restaurant/bar is that it is another order for the kitchen to make, and bogs down the service happening to people inside the place. Something just for yourself not a huge deal, but ordering togo for 4+ people in the middle of lunch or dinner is generally not well liked by people in the restaurant.

I rarely order takeout, but will leave ~10%. I tend to eat at alot of counter-service type spots (local versions of like Chipotle, or food trucks) and I always throw down a buck per "entree" which would be like 12-15%

Thread Information