Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connection Problems- Need advice

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Internet Connection Problems- Need advice

Office #1 Has Fios and is very clean. Have disconnected once in 2.5 years with Fios and never in 1.5 years with DSL. I run both desktops and laptops here and never any problems

Office #2 Has Comcast and was running both a desktop and laptop starting in September. Both would disconnect at least once a day so I called Comcast and had them come out and they replaced the equipment and now there is both a modem and a router.

Worked ok the first few times I played poker here with the new stuff BUT would disconnect and then snap reconnect and it didnt cost me anything so I stopped playing here. Today I tried to play and the software was having trouble establishing connections and I had to keep restarting it and the software kept timing out so I gave up playing at this spot for now.

Here is where it gets tricky. Is this the cable wiring here or is this a comcast problem most likely?

They are coming here to put in according to them "a new state of the art modem router combo" Last time they came the guy tested everything. He said the cable was coming in clean from outside and he said everything was running cleanly. But again comcast has told me every time I have had problems they can see that it is constantly going out for 30 second spells.

Now if I have Verizon come in and install DSL is this going to suck as well most likely? This could be a waste of time

Other option is to get an air card. Dont want to spend $600 per year on an air card but will if none of this other crap is going to work. Best options for air cards are Verizon and ATT I think. Verizon air card is 50 per month or 80 per month. I think 5 gigs and 8 gigs for those prices. ATT is 50 per month. Will I ever use more than this playing mostly online poker?

Load Metric
    China,

Check the IPChains of both routers and/or ping the server hosting the ipoker service... you'll notice a break if ipchains/ping blocks the packets (ie problem lies within the router). If that's the case then the site's been blocked via the router. Not an ISP issue, it would be client side...

Thanks,
    Pika

Load Metric
    I can get more technical if you want but here are the cliffs:

Comcast =

Fios=
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Office #1 Has Fios and is very clean. Have disconnected once in 2.5 years with Fios and never in 1.5 years with DSL. I run both desktops and laptops here and never any problems

Office #2 Has Comcast and was running both a desktop and laptop starting in September. Both would disconnect at least once a day so I called Comcast and had them come out and they replaced the equipment and now there is both a modem and a router.

Worked ok the first few times I played poker here with the new stuff BUT would disconnect and then snap reconnect and it didnt cost me anything so I stopped playing here. Today I tried to play and the software was having trouble establishing connections and I had to keep restarting it and the software kept timing out so I gave up playing at this spot for now.

Here is where it gets tricky. Is this the cable wiring here or is this a comcast problem most likely?

They are coming here to put in according to them "a new state of the art modem router combo" Last time they came the guy tested everything. He said the cable was coming in clean from outside and he said everything was running cleanly. But again comcast has told me every time I have had problems they can see that it is constantly going out for 30 second spells.

Now if I have Verizon come in and install DSL is this going to suck as well most likely? This could be a waste of time

Other option is to get an air card. Dont want to spend $600 per year on an air card but will if none of this other crap is going to work. Best options for air cards are Verizon and ATT I think. Verizon air card is 50 per month or 80 per month. I think 5 gigs and 8 gigs for those prices. ATT is 50 per month. Will I ever use more than this playing mostly online poker?

Since China most likely wont read this (*giggles*), this is for everyone else. I have an AT&T aircard for the purposes of back up for poker. My aircard is 10x more likely to have connection problems then my DSL internet ever does. An aircard is a poor long term option if you are looking for stability. An aircard will drop service momentarily AT LEAST once a day if you are playing long sessions.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I def agree with JSear,

I have had an ATT air card, and I found it to be very unreliable. I used to disconnect on average once per hour. I would definitely stay away from those types as a solution.

China, are you able to receive Time Warner in your area?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually saw saw searles post cause i wasn't logged in and thanks for feedback

100% not the client. Web pages time out as well.

AT&T sucks I agree. I am typing from an AT&T iPhone right now and the service is garbage. Don't believe there is time Warner here either.

If I go with air card I will go with Verizon cause the service is unreal here.

Want to see how new modem works from Comcast first. If it sucks I will prob go air card.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also will online poker eat up the data plan?

Load Metric
    DSL is actually really good right now, especially for the price. It is fast as fuck in general because they are now using the 2nd generation ADSL2 modems and shit so ask them what speeds they have to offer exactly. I had DSL the last few years and it was generally just as fast as a decent 2.0MB cable contract. I downloaded tons of movies/music while surfing the web while ten tabling and all that shit and really the only thing that made it slow was if my computer was running slow.

Is there any reason you can't get FIOS at the office? I have heard a lot of great things about that too but never tried it myself.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    DSL is actually really good right now, especially for the price. It is fast as fuck in general because they are now using the 2nd generation ADSL2 modems and shit so ask them what speeds they have to offer exactly. I had DSL the last few years and it was generally just as fast as a decent 2.0MB cable contract. I downloaded tons of movies/music while surfing the web while ten tabling and all that shit and really the only thing that made it slow was if my computer was running slow.

Is there any reason you can't get FIOS at the office? I have heard a lot of great things about that too but never tried it myself.
    I had DSL for 2 years and it was awesome and would replace the Comcast with DSL Verizon in a second. The problem is I don't know if the lines are fucked up or not so I don't know if this would be a huge waste. But it could be shitty comcast fucking things up too. That's where the problem lies

Fios is not available here which sucks cause thats what i use 95 % of the time I play poker and it is without a doubt the best connection I have ever used.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post

I had DSL for 2 years and it was awesome and would replace the Comcast with DSL Verizon in a second. The problem is I don't know if the lines are fucked up or not so I don't know if this would be a huge waste. But it could be shitty comcast fucking things up too. That's where the problem lies

Fios is not available here which sucks cause thats what i use 95 % of the time I play poker and it is without a doubt the best connection I have ever used.
    China,

Are you using a landline in that office? If so how is the call quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    This could be so MANY things. The first thing that I would want to know is what the signal amplitude coming into the modem is. Just satisfactory or a good, strong signal? An inline amp could help if especially if you have other devices connected to the same cable.

By many things, I mean it could be anything. For example, take a simple case. Suppose one of your cables (802.) running between your pc and router had an intermittent short/open or bad connector that a little vibration/movement caused a disconnect?? How do you find something like that? (this can be a bitch btw.) Try to isolate by moving cables around.

It could be a corroded cable connector or damaged cable (somebody drove a nail into it behind the drywall). If you suspected something like that there are ways to find these kinds of things. Ask Comcast if they have or/and use a TDR (time domain reflectomer). This will tell you precisely where in the cable (distance wise) the problem is. Another thing you might look at is the router's log(s). Sometimes that will give you a clue on what the problem is.

Like I said, what you described is not easy to pin down...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Out View Post
    This could be so MANY things. The first thing that I would want to know is what the signal amplitude coming into the modem is. Just satisfactory or a good, strong signal? An inline amp could help if especially if you have other devices connected to the same cable.

By many things, I mean it could be anything. For example, take a simple case. Suppose one of your cables (802.) running between your pc and router had an intermittent short/open or bad connector that a little vibration/movement caused a disconnect?? How do you find something like that? (this can be a bitch btw.) Try to isolate by moving cables around.

It could be a corroded cable connector or damaged cable (somebody drove a nail into it behind the drywall). If you suspected something like that there are ways to find these kinds of things. Ask Comcast if they have or/and use a TDR (time domain reflectomer). This will tell you precisely where in the cable (distance wise) the problem is. Another thing you might look at is the router's log(s). Sometimes that will give you a clue on what the problem is.

Like I said, what you described is not easy to pin down...
    I was having a similar issue to this and it turned out to be the connection at the pole outside my house --after three visits from different techs (two of home climbed the pole and said they "fixed it". The tech that came said the wire outside on the pole looped back or something --anyway, long story short the wire outside my house was bad. He cut it, reattached it, and my Internet as been all Aces ever since. So I would agree with Sitting Out that it could be anything from a bad cable on your end to a bad cable on their end.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ok so Comcast Technician came today. His name was TODD BTW

He said the levels were fucked up for sure. He confirmed it was a comcast problem and said if I got the DSL the problem would be solved.

But TODD went to work and replaced some splitter in the wall with something called an EVO amp. At first I tested it and it failed and was disconnected but that didn't stop TODD.

TODD made the proper adjustments and now this thing is fucking flying.

Will test it tonight

TODD IS GOD/thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    FWIW when I log on merge from Fios the light on the bar zooms by 2 times.

Before with comcast it would take 8 times

Now it is logging on in 1 zoom

Load Metric
    I can vouge for Verizon DSL.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnP View Post
    I can vouge for Verizon DSL.
    Verizon DSL sucked balls when I had it. Had to finally drop it because they couldn't fix an ongoing problem, and refused to believe me that it was on their end and not problems within my home network. (I was 100% sure it was on their end.)

Also they outsource support to the Philippines, and they scheduled like 3 different phantom appointments for me where nobody showed up.

Verizon FIOS has terrible billing support reps, but at least the service itself is excellent.

Load Metric
    I was just looking for an excuse to use "vouge". It's the word of the month at Skatz.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

He said the levels were fucked up for sure. He confirmed it was a comcast problem and said if I got the DSL the problem would be solved.

But TODD went to work and replaced some splitter in the wall with something called an EVO amp. At first I tested it and it failed and was disconnected but that didn't stop TODD.

Will test it tonight

TODD IS GOD/thread
    OK OK TODD IS NOT GOD

5 disconnects in 3 hrs. When it is not disconnected the speed is blazing though.

Here is my play. Call Comcast in the morning. Get to the cancellation department. Tell them I want only TV and want out of the bundle. Then have Verizon come in and install DSL and Phone.

Comcast guy told me for just TV it would be 120 even though the bundle for phone/web and TV is only 140

Any tips to deal with these fuckers. I have heard when you get to the cancellation department you get someone that sells you a crock of shit and can only get shit done when you get to the person who is going to disconnect the service

Tips?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Will test it tonight

TODD IS GOD/thread
    OK OK TODD IS NOT GOD

5 disconnects in 3 hrs. When it is not disconnected the speed is blazing though.

Here is my play. Call Comcast in the morning. Get to the cancellation department. Tell them I want only TV and want out of the bundle. Then have Verizon come in and install DSL and Phone.

Comcast guy told me for just TV it would be 120 even though the bundle for phone/web and TV is only 140

Any tips to deal with these fuckers. I have heard when you get to the cancellation department you get someone that sells you a crock of shit and can only get shit done when you get to the person who is going to disconnect the service

Tips?

Ok so this problem was finally fixed in the fall or early winter.

I made a decision to drop Comcast Internet and go with DSL, I called and got Comcast to get me a good deal on just TV and I was dumping the phone too. So I call Verizon and tell them I need to make an appointment and their rep tells me that the cannot install and DSL in the area because they are at a cap. I call back to talk to another rep and get the same BS

So now I am thinking of just getting a Verizon wireless modem and adding wireless to my desktop and then one cold Satuday night @ like 8 PM I get a knock at the door. It is some white dude in plain clothes telling me he wants to come in to test my internet and he works for comcast. But he had no gear on. I refused and told him I was heading out. I asked him why he wanted to test it and he said they installed new cables in the area because there were leaks and they needed to keep up with Fios.

Seemed legit but I wasn't buying it. No truck, no gear but could have been a contractor but also could have been someone looking to stake houses in the area for a robbery or something. I call comcast right away to see if they had techs in the area and they said they forwarded it to an area supervisor so he could call me and I could see what the deal was.

Guy never called me back. So I contacted them a week later and the guy immed called me back. Turns out the tech was real and they plugged all the leaks and the internet is running solid gold and I have not had issues since. They also comped me a bunch of free movies and some other shit too

/thread

Load Metric
    China my cousin works for Comcast I sent this thread to him. I'll tell u from my personal experience Fios pwns Comcast right now!! I had the same shit happen to me watching porn. I don't ever like my shit cutting out. Also Fios Pwns cus they have a battery in case the power goes out So your shit will continue to work for a bit!! I have a generator so either way I'm safe.. U r in a bad weather place for like 5 months out of the yr and if i had money on the tables like u do I'd want that battery as back up or a generator. Anyway I sent my cousin the email and made fun of his telephone climbing boots he has

Thread Information