Thread: Poker bots on Bovada?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Poker bots on Bovada?

Just wondering if anyone who plays on bovada has encountered them?, If so how did you know?. I'm just curios, I have been doing some research online about bots and it looks like they're getting better. Just wanted to see if anyone playing on bovada has experienced playing against a poker bot, and how did you handle the situation, does bovada even care?.

Load Metric
    I'd handle it by not playing HU limit hold'em...
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I see them everyday! They try to bluff me mashing the pot button on every street it's the only thing they know so it's got to be bots obv.

Load Metric
    It's obv bots when you type "nh" and they don't even reply.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I see them everyday! They try to bluff me mashing the pot button on every street it's the only thing they know so it's got to be bots obv.
    I want to ask you what would you recommend for me to read regarding Bots.

I am aware they exist and are publicl available. I may have suspected I was playing against them but I never worried about them. As games get thinner I am more suspicious as I am often HU and think sometimes I need to adjust but I don't know how.

Are they a best attempt at game therory play?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-01-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In general, bots call down more often and put in less action on non-nut hands than would human players in the same spot.

But that's not to say you should try exploiting them.

Bots have no emotion (a big advantage over you), don't get tired (another big advantage), perfect memory (another big advantage), and perfect computational skills on-the-fly (yet another big advantage).

If you think you are playing bots, quit.

BTW, they have run rampant on Bodog/Bovada for a long time, and they don't give a shit. I tried to get several obvious bots suspended, but failed.

I did get a degree of revenge, such as exploiting a Bodog bug (which no longer exists) of sometimes giving you the button back repeatedly after a third player joins and sits out (provided you then sit out between hands with a certain timing). A human opponent will always sit out if you keeping "buttoning" him, but a bot won't. I used to force bots to repeatedly play on the BB while I had the button -- sometimes as many as 80 times -- until Bodog actually forced me to stop (LOL!)

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    In general, bots call down more often and put in less action on non-nut hands than would human players in the same spot.

Bots have no emotion (a big advantage over you), don't get tired (another big advantage), perfect memory (another big advantage), and perfect computational skills on-the-fly (yet another big advantage).

BTW, they have run rampant on Bodog/Bovada for a long time, and they don't give a shit. I tried to get several obvious bots suspended, but failed.

I did get a degree of revenge, such as exploiting a Bodog bug (which no longer exists) of sometimes giving you the button back repeatedly after a third player joins and sits out (provided you then sit out between hands with a certain timing). A human opponent will always sit out if you keeping "buttoning" him, but a bot won't. I used to force bots to repeatedly play on the BB while I had the button -- sometimes as many as 80 times -- until Bodog actually forced me to stop (LOL!)
    So should I just avoid bovada all together?

What games are they playing?

Would you happen to know how their card generator works?

TIA

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I used to play sit n go's and some cash on bodog, I did ok but the coolers where unbearable so I quit playing. I feel like giving it another shot, just found an article online about bots that got me thinking about the validity of bovada.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Poke*her*face View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

So should I just avoid bovada all together?

What games are they playing?

Would you happen to know how their card generator works?

TIA
    Never stop playing on Bovada. I haven't seen games as soft as these in a very long time in the online world.

Load Metric
    Yes, rake makers. Bots also bump the bottom lines.

Load Metric
    Bovada and the anonymity of players poses an interesting issue if not opportunity. If Bots are playing optimal Game Theory poker, then he is tracking my opening hand ranges and bet sizing, etc. and building a database from the start of the session.

Of course I have no HEM. My game is now largely intuition lacking any data.

I can quickly see why Bovada would be an optimal environment for the Bot with data vs players without. I can see why so many Bots live there.

How do you play? Especially HU. An AIOF jam fest deeply rolled over a huge range? Prolly just avoid site or play 9 player full ring.

I want to read more but so much useless chatter on 2+2 on this topic. Maybe I am being lazy. Was looking for someone to point me toward the gold.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A lot of people like to point to Bovada for anon tables since the opportunity for bots or collusion can be harder to detect and when you do it's not as easy to report.

So how do you report foul play you might ask?

If you feel your being cheated whether it's a bot or players working together aka collusion then what you want to do is email them them hand #'s , table name, stakes of play, what player was it (player 2, player 4,etc...) , screenshots, and the time of when this occurred along with a description of why you feel something might be going on.

Now as far as detection goes imo bots are most likely going to occur in limit based cash games mostly short handed. I don't believe you will see any in mtts and not as likely in full ring no limit either. In no limit games bet sizing varies so a bot is harder to pull this off. As for sngs I would say the chances are very small they will appear in them.

I suppose anything is possible but the easiest sng games to put bots in or collude would probably be the double or nothing sngs. I've probably played a few thousand dons on Bovada and had to report collusion once but it was more of a player being extremely bitter not wanting me to cash because I cracked his hand. He even stated in chat "I'm going to make sure you don't cash player 3" and when a super short guy raised all in for like 308 chips in the sb and he was in the bb for 300 then folded I snap reported that even though I remember still managing to cash. I remember this player kept talking to that player in the sb a lot during the sng and said he was going to fold because he seemed like a good guy.

As Druff was saying bots tend to play a certain way and I agree with that completely. This is why they can happen more so in limit games because it's call a bb, raise a bb,etc... They can have specific hand ranges put it or be programmed to detect if they have top pair to do this, two pair to do that,etc...

Their have been few times when I've played either limit holdem or limit omaha hi/lo on Bovada where I crushed and other times where I got outdrawn nearly every time or couldn't hit a draw myself while the same person kept winning every pot. I don't think like some do saying "You must work for Bovada" in the chat,etc... That can happen and will frequently in poker it's just bad variance.

If you feel your up against a bot try to get them to talk. You might even say "Sir, can you say something in chat I just want to know your a real person" and if you get no response you can either try one more time or quit if you feel something is not right then do the steps of what I said earlier in this post to report foul play.

The drawback I had in the case I mentioned about guy who I reported in a double up sng is that I asked Bovada what would happen in this case and they told me it gets investigated and if the person is guilty of foul play they can't play on Bovada any longer. I then asked if they would let me know the outcome once it gets reviewed and they told me for security reasons they couldn't do so which I replied stating I didn't think that was fair because how do I really know they are following up on this matter?

Since I did cash I wasn't entitled to anything but I reported it because I don't want to see guys like that in future games on the site even though they would never know it's me this guy could do this to the next guy,etc...

I am on the site to play against real players so if my suspicion was strong that I was up against a bot even if I felt it played bad I would choose not to play in that game and would report it. I'm not playing video poker or a limit holdem machine in Vegas and should always be playing 100% against real humans when playing online.

Comments

Sanlmar: Thx the effort above
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 08-01-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Load Metric
    I am not a limit player. I try to restrict my HU play because my therapist refuses to discuss variance related mental health issues anymore. Thus, Bots prolly aren't in my wheelhouse.

Not a Bovada player either but have certainly thought about wether there is opportunity to be had.

Do you know how the Bot business works? Financially speaking. What price, license fees, etc? Is there a cost involved that makes it economically not feasible to seat a Bot at a certain game limit. For instance, you can't achieve correct payback for investment for a Bot at a 10c 25c NL game.

Been reading a little of the Ike Haxton game theory stuff and his observations about the on going quest to solve poker. Bots would seem to be the personification (lol) of those theories of play at work. Or an attempt anyway.

Finally, like everything else in the marketplace, some stuff being offered is crap and defective. Love to be privy to some of the reported bugs/flaws out there. I would just like knowing that some Bots are weak. I will check this months Consumer Report Magazine.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    What concerns me the most about this change, is why did they go anon to begin with?

They now have more guaranteed money in tourneys than I have seen besides the FT and PS hayday, so what's to say they don't bot the tournaments themselves to keep the prize money?

Countless numbers of sites put up the GTD money, and a lot of them look like they are losing their ass every day, but yet, they still do it. I know you're going to say, "to attract enough people", but I don't see a bunch of slimy software operators willing to lose money when they do not have to.

At least if I suspected a bot, I could look them up at shark or bluff, but with these anons, you have ZERO way of knowing for sure.

Load Metric
    Playing bots is only a problem when your playing a ton of tables. Since you cant do that on Bovada you should be happy to play a bot in nlhe. Im sure you wouldnt want to play limit with them. I used to love playing bots hu on Stars in nlhe.

Load Metric
    dude you say one dumb thing after another. STOP POSTING YOU FUCKING DUMBFUCK

Comments

Corrigan: DUMFUCK rep

Thread Information