Thread: 2+2 Poll about PPA currently rates them as "unfavorable"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

2+2 Poll about PPA currently rates them as "unfavorable"

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...n-ppa-1354247/

Right now about 52% of voters have rated them unfavorable, with about 360 votes cast.

Before you dismiss this as just 2+2 NVGtards being negative/trollish, keep in mind that the PPA has their own forum on 2+2 and is well-regarded there by a lot of people.

I actually expected this poll to fall heavily in their favor (like a 65-35 "favorable" vote), and this is pretty eye-opening to me.

Sadly, they are still not getting the picture that much of the poker public is dissatisfied with them, and one of their reps is still arguing with people in that thread.

Here was my post in that thread:

Over 99% of the PPA's funding came from online poker operators in 2010 (the final full year prior to Black Friday).

The PPA can pretend to be an organization acting in the players' interests, but there is absolutely no way you can take 99% or more lobbying funding from a source and disregard their interests.

If a source contributes 99% of funding to a lobbying group, they own that group. Ask anyone in the lobbying industry and they will tell you this is true.

It is absurd that the PPA still acts as if they represent the players. They don't, and never have.

I don't blame them so much for Howard and Chris being on their board, because there was no way to know at the time that those two were involved in stealing player money. That was more of a symptom of the overall problem -- that the entire organization was bought and paid for by the online poker sites.

Now, if the PPA wants to argue, "That was our only source of real funding, and without that funding, we could not operate", that's fine. But at least admit who you really represent.

It would be so much more refreshing to hear the PPA say, "We primarily represent the interests of existing online poker sites getting the rights to operate in the US, but these interests also coincide somewhat with player interests, so please support us anyway."

However, they would never admit such a thing, because it would be a PR nightmare. It's much better to position themselves as a grassroots organization powered by concerned poker players.

Read here about "Astroturfing": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

The PPA is as guilty of Astroturfing as that fake grassroots group "Fairplay USA".

The fact that the current poll is showing more than 50% unfavorable should be a message to the PPA, but judging from the responses I see here from Skalligrim, the message has once again not been received.

Load Metric
    most politicians would kill someone to have a 48% favorability

Comments

Sandwich: Gary Condit, ftw
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    your thoughts on the reply to ur post

Thread Information