Thread: Hypothetical Q

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric

Hypothetical Q

Not trying to roll a poker site geographically but have similar situation -

Don't want to relocate but being asked to. Employer is trying to avoid certain regulatory requirements by changing where they operate.

Thinking seriously about setting up computer in new area and using logmein or remotepc type of program. Will need to make phone appear from same area as well. Bulk of work will be done through computer via emails and phone calls.

Unsure whether employer's computer will have any shady spytech programs on it but assuming it will. Granted there is a very small chance they'd even consider I was doing this so I doubt they will be looking at the geography stuff like a poker site does.

Stakes are kinda high, pretty sure they would sue the shit out of me if I got caught blatantly violating the whole reason for relocation. Haven't seen contract yet.

How do I beat this? Considering trying it for 3-6 months then moving. I'd really prefer to give myself a little buffer at this position to make sure I feel like it's worth it before really move.

Willing to ship a little money on Bovada for some legit help/advice.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Your employer firing you would be the least of your troubles. The Feds do not take too kindly to tax evasion. It does not sound like that is what you are doing, but that is how it would be construed to the naked eye.

And if its not tax evasion, they would start investigating further.

Best to be transparent in shit like this. Even if you are covert and it works, you'll be thinking about it every night anyway.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshot View Post

Don't want to relocate but being asked to. Employer is trying to avoid certain regulatory requirements by changing where they operate.

Thinking seriously about setting up computer in new area and using logmein or remotepc type of program. Will need to make phone appear from same area as well. Bulk of work will be done through computer via emails and phone calls.

Unsure whether employer's computer will have any shady spytech programs on it but assuming it will. Granted there is a very small chance they'd even consider I was doing this so I doubt they will be looking at the geography stuff like a poker site does.

Stakes are kinda high, pretty sure they would sue the shit out of me if I got caught blatantly violating the whole reason for relocation. Haven't seen contract yet.

How do I beat this? Considering trying it for 3-6 months then moving. I'd really prefer to give myself a little buffer at this position to make sure I feel like it's worth it before really move.

You can't ship money on Bovada, last I checked.

Anyway, I am confused here. You have an employer that is moving, and you are considering pretending to move, setting up a remote PC, and remaining in your current location? What if they want you to come into the office?

Are you sure that your location matters for their relocation?

For example, let's say a company moves from Vermont to New Hampshire because NH has easier regulations. That typically doesn't require every one of their telecommuting employees has to live in New Hampshire. They just need their headquarters and primary business to be done in NH.

I'll need more information here.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

You can't ship money on Bovada, last I checked.

Anyway, I am confused here. You have an employer that is moving, and you are considering pretending to move, setting up a remote PC, and remaining in your current location? What if they want you to come into the office?

Are you sure that your location matters for their relocation?

For example, let's say a company moves from Vermont to New Hampshire because NH has easier regulations. That typically doesn't require every one of their telecommuting employees has to live in New Hampshire. They just need their headquarters and primary business to be done in NH.

I'll need more information here.
    I'm guessing that the business is not relocating. He is already working remotely and they are asking him to relocate.

I recently experienced this where we have a sales employee who works out of his home office in Florida. Because he has his home office in Florida and is an employee of ours even though the corporate office is in a different state we now have to file an income tax return in Florida.

If that is the case, then they could be asking him to relocate so that they don't have to follow certain regulations/pay taxes that they would be subject to for having an employee in the state.

Skated Thru to PFA WP Title BHS's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Fuck - Didn't realize there weren't p2p transfers on Bovada.. Could have sworn they advertised that when I signed up the other day. Maybe I'll donate to freeroll at some point instead.

Anyway, the company is essentially staying put. The plan is to rename it/make a new company and move it out of state to avoid some regulation hassles.

So I would be in charge on the "new" company in another location, although nothing about the core company is changing besides the location/name. The only person that physically has to move is me, as I'd be in charge of the 'new company' from a new location. I won't have to come into an office right away, possibly ever.

I know that business must be conducted outside of the state to skirt the regulatory bullshit. Not sure on the specific rules, this was only brought to my attention recently when I was asked to do this.

Only a few of the company products have regulatory issues, the rest are fine. May wind up traveling to the out of state location for those specific product transactions, although I'm certain that wouldn't be a solution in the eyes of the employer.

My question is how do I work remote and not get caught? Specifically with the computer and phone stuff.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    If the company needs business to be done in that other state and you don't do it you will be lucky just to get fired. I see a lawsuit in your future and much trouble getting employed again.

If you are willing to go through all the cloak and dagger stuff some large money should be involved. Rent one of those corporate apartments or condos for 3 months. Your company seems to be at a disadvantage so ask them to pay the rent. Tell them you are going to commute by computer on Fridays and fly back home on Thursday night.

Load Metric
    Don't know about computer. I knew a degen in Pittsburgh who ran a sports pick service and used Vonage. They let you choose a phone number with any area code, so his line had a 702 Vegas area code to make it seem like he was delivering picks straight in the heart of the action.

Load Metric
    Fuck - Didn't realize there weren't p2p transfers on Bovada.. Could have sworn they advertised that when I signed up the other day. Maybe I'll donate to freeroll at some point instead.

Anyway, the company is essentially staying put. The plan is to rename it/make a new company and move it out of state to avoid some regulation hassles.

So I would be in charge on the "new" company in another location, although nothing about the core company is changing besides the location/name. The only person that physically has to move is me, as I'd be in charge of the 'new company' from a new location. I won't have to come into an office right away, possibly ever.

I know that business must be conducted outside of the state to skirt the regulatory bullshit. Not sure on the specific rules, this was only brought to my attention recently when I was asked to do this.

Only a few of the company products have regulatory issues, the rest are fine. May wind up traveling to the out of state location for those specific product transactions, although I'm certain that wouldn't be a solution in the eyes of the employer.

My question is how do I work remote and not get caught? Specifically with the computer and phone stuff.
    so in your 3rd post here you are asking advise on how to commit fraud

Load Metric
    Someone has difficulty with risk reward analysis.

The game is tough enough. You are looking to play in the most ideal circumstances possible. ideally, better circumstances than your opponents.

If you gotta get your gamble on there are endless opportunities far less difficult and prolly better EV.

The PFA community no doubt can offer you many alternatives for your gambling dollar.

Load Metric
    If you need to use this computer to remotely connect to another network, it probably won't work. Software like Cisco AnyConnect will refuse to connect to a remote system if the host system is itself being remotely logged into. It's a security feature.

Load Metric
    I still don't really get what is being asked, but this is not a hypothetical question.

Thread Information