Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back in the pizza biz......

Load Metric
    Good post China.

However, I wouldn't have signed the P&S until you got WillieMcFML to bless the deal.

I haven't seen pizza in Willie's range yet. But he plays tricky and has got some chops.

GL

Gold
    Load Metric
    I love dirty Greek pizza. Usually Greek pizza/sandwich spots suck Imo. But this place up the street from me kills Greek pizza. I wouldn't trust anything but pizza from those dirty Greeks up the street. But it's all like black cock in the end.

Load Metric
    If you havnt hired Sonatine as a consultant already then Ill see you on the bread line buddy. Also Tine did you ever eat at Gaspares on Geary when you lived here? If not we got a serious bro date when you're in town.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    But my favorite pizza in Vegas is Novecento. It's way the hell up north, but a good friend lives nearby so we go when I'm up there.

http://novecentopizza.com/

They only sell one size pizza, which is a big meal for one person or a decent meal for 2 people. They make it in front of you per your instructions a-la Subway, then cook it in a 900 degree oven for 2 minutes.

They use top top quality ingredients, at least as good as Grimaldi's. But what makes it the best is their sausage. It's made there and it's just fantastic shit.
    There is a place in SF now that does this, at least 2.
    Unreal when they can cook a pizza w/that fresh mozzarella.

It must be the heat, every time I have some left over cheese from a prosciutto sandwich, my homemade pizza comes out all wet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    But my favorite pizza in Vegas is Novecento. It's way the hell up north, but a good friend lives nearby so we go when I'm up there.

http://novecentopizza.com/

They only sell one size pizza, which is a big meal for one person or a decent meal for 2 people. They make it in front of you per your instructions a-la Subway, then cook it in a 900 degree oven for 2 minutes.

They use top top quality ingredients, at least as good as Grimaldi's. But what makes it the best is their sausage. It's made there and it's just fantastic shit.
    There is a place in SF now that does this, at least 2.
    Unreal when they can cook a pizza w/that fresh mozzarella.

It must be the heat, every time I have some left over cheese from a prosciutto sandwich, my homemade pizza comes out all wet.
    Humidity can be a factor in yeast dough, especially when you don't have a 500 degree+ pizza oven.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    Quality.

I drive 15 minutes out of the way to pay $20 for a large pizza at Grimaldi's.

There is another NY pizza place by me that sounds similar to what you are describing, and they have a high quality pizzas at about $16 a pop. I definitely go there over any of the Pizza Hut/Dominoes/Hungry Howies/Papa Johns type of joints.

I'm sure I'm an outlier though.

You still in NY?

Load Metric
    Hut,

If you havent already made efforts to secure the merchant services for the business, seriously, give me a shout. We can offer you some really low rates on accepting credit cards, and If you have an Iphone, we have a way for your drivers to accept credit cards for delivery orders.

For everyone reading this, we are doing payment processing, so if you would like your CC rates lowered, reach out.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    I worked in this business for a while and had my own place for a while and it actually profited. My problem was the bar I was in with went under but I was still making money off of the food side

1. Always offer a good special on 2 large cheese pizzas. This gets you bigger orders (familys) and you make money off all the other side orders and soda they order. Pizzas are relatively cheap to make

2. Soda is a big money maker as well as water. If you can DO NOT get this shit delivered. If you have time then buy it yourself in bulk @ like a BJS or a Supermarket. last I remember when I was working in a sub shop they charged A LOT for bottled soda and water.

You can pick up a case of good spring water for $4.00 and charge $1.50 a pop and profit $32 off of every case you sell. Soda is very similar at least for cans.

3. Always bread your own chicken fingers and cutlets. It is much cheaper and it tastes a hell of a lot better than the frozen shit.

4. Make a lot of specialty pizzas and charge markup on them. If they are good people will pay. Same with calzones. Not sure how you make your calzones but easiest way is to spin out a doughball like a pizza and pack half cheese bottom/ingredients middle, cheese top , flip dough over, cut 5 holes over the top and sprinle a little cheese and coat the top with butter. Always have 2 sizes of calzones as well.

5. Make your large pizzas 19 inches. People like big pizzas

6. Try not to deliver unless you absolutely have to

Obviously use as much fresh shit as you can.

I'm sure you know all of this. Best of luck!
    Be honest bro you ate the profits.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Hut,

If you havent already made efforts to secure the merchant services for the business, seriously, give me a shout. We can offer you some really low rates on accepting credit cards, and If you have an Iphone, we have a way for your drivers to accept credit cards for delivery orders.

For everyone reading this, we are doing payment processing, so if you would like your CC rates lowered, reach out.
    I setup a business with authorize.net and it literally took me a few hours work to do it including accepting payments online. Why would someone go with a startup processor given how cheap, easy, TRUSTWORTHY, and effective authnet is?

Oh and for the mobile app... http://www.authorize.net/solutions/m...ces/mobileapp/
    Last edited by Deal; 07-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The pizza business is very competitive but too many business owners are retarded so just don't do what they do and your already headed a step in the right direction....

Load Metric
    Hut,

Interesting, whats the name of your company?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Hut,

There's a few big ones doing this...

squareup
    intuit

Are you getting customers and can compete with the big boys?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Good post China.

However, I wouldn't have signed the P&S until you got WillieMcFML to bless the deal.

I haven't seen pizza in Willie's range yet. But he plays tricky and has got some chops.

GL
    lol, i actually managed a local pizza joint when i was 19

hut make sure you have really good wings and a good sandwich (like a chicago italian beef or philly cheesesteak)

like china said, if you are doing chicken fingers DEFINITELY bread them yourself.

try to stay away from prepackaged frozen bullshit. any place can order that crap from their supplier.

do like a $5 one topping special on Tuesdays, or half price appetizers on Wednesdays.

loss leaders will get new customers to give you a shot, and if you have good quality food they will come back and pay at full price

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBet View Post
    Use the highest quality ingredients. Can't be stressed enough.

Always have a "special" running, where you make some combo at a little bit of a cheaper price. Mix it up once in a while but don't get exotic with it, keep it to the staples that people order.
    The "specials" thing always confused me with pizza places.

Other than the ongoing 1-pizza specials, they are almost always terrible.

So like I'll see them advertise one two-topping large for $7.99, and then at the same time, you can get two two-topping larges and a 2-liter of soda for $23.99. So the "specials" are only a discount if you compare them to regular menu price, which almost nobody pays if you're even slightly paying attention.

I find this to be common at both independent and chain pizza places. I guess it must work in fooling large parties into ordering "good deals" that actually aren't.
    Not sure what backasswards pizza places you go to, but that is not at all typical.

Example would be like $14.99 for a large 2-top & Bread & 2-Liter, when normally it would be $17.49 or something if you bought separate. People love to feel like they're getting a deal and people hate buying everything "a la carte". This is extremely standard in every part of the country (except apparently where you live?)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Good post China.

GL

hut make sure you have really good wings and a good sandwich (like a chicago italian beef or philly cheesesteak)
    What is this?

Load Metric
    (like a chicago italian beef)
    What is this?
    A sloppy fuckin' mess, all too often.

Load Metric

What is this?
    you have to be fucking kidding me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef

Name:  P1220292.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  58.4 KB

better than a philly cheesesteak imo, if done right

a spicy giardiniera is the key, and the whole sandwich is dipped in au jus

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    What is this?
    you have to be fucking kidding me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef

Name:  P1220292.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  58.4 KB

better than a philly cheesesteak imo, if done right

a spicy giardiniera is the key, and the whole sandwich is dipped in au jus
    Philly cheese steaks are good but are way overrated, they are just steakum patties, shitty meat but when done right they taste good.

That type of steak in that pic is much better than a philly. Looks like shaved steak. Pic looks sorta like a steak bomb

Load Metric
    I am an independant contractor for Priority payment systems http://www.prioritypaymentsystems.com/

authorize.net is the gateway we would probably use

I get to price rates and fees however I want.

Load Metric
    [QUOTE=Deal;182631]
    Hut,

I setup a business with authorize.net and it literally took me a few hours work to do it including accepting payments online. Why would someone go with a startup processor given how cheap, easy, TRUSTWORTHY, and effective authnet is?

Oh and for the mobile app... http://www.authorize.net/solutions/m...ces/mobileapp/[/QUOTE
    +
    thats like saying, why would anyone use anyone but SQUARE, which is actually expensive if you are doing quite a few transactions where you have the credit card in your hand. 2.75%. or 3.50 +.15 if you dont have card present. They are for convenience.

I can get your rates much lower than that. Closer to 1% savings compared to square

sorry...late at night. Just got home. Was out drinking with people from Priority. Probably typos.

Thread Information