Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back in the pizza biz......

Silver
    Load Metric

Back in the pizza biz......

So today I am officially back in the pizza business. I signed the paperwork to purchase a 50 seat pizzeria. They currently offer dine-in, takeout and delivery. The menu is pretty standard....pizza, wings, breadsticks, salads, soda, beer and wine. Beer is currently bottles only but once the license gets transferred I will add draft. Currently it does about $500,000 per year or about $10,000 per week in sales. I plan on hiring 408, Heeb and Jewdonk as delivery drivers! LOL In all seriousness what motivates you to buy from one pizza place versus another......is it price? quality? time to get delivered? If it's price, is it because of your financial situation or because you are a fellow Jew? How much would the ability to get beer delivered influence your choice for delivery? If you have kids, how do they influence your choice of pizza shops? Just looking for some ideas to add to my already long list. TIA for your CONSTRUCTIVE input.

Comments

LLL: Congrats and GL!

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quality.

I drive 15 minutes out of the way to pay $20 for a large pizza at Grimaldi's.

There is another NY pizza place by me that sounds similar to what you are describing, and they have a high quality pizzas at about $16 a pop. I definitely go there over any of the Pizza Hut/Dominoes/Hungry Howies/Papa Johns type of joints.

I'm sure I'm an outlier though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    So today I am officially back in the pizza business. I signed the paperwork to purchase a 50 seat pizzeria. They currently offer dine-in, takeout and delivery. The menu is pretty standard....pizza, wings, breadsticks, salads, soda, beer and wine. Beer is currently bottles only but once the license gets transferred I will add draft. Currently it does about $500,000 per year or about $10,000 per week in sales. I plan on hiring 408, Heeb and Jewdonk as delivery drivers! LOL In all seriousness what motivates you to buy from one pizza place versus another......is it price? quality? time to get delivered? If it's price, is it because of your financial situation or because you are a fellow Jew? How much would the ability to get beer delivered influence your choice for delivery? If you have kids, how do they influence your choice of pizza shops? Just looking for some ideas to add to my already long list. TIA for your CONSTRUCTIVE input.

what state?

Silver
    Load Metric
    California......current dough is a pan pizza, I will add a Chicago style thin crust and a hand-tossed NY style to the mix.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    California......current dough is a pan pizza, I will add a Chicago style thin crust and a hand-tossed NY style to the mix.
    I pass through your area sometimes. If you PM me the name of your place, I will stop there and give my honest opinion of it.

People like pizza places because of the taste of the pizza. It's that simple. If the pizza is good, word will get around and you will do well. If it sucks or is mediocre, you will fail.

Keep in mind that it's especially important to make better pizza than big chains like Domino's or Papa John's, or otherwise people will just go for the known quantity.

Obviously provide good customer service and treat the regulars well, but I know that you already are aware of this, as you are typically on my side when I talk about idiot small business owners driving away my regular business over stupid shit.

GL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I pass through your area sometimes. If you PM me the name of your place, I will stop there and give my honest opinion of it.

People like pizza places because of the taste of the pizza. It's that simple. If the pizza is good, word will get around and you will do well. If it sucks or is mediocre, you will fail.

Keep in mind that it's especially important to make better pizza than big chains like Domino's or Papa John's, or otherwise people will just go for the known quantity.

Obviously provide good customer service and treat the regulars well, but I know that you already are aware of this, as you are typically on my side when I talk about idiot small business owners driving away my regular business over stupid shit.

GL
    have to agree with druff on that point...id go to dominos over a local shop if the local shop's quality/taste was worse...id pay up a buck or two if the local shop had better quality/taste...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, may I suggest that you put a phone number where customers can reach you at all times (even if it's just a voicemail), and make it visible at the cash register.

Something like, "Any comments on our food or service? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx". This makes it easier for you to assess what's really going on at your restaurant, and prevents managers from going on a power trip, fucking with people, and keeping you from finding out.

You can explain it to the manager just that you like hearing directly from the customers, as it gives you a better feel for the place.

Load Metric
    If you need help with the management side, I know a guy with experience that could use a job.

Comments

BUBBLES:

Belly Buster: nice reuse. need a :juan

Load Metric
    Sounds like a lot of work. GL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    I am a quality over price person although that doesn't mean I'd never order from Domino's.

The beer thing doesn't really matter unless you are going to offer some good craft brews.

I don't have kids, but from what I have seen the kids pick the pizza place almost 100%. It is probably good to have a no frills, very little sauce(and taste) kids peperoni pizza on the menu.

Load Metric

GL

Don't do it, Hut! You'll end up owing Druff a free order of wings or more on his next visit to make up for whatever he finds wrong with the service.

Comments

ShadyJ: fuckin moron
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quality for sure for me but you need to look at the demos in your area and understand what influences the people in that particular area. Also you could always do both, call your cheaper pizza like a speed pizza or some shit (ie little caesars hot and readys) and just use woat ingredients.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

GL

Don't do it, Hut! You'll end up owing Druff a free order of wings or more on his next visit to make up for whatever he finds wrong with the service.

This is so funny !! Say it ain't so Druff - you won't complain will ya ?!? 😀

Load Metric
    Let me know if you need a website, menu or flyer design. Yes, i've done a couple of pizza places already. Congrats hutmaster 2.0!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

This is so funny !! Say it ain't so Druff - you won't complain will ya ?!? 
    Obviously outed yourself as a noob

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bukowski72 View Post
    I am a quality over price person although that doesn't mean I'd never order from Domino's.

The beer thing doesn't really matter unless you are going to offer some good craft brews.

I don't have kids, but from what I have seen the kids pick the pizza place almost 100%. It is probably good to have a no frills, very little sauce(and taste) kids peperoni pizza on the menu.

Which is how I end up at CiCi's pizza buffet once a month with unlimited diarrhea the next day. The kids eat like 3 slices of pizza and a couple desserts and then beg to go play video games, thank god for free wifi.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bukowski72 View Post

Which is how I end up at CiCi's pizza buffet once a month with unlimited diarrhea the next day. The kids eat like 3 slices of pizza and a couple desserts and then beg to go play video games, thank god for free wifi.
    lol cicis pizza, I've only been there twice. Once because I was at Alberts and for some reason we walked acrossed the street to eat CiCi's and obviously the other time was for my nieces lol

pretty fail pizza

also shout out to alberts being filled with part time strippers

Comments

danzo: alberts rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitp View Post

This is so funny !! Say it ain't so Druff - you won't complain will ya ?!? 
    Obviously outed yourself as a noob

Obv u don't see the ribbing

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

lol cicis pizza, I've only been there twice. Once because I was at Alberts and for some reason we walked acrossed the street to eat CiCi's and obviously the other time was for my nieces lol

pretty fail pizza

also shout out to alberts being filled with part time strippers

So last week I went to Cloverleaf and..

Name:  cloverleaf pizza 4d 1k.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  214.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I go for the balance of good/great pizza that isn't extremely over priced.

If a pizza is $14 for a large, don't have a lot of cheese on it, toppings are skimped on, and overall dough texture is bad then that pizza is shit value for what you get. This type of pizza is more your $7-10 range (or less). I won't buy this particular pizza if it costs $14 more then once.

If your pizza is loaded up on toppings, cheese, has a good dough/bread texture, and some nice spices/sauce that blend well with it making it taste good then I'll gladly pay $12+ for a large.

Most of the time I go for the balance between these as far as a pizza that tastes good and is reasonably priced. We have some good local places that are $7 to $9 for a large (carryout) that tastes not only better then your typical pizza hut or dominoes but tastes better then some of you sit down restuarant/pub/bar type of pizzas that they are charging like $16 for the same thing.

This supreme pizza I get once every couple months at a local place. This is more expensive at $18 but not really that costly considering it's a lot of pizza and I'm eating it for the next 3 days or so.

Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 07-16-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Thread Information