Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** Official California Gay Marriage Thread ***

Load Metric

*** Official California Gay Marriage Thread ***

From George Takei this morning:

"Today marks a watershed moment in history and a tremendous victory for the principle of equality. The 5-4 decision by our Supreme Court striking down DOMA affirms the universality of love--the desire of all people not only to find, but to value and affirm, a lifelong commitment to another person.

I have lived nearly four score years, and have borne witness to both the heartbreak and promise of true justice and equality in America. Today my heart soars, and my faith in the promise of our great nation is renewed."

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,6846934.story

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court struck down a key part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act on Wednesday and declared that same-sex couples who are legally married deserve equal rights to the benefits under federal law that go to all other married couples.

The decision is a landmark win for the gay rights movement. It voids a section of the law known as DOMA, which was adopted with bipartisan support in Congress in 1996 to deny all benefits and recognition to same-sex couples.

At that time, no state permitted gays and lesbians to marry. Now, 12 states and the District of Columbia authorize same-sex marriages.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Load Metric
    "In the wake of the ruling, California Gov. Brown said that he had directed his administration to tell counties they must begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples as soon as a lower court takes care of a procedural step."

You can make a fortune in the next few months in California if you are in the wedding business. Over/under on the number of gay weddings through December?

Load Metric
    Where this is good for the movement in places like California, in other states it is just meaningless right now.

I know a lot of people are celebrating acting like gay marriage is legal now, but they don't understand that all this did was allow gay couples to have the same benefits of a married couple IF they're allowed to be married in that state.

I understand it's a victory, but people really need to read into what they're celebrating more.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    "In the wake of the ruling, California Gov. Brown said that he had directed his administration to tell counties they must begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples as soon as a lower court takes care of a procedural step."

You can make a fortune in the next few months in California if you are in the wedding business. Over/under on the number of gay weddings through December?
    I bet gay male weddings have fantastic food and dancing.

Comments

Deal: and disgusting bathroom scenes

nunbeater: women's bathrooms are way worse trust me

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    The economic boost is significant. For this reason alone it's a good idea. It sort of amazes me that people have any desire at all to allow their State/Country as a witness to their personal vows. However. as you wish. Have fun.

Comments

4BET: Go away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post

I know a lot of people are celebrating acting like gay marriage is legal now, but they don't understand that all this did was allow gay couples to have the same benefits of a married couple IF they're allowed to be married in that state.

I understand it's a victory, but people really need to read into what they're celebrating more.
    Pretty sure everyone who cares knows EXACTLY what the ruling is about, and its extraordinarily notable. The people who don't seem to understand what rulings like this mean are oftentimes the same ones who think legal gay marriage means their priests will be forced by the government to perform marriages against their religion and their will. The majority of those who actively support gay marriage, or rather, actively oppose any ban on gay marriage, know very well that there's still a shitload of work to do in certain areas, and are under no illusions that this decision did anything but remove a federal roadblock to equal marriage.

Comments

Corrigan: Crowe

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Pretty sure everyone who cares knows EXACTLY what the ruling is about, and its extraordinarily notable.
    Pretty sure I had about 4 people on facebook celebrating that they can get married now.
    Last edited by anonamoose; 06-26-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    The economic boost is significant. For this reason alone it's a good idea. It sort of amazes me that people have any desire at all to allow their State/Country as a witness to their personal vows. However. as you wish. Have fun.
    I'm surprised at everyone saying this will be such an economic boost. If it goes full equal (which IMO it should be) will there be lost tax revenue/etc on all the things gays are being ripped off on?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    I'm surprised at everyone saying this will be such an economic boost. If it goes full equal (which IMO it should be) will there be lost tax revenue/etc on all the things gays are being ripped off on?
    Oh it will stimulate the economy - have no doubt. Weddings are ridiculously expensive - I mean crazy out of whack overpriced. This article mentions a few numbers New York boasted when they legalized gay marriage: http://sites.psu.edu/deliacarr/2013/...g-the-economy/

I'll bet there will be at least a small upswing in apartment and home sales as a result as well.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Oh it will stimulate the economy - have no doubt. Weddings are ridiculously expensive - I mean crazy out of whack overpriced. This article mentions a few numbers New York boasted when they legalized gay marriage: http://sites.psu.edu/deliacarr/2013/...g-the-economy/

I'll bet there will be at least a small upswing in apartment and home sales as a result as well.

Not to mention the lawyers that will be feasting on divorce settlements..... just comes with the territory.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Pretty sure everyone who cares knows EXACTLY what the ruling is about, and its extraordinarily notable.
    Pretty sure I had about 4 people on facebook celebrating that they can get married now.
    If they live in California, that is what the Prop 8 ruling today means. There were 2 big rulings today, DOMA was only one of them.

Load Metric
    I'm all in favor of the gays being allowed to be as bored and miserable as everyone else.

Load Metric
    Guy from Family Research Council says on CNN DOMA decision adversely affects florists, forced to change way they do business.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The gay marriage movement got "over the hump" a few years ago, and is now moving full steam ahead. It will be completely legal in most of the US very soon. Part of the Republican "recovery" should include opening up to gays, supporting gay marriage (or at least being neutral on it), and getting votes from the gay community, many of whom are affluent and otherwise conservative politically.

I used to be against gay marriage, but have come around over the past few years to change my mind on it. There are always going to be gay people, for most of them it's not a choice, and they are going to be in relationships. So why not let them marry?

Load Metric
    Government has no business in religion. They need to get rid of the filing jointly benefit immediately. They also must stop handing out marriage licenses. Completely unconstitutional. Only issue I see about the Supreme's re-defining what marriage means is that now the Mormons and people who love their pets way to much will have a claim to the State now that they too can self-define what marriage means to them.

Comments

Deal: Amen!

Corrigan: figures you would make the marry pets argument

PLOL: Arnold facePalmer

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, George Takei has a ghost writer on Facebook.

I wouldn't be surprised if his statement here was ghost-written.

LOL @ anyone who thought George Takei spent all day browsing the web for funny links to post and came up with clever things to say on a daily basis.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Government has no business in religion. They need to get rid of the filing jointly benefit immediately. They also must stop handing out marriage licenses. Completely unconstitutional. Only issue I see about the Supreme's re-defining what marriage means is that now the Mormons and people who love their pets way to much will have a claim to the State now that they too can self-define what marriage means to them.
    Don't see the big deal with Mormon multi-marriages. And I like how I can usually count on one hand the number of minutes that go by before somebody mentions a guy and a dog getting married in a debate about gay marriage. A dog can't consent to getting married. It's a pretty ridiculous argument. But I would go to a wedding between two dogs, I think that'd be nice.

I love the "slippery slope" point people try to make. "If we allow gay marriage, what's next? Something else will happen that is also NONE OF MY FUCKING BUSINESS?" There was a Fox News anchor who sent out this tweet after the ruling: "How long before federal agents haul pastors out of the pulpit?". Umm... what?

There are always going to be gay people, for most of them it's not a choice,
    It's funny, I was talking to this guy who was straight but said he wishes being gay was a choice because he'd rather be gay. Lol, I guess that's the world we're living in now.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    "If we allow gay marriage, what's next?"
    Incest imo

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Also, George Takei has a ghost writer on Facebook.

I wouldn't be surprised if his statement here was ghost-written.

LOL @ anyone who thought George Takei spent all day browsing the web for funny links to post and came up with clever things to say on a daily basis.
    I rarely ever watch "reality" TV, but I watched part of the one season of the celebrity apprentice because Adam Carolla was on. Takei was also on there and he seemed like a bumbling idiot who still clings to his Star Trek fame. These ghost writers on his facebook have done a remarkable job of making him seem like a genius.

The only facebook page that I seem to have many friends share stuff from that I dislike more than Takei is the "I fucking love science" shit....where about half the shit they post on there has some sort of agenda and is factually untrue.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    "If we allow gay marriage, what's next?"
    Incest imo
    Give it up. An inflection point has been hit. The gays have won the cultural debate
    TRUMP 2024!

Thread Information