Thread: Upgrade to first class for $90?

Platinum
    Load Metric

Upgrade to first class for $90?

Snap called! I'll be smashed before I get to Vegas, looking forward to the airport long haul
    Anyone need a drunken rail at the WSOP?

Be in at 6

Load Metric
    Which airlines offered you a first class upgrade for only $90?

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Which airlines offered you a first class upgrade for only $90?

First class upgrades are cheap if it is domestic. I am guessing he is on a 2-4 hour flight.

Load Metric
    First class domestically is still pretty pathetic, I never opt for it.

When flying abroad it's a necessity if you can afford. Emirates and Qatar first class were definitely worth the upgrade. Lufthansa not as much.

Load Metric
    Haters gonna hate.

:balling doesn't work ....and can't find original due to dd 3.0's fail.

Name:  zji9zr.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  30.8 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    First class domestically is still pretty pathetic, I never opt for it.

When flying abroad it's a necessity if you can afford. Emirates and Qatar first class were definitely worth the upgrade. Lufthansa not as much.
    This is true for the most part. The main reason I do first class nearly every time is the ease at which you can change your fight. I go to Vegas a lot and I dont think I have ever stuck to both my scheduled arrival and departure times.

If you can get spring for 1st class/Business on International it is amazing. This is generally how I roll:

Name:  roll.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  126.4 KB

Load Metric
    I agree with cmoney. First/business internationally is baller. It's a waste of money domestic though. I wouldn't bother to fly first/business under 5 hours. It's just not worth the money.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    US airways which is shit...currently sitting in Phoenix.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Unless you can pound down drinks as fast as Wade Boggs the first class option is a bit steep for flights from one US city to another. Even if your on a flight where you get a meal if your headed to Vegas why not just eat someplace nice when you arrive?

Comments

Tegnation22: Wade Boggs Alcoholic Rep

Load Metric
    I almost always upgrade when flying to Vegas. On Alaska Air flying from Bellingham W.A. it is a $50 up grade 2.5 hr flite, and you get comfy chair, free checked baggage, snacks,as much Vodka or... as you can drink, meal, preferred boarding and on the way home there is a first class lounge to get breakfast (you need to have amex platnum or better to get into the lounge i think though.) all and all i think it is worth the extra fifty almost a no-brainer.

have fun in Vegas!!
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Unless you can pound down drinks as fast as Wade Boggs the first class option is a bit steep for flights from one US city to another. Even if your on a flight where you get a meal if your headed to Vegas why not just eat someplace nice when you arrive?

I've never flown with a US based airline whose meal I liked in First Class.

List of airlines I've flown where food was good in First:

Korean Air
    Air Canada
    Air China

List of airlines I've flown where food was good in coach:

Korean Air
    China Southern

IMO the two best airlines are Air Canada and Korean Air. I haven't flown Singapore Air yet though. I hear they are by a long shot the best of the best.

Load Metric
    Qatar Airways is the best I've ever flown, Etihad being a close second.

My girlfriend is Nepali and those airlines connect me to Nepal, India or wherever we're traveling to in SE Asia (WROMHOEL partially funded Malaysia and Dubai)

I stick with Qatar whenever possible now, mainly due to mileage points but also because service and food are both really good. Having space to move around on a 13-14 hour flight is essential.

Business/first class is a must when flying out of Middle East to final destination due to slews of smelly migrant workers returning home and discovering unlimited JW Red for the first time. The stereotype of Indian people stinking is sadly true; probably due to a combination of no deodorant and curry-based diet. Regardless, a 6-7 hour journey in economy with those drunken animals makes any flight miserable.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Funny, I just did exactly that -- upgraded to First Class for a flight I'm taking in July for $90.

The fact that you get free checked bags actually brings the cost down below $90, obviously.

Yes, domestic airlines have crappy first class, but when you are well over 6 feet tall, you are happy to have the extra room. The lack of the whole "cramped" feeling is also nice. I don't drink, so I won't benefit from that part of it.

I usually don't fly first class domestically, but I couldn't resist that one. This flight also involves a stop, so I am getting both legs of the flight first class for $90 total (minus the $25 I would have otherwise paid for a checked bag), so it was a no-brainer.

You also get some kind of free food, but I have heard the food sometimes sucks, and is in fact at times inferior to the $8 sandwiches you can buy in coach.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Had 4 drinks...plus free bag check plus slightly better snacks, and I'm 6'3"
    So not terrible but I get a free bag on the way back already

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    US airways

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Qatar Airways is the best I've ever flown....
    I was surprised how good their food was. DC to Doha.... lamb and rice... yum.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Funny, I just did exactly that -- upgraded to First Class for a flight I'm taking in July for $90.

The fact that you get free checked bags actually brings the cost down below $90, obviously.

Yes, domestic airlines have crappy first class, but when you are well over 6 feet tall, you are happy to have the extra room. The lack of the whole "cramped" feeling is also nice. I don't drink, so I won't benefit from that part of it.

I usually don't fly first class domestically, but I couldn't resist that one. This flight also involves a stop, so I am getting both legs of the flight first class for $90 total (minus the $25 I would have otherwise paid for a checked bag), so it was a no-brainer.

You also get some kind of free food, but I have heard the food sometimes sucks, and is in fact at times inferior to the $8 sandwiches you can buy in coach.
    I get first class (business class) going to vegas now cause what druff said. When you are over 6 feet and are a supersised guy like me some planes can be brutal especially when you have another big guy next to you.

$500 usually does the trick to vegas for 1st class on air tran or southwest (which has air tran planes now)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I get first class (business class) going to vegas now cause what druff said. When you are over 6 feet and are a supersised guy like me some planes can be brutal especially when you have another big guy next to you.

$500 usually does the trick to vegas for 1st class on air tran or southwest (which has air tran planes now)
    I'm just a hair under 6 feet tall, but my legs are bit longer than they should be at this height. I do know what you mean about the leg room. I usually have to force my legs into extremely awkward positions in coach, but I can deal with it for about 5 hours.

I think this is mostly due to the fact that I've flown several times in coach on Chinese airlines which are way worse in terms of leg room since the majority of the people are so small. You get about half the leg room you normally get and even at just a hair under 6 feet my head goes way above the top of the seat. So I kind of got used to it after a while.

Thread Information