Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feminist musician is pissed that she's treated like a woman

Load Metric

Feminist musician is pissed that she's treated like a woman

I guess we should just take away her status as "famous" then because without tits no one would care.

Grimes rails against sexism and the double standards she says she has faced as a female musician in an open letter the Canadian pop singer posted on Tumblr. "I don't want to have to compromise my morals in order to make a living," she begins, before going into a series of definitive statements.

The singer defended her art, her artistic identity and herself in the post. "I don't want to be molested at shows or on the street by people who perceive me as an object that exists for their personal satisfaction," she wrote (though she later clarified in a follow-up post that she's not talking about meeting fans while out in public). She's also frustrated with condescending advice. "I'm tired of men who aren't professional or even accomplished musicians continually offering to 'help me out' (without being asked), as if I did this by accident and I'm gonna flounder without them," she wrote. "Or as if the fact that I'm a woman makes me incapable of using technology. I have never seen this kind of thing happen to any of my male peers."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2WszmZGBA
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
    What a lot of musicians fail to understand in this day and age is it really is it is a lot about appearance and being a woman musician helps 100 fold over being a male musician. The statement "as if I did this by accident" feels like she's implying that she's more talented than anyone who tries to give her advice. She needs brought down from her throne to see that there are thousands of unknown artists that are world's better than her that aren't discovered. I think a little bit of advice from peers whether male or female should be taken and not passed off as a passive aggressive way of saying "you're a woman so you're clueless".

I can understand the whole not wanting to be physically harassed thing, but I mean that's not going to change. That's just the industry.

To be honest, her music kind of really sucks. I don't even want to bother posting any of it because it's that bad.

Edit: Also I like the statement that she doesn't want to be used for personal satisfaction. Does she not know what the entertainment industry is?

Load Metric
    lol @ the french.

Looks like the redhead from Game of Thrones, but without all that talent getting in the way.

Why did you post this? I could have gone a lifetime without knowing of this undeserving idiots existence.

Load Metric
    a legitimate rape would bring this cunt back down to earth

Comments

4Dragons: a mongo post

Vwls: Horrible

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    lol @ the french.

Looks like the redhead from Game of Thrones, but without all that talent getting in the way.

Why did you post this? I could have gone a lifetime without knowing of this undeserving idiots existence.
    Not sure tbh. I just got so raged when I read it I had to pass along some of that rage.

I'm all for gender equality, but this is a step in the wrong direction. I hate when someone claiming to be a "feminist" tries to take steps into the direction of women independence instead of stepping towards a cohabitation of equality. Though, that's all there seems to be anymore.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    lol @ the french.

Not sure tbh. I just got so raged when I read it I had to pass along some of that rage.

I'm all for gender equality, but this is a step in the wrong direction. I hate when someone claiming to be a "feminist" tries to take steps into the direction of women independence instead of stepping towards a cohabitation of equality. Though, that's all there seems to be anymore.
    I've always felt that feminism was a way for ugly girls to beat down the pretty girls. Other than that it's just another way for certain types of politicians to divide and conquer with single issue voters. In other words, if you're a woman somewhere in the African plains, feminism doesn't mean shit.

Comments

gut: +1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsSatire View Post
    a legitimate rape would bring this cunt back down to earth
    sorry fellas im a bit rusty, i meant to say a legitimate rape would knock this cunt off her high horse

Load Metric

I've always felt that feminism was a way for ugly girls to beat down the pretty girls. Other than that it's just another way for certain types of politicians to divide and conquer with single issue voters. In other words, if you're a woman somewhere in the African plains, feminism doesn't mean shit.
    the general term "feminism" is a joke now. There are so many different facets/factions of it, that the word now generally encompasses any sort of behavior a woman does. Want to be a man-hating dyke? That's one kind of feminism. Want to remain sexually pure and not give up your body for just any average guy? There is another form of feminism. Want to be a whore and be sexually aggressive like your male counterparts? Feminsim also.....

Load Metric
    Name:  tumblr_miqt3efUqt1r9lcmto1_500.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  40.7 KB

Load Metric

Really. Surprised you are looking at this from such a shallow vantage point. If it wasn't for feminism, women wouldn't even be allowed to vote. Do you realize how many women are raped just here in America in a single day? Feminism is about changing the way we all view gender; it impacts the relationships between women and men as well as helps men. It has fuckall to do with pretty versus ugly other than the fact that when you're pretty, you tend to get treated better, so it's easier to be lazy about your activism. Thought you were enlightened on this shit.

Comments

GambleBotsSatire: Horrible
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post

Really. Surprised you are looking at this from such a shallow vantage point. If it wasn't for feminism, women wouldn't even be allowed to vote. Do you realize how many women are raped just here in America in a single day? Feminism is about changing the way we all view gender; it impacts the relationships between women and men as well as helps men. It has fuckall to do with pretty versus ugly other than the fact that when you're pretty, you tend to get treated better, so it's easier to be lazy about your activism. Thought you were enlightened on this shit.
    All the feminism in the world won't stop a single rape, sorry. What feminism has changed in the relationship between women and men is the divorce rate and children growing up without their fathers. I have no opinion on the voter issue since candidates are pre-selected by someone other than 'we the people' these days.

Load Metric
    All the feminism in the world won't stop a single rape, sorry. What feminism has changed in the relationship between women and men is the divorce rate and children growing up without their fathers. I have no opinion on the voter issue since candidates are pre-selected by someone other than 'we the people' these days.
    Maybe both men and women still have a little adjusting to do.

Comments

Vwls: Of course - long way to go my friend.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    As with all complex progress things tend to get worse in some areas as they get better in others. In the past there were just far more unhappy marriages. Those don't benefit the kids either. I don't respect the institution of marriage at all and have never married. What I do respect is a couple that stays together in a power balanced relationship and works through their problems. I'm glad there are fewer of those marriages where one individual (male) held all the power and would dominate the will of the other. The feminist movement changed the balance for the better. Still some work to do.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: +1

Vwls: Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    What feminism has changed in the relationship between women and men is the divorce rate and children growing up without their fathers.

Load Metric

You haven't been paying attention.

Comments

4Dragons: great arguement

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post

As with all complex progress things tend to get worse in some areas as they get better in others. In the past there were just far more unhappy marriages. Those don't benefit the kids either. I don't respect the institution of marriage at all and have never married. What I do respect is a couple that stays together in a power balanced relationship and works through their problems. I'm glad there are fewer of those marriages where one individual (male) held all the power and would dominate the will of the other. The feminist movement changed the balance for the better. Still some work to do.
    Never said I was against equality of the sexes. I'm not fucking blind either.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Maybe both men and women still have a little adjusting to do.
    You're gonna love this one monger:

Load Metric
    I've always felt that feminism was a way for ugly girls to beat down the pretty girls. .

I've always felt that it's fat ugly guys such as yourself who think like this.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Perfect

4Dragons: consistantly wrong, pathetic troll
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Like labor unions, civil rights laws, and many other modern reforms, feminism was necessary at one point to provide women with much-needed equality.

Unfortunately, also like those other reforms, now we have gone the other direction where those who were formerly "oppressed" frequently use it as a crutch to blame for their own failures.

Are you terrible at your job and got fired? If you're not white, you can cry racism. If you're not male, you can cry sexism. If you're not straight, you can cry homophobia. This makes it often impossible to tell the difference between legitimate discriminatory situations and someone just using these claims to win a bogus lawsuit.

In college, I once had an argument with a feminist regarding female safety at frat parties.

The feminist claimed that the rapes that occur at frat parties must be stopped by "educating" the would-be rapists not to commit rape.

I told her that this was ridiculous -- that you will always have a certain scumbag segment of the male population who will rape, no matter how much you "educate". I told her that the true solution to stopping this was both to teach girls how to keep themselves safe and avoid getting themselves in vulnerable situations, as well as more aggressively prosecuting and sentencing the rapists.

She disagreed.

"Women should have the right to get as drunk as they want at parties, and shouldn't have to worry about getting raped," she told me.

"I agree," I replied, "But that's never going to happen. Your efforts would be much better aimed at telling other women how to avoid these situations than telling the men how evil they are, and how to be less evil."

She still didn't agree.

That's when I realized that this was a lot more about hating men than keeping women safe, and I ended the conversation.

Load Metric
    Feminism teaches people to think of both genders as equal and causes people to treat one another with the respect due human beings. As such, it changes the way we view one another, helps us to question gender traits we take for granted, and accept that women can be strong, men can have emotions other than anger, etc. it changes the way people raise their sones, which in turn, changes the way those sons grow up and handle their sexual urges. It influences the laws we pass and the way we adjudicate. It makes pathways for women to hold positions of respect and authority. So yes, it does cut down on violence toward women, rape, and injustice. Of course we have a long way to go, but we are getting better, little by little.

As far as fathers being absent from their children's lives, that is still a huge problem, particularly in cultures that have been subjugated and/or suffer from poverty. However, as we move toward a more enlightened vantage point, and men are given support and societal approbation to express their nurturing side, this too will be impacted.

The fact is that all of us are living in a culture deeply influenced by feminism and we benefit from it in ways we take for granted every day. Yes there is a downside to relearning ignorant behaviors, and there are militant examples of every social movement that turn us off from the core message. But anyone who has a daughter can appreciate that as little as two generations ago, that daughters best hope for a bright future was marriage to a man who wouldn't beat her, or a career as a school teacher, nurse or waitress. Think about how much has changed and how many avenues are now available for your daughters to express their talents and contribute to our lives.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Load Metric
    If you want fathers to be more involved with their children, you support Euro-style laws requiring 1 year of fully paid maternity leave plus 6 months fully paid specifically for fathers. Right?

Thread Information