Thread: Wrong in so many ways: JUSTICES: CHOPPER RAID NOT COERCIVE

Load Metric

Wrong in so many ways: JUSTICES: CHOPPER RAID NOT COERCIVE

A 78 year old man with pot and two armed army helicopters needed to take him down??

NM State Supreme Court Upholds Seizure of 14 Pot Plants in Taos Area

An Army helicopter hovering overhead, officers armed with semiautomatic weapons and a fleet of law enforcement vehicles didn't constitute illegal coercion when a 72-year-old man gave permission for a search of his Taos County home, the state Supreme Court has ruled.

That means a guilty plea by Norman Davis, now 78, for possession of marijuana apparently will stand.

The State Police operation that resulted in Davis' arrest - dubbed "Yerba Buena 2006" - was seeking pot plantations, and it included personnel from the Game and Fish Department, the National Guard and a regional drug enforcement task force. Two Army helicopters were used.

The raid on Davis' house took place after a spotter in one of the helicopters observed "vegetation" in Davis' greenhouse and plants behind his home. The raid netted 14 marijuana plants, which Davis said were for personal use.

Davis was charged with possession of 8 ounces or more of marijuana, a fourth-degree felony, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Davis' lawyers argued in court filings that the helicopter surveillance of his house violated the federal and state constitutions and that his consent to the search was not voluntary.

But as the Supreme Court noted in its decision last week, Davis did in fact sign a consent form allowing the search of his house, after some hesitation.

One of the responding officers told him police would obtain a search warrant within about 30 minutes if Davis refused. "Well, I guess I don't really have any options here, do I?" Davis said before signing the form, according to audio from the officer's belt recorder that is cited in court records.

When first asked, he said. "I'm not really thrilled with you searching my house" and "I don't know if I should do this."

Davis had gotten out of bed after being bothered by the noise of the helicopter hovering as low as 50 feet over his house, the Supreme Court decision says. Five or six law enforcement vehicles and about that many ground officers showed up along with the chopper.

Davis couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday. In 2011, he told the Journal the case was about more than constitutional search-and-seizure questions.

"It's like a big, stupid mistake," he said. "Hundreds and billions of dollars are being spent to put people in jail for growing a harmless weed."

In 2007, Davis entered a guilty plea, conditioned on the outcome of an appeal, to one count of possession of a controlled substance. His motion to suppress evidence from the police raid had been denied at the trial court level. Davis was placed on one year's unsupervised probation and then took the case to the state Court of Appeals.

Before the case reached the Supreme Court, Davis got some sympathy as his motion to suppress the evidence moved through the courts.

The district judge who refused to throw out the evidence did find "merit to the claim that police swooped in as if they were in a state of war, searching for weapons or terrorist activity."

District Judge John Paternoster of Taos found the search "just barely permissible," according to the case narrative in state Court of Appeals records.

The Court of Appeals court ruled in Davis' favor, and for throwing out the evidence found in the search. The appeals court asserted that Davis' consent was "the product of duress and coercion or acquiescence."

Load Metric
    US Supreme court obv

Fuck this police state shit

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information